Everything is racism

For the serious discussion of weighty matters and worldly issues. No off-topic posts allowed.

Moderators: Azrael, Moderators General, Prelates

jewish_scientist

Re: Everything is racism

Postby jewish_scientist » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:22 pm UTC

Do you have a definition of race that is not rooted in biology or culture?
"You are not running off with Cow-Skull Man Dracula Skeletor!"
-Socrates

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:54 pm UTC

I think doogly is highlighting how no concept of race anybody ever actually uses actually corresponds to the real biological relatedness of peoples.

E.g. if you wanted "Native American" to make sense as one race, then for biological consistency you would have to say that there are multiple "Asian" races, multiple "European" races, and tons and tons of "African" races. If you wanted "Asian" to make sense as one race, then all "Native Americans" would also have to count as "Asians", and you'd still have multiple "European" races, and even more "African" races. If you wanted "European" to make sense as one race, then you'd have to lump in all of the "Asians" and "Native Americans" with them too -- all Eurasians and their descendants -- and you'd still have multiple "African" races. If you wanted "African" to make sense as one race, then we are all Africans. But nobody's conception of "race" actually corresponds to that.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

elasto

Postby elasto » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:42 pm UTC

People call it biological when really they mean genealogical - ie. who are your parents and who were their parents? It's a form of discrimination at least as old as the Bible and the Cagot or the Dalits in India show persists even into the modern era.

That's why you get things like the one-drop rule which make no sense as anything other than genealogical bigotry.

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:06 pm UTC

jewish_scientist wrote:Do you have a definition of race that is not rooted in biology or culture?

nope, if you want to root in 'biology or culture' then this is an expansion on the prior page and i am down to clown
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

dg61

Postby dg61 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:58 am UTC

I mean, "Race" is a meaningless concept biologically/scientifically, or at least not really reflective of anything beyond "what 18th century people looking to justify Atlantic slavery seized on and extended to other contexts". OF course it has a consistent and strong social reality.

Return to “Serious Business”