0302: "Names"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

IntoxicatedInsight

Postby IntoxicatedInsight » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:57 pm UTC

FFF8E7 wrote:I often find myself being greeted by random people and wondering, "Who the hell is that? Why do they know me?"

This happens to me too. The hard part is trying to have a conversation with them.

I generally try to avoid saying names as it's not that hard, and eventually someone else will say it in front of you, failing that I tend to just make a joke of it. For some reason I don't feel as bad when it's someone I know well, probably because I find it quite amusing.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:01 pm UTC

Oh man, I just remembered, my aunt was at the store where I work and I couldnt even remember who she was exactly :S until she reminded me.

Although, thats probably because she comes to hardly any family gatherings any more :(
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

TheKhakinator
the next small girl on KRNT radio

Postby TheKhakinator » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:16 pm UTC

I was once in the city, and I heard my name. I turned around to see a girl looking at me. I looked at her trying to figure out who she was. I had no idea... and realising I had now been staring at her for 30 seconds I walked away quickly. I then realised about a month later who it was.

richlayers

Postby richlayers » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:28 pm UTC

Lester :P wrote:
I agree with the critics of this comic though, I thought when Tesla Coil came out that Randall was back to his usual brilliance, but it's slowly slipping away.

I want the originality that attracted me to the thing!

I can't say I was disappointed in this at all. But that could be because my name is Rachel, and it was fun to see it in xkcd print....

Randall? Are you trying to tell me something? 8)

space_raptor

Postby space_raptor » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:32 pm UTC

The alt text needs to GET OUT OF MY HEAD.

I think it was a great comic. Not every strip needs to be the ultimate in nerdgasm humour. Also, it's free, so I've got no complaints.

Keith wrote:I always just ask them how to spell their name.

This could turn out to be awkward during sex, when you're all "Say my name!" and she's like, "Uhh, how do you spell it exactly?"
The drinking will continue until morale improves.

richlayers

Postby richlayers » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:35 pm UTC

space_raptor wrote:
Keith wrote:I always just ask them how to spell their name.

This could turn out to be awkward during sex, when you're all "Say my name!" and she's like, "Uhh, how do you spell it exactly?"

FTW :D

MissingDividends

Postby MissingDividends » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:43 pm UTC

thedancecmmndr wrote:I'm a summer camp counselor. We get 30 new kids every single week. And all the names I learn by the end of the first day are forgotten when they come in the next day wearing different clothes and sit in different places!

The solution? "Hey... buddy.... how's it going?"

30 a week? That's a pretty small summer camp...
But yeah; with a new batch of kids every week, the easiest way is to come up with a bunch of generic names (Matt, John, Jake, Sam, ..., Sarah, Megan, Melissa, Amanda,...) and assign them based on hair style/color (e.g. short brown hair with a hat is always "Matt) (the thing that's least likely to change from day-to-day). Tell them they look more like a ____ when they give you their name, and precede to call them that for the rest of the week.

j07 wrote:I kind of have the opposite problem. I always remember peoples names. Always. If I meet someone one day and then not see them again for a few years I will still know their name. Then I'll see the person walking down the street and call their name and they will stare at me like I'm really creepy because they don't remember we have ever been introduced before. This happens far too often...

And this is a problem how? I'd be awesome to walk up to some guy or girl on the street and say "Hi, <name here>, how've you been?" and when they look at you funny, you can reply with any number of lines...
(e.g "Don't you remember hooking up at that party the other day?")

LegosDrgn wrote:
biomatter wrote:Did anyone else notice he spelled navigated wrong? Or is it just me?

Wow, I totally didn't notice until you pointed that out. *cookie*

Either did I. *box of cookies*

kitsy_katsy

Postby kitsy_katsy » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:46 pm UTC

I just wanted to let you guys know that this comic is EXTREMELY funny due to two things:
a) My name is Rachel
b) I got married last Saturday

Teshi

Postby Teshi » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:53 pm UTC

This comic is brilliant. The fact that it's a marriage is so perfect because the name didn't have to be put in seperately but is actually a traditional part of the wedding ceremony.

I was once in the city, and I heard my name. I turned around to see a girl looking at me. I looked at her trying to figure out who she was. I had no idea... and realising I had now been staring at her for 30 seconds I walked away quickly. I then realised about a month later who it was.

I was walking home with some friends and talking with them one night when someone passed (I never saw his face) and said 'hey'. Now it sounded not like a come-on type 'hey' but a 'hey I know you' type 'hey'. My friends said something like 'creep' and gave him a dirty look. Like I said, I never saw his face, being involved in conversation.

After thinking about this for about fifteen seconds, I wasn't convinced it was a creep, despite the fact he didn't say my name, and turned around to see if I knew him. By that time, he was gone.

I get home to find on my facebook wall a guy I hadn't seen in a long time, saying, "Hey, I saw you today and said hey, but I couldn't remember your name, and your friends were glaring at me so I left in a hurry."

Poor guy.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:59 pm UTC

Lester :P wrote:I agree with the critics of this comic though, I thought when Tesla Coil came out that Randall was back to his usual brilliance, but it's slowly slipping away.

You're right. The comic should just be the words "Science" "LISP" and "Fourier Transform" over and over in different combinations from now on.

:roll:
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

RobKohr

Postby RobKohr » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:35 pm UTC

kitsy_katsy wrote:I just wanted to let you guys know that this comic is EXTREMELY funny due to two things:
a) My name is Rachel
b) I got married last Saturday

And it was a great wedding. Renee, you looked beautiful, and I am so happy I married you.

Easton

Postby Easton » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:52 pm UTC

Belial wrote:You're right. The comic should just be the words "Science" "LISP" and "Fourier Transform" over and over in different combinations from now on.

Now you're catching on.

demeteloaf

Postby demeteloaf » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:56 pm UTC

I think the seinfeld episode where he ends up calling the girl "Mulva" is one of the best examples of this phenomenon.

Alomax

Postby Alomax » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:18 pm UTC

Apparently http://www.bluesnews.com found it funny as well.

Our campaign to conquer the interwebs continues!
bookishbunny wrote:You do not appreciate the powers of bleach until you have carried a dead conch from the Florida Keys to South Carolina in the middle of August.

http://www.omnicrola.com
http://www.ilanca.org

The_Toad

Postby The_Toad » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:50 pm UTC

I lost power at 4 saturday.... I missed feasting on asphalt and the chance at being on page one of the comments again

Melkarion

Postby Melkarion » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:03 pm UTC

Iwas the council prime minister for two years, and had had the same people serving with me all along. In planning our end of the year, pre-graduation festivities, I told people to put up their hands to volunteer for different commitees, and couldn't remember one of my female minister's names.

I then highligted the problem by stopping writing names on the board halfway through and passing around a sheet.

I had a similar problem as council president (without the gender specificity... I recalled about ten names of each gender). My solution? Steadfastly refuse to call *anyone* by name, save the other officers, simply indicating who had the floor by gesture, the title "Representative," and eye contact. Everyone noticed, but they all *also* knew I'd known some of these people for years, knew I knew their name... And whenever I had to call something up from the records, I'd pass it off to one of the other officers. Usually the VP or recording secretary, as it was technically their job to remember such things anyway. Good fun, actually.
"... for a man to understand what he himself says is one thing, and to understand himself in what is said is something else." -Soren K.

An ironic motto of sorts:
The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit. -W. Somerset Maugham.

Dr.Robert

Postby Dr.Robert » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:51 pm UTC

I once knew a girl but forgot her name. 6 months pass, and we become closer. I eventually heard someone call her summer, and I assumed that her name was such. This then happens:

ME: (Apprehensively) Hey... Summer.

Girl: ...What?

ME: That's your name, isn't it?

Girl: No, my names Julie.

ME: Wait, so your name's not Summer?

Girl: No...

ME: Seriously?

Girl: No. (Awkward chuckle)

ME: (Oh No. AWKWARD)

I still feel embarrassed about the whole thing today.

japanese_jew

Postby japanese_jew » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:24 pm UTC

Is this what you meant by ballroom? I was thinking about the, "What are you doing?" "Rotating counterclockwise, with each spin I rob the planet of angular momentum, lengthening the night, pushing back the dawn, giving me more time, here, with you." (I'm paraphrasing, of course, I couldn't have memorized it) comic because it seemed sort of living dancing.

Oddly enough, I've always associated the playpen balls one with math, because the first question we were given in Engineering 101 was to estimate the number of ping-pong balls that could fit in a given room.

Ghona

Postby Ghona » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:26 pm UTC

Belial wrote:
Lester :P wrote:I agree with the critics of this comic though, I thought when Tesla Coil came out that Randall was back to his usual brilliance, but it's slowly slipping away.

You're right. The comic should just be the words "Science" "LISP" and "Fourier Transform" over and over in different combinations from now on.

DONE!
If you're taking me too seriously, you probably are making a mistake.

jpardey

Postby jpardey » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:07 pm UTC

I didn't like this comic that much until I noticed the, dress tail... I guess, in the first panel.

Sorry if this post was stupid or obvious, but there is a kitten between me and my monitor, so I think I'm exempt.

Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:22 pm UTC

I didn't notice the dress tail at first either, but I immediately connected the two panels anyways, it just seemed obvious to me and I couldn't see any other possibilities. I didn't even know about the dress in the first panel until someone mentioned it in this thread and I went back and saw it.

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:34 pm UTC

Ghona wrote:
Belial wrote:

DONE!

You win half an internet. The good half, I think.

But he still doesn't do Fourier jokes with enough frequency. (the other half of said internet for whoever knows where I stole it)
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

shinybaby
In-Tents
Location: formerly Toronto, now London (Ontario)... anyone here??

Postby shinybaby » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:43 pm UTC

Anyway, back on topic... I tend not to take offence when people forget my name... but of course, the rest of the world doesn't give me the same courtesy.

i tend to not give them the opportunity to withhold the courtesy! :) i have a very unusual name and am constantly repeating myself, spelling it, and/or offering a simple alternative that i don't hate (some people are capable of truly brutalizing a name), so i don't feel all that guilty when i don't remember other people's names.

people often avoid using my name, so it doesn't seem weird when i don't use theirs, either. but usually i actually say "i'm sorry, i don't remember your name" because 9 times out of 10 the response is "oh good!! i don't remember yours, either!" :D

PS my name is Bronwyn... doesn't seem that bad written down, does it? yet it constantly befuddles people!
Gordon wrote:1) Meet Gordon
2) Deploy Gordon
3) ...
4) Profit!!!

drunkmunky

Postby drunkmunky » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:04 am UTC

Like most people this happens to me lots, especially when I go out drinking. The other one is when I wake up after a night of drinking and have numbers in my phone that I have no idea how they got there or who they are =\

Even worse is when you have a common name like me (sam) and you are walking down the street and someone calls out your name, I am never sure if they are talking to me or someone else. Quite possibly the most awkward thing ever...

Isaac Hill
Systems Analyst????

Postby Isaac Hill » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:48 am UTC

william wrote:But he still doesn't do Fourier jokes with enough frequency. (the other half of said internet for whoever knows where I stole it)

Irregular Web Comic

I think I first found out about that strip from the Wikipedia entry on Mythbusters, which mentioned it as an example of Mythbusters in pop culture.

Melkarion

Postby Melkarion » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:59 am UTC

But he still doesn't do Fourier jokes with enough frequency. (the other half of said internet for whoever knows where I stole it)

Not really interested in the *bad* half of an internet, but I have a thought.

If 90% of everything is crud, we'd think that the "good" half of an internet would be the half with the good 10%, generally speaking.

But 90% of that half has to be crud too, since it is of course a thing in and of itself. So there's like 5% (or, if we apply the same reasoning to the supposedly good 10%, we're even worse off... only 1% claimed as non-crud).

Ultimately, even if the crud/non-crud distinction is valid, as out intuition certainly leads us to believe, we're left with no way to appraise the crud level, let us call it the "cruditude," of a given medium. One possibility would of course be to relativize the definition of crud ("one man's crud is another man's non-crud") but I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that... it feels like we'd be losing sight of the apparant fact that some things are just cruddy.

So perhaps we can say, as a second approximation, "About 50% of everything is irredeemable crud, and most of the other half avoids being crud mainly by special interest, although a tiny but conceivably non-zero fraction of everything is definitely NOT crud."

This comic still amuses me, though.
"... for a man to understand what he himself says is one thing, and to understand himself in what is said is something else." -Soren K.

An ironic motto of sorts:

The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit. -W. Somerset Maugham.

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:11 am UTC

Melkarion wrote:

Not really interested in the *bad* half of an internet, but I have a thought.

If 90% of everything is crud, we'd think that the "good" half of an internet would be the half with the good 10%, generally speaking.

But 90% of that half has to be crud too, since it is of course a thing in and of itself. So there's like 5% (or, if we apply the same reasoning to the supposedly good 10%, we're even worse off... only 1% claimed as non-crud).

Ultimately, even if the crud/non-crud distinction is valid, as out intuition certainly leads us to believe, we're left with no way to appraise the crud level, let us call it the "cruditude," of a given medium. One possibility would of course be to relativize the definition of crud ("one man's crud is another man's non-crud") but I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that... it feels like we'd be losing sight of the apparant fact that some things are just cruddy.

So perhaps we can say, as a second approximation, "About 50% of everything is irredeemable crud, and most of the other half avoids being crud mainly by special interest, although a tiny but conceivably non-zero fraction of everything is definitely NOT crud."

This comic still amuses me, though.

This is why Sturgeon's Law isn't actually a hard and fast physical requirement. ;) But you win an internet for that.

Also, Isaac Hill wins the other half of the first internet I gave in that thread. It's also the good half, because of Applied Phlebotinum.
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

CleverConveyence

Postby CleverConveyence » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:28 am UTC

I can't even begin to state how much truth the alt text speaks. That has happened to me so much. @_@

curious and questioning

Postby curious and questioning » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:30 am UTC

I have done this. Multiple times. Keep talking without using their name, and pay attention in group situations. When I meet people, I routinely say to them, cheerfully, "Hi! I'm ___*, who are you?" (they say their name) "Ok. I'm probably going to forget that. Don't be surprised if I come up to you multiple times and say 'Hi! I'm ___...'" and we all laugh (how (and how awkwardly) they respond determines how much I want to know them; a response like "I do that all the time" means they're similar to me.)

I've gotten better at remembering, though. Not enough, though. Someone I kind of know, a lot of the time, I pass them in the hall, and they're like, "Hi, ____" and I just say "Hi!" and hopefully we're going in opposite directions.

*where ____ is my name. Which it isn't.
[insert quote here]

kcr

Postby kcr » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:45 am UTC

kwan3217 wrote:
I always just ask them how to spell their name.

"M-A-R-Y."

You know what really sucks, when someone forgets your name and guesses that it's Mary. Yeah, I wasn't quite sure how to react to that one.

Another time, I was talking to a guy I'd known for about six months, just chatting, and I knew that he didn't know my name. Out of pure bitchiness or just frustration (it was the end of a musical at school and I knew a lot of the people I'd been talking to over the course of the show didn't know my name and it annoyed me), I blatantly asked if he knew my name. He didn't and seemed to feel bad so then I immediately felt really guilty. Euhh. Awkward situation all around.

Usually I'll just ask someone else if I forget a name. Or if there's no one to ask I try to wing it. But I don't really mind if people ask me, "hey, sorry, what's your name again?" Can't blame them for forgetting, and it's nice that they're trying to find out.

dragoneye1589

Postby dragoneye1589 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:32 am UTC

TheKhakinator wrote:I was once in the city, and I heard my name. I turned around to see a girl looking at me. I looked at her trying to figure out who she was. I had no idea... and realising I had now been staring at her for 30 seconds I walked away quickly. I then realised about a month later who it was.

I've had this happen to me, I was walking around the town I live in where everybody knows everyone (mostly) and a person calls out my name so I look over and I can honestly say I don't think I had ever seen this person in my life, but they seemed to know me pretty well, and I still can't figure out who it was to this day. So I sheepishly say hey and then walked away quickly.

Recently I've done that to a couple of people though.

Lil'Bondy

Postby Lil'Bondy » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:28 am UTC

jpardey wrote:I didn't like this comic that much until I noticed the, dress tail... I guess, in the first panel.

Sorry if this post was stupid or obvious, but there is a kitten between me and my monitor, so I think I'm exempt.

Well, I guess I'm exempt too. although I liked the comic more when the kitten was in the way (not a bad comic, just kittens are interactive)
So I 'meow' a lot... Get used to it!

Lester :P

Postby Lester :P » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:44 am UTC

Belial wrote:

Thats not originality at all!!
`When I use a word it means just what I choose it to mean-Neither more nor less.'
`The question is whether you can make words mean so many different things.'
`The question is,'said he,`Which is to be master-That id all.'

Kendally

Postby Kendally » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:49 am UTC

Oh man, I just remembered, my aunt was at the store where I work and I couldnt even remember who she was exactly :S until she reminded me.

My sister married a guy who is one of eight children ;_; And I know his youngest sister is a hairdresser and I knew where her salon was, so I was going to call up and see if she could do a cheap deal for me on whatever I wanted done with my hair, and I realised with despair that I had forgotten her name and thus calling up and asking for "uhh what's-her-name Surname" probably wouldn't get me the family discount.

Xxpeyotedragon

Postby Xxpeyotedragon » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:48 pm UTC

I intentionally only learn the names of certain people, my friend got a new girlfriend I tried very hard not to remember her name, and it paid off as they broke up 3 weeks later and now I do not need to know.

At work is the worst, I work with 20-odd people and I am expected to know all there names whereas I know about 4 names with the degree which I can confidently call them it. Luckily there is a "Who's clocked in?" button on our register. We need help, I just click it and if I am able to discern 'okay, that one is me, that one is a guy, so she must be... "Bethanie?"'
Last edited by Xxpeyotedragon on Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:36 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:05 pm UTC

Another disapointment along with the previous two. If the only thing that it's got going for it is the alt. text, turn the alt. text into the comic.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

SteveMB

Postby SteveMB » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:35 pm UTC

Darcey wrote:I know a guy who enters people into his phone under amusing names, then consequently forget their real names and just refers to them as listed. Apparently one of them actually responds to "Hot Girl #3" now. I believe he has me under "Cutie from Party", of which I fully approve.

Well, that would avoid this bit of cell-phone awkwardness....

(Admittedly, having her see "Hot Girl #3" -- and presumably HG#1 and HG#2 as well -- in your name list may not be any improvement.)

lyworm

Postby lyworm » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:49 pm UTC

That always happened to me. I remember after half a year of being in a new school, I still couldn't remember the names of two girls that I hung out with rather a lot.
Meow.

Emmaskillz

Postby Emmaskillz » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:15 am UTC

I remember most people's names but there are a few that I can never manage to grasp and so I just say what I think it is but then I get all worried that I'm just making something up and yeah.

My mum is the worst at names. She'll just make somthing up that's similar to the actual name and then get confused as to which one it is and it confuses everyone until nobody is sure and she has to ask them.

UltramaticOrange

Postby UltramaticOrange » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:02 am UTC

So ... this is exactly one month away (or as close as xkcd can get) from my own wedding, and my fiancée's name is Rachel.

...Uhmnn...

...yea...

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”