The least racist country?

For the serious discussion of weighty matters and worldly issues. No off-topic posts allowed.

Moderators: Azrael, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Lucrece
Posts: 3558
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:01 am UTC

Re: The least racist country?

Postby Lucrece » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:06 am UTC

WICKED wrote:sweden is not so racist from what ive read about them. finland is probably another one who is good. one way to gauge the racism of a country is to see how they do in terms of other human rights such as womens rights, gay rights, how much they help the homeless or disabled. as you can see, america really doesnt do anything for these groups, so you can see why they would be one of the more racist countries. most european countries are less racist than usa. in europe, people know that racism is wrong (even if they are racists), whereas in usa, they see it as freedom of speech.



And lack of exposure. With the exception of metropolitan areas like NY, a huge portion of the U.S. is made up of insular communities. Even the poorest of Europeans are used to traveling across countries and visiting due to the evil socialist systems that allow them actual vacations and sane working hours.

Most European countries are also very small as well, so it's easy to cross borders, whereas the U.S. is huge and doesn't really border with many culturally dissimilar nations (and dirty South Americans are to be avoided at all costs, except for the dirty South American and Central American's beaches).
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

Philwelch
Posts: 2904
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:33 am UTC
Location: RIGHT BEHIND YOU

Re: The least racist country?

Postby Philwelch » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:35 am UTC

WICKED wrote:sweden is not so racist from what ive read about them. finland is probably another one who is good.


It's easy for racism to disappear when a country is over 95% the same race.

WICKED wrote:one way to gauge the racism of a country is to see how they do in terms of other human rights such as womens rights, gay rights, how much they help the homeless or disabled.


How does that even possibly follow? Communist states tend to do very well in terms of social welfare, but many of them (i.e. the Soviet Union) were rife with anti-Semitism.

WICKED wrote:as you can see, america really doesnt do anything for these groups, so you can see why they would be one of the more racist countries. most european countries are less racist than usa. in europe, people know that racism is wrong (even if they are racists), whereas in usa, they see it as freedom of speech.


Oh, you're just leading into another anti-American tirade. One with absolutely no grounding in reality.

The US doesn't have government-based social welfare because we're largely an anti-government lot. We started the damn country to get out of paying taxes, and since then we've been slow to adopt the cradle-to-grave welfare systems popular in Europe. And yet, judging by the direct evidence, we're probably much less racist than many welfare states, including those in Europe. We're certainly more sensitive towards, and conscious of, racial issues than Europeans because of our long history in struggling with the issue.

Freedom of speech is another issue entirely. European countries tend to ban racist expression for the following reasons:

1. European countries have always had an authoritarian bent.
2. European countries were extremely cautious after WWII to prevent Nazis (in particular) from showing up again.

Something can be wrong while still being a legitimate exercise of one's legal and constitutional rights--a concept that's usually lost on authoritarian-minded Europeans.

Censorship is an ineffective and unjust response to racism. It's ineffective because you can't change people's opinions by prohibiting them from being expressed, and it's unjust because it involves using force on someone just for expressing a belief.

Also, censorship can so easily be misused that it's better for a society to disallow censorship entirely rather than try to discriminate between good and bad applications of it. For instance, while you *could* outlaw expressions of racism, celebrity gossip, false rumors, and half-baked myths about the contraceptive properties of lemon juice, the benefits of doing so are outweighed by the risks of the government outlawing people from campaigning for an opposition political candidate or using censorship to cover up its own mistakes.

Just because American law falls on the "less censorship" end of the scale doesn't mean American culture is any more supportive of racism, no more than it suggests Americans are more supportive of socialism, anarchism, or the cryptic spiritual expressions printed on the labels of Dr. Bronner's soap.

Lucrece wrote:Even the poorest of Europeans are used to traveling across countries and visiting due to the evil socialist systems that allow them actual vacations and sane working hours.


If you compare apples to apples, I'm sure the number of French people who've visited England and Germany is similar to the number of Arizonans who have visited Texas and Mexico. Or the number of Washingtonians who have visited Canada and California.
Fascism: If you're not with us you're against us.
Leftism: If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem.

Perfection is an unattainable goal.

User avatar
Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.
Posts: 7588
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:43 pm UTC
Location: Nederland

Re: The least racist country?

Postby Zamfir » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:25 am UTC

Philwelch wrote:Freedom of speech is another issue entirely. European countries tend to ban racist expression for the following reasons:

1. European countries have always had an authoritarian bent.
2. European countries were extremely cautious after WWII to prevent Nazis (in particular) from showing up again.

Something can be wrong while still being a legitimate exercise of one's legal and constitutional rights--a concept that's usually lost on authoritarian-minded Europeans.


Philwelch, in this case i think you are bit too dismissive. You appear to assume that the American way here is the obvious right one, and that other approaches must be due to some overlooking of a basic concept. Let's be honest, there is no reason to assume that the legal experts who wrote European laws had somehow missed the concept that one can be wrong while still within their rights, or that this concept isn't taken into account in political discussions on the subject.

Also, you seem to assume much stronger censoring laws then there really are in any European country, let alone all over Europe. Simple racism in the sense of saying bad things about people of other races won't, as far as I can tell, get you convicted in most countries. The difference is in a subtle category known as hate speech, which requires that your speech is explicitly meant to incite discrimination or otherwise break the law. In general, this requires a serious call for violence against a population group before you can get convicted. If I am right, the difference here with the US is that to be convicted in the US for hate speech, there has to be a real immediate threat of violence, but in that case you can get convicted too even if you are not the one who actually plans to commit the violence.

User avatar
Lucrece
Posts: 3558
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:01 am UTC

Re: The least racist country?

Postby Lucrece » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:02 am UTC

Philwelch wrote:
Lucrece wrote:Even the poorest of Europeans are used to traveling across countries and visiting due to the evil socialist systems that allow them actual vacations and sane working hours.


If you compare apples to apples, I'm sure the number of French people who've visited England and Germany is similar to the number of Arizonans who have visited Texas and Mexico. Or the number of Washingtonians who have visited Canada and California.



Are the cultural/ethnic differences comparable? How different is Arizona from Texas compared to France from England and Germany?

Let's not forget language barriers, one of the main sources of xenophobia and racism.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

C.B
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:22 am UTC
Location: China

Re: The least racist country?

Postby C.B » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:29 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote: Simple racism in the sense of saying bad things about people of other races won't, as far as I can tell, get you convicted in most countries. The difference is in a subtle category known as hate speech, which requires that your speech is explicitly meant to incite discrimination or otherwise break the law. In general, this requires a serious call for violence against a population group before you can get convicted. If I am right, the difference here with the US is that to be convicted in the US for hate speech, there has to be a real immediate threat of violence, but in that case you can get convicted too even if you are not the one who actually plans to commit the violence.


I think Germany holds the one exception to this: it's still illegal to do the "Heil Hitler" salute.

Philwelch wrote:
WICKED wrote:one way to gauge the racism of a country is to see how they do in terms of other human rights such as womens rights, gay rights, how much they help the homeless or disabled.


How does that even possibly follow? Communist states tend to do very well in terms of social welfare, but many of them (i.e. the Soviet Union) were rife with anti-Semitism.


I think the gay rights point is the salient one, rather than jumping on the welfare one. Racism and homophobia tend to go hand in hand, so examining a country by its legal stance on gay marriage/adoption might be a good indicator of national attitudes.

That said, racism and homophobia are not correlated everywhere - I pointed out Singapore earlier as a very not-racist country, but it's still illegal to be gay in public there. (They might have loosened up a little since I went, but probably not much.)

Philwelch
Posts: 2904
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:33 am UTC
Location: RIGHT BEHIND YOU

Re: The least racist country?

Postby Philwelch » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:24 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:Also, you seem to assume much stronger censoring laws then there really are in any European country, let alone all over Europe. Simple racism in the sense of saying bad things about people of other races won't, as far as I can tell, get you convicted in most countries. The difference is in a subtle category known as hate speech, which requires that your speech is explicitly meant to incite discrimination or otherwise break the law. In general, this requires a serious call for violence against a population group before you can get convicted. If I am right, the difference here with the US is that to be convicted in the US for hate speech, there has to be a real immediate threat of violence, but in that case you can get convicted too even if you are not the one who actually plans to commit the violence.


"Hate speech" isn't generally a meaningful legal term in the US. I consider that a good thing. What is illegal is creating a clear and present danger. i.e. by inciting a crowd or somesuch to rioting and violence.

In America you can publish a book denouncing the Jews and calling for their forcible expulsion from the country. In Germany publishing such a book would be illegal.

And I'm not the one who brought up the racism vs. free speech angle, either.

Lucrece wrote:
Lucrece wrote:Even the poorest of Europeans are used to traveling across countries and visiting due to the evil socialist systems that allow them actual vacations and sane working hours.


Philwelch wrote:If you compare apples to apples, I'm sure the number of French people who've visited England and Germany is similar to the number of Arizonans who have visited Texas and Mexico. Or the number of Washingtonians who have visited Canada and California.


Are the cultural/ethnic differences comparable? How different is Arizona from Texas compared to France from England and Germany?

Let's not forget language barriers, one of the main sources of xenophobia and racism.


I'm just saying, you don't have to have a 30-hour workweek, 6 week vacations, and 12 weeks of strikes during the year to be able to travel to neighboring states and countries. (I am being facetious about the strikes.) And considering that England, France, and Germany are all first-world modern countries while Mexico is a third world country, I think Americans get the credit for stepping the farthest outside their zone of comfort.

C.B wrote:I think the gay rights point is the salient one, rather than jumping on the welfare one. Racism and homophobia tend to go hand in hand, so examining a country by its legal stance on gay marriage/adoption might be a good indicator of national attitudes.

That said, racism and homophobia are not correlated everywhere - I pointed out Singapore earlier as a very not-racist country, but it's still illegal to be gay in public there. (They might have loosened up a little since I went, but probably not much.)


I think all of these arguments were brought up to quickly paper over a bad excuse to rail against America, which is pretty ironic considering that hating on one particular country or another is also pretty highly correlated with racism.
Fascism: If you're not with us you're against us.
Leftism: If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem.

Perfection is an unattainable goal.

User avatar
Oculus Vespertilionis
Posts: 434
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:42 pm UTC

Re: The least racist country?

Postby Oculus Vespertilionis » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:50 pm UTC

European countries have hate speech laws. American states have pornography laws. Thus, I'm not sure it's proper to say that either has a more general commitment against censorship in the other. The "special case" is just a different one.
Speaking of which, what does the wide existence of very racist entertainment (of which a bunch exists in the US) say about racism in a country?
You do what you can to make relationships and to respect yourself and others. Everything else is bookkeeping.

Philwelch
Posts: 2904
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:33 am UTC
Location: RIGHT BEHIND YOU

Re: The least racist country?

Postby Philwelch » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:43 am UTC

Oculus Vespertilionis wrote:European countries have hate speech laws. American states have pornography laws. Thus, I'm not sure it's proper to say that either has a more general commitment against censorship in the other. The "special case" is just a different one.


Pornography is still legal in the US, even though access is restricted. In fact, I think the United States is the world's largest producer of pornography.

Also, pornography is not a political statement. Praising the Nazis is. So it is true to say that the US has a stronger commitment to political free speech in particular, which I personally consider more valuable than being able to see tits on demand.

Oculus Vespertilionis wrote:Speaking of which, what does the wide existence of very racist entertainment (of which a bunch exists in the US) say about racism in a country?


You're going to have to be more specific for your claims to have any meaning.
Fascism: If you're not with us you're against us.
Leftism: If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem.

Perfection is an unattainable goal.

User avatar
Lucrece
Posts: 3558
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:01 am UTC

Re: The least racist country?

Postby Lucrece » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:05 am UTC

Philwelch wrote:
I'm just saying, you don't have to have a 30-hour workweek, 6 week vacations, and 12 weeks of strikes during the year to be able to travel to neighboring states and countries. (I am being facetious about the strikes.) And considering that England, France, and Germany are all first-world modern countries while Mexico is a third world country, I think Americans get the credit for stepping the farthest outside their zone of comfort.



Fair enough. But isn't that the problem? That Americans are so sheltered from situations different from their country? Is this cultural bubble doing any good?

I'm not saying they should venture out in exchange programs with drug cartels, but many Americans could use a broadening of cultural perspective.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

Philwelch
Posts: 2904
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:33 am UTC
Location: RIGHT BEHIND YOU

Re: The least racist country?

Postby Philwelch » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:19 am UTC

The more and more the EU member states come to resemble each other, the more and more you can make the same criticism about Europeans.
Fascism: If you're not with us you're against us.
Leftism: If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem.

Perfection is an unattainable goal.

User avatar
Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.
Posts: 7588
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:43 pm UTC
Location: Nederland

Re: The least racist country?

Postby Zamfir » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:41 am UTC

Philwelch wrote:6 week vacations


You say this as if it's a bad thing. The absurd pride Americans take in their short vacations has always completely baffled me.

cathrl
Posts: 427
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:58 am UTC

Re: The least racist country?

Postby cathrl » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:58 pm UTC

C.B wrote:
TAIWO wrote:uk is one of the more racist countries if you are muslim/asian. there is alot of anti muslim propaganda floating around britain. even their prince refers to them as ragheads and pakis.



"their prince" - Prince Philip. He's a daft old bat and well known to be totally cuckoo. He is definitely racist and has dropped some absolutely shockers in his time (search Wikipedia for Prince Philip quotes) but he is in no way representative of the country today.



No, that one was Prince Harry. He was making a video of the people he worked with (he's a soldier) and one of the labels he used for one of his fellow soldiers was "raghead". It was along the same lines as Scottish soldiers being called Jock and Irish soldiers being called Paddy. Was it racist? Technically, yes. It was a stupid thing for him to say and an even stupider thing to put on film. But it's hardly evidence of the COUNTRY being racist - he was jumped on from all sides when it was broadcast.

C.B
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:22 am UTC
Location: China

Re: The least racist country?

Postby C.B » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:38 pm UTC

cathrl wrote:
C.B wrote:
TAIWO wrote:uk is one of the more racist countries if you are muslim/asian. there is alot of anti muslim propaganda floating around britain. even their prince refers to them as ragheads and pakis.



"their prince" - Prince Philip. He's a daft old bat and well known to be totally cuckoo. He is definitely racist and has dropped some absolutely shockers in his time (search Wikipedia for Prince Philip quotes) but he is in no way representative of the country today.



No, that one was Prince Harry. He was making a video of the people he worked with (he's a soldier) and one of the labels he used for one of his fellow soldiers was "raghead". It was along the same lines as Scottish soldiers being called Jock and Irish soldiers being called Paddy. Was it racist? Technically, yes. It was a stupid thing for him to say and an even stupider thing to put on film. But it's hardly evidence of the COUNTRY being racist - he was jumped on from all sides when it was broadcast.


Oh, quite right. He said something like "my Paki friend," didn't he? Not the sharpest tool in the box...

Philwelch wrote:
C.B wrote:I think the gay rights point is the salient one, rather than jumping on the welfare one. Racism and homophobia tend to go hand in hand, so examining a country by its legal stance on gay marriage/adoption might be a good indicator of national attitudes.

That said, racism and homophobia are not correlated everywhere - I pointed out Singapore earlier as a very not-racist country, but it's still illegal to be gay in public there. (They might have loosened up a little since I went, but probably not much.)


I think all of these arguments were brought up to quickly paper over a bad excuse to rail against America, which is pretty ironic considering that hating on one particular country or another is also pretty highly correlated with racism.


That hating would only be the individual's opinion; we're slandering entire countries here, not individuals. What is the status of gay marriage/adoption in the States? Illegal across the board? Discrimination against one minority indicates a closed-minded attitude that typically accompanies racism.

Philwelch
Posts: 2904
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:33 am UTC
Location: RIGHT BEHIND YOU

Re: The least racist country?

Postby Philwelch » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:18 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:
Philwelch wrote:6 week vacations


You say this as if it's a bad thing. The absurd pride Americans take in their short vacations has always completely baffled me.


You win the "Taking Phil Welch Out Of Context" award. I'm saying you don't need six week vacations to travel the same distance Europeans do. French people go on vacation in Italy? Big deal--that's like Colorado and Texas to us. Or Texas and Mexico.

C.B wrote:
Philwelch wrote:I think all of these arguments were brought up to quickly paper over a bad excuse to rail against America, which is pretty ironic considering that hating on one particular country or another is also pretty highly correlated with racism.


That hating would only be the individual's opinion; we're slandering entire countries here, not individuals.


What's racism? Slandering entire races, not individuals.

C.B wrote:What is the status of gay marriage/adoption in the States? Illegal across the board?


No, varies by state.

C.B wrote:Discrimination against one minority indicates a closed-minded attitude that typically accompanies racism.


You know, there's also a high correlation between poverty and racism, and the US has a higher per-capita GDP than most European countries. I guess that makes Europe more racist.

Or, you know, we could drop these side issues and just look at the direct evidence here.
Fascism: If you're not with us you're against us.
Leftism: If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem.

Perfection is an unattainable goal.

henryx
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:37 pm UTC

Re: The least racist country?

Postby henryx » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:43 pm UTC

Lemminkainen wrote:The United States-- name any other non-African country where somebody of African descent has been elected president. Hell, name any other large or significant country with a head of state who's a member of a racial minority.


You do realize that the vast majority of countries out there don't have as many citizens of african descent, don't you? In my own country (Argentina) we have an extremely diverse population, with the vast majority of the population being of mixed ascent, but we have less than 1% of people of sub-saharan african origin (can't we just say Black?). I have Jewish friends married with Arabs. We've had an Arab president. In my country in general do not consider race as an issue. But there's still racism around, you will never completely elliminate that as it is normal for human beings to feel more identified with what's familiar to them, and you just can't police what people feel and believe. If someone wants to think latinos are inferior, that's fine with me, as long as they don't ACT on that on matters that affect me.

User avatar
Lucrece
Posts: 3558
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:01 am UTC

Re: The least racist country?

Postby Lucrece » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:33 am UTC

henryx wrote:
Lemminkainen wrote:The United States-- name any other non-African country where somebody of African descent has been elected president. Hell, name any other large or significant country with a head of state who's a member of a racial minority.


You do realize that the vast majority of countries out there don't have as many citizens of african descent, don't you? In my own country (Argentina) we have an extremely diverse population, with the vast majority of the population being of mixed ascent, but we have less than 1% of people of sub-saharan african origin (can't we just say Black?). I have Jewish friends married with Arabs. We've had an Arab president. In my country in general do not consider race as an issue. But there's still racism around, you will never completely elliminate that as it is normal for human beings to feel more identified with what's familiar to them, and you just can't police what people feel and believe. If someone wants to think latinos are inferior, that's fine with me, as long as they don't ACT on that on matters that affect me.


I recall an Argentinian schoolmate remarking that the first time he saw a black person was at a U.S. airport.

People should stop treating race relations as if they were universal. The U.S. Civil Rights movement isn't the only depiction of racism across the world. I can tell you racism in Latin American is a very different beast from the U.S.

Grab any racial minority in Venezuela, and their take on the racist system and how they respond to it differs starkly from any black person in the U.S.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

Philwelch
Posts: 2904
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:33 am UTC
Location: RIGHT BEHIND YOU

Re: The least racist country?

Postby Philwelch » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:05 am UTC

And that doesn't even get into racism *between* countries, which is a different animal and is usually fueled by historical rivalries (i.e. Japan vs. every other Asian country ever).
Fascism: If you're not with us you're against us.
Leftism: If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem.

Perfection is an unattainable goal.

General_Norris
Posts: 1399
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:10 pm UTC

Re: The least racist country?

Postby General_Norris » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:59 am UTC

I think this threads needs facts.

Unfortunatedly there are not facts for these subjective topics.

User avatar
athelas
A Sophisticated Plagiarism Engine
Posts: 584
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:37 am UTC

Re: The least racist country?

Postby athelas » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:03 pm UTC

Arguably a big impetus for this thread is tribalism, a way for (for example) Americans to say "Yeah, we're the best, look at how we elected a black man, we're so much more enlightened than you Malaysians (or whoever)." Ironically, this kind of in-group, out-group thinking is not that far from the attitude taken by racists.

User avatar
Griffin
Posts: 1363
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:46 am UTC

Re: The least racist country?

Postby Griffin » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:15 am UTC

Mr Jack wrote:I find the attitudes of New Zealanders to Asian immigrants makes me more uncomfortable. Maybe it's just because I'm a biased white academic kind of person, and I know a lot of Asian immigrants.


Actually, I've noticed this living in New Zealand too. You'll find people who seem perfectly pleasant, deal amicably with everyone, and then from nowhere comes a stream of vitriol against Asians folloed by "but I'm not racist". It's actually confused me the few times it has happened, just because it seems so out of place.

Anyways, the problem with comparing racism across countries is that every country has different types and symptoms of racism, and those which could be considered least racist are usually those which have such a monoracial population that theres not a whole lot of opportunity for people to even think of those of other races.

Prejudice and bigotry are common to every group on the planet - soem places, you just have to dig deeper than others to find it. I think as long as a country makes various efforts to avoid or eliminate systemization of those prejudices, they're doing a good job.
Bdthemag: "I don't always GM, but when I do I prefer to put my player's in situations that include pain and torture. Stay creative my friends."

Bayobeasts - the Pokemon: Orthoclase project.

User avatar
Oculus Vespertilionis
Posts: 434
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:42 pm UTC

Re: The least racist country?

Postby Oculus Vespertilionis » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:05 am UTC

Story time: moving to California. Grandfather gets very, VERY upset dealing with a variety of folks with thick accents. Indian and Mexican, I believe, possibly also Iraqi, not sure. Says something about wanting to find someone who "speaks English". Made me very upset with him, because:
1) They were speaking English. I could understand them just fine with my bland "generic American" (spoken on American TV news broadcasts, etc) accent.
2) Grandfather has an incredibly thick "briar" accent, and his problem was probably at least as much an issue of his own accent as theirs.
I don't know, though, if this attitude should qualify as racist or not. Fact is, my grandfather has no issue with immigrants and doesn't think people from one culture or country have more right to be here than another. He just strongly believes that learning good English is an important part of that process -- to him, you come to America, you should speak the modern language that's generally spoken. Again, though, the irony of him being several-generation American but still speaking with a strong regional accent is lost on him.
You do what you can to make relationships and to respect yourself and others. Everything else is bookkeeping.

User avatar
Grop
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:36 am UTC
Location: France

Re: The least racist country?

Postby Grop » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:48 am UTC

That would well go in the annoying misconceptions thread: Immigrants in the US don't speak a perfect English because they can't be bothered to learn.

winegums
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 7:46 pm UTC

Re: The least racist country?

Postby winegums » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:04 pm UTC

Shouldn't the degree of racism in a country be ascertained by the attitudes of its people towards those of varying ethnicities and backgrounds? All this talk of how many people a country has from minority x, y, z seems absurd and irrelevant. It doesn't matter if your country's racial profile is an even split of black/white/asian/indian/african, if they all hate each other then your country is still pretty racist.

Also America loses any points they might've got for putting a black guy in charge, because they prattle on endlessly about it. Once you made race an issue you lost your brownie points. It's like when an ugly person occasionally reaches stardom in the music industry Like her, and everyone says "oh look it's so great that she's come so far while not being good looking. Gee, us humans are pretty great and accepting and stuff". When you do it silently and treat them no differently from anyone else, you gain respect. When you make a big show and dance about it, you come across as smug.

User avatar
Oculus Vespertilionis
Posts: 434
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:42 pm UTC

Re: The least racist country?

Postby Oculus Vespertilionis » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:52 pm UTC

winegums wrote:Shouldn't the degree of racism in a country be ascertained by the attitudes of its people towards those of varying ethnicities and backgrounds? All this talk of how many people a country has from minority x, y, z seems absurd and irrelevant. It doesn't matter if your country's racial profile is an even split of black/white/asian/indian/african, if they all hate each other then your country is still pretty racist.


I think the discussion is there because of the other way. If your country is almost entirely one race such that racial tensions aren't a serious cultural issue, we really don't know how folks in your country would actually treat minorities if they had them to deal with. Certainly racial diversity + racial hate = racism, but no racial hate doesn't mean anything without racial diversity.
OcV
You do what you can to make relationships and to respect yourself and others. Everything else is bookkeeping.

User avatar
Lucrece
Posts: 3558
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:01 am UTC

Re: The least racist country?

Postby Lucrece » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:09 pm UTC

Oculus Vespertilionis wrote:Story time: moving to California. Grandfather gets very, VERY upset dealing with a variety of folks with thick accents. Indian and Mexican, I believe, possibly also Iraqi, not sure. Says something about wanting to find someone who "speaks English". Made me very upset with him, because:
1) They were speaking English. I could understand them just fine with my bland "generic American" (spoken on American TV news broadcasts, etc) accent.
2) Grandfather has an incredibly thick "briar" accent, and his problem was probably at least as much an issue of his own accent as theirs.
I don't know, though, if this attitude should qualify as racist or not. Fact is, my grandfather has no issue with immigrants and doesn't think people from one culture or country have more right to be here than another. He just strongly believes that learning good English is an important part of that process -- to him, you come to America, you should speak the modern language that's generally spoken. Again, though, the irony of him being several-generation American but still speaking with a strong regional accent is lost on him.



That would fall under xenophobic. Belief in superiority of accents to another is enough criteria for the label. The thing is, most Americans don't notice that even their language is full of different accents.

Just tell him to try to learn Spanish without the slightest hint of an accent.

I can guarantee you, if you emigrate to a place being more then 16 years old, you will not get rid of an accent.

I have been living in the U.S. for 7 years, and my accent is nowhere near gone. Not thick, but still troublesome as regards fluidity of speech. Your thought patterns even become disjointed as you become preoccupied not only with what you're saying, but how you're actually saying it. Major slowdown in comparison to being able to speak your mother tongue. Even the tone changes, so your brands of humor cannot be translated to English.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

cspirou
Posts: 147
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:09 pm UTC

Re: The least racist country?

Postby cspirou » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:45 am UTC

General_Norris wrote:Well, at all isn't correct. I don't hear enough racist taunts so as to call it "routinely heard". I think the other points are much more common. I think they spend more time insulting the other team than being racist if you ask me. They are stupid so they try whatever they have.

Unfortunatedly football is not exactly the pinnacle of Spanish culture. Not at all. Very much not at all. Football attracts the worst of society around here I'm afraid.


Haven't been on this for awhile so I apologize for responding late.

My claim isn't just based on fans but in fact on athletes themselves.

Spanish basketball team
Spanish football coach
Spanish Tennis Team

And just to mention that it isn't just in football.

Fans taunt Lewis Hamilton

This is stuff I have read over the years and it does lead me to believe that there is a cultural element since it's over so many different sports. Now I have never been to Spain and I can't attest to racism on a daily basis. In fact I look forward to visiting the country one day and I doubt I'll see any major problems. But my claim doesn't come from nowhere.

starfyredragon
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:02 pm UTC

Re: The least racist country?

Postby starfyredragon » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:26 pm UTC

It doesn't count as a country, as it is a continent. But I would have to say,
Antarctica.

1: Employment: All people in Antarctica are employed or too young to be employed and have well-paid guardians.
2: Education: More than half have PhDs.
3: The Law: To my knowledge, noone has ever been put in jail for breaking antarctic law. As such, there is perfect equality in the eyes of the law in that regard. Leadership is purely determined by one's academic level.
4. The Media: Strongly obsessed with global warming, the global habitat, and shipping. No known racial discrimination in media.
5: Public Figures: Again, scientists instead of politicians. They earned their way to the top of Antarctic politics.
6: Social Life: Comparing indigenous vs non-indigenous peoples of Antarctica is very lopsided. To my understanding, the only indigenous antarctican is still single, and quite young. His parents (both non-indigenous) have had relationships (obviously). As such, statistically, you're infinitely more likely to get some if you're not a native antarctican. However, when you take into account age, the statistics have 0 out of 0 adult antarcticans being in successful relationships. As such, it's both 0% and 100%, and results like these obviously imply that they're both successfully getting it on, and not getting any, depending on how you interpret it. Thus, it may be a natural assumption from that to assume that all indigenous adult antarcticans are lesbian. Further, as tempteratures in Antarctica, on average, are below 0, the average temperature of an indigenous adult antarctican can be taken as either 0 (which is above 0) or infinitely high, again due to division by 0.

The lesson we can learn from antarctica: A land of cold scientists makes for a land of hot lesbians?

Zauderer
Posts: 96
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:47 pm UTC

Re: The least racist country?

Postby Zauderer » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:33 am UTC

C.B wrote:I think Germany holds the one exception to this: it's still illegal to do the "Heil Hitler" salute.


No, this is by far not the only exception. Several European states have laws on Holocaust denial and on the use of Nazi insignia and salutes (resp. on the use of insignias and salutes of banned organizations, which include all Nazi organizations).

Also, some European countries do not guarantee freedom of speech, but freedom of opinion. Holocaust denial, which is stating something incorrect, is not considered to be an "opinion" and is therefore not constitutionally protected.


Return to “Serious Business”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Leovan and 14 guests