Are Climate Changes being caused by Nuclear Proliferation?

For the serious discussion of weighty matters and worldly issues. No off-topic posts allowed.

Moderators: Azrael, Moderators General, Prelates

cmacis

Postby cmacis » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:45 pm UTC

Aye, in SimEarth you can't cool a planet just by adding more oxygen into the atmosphere. All you do then is cause more fires and raise atmospheric pressure. You need to remove co2 to solve the problem of excess co2.
li te'o te'a vei pai pi'i ka'o ve'o su'i pa du li no
Mathematician is a function mapping tea onto theorems. Sadly this function is irreversible.
QED is Latin for small empty box.
Ceci n’est pas une [s]pipe[/s] signature.

Messiah

Postby Messiah » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:28 am UTC

God I love when someone like HawkNC does all the hard work, and I can just sit back and say "yeah, what he said."

One thing I LOVE from that article you first offered:
[quote]“Our panic-prone scientists seem to have forgotten their own ice cores, drilled deep into the Greenland ice sheet in the 1980s.â€
"The possession of anything begins in the mind" - Bruce Lee

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:49 pm UTC

*sign*. People who read into my comments things I don't say.

The amount of O2 in the atmosphere is huge. We are in no short to medium term danger of running out of O2 in the atmosphere.

We are in short-to-medium term danger of significantly increasing the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere.

Almost all of our O2 consumption is of the form O2 + Carbon Compound -> CO2 + residuals.

So the order of magnitude changes we make to O2 and CO2 in the atmosphere is the same.

A doubling of the CO2 in the atmosphere would be catastrophic, but the same number of molecules of O2 removed from the atmosphere would be completely ignoreable. As such, worrying about running out of O2 is something you should worry about after we solve the CO2 problem.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:35 pm UTC

Messiah: I do love a good scientific smackdown on occasion, so I'm glad to be of assistance. ;) BTW, with the seemingly random capitalisation of my name...not a QLDFFer by any chance, are you?
ImageImageImageImageImage

Messiah

Postby Messiah » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:06 am UTC

Mmmm, I did think that it probably wasn't caps, but I was too lazy to go back and check. I'm not in QldFF, but after a google, I just may well be....
"The possession of anything begins in the mind" - Bruce Lee

Return to “Serious Business”