Antidepressants, Neuroleptics, and Amphetamines

For the serious discussion of weighty matters and worldly issues. No off-topic posts allowed.

Moderators: Azrael, Moderators General, Prelates

Namaps

Antidepressants, Neuroleptics, and Amphetamines

Postby Namaps » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:25 am UTC

What does everyone here think about the use of these drugs in psychiatry (amphetamines are used to treat ADD, and Neuroleptics are used to treat schizophrenia)?

Do the benefits outweigh the risks?

Do drug companies have too much influence?

Should problems like ADD and depression really be treated as physiological diseases instead of mental disorders?

The subject is on my mind because I was recently talking to a friend who got dyskinesia from taking SSRIs a couple years ago.
Marbles wrote:The bass trombone is way awesomer than the ordinary trombone.

Turiya wrote:Get out of my head, Randall (except in bed)--that's what SHE said!

tantalum

Re: Antidepressants, Neuroleptics, and Amphetamines

Postby tantalum » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:53 am UTC

I don't really think it's appropriate to ask a bunch of random forum-goers what they think about this. It's such a vague question, and all you're trying to do is form some sort of consensus, which won't really mean much anyway. I don't have any links, but maybe someone has a copy of a detailed study done on this? Without solid data, a debate like this doesn't go anywhere.

Simbera

Postby Simbera » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:37 am UTC

I don't think anyone should ever self-medicate with them (well, not to cure a disease, anyway) but if prescribed by a psychiatrist I doubt it would be too harmful. There are lots of drugs like LSD that have uses in psychotherapy and so on, but aren't used because of the taboo surrounding them.

I have no idea as to whether they actually work, but provided you're getting it from a psychiatrist and are appraised of the risks, I don't really see the issue. It's kinda their job to do the proper testing, not ours to make a judgment based mostly (I'm guessing) on their recreational use.

<^>
“From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity.” – Edvard Munch

Cycle

Postby Cycle » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:40 am UTC

I think in general these medications can be useful, but they can also be dangerous and addicting. They're over-prescribed in this country, and it's probably due to lazy doctors (it's easier to prescribe drugs than give therapy). They are useful and valuable, but I don't believe they're taken as seriously as they need to be.

Mister_Penguin

Postby Mister_Penguin » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:47 am UTC

I find they help me. (Admittedly one person is a shitty representative sample) I have anxiety induced Tourette's Syndrome. It's mainly little verbal tics like occasional nervous grunts or squeaks (Sadly[Happily? {I code in Scheme!}], I don't do the more interesting ones, like screaming "FUCK, SALT!" or "BOB SAGAT!") and medication helps the anxiety and squeaking.
"Only on XKCD do we try to figure out which tessellating shape for burgers results in the least waste-meat." -aleflamedyud

segmentation fault

Postby segmentation fault » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:34 pm UTC

i agree with them being over-prescribed. it seems anyone can walk into a psychiatrists office, say theyre depressed, and get drugs.
people are like LDL cholesterol for the internet

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:46 pm UTC

Living in England it took me AGES to be prescribed the drugs I'm on. I think, though, that's how it should be. I knew someone who faked a mental illness to get pills they wanted to top themselves.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

niolosoiale

Postby niolosoiale » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:13 pm UTC

As far as benefits compared to negative side-effects are concerned, I've yet to find a medication for bipolar disorder that yields more benefit for me than the negative side-effects as typically all of them involve weight gain, increased risk for diabetes, horrible (dare I say "dangerous") drowsiness, etc.

However, most mental disorders are the result of chemical imbalances so logically, the only way to counteract them is with chemical treatment. There are ways outside of prescription medications to accomplish this, but just because I'm not a big fan of medication doesn't mean these medications are unnecessary or inane.

I'll stick to working out 3-5 times a week, smoking green, and having an exceptional friend support structure.

tiny

Postby tiny » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:21 pm UTC

Simbera wrote:(...)There are lots of drugs like LSD that have uses in psychotherapy and so on, but aren't used because of the taboo surrounding them.
There isn't enough scientific evidence for the usability of LSD in psychotherapy. Grinspoon and Bakalar assessed the data base of studies concerning LSD/therapy in 1979 and came to the conclusion that further research would be worthwhile.

LSD wouldn't be prescribed like antidepressants and such, it would only be used in single, supervised sessions to provoke a so called 'mystical experience' in the patient. These experiences - naturally occuring or due to drug use - have shown beneficial short and long term effects in psychologically ill people as well as in healthy ones.

I have no idea as to whether they actually work, but provided you're getting it from a psychiatrist and are appraised of the risks, I don't really see the issue. It's kinda their job to do the proper testing, not ours to make a judgment based mostly (I'm guessing) on their recreational use. <^>
Most psychopharmaka work in some patients, but not a single one works for all.
I had to try four different types until we finally found the happy pill for me. Without these pills I would have killed myself roughly a year ago.

Cycle wrote:I think in general these medications can be useful, but they can also be dangerous and addicting. (...)
Some can cause physical dependency, but as far as I know most medications that have proven to have this effect are taken off the market or are restricted to use in emergencies only (i can only speak of Germany, though, I don't know how things are handeled in the US).
The psychological dependency of a depressed person is similar to the physical dependency of a diabetic.

My personal view is that antidepressants and the likes are to be used like any other medication that can cause side effects:
Only when indicated, carefully dosed and under regular supervision of a doctor.
Psychopharmaka can never replace psychotherapy, they can only add to it's effect.
"I write what I see, the endless procession to the guillotine." ~ de Sade

Mr. Samsa

Postby Mr. Samsa » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:18 am UTC

niolosoiale wrote:However, most mental disorders are the result of chemical imbalances so logically, the only way to counteract them is with chemical treatment. There are ways outside of prescription medications to accomplish this, but just because I'm not a big fan of medication doesn't mean these medications are unnecessary or inane.
- added emphasis.

That's highly debatable, although most mental disorders often have chemical imbalances associated with them, it doesn't imply that the chemical imbalance caused the mental disorder or even if it did, the chemical imbalance is most likely a result of something prior.

But yeah I agree with the second part and Tiny. Medication can be/ is useful but it's best in conjunction with therapy of some kind. Treating a symptom is great but if you don't find out what the problem is, you're stuck treating the symptom your whole life..

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:13 am UTC

Over prescribed does not equal never needed/useful. Conversely, useful does not equal needed.
Further more, I want more effects then 'Calms my ADD' or 'Lets me sleep better'. I want 'Reverse Colors' or 'Be able to do math quicker' or 'Reflex enhancer' or 'Phonetrait'.

Modafnil had very minimal effect on me, and that made me sad.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

tiny

Postby tiny » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:27 pm UTC

Mr. Samsa wrote:(...) although most mental disorders often have chemical imbalances associated with them, it doesn't imply that the chemical imbalance caused the mental disorder or even if it did, the chemical imbalance is most likely a result of something prior.
I'd phrase that even more carefully. Psychological illnesses can't be reduced to a question of cause and effect/brain and diagnosis.
Your genes, your phenotype in every given moment (including stuff like hormone levels), your environment, your personality - all these influence each other and inhibit or reinforce certain patterns of social behaviour, problem solving and self-management, resulting in a 'healthy' or 'pathological' life style.
Therapy as to assess and adress all these factors to be effective, although it differs from person to person where the focus should be.

Malice

Postby Malice » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:33 pm UTC

I've battled with depression off and on, mostly on, for the past few years. However, I'm reluctant to look to medication, mostly for theoretical reasons. I mean... If all my emotions are, are chemicals in my brain, is it really right to change them artificially? I might be able to force myself to be happy by taking pills, but is that really what I want? Is that kind of happiness just as good as the normal kind? They're virtually the same, scientifically speaking. I just don't know.

Mr. Samsa

Postby Mr. Samsa » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:44 pm UTC

Yeah that's true, I didn't mean to push for the whole 'brain + disease = mental disorder' thing, I was trying to suggest that other factors aside from chemical imbalances can have as much/more effect on a persons psychological wellbeing. I guess I was just trying to make the point that while medication can help alleviate some of the biological manifestations of a mental disorder, ultimately the best way to help them is to do what you said, assess their individual situation.

And to Malice, I agree that medication should not be used to replace our natural states. However, I think (in general) the use of medication should solely be as a way of helping people with their issues but only temporarily. For example, someone who is severely depressed may not have the energy or the willpower to seek out professional help, but with medication they may be able to see someone and actively work towards some way of coping with it. That's just my opinion though.

Edit: didn't make much sense originally. Makes a little sense now.
Edit 2: Typo. Sorry, it's late.

tiny

Postby tiny » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:18 pm UTC

Malice wrote:I've battled with depression off and on, mostly on, for the past few years. However, I'm reluctant to look to medication, mostly for theoretical reasons. I mean... If all my emotions are, are chemicals in my brain, is it really right to change them artificially? I might be able to force myself to be happy by taking pills, but is that really what I want? Is that kind of happiness just as good as the normal kind? They're virtually the same, scientifically speaking. I just don't know.
On Amitriptylin I once reached a point where for three days on end I was soooo happy. And it felt like shit. Artifical, wrong, disgusting. So I understand you concerns.
But: The meds I'm taking at the moment enable me to be motivated, active and productive, which makes me happy in a way that feels real and genuine. I think that's the way a good (for you) AD works. It gives your mood a better foundation, thus stabilizing it and lifting it up.
The question is still an issue, though... I'm on this med for roughly a year now, but I'm still reluctant to think about reducing my medication. Because although I've made peace with the fact that part of what I am now is a little pink pill, I don't want to know how big that part is at the moment.

What I'm trying to say: There are degrees of syntheticy (is this a real word?), and some of them feel natural.

Think about how the quality of your life could improve. Does this seem to be worth the trying around and the numerous side effects you'll have to go through until you've found the right medication for you?
I myself don't regret any of the pills I've taken, although I had some freaky and annoying side effects, and on my actual meds I sweat like hell and become twitchy when I'm stressed.

Simbera

Postby Simbera » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:14 pm UTC

I feel you missed my point; it wasn't that these drugs are perfect or whatever, it was more that one of the examples, amphetamines, has a very 'ooh danger' connotation to it because of its recreational use, and I thought this undermines its use in legitimate, doctor-controlled situations. And I know that LSD was supposed to be used during therapy sessions, that's why I said "for psychoanalysis" rather than "to treat psychiatric disorders" or whatever; I was just using it as an example of another drug that can be useful but is shunned because of non-prescription use.

I agree that there is a fair degree of laziness when it comes to prescribing pills, and that a lot of kids are given the {"can't concentrate? Must have ADD." *throws pills at*} treatment by doctors. But I agree with Izzawlgood; just because something is currently prescribed in an undesirable manner doesn't mean there's something inherently wrong with the drug. It just means the doctors should have a long hard look at themselves (or some governing body should look at them, anyway) rather than someone taking the drug off the shelves.

As to the actual side-effects, as was the original question, the drug companies should perform testing and find out what these are, so a patient can be accurately informed before taking them. Obviously there are going to be cases where a person has a different reaction than normal, but that's the case with every drug, not just brain ones - give my brother Penicillin and it will make him sicker rather than help his infection, but of course you don't question the use of it. As long as it's done in a trial-and-error fashion in close consultation with a doctor until the right result is reached, the risks are manageable.

<^>
“From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity.” – Edvard Munch

tiny

Postby tiny » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:08 pm UTC

Simbera wrote:I feel you missed my point; it wasn't that these drugs are perfect or whatever, it was more that one of the examples, amphetamines, has a very 'ooh danger' connotation to it because of its recreational use, and I thought this undermines its use in legitimate, doctor-controlled situations.
I don't think I got you wrong on this, since my views are very similar to yours in this respect.
EDIT: Read again. Missed your point. Disregard this ^ o.o
I still I share your opinion, though.

And I know that LSD was supposed to be used during therapy sessions, that's why I said "for psychoanalysis" rather than "to treat psychiatric disorders" or whatever; I was just using it as an example of another drug that can be useful but is shunned because of non-prescription use.
Ok, I missed that distinction. Sorry if my post pissed you off, it wasn't intended to do so. :)

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:19 pm UTC

It should also be pointed out that ADD is different from hyperactivity! ADD if anything is an abundance of attention, and indicative more of a failure on the educational system to recognize different students/learning types. (I'd say).
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:56 am UTC

For me, living in England, I'm having a really hard time actually getting HELP for ADHD. The doctors seem reluctant to put me on meds, but can't seem to suggest anything else that would help. I have a horrible time focusing on tasks that I need to do. Occasionally I get bursts of time where I can concentrate and work really well, but they are very rare, and generally occur at the last minute. I don't know if Amphetamines will help. I certainly want to try and see if they have a positive effect, but doctors over here tend to veer on the, "Wait and see." side of things. Grr.
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

errrr

Postby errrr » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:35 pm UTC

I for one think that the use of chemicals to reduce suffering and to increase empathy[1] is a good thing in principle (to what extent it works is a different question). Yes, some degree of suffering is normal, but IMO it is the right of the individual to combat this pharmacologically, whether he crosses the "mental illness starts here" line or not. This has been expounded at great length at Hedweb (take with a grain of salt. Some ideas are a bit far out, but I think he has a point.).

Make psychopharmacological education widely available and let the individual decide (possibly after getting something similar to a driver's license). I'm a bit bored of the "Evil Big Pharma" bashing. Nobody is forcing you to take their medications[2].

Regarding the "artificiality" objection... *shrug*, "artificial" feelings are just as real as everything else in my view, including the oh-so-profoundly-authentic neurochemistry dealt to you by random genetic mutations.

FWIW, this poster has depression and is on an SSRI antidepressant with unclear results. Negatively biased thinking and anxiety have improved, but motivation not really. I'm somewhat more at ease socially but this isn't of much use if you're still so lethargic as to spend all day on the interwebs.

[1] The empathy part may sound odd, but IME empathy correlates with feeling good yourself. The positive consequences on society of this are often overlooked in this discussion.
[2] (well, except with involuntary admission and more or less with children, but I think that's not the issue here).
Last edited by errrr on Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:36 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"The Internet being what it is, absolutely anything might show up in the collage including -- quite possibly -- pornography, or even nudity." (xscreensaver/webcollage docs)

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:36 pm UTC

I have been offered drugs on a number of occasions to treat my depression, and have turned it down. I suppose if it became extreme then I might consider it.
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

eternal luna

Postby eternal luna » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:47 am UTC

In my opinion, anti-depressants can be very important. A couple of years ago, when I was at my lowest, I kept trying to kill myself, I wouldn't go on the meds, and I just didn't want to keep going. After a few months of being forced to take them, I started to think maybe there is a point to living, maybe it's not all suffering. That led to me wanting to get better, and achieving it. I know I wouldn't have been able to do it without the medication, however much I refused it at the beginning.
Alexius:-Охуели? Нахуя дохуя хуйний нахуярили? Расхуяривай нахуй!
-Хули? Нихуя! Нехуй расхуяривать! Нахуячено нехуёво! Похуярили!
Gojoe: We are all inferior to you luna.

bumpgrrl

Postby bumpgrrl » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:14 pm UTC

I, too, am on antidepressants, and am having self-mind-discussions as to how necessary they are, how long to stay on them, what the benefits are, why I find myself wanting to go off them when clearly they are helping me considerably. I'm no longer afraid to go to work, I'm no longer crying myself to sleep a couple of nights a week, I no longer dive into a sobfest when I encounter major stressors and I am not afraid to be alone with my own thoughts. [Yes, I also have anxiety mixed with my depression. :) ]

But part of me just wants to be 'normal' again, without the drugs.

I've been seeing a counsellor on a fairly regular basis for the past 3 years, and feel guilty from time to time for not just 'getting better'.

But part of me doesn't want to risk plummeting back to the point where I broke down at Christmas a couple of years ago sobbing in front of my family that 'I'm sick, I'm sick, there's something wrong with me' and feeling as broken as I've ever felt. *shudders*

A friend of mine likened it to his myopia: there's nothing he can do to change that, it's just a part of him, and as a result he has to wear contacts. Perhaps the chemical basis/predisposition of depression in me is similar.

(ps - all hail the search function - I was over in the Confessional Thread and the topic had turned to a-deps and meds, and I thought rather than pour out there, that I could find a more suitable outlet. It worked.)
Belial wrote:Now there is only vengeance and death.

And cookies.

errrr

Postby errrr » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:37 pm UTC

But part of me just wants to be 'normal' again, without the drugs.

Again, in which sense of "normal" are you normal without the drugs? Why is this somehow more desirable? Your neurochemistry/hedonic base-point etc. were decided essentially by random chance1. If anything, having the neurochemistry of your conscious choice is more authentic (in my view).

On the other hand, maybe there are some concrete changes caused by the antidepressant and you dislike them (say for example, apathy. I have a feeling this one can be turned around to a positive detachment. Hopefully.). Fortunately, this is now a concrete "engineering" problem rather than a philosophical one.

[1]: Actually, also by evolution. But that's a blind and value-neutral process as far as I'm concerned - I don't see how it would give intrinsic value to your unaltered neurochemistry.
"The Internet being what it is, absolutely anything might show up in the collage including -- quite possibly -- pornography, or even nudity." (xscreensaver/webcollage docs)

kreebby

Postby kreebby » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:17 am UTC

Normal, to myself has only ever been the hackneyed belief: the majority. My late mother suffered from paranoia schizophrenia. The schizophrenia was actually caused by the medication prescribed to her for postpartum depression after I was born. Overdosing on anti-depressants is highly risky. It threw her chemical imbalance into a recalcitrant manner and hence schizophrenia developed. Her medication did not really work. Think of it as a depending variable on the person, as people change their diet, have children, grow older certain medications that had worked prior may no longer work. Or it fails to succeed at all in curing certain people.

Psychiatric medication is not a common cure for everybody.

bumpgrrl

Postby bumpgrrl » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:37 pm UTC

kreebby wrote:Psychiatric medication is not a common cure for everybody.

Oh, absolutely not. But to some it is definitely a very valuable tool.

errrr wrote:Again, in which sense of "normal" are you normal without the drugs? Why is this somehow more desirable? Your neurochemistry/hedonic base-point etc. were decided essentially by random chance1. If anything, having the neurochemistry of your conscious choice is more authentic (in my view).

[1]: Actually, also by evolution. But that's a blind and value-neutral process as far as I'm concerned - I don't see how it would give intrinsic value to your unaltered neurochemistry.

huh - that's an interesting way of thinking about things. I don't think I meant normal as in the majority (as I've never been one to identify with that lot of 'normal'), but more as in, I remember a time when I didn't get as sad and anxious as easily, when happiness came easier and the little things weren't so upsetting, and the major things weren't so devastating.

ps - I agree with your footnote! I'm going to remember that phrasing "a blind and value-neutral process". sweet.
Belial wrote:Now there is only vengeance and death.

And cookies.

PhantomReality

Postby PhantomReality » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:20 pm UTC

Amphetamines destroyed a good part of my childhood. I was medicated for ADD since I was six and I'm pretty fucked up now.
DROP ACID NOT BOMBS.

errrr

Postby errrr » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:29 pm UTC

bumpgrrl wrote:I don't think I meant normal as in the majority (as I've never been one to identify with that lot of 'normal'), but more as in, I remember a time when I didn't get as sad and anxious as easily, when happiness came easier and the little things weren't so upsetting, and the major things weren't so devastating.

Then I misunderstood you, sorry... Thought you meant that taking the meds is intrinsically bad.

bumpgrrl wrote:huh - that's an interesting way of thinking about things.

kreebby

Postby kreebby » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:12 am UTC

bumpgrrl wrote:
Oh, absolutely not. But to some it is definitely a very valuable tool.

No doubt about that. I am just insinuating that psychiatrists will give medication to anybody who tells them they are suicidal, and this is a bit out of hand. Honestly, when all one person needs may be a few months of therapy, they may instead get no therapy and a load of medication. Medication can seriously fuck with your brain and cause your body to become dysfunctional without it. It should be a last resort after most other therapy has been tried, not the first attempt at recovery. On the other hand, who are we to decide whether our chemicals are "wrong" or not. I know of someone who had been forced to start anti-depressants when her husband died. First off, she was mourning. Somehow that is a chemical imbalance? No. We are turning into mammals that cannot be in the real world without the help of medication. It is something to think about - who are scientists to decide how we should react to situations in the real world?

The Ethos

Postby The Ethos » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:51 am UTC

Look, seriously guys.

Without pulling an "I'm really in Medicine, and really getting a kick out of these replies."

The reason we use the drugs is plain and simple. THEY WORK. The reason we CAN throw SSRI's (and that's the antidepressants that everyone is on are mostly) at everyone is because they work for a lot of people, and they are very safe. *Especially compared to the Benzos, and TCAs of the 80s* (Yes, there are exceptions to every rule, and Big Pharma sucks, but I have patients that can get up and go to work, and NOT suffer because of organic, psychiatric, or other forms of brain/functional trouble. This is worth every penny.)

So please, if you don't want drugs, so be it. But don't hate on someone because they need more help than you. Mental disease/problems have such a bad reputation in America. Everyone is expected to pull themselves up by their bootstraps. It's getting to the point where MANIA, a SERIOUS MENTAL PROBLEM, is appreciated more than normal people because of the great capacity for work they are capable of. To quote a great man:

No one says: Damn it, Jim. Stop taking your insulin. You're addicted to that stuff.
Then why can you say: Damn it, Jim. Stop taking your Prozac. You're addicted to that stuff.

It's not like these drugs are available because they rolled off a street. Medicine, yes, art and science combined, but when you look at the studies: Psych Meds Work.

Know what else works? Electroconvulsive therapy. It looks terrible, and when I administer it, I can't help but feel they're suffering, even though the patient is under general anesthesia and can't feel the seizures. But when they wake up, and over the next few days assume a more stable baseline, and feel great, and are cheerful....I mean. IT WORKS. Scary stuff, that brain.

EVERY GENERATION SINCE 1880 has had increased rates of reported/diagnosed depression.

More acceptable? More diagnosed? More treatable? We're still looking for the answer.

To answer the OP's question: I believe that in a clinical setting, when combined with monitored therapy. Drugs of any sort can be as valuable as antibiotics in the treatment of mental illness. For every mother who gets perhaps a little too long an unmonitored prozac prescription, there is a person who is still with us, on the same drug. Major Depressive Disorders suck....and they happen to everyday people. Ritalin and other stimulants are a harder question. I think, just like I fight a lot of mothers who want me to write a script for god damn antibiotics for their kid's virus, there are mothers who don't want to watch their children. Don't ALWAYS blame the doctors. Yes, we have the power of the pad....but it's YOU who is watching the ads and coming to us and DEMANDING THIS DRUG DAMNIT. We don't often PUSH ritalin. It's dangerous.

Most dangerous drug on the market? Tylenol. More liver failure than ANY DRUG, even alcohol. Prove me wrong.
Thanks, and have a Scientastic day! - Dr. Venture

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:55 am UTC

The ethos, I love you and approve of everything you just said. Be my unholy man-bride.

...damnit, I said I was going to stop making posts like this.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

errrr

Postby errrr » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:19 pm UTC

The Ethos wrote:(…) very safe. *Especially compared to the Benzos (…)

Hmm, I might be wrong, but to my knowledge benzos are very safe physically. (unless you're counting strong physiological dependency as unsafeness here).

The Ethos

Postby The Ethos » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:39 pm UTC

Benzos are/can be safe, like any drug prescribed by a doctor. However:

They sedate you (driving is impared especially), slow your breathing, can be fatal if mixed with alcohol, have a tolerance effect that can become active if taken for 3 days straight, an strong physiological dependence within a week, withdrawal can cause seizures (as can an overdose), cause anterograde amnesia if dosed too high....

I guess my main unsafe is that if you eat a bottle of them, you WILL die. This is as opposed to SSRIs, and something we always think about in dosing anxiety/mania/depression/etc.

It's not unheard of for a patient (real case: Male, 25 y.o., 6'1" 220 lb) to take one 1 mg Ativan (lorazepam) before a flight, be still a little nervous, have two drinks to smooth it out, and end up blacked out for the next 6 hours because he's suddenly an amnesiac. He called his girlfriend, and she was convinced he'd been slipped something in his drink. (Roofies/Rope/Date Rape drugs are often Benzos)

Long story short: Safe...enough. But not that safe. (You can eat a whole bottle of Prozac and get away with just a terrible headache, or serotonin storm. But that's more likely if several drugs are mixed.)

/Interesting note: In the military's first-aid/emergency nerve gas kit, in addition to anti-nerve gas agents, they include Ativan (lorazepam), not because it's the BEST drug (it sucks), but it's the benzo least likely to kill a person if given by a soldier to stop a seizure (status epilepticus).
Thanks, and have a Scientastic day! - Dr. Venture

parthenos

Postby parthenos » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:55 pm UTC

this probably isn't really meaningful, but when i was little (5 or 6 to 8 i think) i took some adhd/add/i have no idea, i didn't care medicine and i WOULD NOT EAT. also, i had really really bad depression. so i don't know if that was just me or the medicine, but the not eating thing was why i stopped taking it. i also vaguely remember it being like after i stopped taking the medicine for a while it was even worse than before i took the medicine i think and then after a little bit it was normal again.
maybe if this signature is witty enough someone will finally love me.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:56 pm UTC

That sort of thing will happen sometimes. That's why you keep consulting with your doctor even after he's prescribed: so you can monitor side effects and decide whether or not to continue with that treatment.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

parthenos

Postby parthenos » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:02 pm UTC

yeah, my explanation was probably not that good. i don't really remember things that well. hate to say the same thing as everyone else, but i will never ever do any weird stuff to my brain (well, except caffeine) because generally doing stuff to your brain that it didn't evolve with, i think, does not work out too well. this is all inference, by the way, i don't know much about real psychology and i don't think i know anybody who does drugs. i just have experience with really, really weird brains (e.g. mine).

John E.

Effexor has been good for me

Postby John E. » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:06 pm UTC

A few years back, I took Serzone for depression, but the doseage had to be increased over time to the point where I felt jittery.

I went off meds entirely, but recetnly went on Effexor - this has worked well for me at a low dosage.

parthenos

Postby parthenos » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:37 pm UTC

oh my god. apparently the adhd medicine i took from when i was FIVE (i think) to when i was EIGHT was the amphetamine kind. god, those sickos. i hate them. they give drugs like that to little kids? monsters. i have just lost my faith in humanity, i think. and i took it? ack. and my doctor, my teacher, my parents let me. god i hate them. (not my parents, the doctor, and the teacher was a moron anyways). no wonder i was not happy though, put a little kid on amphetamines? they make me sick.

jabberwock33

Postby jabberwock33 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:20 pm UTC

In my opinion, meds, especially the mind-"fixing" ones, should only be taken in the more extreme cases. twerk your own brain.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:28 pm UTC

I just found out that some drugs are available in sprinkles form...

Sprinkles...

I was on welbutrin, zoloft, and adderol at different times. I didn't need them, but was depressed, anxious, and had ADD.

Oh well. I still wish modafnil really really worked.

Return to “Serious Business”