0303: "Compiling"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Dark Shikari

0303: "Compiling"

Postby Dark Shikari » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:07 am UTC

Alt text: "'Are you stealing those LCDs?' 'Yeah, but I'm doing it while my code compiles.'"

Or I'm testing my video encoder, or I'm "stressing the CPU" with a nice game of Half Life 2... oh, excuses!

I've also, upon finding myself a user on a Linux system, recompiled all the basic utilities (even the compiler) from scratch, put it in my user directory, and aliased everything to use them instead. For no good reason at all, from what I can come up with. Except maybe to waste tons of CPU time. (But GCC is so much faster with -march=opteron!)

Who here has intentionally compiled their code without -j2/-j3/-j4 or such to make it take longer?
Last edited by Dark Shikari on Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:11 am UTC, edited 5 times in total.

oemta

Postby oemta » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:08 am UTC

you forgot the alt text.

AlphaPyro

Re: "Compiling" Discussion

Postby AlphaPyro » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:14 am UTC

With the code I'm currently working with, when I change one file, it takes about 30 seconds to compile and about 7 minutes to link. Painful.

Dark Shikari wrote:I've also, upon finding myself a user on a Linux system, recompiled all the basic utilities (even the compiler) from scratch, put it in my user directory, and aliased everything to use them instead. For no good reason at all, from what I can come up with. Except maybe to waste tons of CPU time. (But GCC is so much faster with -march=opteron!)

I highly recommend you read this paper: http://www.acm.org/classics/sep95/, it's an awesome paper.

BobCat

Postby BobCat » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:21 am UTC

Now, I'm linking. This may take a while.

Fuck it, I'm writing a makefile.

This will take a long time.

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:45 am UTC

*is not a programmer, so doesn't fully get it*.
I just need to try that game they're playing. It looks awesome.

OmenPigeon
Peddler of Gossamer Lies

Postby OmenPigeon » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:50 am UTC

AlphaPyro wrote:With the code I'm currently working with, when I change one file, it takes about 30 seconds to compile and about 7 minutes to link. Painful.

The code I'm currently working on takes about four hours to do a full build. That is, it takes four hours to do a full build once you've spent a week getting rid of all the bugs in the build process. It uses five makefiles, three or four shell scripts and a host of undocumented environment variables to get everything done.

Getting that thing to work taught me more than I ever wanted to know about makefiles. I guess learning is a good thing?
As long as I am alive and well I will continue to feel strongly about prose style, to love the surface of the earth, and to take pleasure in scraps of useless information.
~ George Orwell

Unforgiven

Postby Unforgiven » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:55 am UTC

AlphaPyro wrote:With the code I'm currently working with, when I change one file, it takes about 30 seconds to compile and about 7 minutes to link. Painful.

How the hell do you manage that. How can compiling a single file take that long? Maybe you need to refactor your project into more files.

And the time of full links should only rarely be an issue. When you're debugging, incremental links FTW!
"Now we're at the museum. Do you think they'll have DDR in there too?"
"It's Japan. Of course they will."

frezik

Postby frezik » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:57 am UTC

So very true.

I'm a Perl programmer, so I don't get to use this excuse very often. I did get to last weekend, when I wanted to run some benchmarks to compare Apache2 worker vs. prefork MPM on Linux. I already had Apache2 setup for prefork, so I ran those benchmarks. Then I had to recompile the system Perl (since using mod_perl with the worker MPM requires ithreads to be compiled into Perl), then recompile Apache2 to add the worker MPM, recompile mod_perl against the new Perl, tried to start the server, saw it failed, scratched my head for a while, found out that mod_perl was compiling against the libperl package on my Gentoo system rather than perl, recompiled the libperl package, recompiled mod_perl against that, and then ran the benchmarks.

Fortunately, I found my old X-Com CDs the day before, so at least I got to frag some aliens during this nightmare.

A.leon

Postby A.leon » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:58 am UTC

Rodan wrote:*is not a programmer, so doesn't fully get it*.

ditto
Aleon says:
do you know the muffin man?
Michael says:
Yeah,he lived down Mulberry lane until he was arrested for murdering people due to the deranged pressure put on him by his dog

Sartorius

Postby Sartorius » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:07 am UTC

A.leon wrote:

ditto

I just compare it to times in the lab when you have to wait for stuff to happen before you can record data.

That does look like a fun game they're playing.
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life." -Terry Pratchett

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:08 am UTC

"Why do you spend so much time on that forum?"
"Compiling!"

voodooKobra
You just....

Postby voodooKobra » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:14 am UTC

"Is that /b/? What the hell are you doing on 4chan during company time? Explain yourself!"
"Compiling."

EDIT: Also, I loved this comic because it combines my two greatest interests: Sword-fighting and programming.
Last edited by voodooKobra on Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:17 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
If you need to reach me, email kobrasrealm@gmail.com

in b4 spam

Kobra's Corner - My horribly-written opinions that aren't worth reading. Seriously; you're better off reading Nietzsche translated into myspace user lingo.

e946

Postby e946 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:16 am UTC

Basically, compiling is when the computer takes the code you've written and turns it into an EXE. Linking is kind of a part of compiling.

For small programs it's almost instant, but for big programs, it can take a long time.

So the idea is that these people are using the time it takes to compile as an excuse to do whatever they hell they're doing.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:25 am UTC

If you've ever edited video, replace "compiling" with "rendering".
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Karrion

Postby Karrion » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:33 am UTC

I spend a lot of time compiling.

Actually that's not true. I spend a few seconds compiling, immediately followed by several minutes waiting for the web application container to reload.

mikesty

Postby mikesty » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:35 am UTC

Reminds me of Idiocracy:

BAITIN'! Go away!
Have A Nice Day :)

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:40 am UTC

Consequently, a great way to get people to think you're doing a lot of work and/or know a lot of computers is to set up some sort of while loop to just constantly display a steady stream of text.

People take a quick look at my computer screen, see tons of streaming text, and think I'm extremely busy, neck deep in hacking code.

What they don't know is that I'm doodling comics/napping/reading a book on my computer formatted to look like documentation while the code just says "I'm a programmer!" with a couple variations in numbers and placement.

LassLisa

Postby LassLisa » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:47 am UTC

I have to try that game. Rolling chairs + swordfighting! What more could you want?

ChooChoo

Postby ChooChoo » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:07 am UTC

LassLisa wrote:I have to try that game. Rolling chairs + swordfighting! What more could you want?

Lasers?

The_Toad

Postby The_Toad » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:12 am UTC

im just testing this new hard drive on your server with this torrent... its cool

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:13 am UTC

Okita wrote:Consequently, a great way to get people to think you're doing a lot of work and/or know a lot of computers is to set up some sort of while loop to just constantly display a steady stream of text.
Excuse me.

I have a program to write.
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

Aglet

Postby Aglet » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:24 am UTC

wing wrote:
Okita wrote:Consequently, a great way to get people to think you're doing a lot of work and/or know a lot of computers is to set up some sort of while loop to just constantly display a steady stream of text.
Excuse me.

If all goes well, this will be the last program I ever have to write. But what language do I choose for such a momentous program?

Yeah, BASIC.

LordIllidan

Postby LordIllidan » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:43 am UTC

I have a slightly better excuse.

Since I'm still a minor and a complete n00b, I use an uberhaXxed version of RPG maker 2003. Now, either because of some insane translation error or the simple fact that it sounds cool, RPG maker doesn't call turning the code into an EXE "compiling."

It calls it "Melting"

Hence, sometimes you don't even need an excuse. You just leave that on the computer screen, and it speaks for itself.

"Hey! Can you get off for a sec? I need to use the compu-"
"Hold up, it'll finish melting in a few more minutes."

thedancecmmndr

Postby thedancecmmndr » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:05 am UTC

Lately, I've been doing most of my coding in BACARDI, but I've been having some trouble with the triple carboxylation step prior to program output. I've already tried using Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation to excise the lower mandible portion of the script, by I think I'm going to have to reflux under vacuum for awhile. Any thoughts?

frezik

Postby frezik » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:26 am UTC

thedancecmmndr wrote:Lately, I've been doing most of my coding in BACARDI, but I've been having some trouble with the triple carboxylation step prior to program output. I've already tried using Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation to excise the lower mandible portion of the script, by I think I'm going to have to reflux under vacuum for awhile. Any thoughts?

Did you produce this with a Markov Chain?

Lil'Bondy

Postby Lil'Bondy » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:26 am UTC

Unfortunately, whenever I REALLY need to use the net... my brother is compiling Gentoo misc. DAMN HIS LEGITIMATE EXCUSES

Ahh, Gentoo:Linux for human 1337-sauce (or so he says)
So I 'meow' a lot... Get used to it!

evilbeanfiend

Postby evilbeanfiend » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:45 am UTC

im writing this while my code compiles.

incidentally the #2 excuse should be "running unit tests!"
in ur beanz makin u eveel

po2141

Postby po2141 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:47 am UTC

frezik wrote:
thedancecmmndr wrote:Lately, I've been doing most of my coding in BACARDI, but I've been having some trouble with the triple carboxylation step prior to program output. I've already tried using Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation to excise the lower mandible portion of the script, by I think I'm going to have to reflux under vacuum for awhile. Any thoughts?

Did you produce this with a Markov Chain?

Aaaah, chemistry, natures code.

Soem people theorise that the entire universe might be a program running on an unimaginable computer, what if we arn't even that, what if we are just compiling?!

julesh

Postby julesh » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:52 am UTC

This is one of the things I miss, having switched to eclipse. My compiles used to take several minutes... now they're almost instantaneous. :(

Still, there is, as you say, unit testing to fall back upon.

E Grey

Postby E Grey » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:28 am UTC

po2141 wrote:Soem people theorise that the entire universe might be a program running on an unimaginable computer, what if we arn't even that, what if we are just compiling?!

Woah. Too deep! Not what I need to read, having just got up. >_<
That said, I wonder how much time the owner of said giant computer spends playing Solitaire?
"It is the fate of good people to bear the weight of the world on their shoulders, and of bad people to jump up and down on top."

UmbralRaptor

Postby UmbralRaptor » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:43 am UTC

wing wrote:
Excuse me.

Assuming you use Windows, make a batch file somewhere in your path. Include the line "dir c:\ /s" Repeat as desired. (You can also change the 'c' to other drive letters if you want it to show every file on your hard drive, currently mounted CDs&DVDs, floppies, USB drives, etc)

po2141 wrote:Some people theorise that the entire universe might be a program running on an unimaginable computer, what if we aren't even that, what if we are just compiling?!
It's remarkably buggy for something that's managing to compile.
Why do you assume that I exist?

kiwi_newt

Postby kiwi_newt » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:50 am UTC

I WANNA POSTER!!!
So I can hang it on my wall and have an excuse! hehehe

Val

Postby Val » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:15 am UTC

Lil'Bondy wrote:compiling Gentoo misc. DAMN HIS LEGITIMATE EXCUSES

As your computer is totally going to melt if you use teh intarwebz while emerging. :wink:

taiki

Postby taiki » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:23 am UTC

UmbralRaptor wrote:
wing wrote:
Excuse me.

Assuming you use Windows, make a batch file somewhere in your path. Include the line "dir c:\ /s" Repeat as desired. (You can also change the 'c' to other drive letters if you want it to show every file on your hard drive, currently mounted CDs&DVDs, floppies, USB drives, etc)

Recommend throwing in random "@echo "<foo> files copied."", or "Processing..." then going into a wait while the harddrive copies a large file then deletes the result so the HDD LED kicks on.

schrodingersduck

Postby schrodingersduck » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:40 am UTC

"I'll be able to help as soon as this query finishes."
"How long will that be?"
"3 or 4 hours. It's a big database."

shadebug

Postby shadebug » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:47 am UTC

for non programmers out there, just use gentoo. 1 old computer + compile open office from source = 3 days of ¨I would work but my computer's tied up compiling at the moment¨
Heaven is for the hedonist

Lil'Bondy

Postby Lil'Bondy » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:11 am UTC

Val wrote:
Lil'Bondy wrote:compiling Gentoo misc. DAMN HIS LEGITIMATE EXCUSES

As your computer is totally going to melt if you use teh intarwebz while emerging. :wink:

My computer has so many problems with itself, I wouldn't be surprised. But when he is emerging I actually can't do a damn thing on the net. Somehow he uses every last bit of available bandwidth, although he only has 512... so that shouldn't be hard.
So I 'meow' a lot... Get used to it!

pytechd

Postby pytechd » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:30 am UTC

Python doesn't compile (well, you can, and I do pre-compile to pyc files as part of deployment). My excuse is unit tests. Lots of unit tests. Database tests. UI tests (through Selenium). More unit tests.

A full set of tests takes about 3 hours, sometimes more.

faendryl

Postby faendryl » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:41 am UTC

"My sim is running."

Also, I have two sturdy foam swords in my office. Haven't tried the chair thing, yet.

hatguy

Postby hatguy » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:54 am UTC

faendryl wrote:"My sim is running."

Ah yes. Compiling and running a sim can free up an entire week for chair-swordfighting.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”