Dealing with crapp

For the serious discussion of weighty matters and worldly issues. No off-topic posts allowed.

Moderators: Azrael, Moderators General, Prelates

Irrational (?)

Dealing with crapp

Postby 3.14159265... » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:12 am UTC

K sometimes like right now I feel like this:

Holy crap look at the frickin world. Rich people are frickin killing people, worse they are restricting people. Imagine if you were a palestenian, Imagine if you were an iraqi, how about living in sudan now. Damn I am from Afghanistan and lived through the Taliban, so I know wut its like to live through crap.

Now what the hell can I, should I do to get this thing outa me, that tells me I do too little. I do nothing really, just be a vocal critic. Can I do anything? Imagine if you were taken to Guantomobe now, right now, and held there for 3 years and cudn't do shit. Imagine if you were in Iraq and the same shit happened to you, and not only that you got tortured too.

WTF can we and should we do?
http://www.georgegalloway.com This guy makes me feel like this every time.
"The best times in life are the ones when you can genuinely add a "Bwa" to your "ha""- Chris Hastings

VannA
White

Postby VannA » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:26 am UTC

Jealousy is a disease, love is a healthy condition. The immature mind often mistakes one for the other, or assumes that the greater the love, the greater the jealousy.

Irrational (?)

Postby 3.14159265... » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:40 am UTC

What does that really do. REALLY!? Did you know that in Canada 1 in 10 people works for a charity? THATS FRICKIN 10%. They do nothing. They want to do nothing. My worst idea is that we can do NOTHING!

I think we have for a few decades now entered Orwell's 1984, without the secrecy, but rather bias.
"The best times in life are the ones when you can genuinely add a "Bwa" to your "ha""- Chris Hastings

Aoeniac

Postby Aoeniac » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:25 am UTC

Stop thinking about it, you'll feel better instantly. Unless you have prodigal organizational skills or impressive resources, in which case get off your ass and do something important as a leader or you'll never feel good about yourself.
Class: 12th level Epiphenomenalist Alignment: Rational

Irrational (?)

Postby 3.14159265... » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:50 pm UTC

I am an awsome leader, just anti social :D
I also am a student now and have negative resources. :D

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:53 pm UTC

I am an awsome leader, just anti social

Then you're not an awesome leader. Social skills are the biggest part of leadership.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:30 pm UTC

You don't have to be rich, on a world or relative scale, to kill and restrict people.

Congo, Taliban, Rwanda, Sudan, etc.

There are enough people in the world that if they can do something, they will. To defend against this, one must build a defensive social infrastructure.

Sadly, the wish to be safe results in a large defensive social infrastructure, so much so that you can walk all over other people with less infrastructure. And, as noted, if you can, someone will do it.

As a single person, the best you can do is try to make it better, one chunk at a time. You are 1 in a billion -- your goal shouldn't be to make earth heaven, but rather to make earth better, and to pass on that ideal to others. Pass it on to your children, to your friends children, to your friends. Support and build social structures that work towards that end.

space_raptor

Postby space_raptor » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:30 pm UTC

Yakk wrote:You don't have to be rich, on a world or relative scale, to kill and restrict people.

Congo, Taliban, Rwanda, Sudan, etc.

There are enough people in the world that if they can do something, they will. To defend against this, one must build a defensive social infrastructure.

Sadly, the wish to be safe results in a large defensive social infrastructure, so much so that you can walk all over other people with less infrastructure. And, as noted, if you can, someone will do it.

As a single person, the best you can do is try to make it better, one chunk at a time. You are 1 in a billion -- your goal shouldn't be to make earth heaven, but rather to make earth better, and to pass on that ideal to others. Pass it on to your children, to your friends children, to your friends. Support and build social structures that work towards that end.

QFT.

Don't think of it like you're not helping the world enough. Think of it like you're helping a few people a lot. If enough individuals help just a few people out, those people will in turn help others. It's positive feedback.

I'd be careful paying too much attention to George Galloway though. Not to get political in a charity thread, but he's not exactly what I would call trustworthy.

In defense of rich people, Bill Gates is the biggest philanthropist the world has ever known. So not all rich people are bad.
The drinking will continue until morale improves.

Irrational (?)

Postby 3.14159265... » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:00 pm UTC

K my use of rich people, is a way of saying people that have power, people who other people run around and ask what evil they can do for them.

jesster wrote:Then you're not an awesome leader. Social skills are the biggest part of leadership.

No no, I am a great leader, I just don't like people personally. When I am given full authority it always turns out well, I just don't ever put in the time to actually work out good answers.

Also yah i know the whole one step at a time thing, but do u SEE the shit that is going on. Can you imagine how much better it would be if we cud just get rid of all the people who arn't logical.

Also I don't know about other places but the taliban were REALLY rich. They were supported financialy by Pakistan and the US from 1980- early 2001.

space_raptor

Postby space_raptor » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:38 pm UTC

3.14159265... wrote:No no, I am a great leader, I just don't like people personally. When I am given full authority it always turns out well, I just don't ever put in the time to actually work out good answers.

Also yah i know the whole one step at a time thing, but do u SEE the shit that is going on. Can you imagine how much better it would be if we cud just get rid of all the people who arn't logical.

Also I don't know about other places but the taliban were REALLY rich. They were supported financialy by Pakistan and the US from 1980- early 2001.

See, um, you can't just be given full authority. You have to earn it. Being a good leader means you have to be respected by the people you lead. Anything else is a dictatorship, ruled by fear. Which I guess works if you don't really like people. Good luck with that one.

The Taliban weren't evil because they are rich. They used evil to become rich. It's different. There's plenty of evil poor people too.

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:40 pm UTC

Opportunity.org wrote:Motivated by Jesus Christ’s call to serve the poor, Opportunity International is a Christian ecumenical organization serving women and men of all beliefs.

See ... this is where I end up in a moral dilemma, I do not want to support christinianty, I don't want to support alot of christian policy.
I want to help people, not tell them to abstain from sex and abortions...
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:44 pm UTC

There are non-religious charities y'know.

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:48 pm UTC

Jesster wrote:There are non-religious charities y'know.

Ofcourse, I am not sure which ones actually use effecient methods, giving out free food is only good in some cirkumstances and is ruining countries more than helping.
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

Irrational (?)

Postby 3.14159265... » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:13 pm UTC

K so let me give u the example of charities in afghanistan.

My dad for being proficient in english and having a poli sci degree got really good jobs in Red cross and UN while we lived in Afghanistan. They red cross and the UN brought shit loads of money to the country, by the time it got to my dad, who usually dealt with like buying the stuff and giving it to people, there had already been like 50 foreigners working for the charity thats like 50*$50000 a year. Now on average in my city, red cross spent about $50000/year buying merchandise. WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!!

Charities don't work, to support a charity is like giving beggars money, it just makes them wanna be beggers for longer. I am not saying people are poor, all my families in afghanistan are middle class workin people, they live ok lives even with the HUGEEEEE poverty. Thats not the point.
Here is the point though, Guantanmobe, I hate the guts of every fundementalist jew, muslim, christian any stupid religious person. They are still however people, wtf, this is an american prison. Better yet, they are sending people to other countries to be tortured!!!! WTFFFFFF! WITHOUT CHARGE!!!!!!!!!!!! wtf am i to do. Prob is I can't do shit.

space_raptor

Postby space_raptor » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:43 pm UTC

One charity I think is good is the Foster Parents Plan. They say that 84% of the money that is donated goes directly to helping people. They're pretty open about how their organization works. They're a Canadian charity.

They're not a religious organization, though I'm sure plenty of religious people work for them.

Personally, I don't understand why you would have a problem giving to a religious charity. If the money is for a good cause, who cares? You're not contributing to the church. There is a difference.

Here's another one I hear very good things about(non-religious):

http://www.kiva.org/

Irrational (?)

Postby 3.14159265... » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:54 pm UTC

I woudln't give to a religious charity, cuz thats like giving to a charity that gives hungry ppl noodles for the sake of FSM. unless of course you believe in the FSM...

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:01 pm UTC

The only thign I have against a Christian run organisation is that the money would go to promoting absitnence over prohpylactics, which I don't believe will help.

space_raptor

Postby space_raptor » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:06 pm UTC

Just because a charity is Christian doesn't mean they're spending money on anti birth control propaganda.

A Christian organization can still help deal with poverty and hunger. Seriously, this seems pretty biased to me. Would you not give to a charity run by black people because you don't like rap music?

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:09 pm UTC

No, but I'm more likely to give to a charity that I feel will do more good, and I feel that a charity aimed at promoting proper use of condoms alongside their aid packages will do more good with my money than one that doesn't.

Spike Milligan did some great charity work, but refused to help christian charities unless they would 'send a condom with every loaf of bread'.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:09 pm UTC

Yeah, at least find out *if* they're dispensing anti-birth-control propaganda.

If they are, screw them. That's actively making the world shittier.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Axolotl

Postby Axolotl » Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:31 am UTC

fjafjan wrote:

Opportunity.org wrote:Motivated by Jesus Christ’s call to serve the poor, Opportunity International is a Christian ecumenical organization serving women and men of all beliefs.

See ... this is where I end up in a moral dilemma, I do not want to support christinianty, I don't want to support alot of christian policy.
I want to help people, not tell them to abstain from sex and abortions...

I don't know anything about the organisation in question, but... give them a chance. It's possible that they are actually the *good* kind of christians. You know, that rare breed that actually go around making a positive difference instead of sitting back persecuting minorities while using their beliefs to justify their own personal advacement at the expense of the poor and vulnerable.

As an agnostic, raised in a relaxed and liberal christian family, I never used to understand the overwhelming hatred felt my many (especially in the US) towards christianity. As I've become more exposed to American culture and politics, I realise that this is an understandable reaction to the scores of horrible people using a warped brand of christanity to justify their own selfish, bigoted beliefs and practices, and preaching a ridiculous, simplistic notion of god and spirituality. I urge everyone, don't let these people cause you to close your eyes to all spiritual thought and exploration, and try to remember that there are some very good christians out there doing good works, many of whom will actually be happy to receive your support and co-operation regardless of your religious beliefs or lack thereof, where a common goal to better human society exists.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:45 am UTC

I sort of liked the salvation army.

Then I found out they where doing indoctrination tests (as in, testing and asking people their religious beliefs) on their NY state workers who where administering a government-funded program.

That shit ain't cool.

Axolotl

Postby Axolotl » Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:47 am UTC

The whole structure of the Salvation Army has always struck me as a little odd.

Peshmerga
Mad Hatter

Postby Peshmerga » Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:58 am UTC

They don't even have tanks.

Wtf kind of army is that.
i hurd u liek mudkips???

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:26 am UTC

Axolotl wrote:The whole structure of the Salvation Army has always struck me as a little odd.

One of my brother's roommates delivers food for the Salvation Army. He has access to a beat-up white Salvation Army van. One day they thought it would be funny to drive past a frat party, grab a drunk frat boy that had strayed from the pack, throw him in the back of the van, and drive him around Champaign for a while. So they did. The end.

In conclusion, I am all in favor of the Salvation Army because of that!
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

Fluff
See You Next Tuesday

Postby Fluff » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:38 am UTC

3.14159265... wrote:
jesster wrote:Then you're not an awesome leader. Social skills are the biggest part of leadership.

No no, I am a great leader, I just don't like people personally. When I am given full authority it always turns out well, I just don't ever put in the time to actually work out good answers.

I think you've just proven Jesster's point.

Return to “Serious Business”