Google Vs. Evil

For the serious discussion of weighty matters and worldly issues. No off-topic posts allowed.

Moderators: Azrael, Moderators General, Prelates

Amicitia

Re: Google Vs. Evil

Postby Amicitia » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:56 am UTC

Axman wrote:Sure, if we want to simplify it to that extent. Supply and demand are separate with mutually beneficial crossover.

Are you going to believe that macroeconomics are [sic] responsible for Doctors Without Borders, the Catholic Church, and Chairman Mao simply because demand for them was high?

Not sure what you're trying to imply, but I'm pretty sure if there was no belief in Catholic ideals, the Catholic Church would be dissolved rather quickly.

Correct me if this interpretation of your statement is incorrect, but are you saying that once Google becomes an effective monopoly, they will not be running efficiently as they might be as a competitive company, which is bad for society?
"OMIT NEEDLESS WORDS"
William Strunk, Jr.

Axman

Postby Axman » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:36 am UTC

Amicitia wrote:Not sure what you're trying to imply,[1] but I'm pretty sure if there was no belief in Catholic ideals, the Catholic Church would be dissolved rather quickly.[2]

Correct me if this interpretation of your statement is incorrect, but are you saying that once Google becomes an effective monopoly, they will not be running efficiently as they might be as a competitive company, which is bad for society?[3]

[1] That textbook macroeconomics (plural is OK) are not capable of explaining things of such scale.

[2] Not likely, the Church is the largest private land owner in the world, a heavyweight of history, and has already survived the fall of the Roman Empire, the Dark Ages, the Renaissance, the Inquisition, the world going from flat to round to spinning in circles, and a whole mess of Crusades. Faith is not their only, not even primary pillar, and ideals have nothing to do with their persistence.

[3] They're not a monopoly. Not even Microsoft has a monopoly on software. I'm not even sure how they could have a monopoly, or over what (searching?). I'm saying they're rich, rich, rich. Moreso, they're cued to the rhythms of the Internet, and can listen to everything it says. This is power.

So what do you do once you have money and power? (Whatever he wants.) Who knows, but I doubt customers are a big part of their long-term plans, save as a footnote. Hey, more money isn't a bad thing.

Google doesn't need to become anything, they already are. At the very least, Google's name is up there with Rockefeller, Oppenheimer, Mellon, Warren, Carnegie, Gates...Bad for society? They're already rich and powerful, what are they going to do, go evil for a little while just to see what it's like?

Amicitia

Postby Amicitia » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:58 am UTC

Your assertion that economics cannot address the resolution is ridiculous and, as of yet, unsupported. Your argument that Google will engage in unprofitable activities is supported by trivialities, if even that. And even if, by some stretch of imagination, one admitted the possibility of such activities, what exactly would it mean for a company to "go evil"?
"OMIT NEEDLESS WORDS"

William Strunk, Jr.

biolution
Ken

Postby biolution » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:13 pm UTC

Amicitia wrote:Your assertion that economics cannot address the resolution is ridiculous and, as of yet, unsupported. Your argument that Google will engage in unprofitable activities is supported by trivialities, if even that. And even if, by some stretch of imagination, one admitted the possibility of such activities, what exactly would it mean for a company to "go evil"?

Ya, Axy needs to be a bit more forthcoming. We can't google search his mind yet.

Return to “Serious Business”