1160: "Drop Those Pounds"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

peewee_RotA

Re: 1160: "Drop Those Pounds"

Postby peewee_RotA » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:22 am UTC

davidhbrown wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:
eran_rathan wrote:... the imperial unit of volume.

... dagobels.

Very nice! :lol:

:D

I wanted to go with "dagobahls" but I'm pretty sure it would have been followed by obscene comments about Italians.
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/

zerker2000

Postby zerker2000 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:29 am UTC

eviloatmeal wrote:The first rule of trebuchet club is "never point a trebuchet at anything you are unwilling to destroy". It's also the hardest rule to follow, due to the range and low precision of the trebuchet.
———
*** FREE SHIPPING ENABLED ***
This amuses me.
GENERATION -705 - 991i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.
ImageDragon Thingie! Image

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:30 am UTC

ijuin wrote:How is trebuchet pronounced anyway? Is it tre-bu-SHAY or tre-bucket, or what?

-shay for me (treating it like a French word)

RAGBRAIvet

Postby RAGBRAIvet » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:43 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:
ijuin wrote:How is trebuchet pronounced anyway? Is it tre-bu-SHAY or tre-bucket, or what?

-shay for me (treating it like a French word)

According to Merriam-Webster.com, it's pronounced with a hard T (treh - byou - SHET); although since the word is of Anglo-French origin I don't think anybody's going to pin you to a wall if you spell/pronounce it in the French manner — trébuchet (treh - byou - SHAY).

mcdigman

Postby mcdigman » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:43 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:I spent some time wondering whether a 30lb stone would burn up in the atmosphere, but it doesn't seem to be a foregone conclusion according to this page.

I think it depends on how aerodynamic the object is and what it is made of. That wikipedia link about kinetic bombardment suggests that a tungsten crowbar should be able to make it through the atmosphere, but I doubt a 30 lb ice cube would make it.

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:53 pm UTC

RAGBRAIvet wrote:According to Merriam-Webster.com, it's pronounced with a hard T (treh - byou - SHET); although since the word is of Anglo-French origin I don't think anybody's going to pin you to a wall if you spell/pronounce it in the French manner — trébuchet (treh - byou - SHAY).

Imma let you finish, but James Cameron had the worst avatar of all time. Of all time!
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:28 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:Tomorrow's What If: What if you dropped a 30 pound stone out of geosynchrnous orbit onto an indestructable plaform on the counter-weight end of a trebuchet?
Hey, that was a remarkably accurate prediction. If you had only predicted a 30 pound steak instead...
http://what-if.xkcd.com/28/
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:41 pm UTC

mikrit wrote:
Whizbang wrote:Tomorrow's What If: What if you dropped a 30 pound stone out of geosynchrnous orbit onto an indestructable plaform on the counter-weight end of a trebuchet?
Hey, that was a remarkably accurate prediction. If you had only predicted a 30 pound steak instead...
http://what-if.xkcd.com/28/

He wanted to but he got nervous when he realized that...

8-)

The steaks were high.

YEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

jrogers

Postby jrogers » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:26 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
I heard "poundal" used for a pound force, too.

Since the pound is a unit of force, "poundal" would be entirely redundant.

JJH

Postby JJH » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:25 am UTC

RAGBRAIvet wrote:unless you're talking about maybe a working model suitable for destroying model railroads and built on a scale of around 1/48 or so.

Well, there's my project for next summer!
I only have a sketchy idea how a trebuchet works, but what better way to find out than make your own mini medieval weapon of mass destruction. :D

Ignitus

Postby Ignitus » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:31 am UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:
eran_rathan wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:
brenok wrote:I always though pound was a unit of mass. Is there a imperial unit for mass?

Stormtroopers3?

No, that's the imperial unit of volume.

I thought that was dagobels.

This is actually all faulty information taught by the poor understanding of our own ambiguous unit of measurements in the US. The SLUG is a unit of mass so is the pound(mass) as apposed to the pound(force) and the foot-pound-second.

Over the years we have adjusted the pound(mass) to equal one pound(force) which is why people get confused, not to mention just lack of knowledge of most gen ed majors. But the pound(mass) is defined in grams so unless the kg changes its def from planet to planet neither does the pound(mass), but they will exert different pound(forces) just like newtons.

Some things in Imperial do not make any sense, but to be honest I have issues with tons of metric units when I leave the lab.

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:44 am UTC

Ignitus wrote:...to be honest I have issues with tons of metric units when I leave the lab.

I imagine this story goes something like this...

My lab buddy set me up on a blind date with a girl that uses only metric. He gave me the directions and I was centimeter at the restaurant.

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:49 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:My lab buddy set me up on a blind date with a girl that uses only metric. He gave me the directions and I was centimeter at the restaurant.
I don't get it.

We guarantee that you lose 30 pounds permanently.
Just send us the fee of $48.06.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

brenok
Needs Directions

Postby brenok » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:52 pm UTC

Well, it's not so permanently if it depends on currency fluctuations.

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:55 pm UTC

Tre-boo-SHAY.

Blame the French.
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:58 pm UTC

JJH wrote:
RAGBRAIvet wrote:unless you're talking about maybe a working model suitable for destroying model railroads and built on a scale of around 1/48 or so.

I only have a sketchy idea how a trebuchet works, but what better way to find out than make your own mini medieval weapon of mass destruction. :D

why go mini?

"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:53 pm UTC

mikrit wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:My lab buddy set me up on a blind date with a girl that uses only metric. He gave me the directions and I was centimeter at the restaurant.
I don't get it.

He was cent ti met 'er at the restaurant. And when he got there he did met 'er, and was glad he was cent ti do so.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:17 pm UTC

Ah. Thanks, Forrest. (I tried to replace "centimeter" by inch, foot and yard, but I found no hidden meaning...)

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:12 pm UTC

eran_rathan wrote:

Tre-boo-SHAY.

Blame the French.

As an American of British descent, I claim the right to pronounce words as I see fit. (I'm looking at you, "gardy loo.") Anyway, I gladly welcome "tree-bucket" to my vocabulary, along with jah-LA-pee-no peppers and MINE-strone soup.

(I claim a bonus for the time I ordered ja-LA-pe-nos and goo-ah-CAM-ole for my fa-JAI-tas.)
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

Ashtar

Postby Ashtar » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:12 am UTC

mathmannix wrote:fa-JAI-tas

Unless you say FADJ-ih-TASS. Cue unnecessary comments about Adidas.

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:17 am UTC

mikrit wrote:Ah. Thanks, Forrest. (I tried to replace "centimeter" by inch, foot and yard, but I found no hidden meaning...)

Standard operating procedure.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:59 pm UTC

jrogers wrote:
orthogon wrote:
I heard "poundal" used for a pound force, too.

Since the pound is a unit of force, "poundal" would be entirely redundant.

Whoops, a poundal isn't a pound force. It's a derived unit equivalent to the lb.ft.s-2, in a coherent system where the pound is a unit of mass. A pound force is the weight of a pound mass at the earth's surface, which is g times larger (where g=32.17ft/s2). Hence 1 pound force = 32.17 poundals (or should that be 32 poundals 2.7 ounceals?).

The poundal the counterpart of a slug, which is used in a coherent system where a pound is a unit of force instead.

You can have a coherent system with the pound being a unit of force, or a coherent system where a pound is a unit of mass, or a non-coherent system with pounds used for both. I suppose in principle you could have a coherent system with both pound and pound-force, but then you would need a different unit of time or length (a footal or secondal?) to make one pound force equal one pound footal per square second. A footal would be about two poles or half a chain.

Ignitus wrote:Some things in Imperial do not make any sense, but to be honest I have issues with tons of metric units when I leave the lab.

"Tons of metric units" - did you do that on purpose?
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

JJH

Postby JJH » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:59 pm UTC

eran_rathan wrote:
JJH wrote:

why go mini?

I'm tempted... but I think I'll go for the small-scale experiment first. If by some miracle that proves to be a success I guess I'd actually have to start a trebuchet club and go full-scale. That would be cool.

arbivark

Postby arbivark » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:29 am UTC

for me this comic is funnier because i've seen randall play with trebuchets. well the other one might have been a ballista.

prosfilaes

Postby prosfilaes » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:31 am UTC

RAGBRAIvet wrote:According to Merriam-Webster.com, it's pronounced with a hard T (treh - byou - SHET); although since the word is of Anglo-French origin I don't think anybody's going to pin you to a wall if you spell/pronounce it in the French manner — trébuchet (treh - byou - SHAY).

If it's Anglo-French, then it was pronounced with a final T in the (Old) French it came from; pronouncing it like it's modern French is ahistorical.

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:15 am UTC

When Chris-in-the-morning hurled away Maggie O'Connell's piano in Nothern Exposure, was that a trebuchet or something else? A tractor was used, but maybe that was just to raise the counterweight?

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:04 pm UTC

prosfilaes wrote:

If it's Anglo-French, then it was pronounced with a final T in the (Old) French it came from; pronouncing it like it's modern French is ahistorical.

Ah, but then according to the OED there's a further twist: the word fell out of use altogether by the 16th Century and was re-absorbed later from modern French, so arguably the silent 't' is the way to go.

This reminds me of Juan, the Brazillian footballer, where you have four levels of sophistication:
1. No idea about foreign stuff. Just say it like it looks: "Joo-an"
2. No, I know this: it's pronounced "Hwan"
3. Actually, that's the Spanish pronunciation, but Brazillians speak Portuguese, so it should be "Zhoo-an"
4. Yes, but this particular individual happens to pronounce his own name "Hwan" - it's a Spanish name after all.

(I might have the details wrong but I don't want to google it in case it ruins my point. The Brazillians on the forum can correct me later.)
The problem is that if you go for (4) people might mistake you for a (2); likewise for (3) and (1).
In our case we have 1. Treboochet 2. Trebushay 3. Treboochet 4. Trebushay
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:25 pm UTC

Millumi wrote:Well, at least the flyer wasn't for the amputation club.

That's the club that costs an arm and a leg to join?

eran_rathan wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:
brenok wrote:I always though pound was a unit of mass. Is there a imperial unit for mass?

Stormtroopers3?

No, that's the imperial unit of volume.

Heck, in a galaxy in which someone can make "the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs," all bets on what a particular unit may signify are off.
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”