Structured Debate?

For the serious discussion of weighty matters and worldly issues. No off-topic posts allowed.

Moderators: Azrael, Moderators General, Prelates

Philwelch

Re: Structured Debate?

Postby Philwelch » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:48 pm UTC

It's amusing that you ask "what's wrong with this" while leaving out the entire part of my quote that explains exactly what's wrong with this.

Simply put, there's no room to honestly discuss, think about, or explore these issues when we discuss them in a format that's designed primarily as a teaching mechanism for schoolchildren.
Fascism: If you're not with us you're against us.
Leftism: If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem.

Perfection is an unattainable goal.

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:18 pm UTC

I never encountered that as a teaching mechanism, so perhaps I am missing something that would be obvious if I had.

That it is also used as a teaching mechanism seems not in itself a downside, reading books for example is also a teaching mechanism. Can you give an example how things go wrong?

Kaiyas

Postby Kaiyas » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:51 pm UTC

Rather than spewing facts, maybe each side should be required to formulate a solution at some point in the debate. Over which the quibbling may continue- but it at the very least it provides an opportunity for input rather than recitation.
clintonius wrote:This place is like mental masturbation

Philwelch

Postby Philwelch » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:21 am UTC

Kaiyas wrote:Rather than spewing facts, maybe each side should be required to formulate a solution at some point in the debate. Over which the quibbling may continue- but it at the very least it provides an opportunity for input rather than recitation.

Except "formulating a solution" is usually part of the question. For instance: "Resolved: The United States should abolish capital punishment". Formulating a solution would be to say...."The United States should abolish capital punishment". Unless you got into implementation detail ("The United States should enact a constitutional amendment...") which only distracts from the issue at hand rather than clarifying it.
Fascism: If you're not with us you're against us.
Leftism: If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem.

Perfection is an unattainable goal.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:56 pm UTC

Reality speaks, and it says "No, you don't have the time for this."

So ... unstickied.

Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:21 am UTC

Naww.

*kicks a can*
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I feel like you're probably an ocelot, and I feel like I want to eat you. Feeling is fun!
this isn't my cow

drunken

Postby drunken » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:26 pm UTC

We could always go with what I was planning, which is to start an informal version of this in forum games. This requires no extra mod effort. Just start a thread with a list of topics, get people to reply with what topics they want to debate and which side they will take. Then when you have enough people for a topic spawn a new thread and start debating. Obviously linking it here would be a good idea too.
***This post is my own opinion and no claim is being made that it is in any way scientific nor intended to be construed as such by any reader***

JonScholar

Postby JonScholar » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:29 pm UTC

Bumping, in order to request that this idea is reconsidered. I would highly support structured debate on these forums. If Azreal can not, or does not want to oversee and moderate said debates, then perhaps another moderator would volunteer their time.

Return to “Serious Business”