Pedophilephobia

For the serious discussion of weighty matters and worldly issues. No off-topic posts allowed.

Moderators: Azrael, Moderators General, Prelates

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Re: Pedophilephobia

Postby Kewangji » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:33 pm UTC

Thesh wrote:It's simple:

Wait for a major incident, shooting or bombing or something like that, get officials to lie and say that because of the media, the police investigation was hindered and the people who did it got away. The next day, maybe the same day, when people are in a state of panic, write up and pass the bill.

People will be emotional, and when people are emotional, they are not rational, and not enough people will care about their rights until it is too late. That's what happened with the patriot act.

Ugh.

Not thinking rationally is not the same thing as being emotional. Being emotional does not hinder one from being rational. It's true that grieving people might not have much brainspace over to question the integrity of the smiling man in a suit selling coffins to them, but we need to place emotional value on things to judge them rationally, or nothing matters at all. Then we have Spock's Syndrome, and we can't make the simplest decisions, because it's all meaningless.

In short: Emotional is the wrong word for what you want to say.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

HungryHobo

Postby HungryHobo » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:06 pm UTC

not really.
it is accurate.
people genuinely do get horribly irrational when they're overcome by emotion unless you define rational as "anything which feels right" when you're upset or overwhelmed by something.

For a trivial example:
Wanting a lot of chocolate because you feel bad may be a choice you make when you feel upset but it might not look so rational later on when your stomach is hurting.
Give a man a fish, he owes you one fish. Teach a man to fish, you give up your monopoly on fisheries.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:13 pm UTC

HungryHobo wrote:not really.
it is accurate.
people genuinely do get horribly irrational when they're overcome by emotion unless you define rational as "anything which feels right" when you're upset or overwhelmed by something.

For a trivial example:
Wanting a lot of chocolate because you feel bad may be a choice you make when you feel upset but it might not look so rational later on when your stomach is hurting.

So, emotional can apparently mean both 'overcome by emotion' and 'of or relating to emotions'. I did not know this, and I apologize for the confusion.

You posit that a person who is overcome by emotion loses rational capability. This means they had it before, and it should mean that they will regain it once the wave of emotions subside, correct? Why then, do we not see supporters of these bills outraged when they realize what their senators tricked them into?
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

HungryHobo

Postby HungryHobo » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:12 pm UTC

Ask the psychologists why but once someone publicly supports something or make a snap decision they can be very good at rationalising it later.
It's why a lot of scams work, you get someone to make commitment of some kind and they'll do a lot of the rationalising why they should have done it afterwards especially if it's an obviously bad idea.
Give a man a fish, he owes you one fish. Teach a man to fish, you give up your monopoly on fisheries.

randeeman

Postby randeeman » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:36 pm UTC

I had three little sisters. I was 11 when the youngest was born. I love children. My eyes light up when I see a child. Now I am scared to talk to them. I am a single man. Since I turned thirty, the suspicion been unrelenting. I had an older sister too. She was kidnapped, raped and murdered when she was 18. I understand why people are suspicious. People abuse children. I think they are creepy too. I don't understand the attraction. Of course reasonable precautions have to be taken. But the amount of fear is outrageous. I once saw a woman come into a convenience store with her children. There was a group of men in the coffee area. She looked at us wildly and told her children to be careful because, "There are lots of kidnappers in here".
When it was strangers or the neighbors who were suspicious it was somewhat understandable. Then people I regarded as close friends started having children. I was happy. At last there were children I could play with. Then it all fell apart. I suspect the friend of friends who was abused as a child and is terrified of me. I can't be sure, though, as no one ever accused me to my face. It's all said behind your back. I liked children too much. I wasn't welcome near their children. I wasn't welcome in their houses. They tried to stare me down at poker. In short, I lost pretty much every close friend I had. I'd known some of them for over 15 years. Rob and Cliff, two other single friends, are beloved uncles. I am an outcast. I believe that Teri is still warning people about me. I can't be sure. No one accuses me to my face. I certainly can't confront Teri. She has panic attacks all the time when I am present. Apparently I remind her of her abusive father. All this hurts me very much. I am one of the good guys. I protect women and children when I can. People are putting me in the same category as the man who tortured and killed my sister. I am a victim of pedophiles without ever having been touched.
I have no real solutions. They are out there. Don't repeat gossip just because it's delicious? Some sort of proof is required? But paranoia is still crazy when it's everywhere.

Abgrund

Postby Abgrund » Thu May 05, 2011 12:39 am UTC

If it's not too late to add a post on the original topic, I'd like to point out that in addition to the tens of thousands of innocent men who are viciously punished by insane laws, and the hundreds of millions who have to live under the constant shadow of the witch hunt, there are even greater number of children who are being brought up to be in constant fear and suspicion of everyone around them, especially older people and males.

The price of this imaginary "protection" of children is not just the terrorism of adults today, but the breakdown of community and a crippling societal paranoia that grows year by year.

HungryHobo

Postby HungryHobo » Thu May 05, 2011 2:22 am UTC

A really depressing one I came across on reddit.

Kinda "child called it" with an added extra sadistic twist.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/h ... _and_then/

gfile-destroyer

Postby gfile-destroyer » Tue May 17, 2011 4:38 pm UTC

While I dont have anything to contribute as to whether people are creating a culture too negative or protective, I can say that the fear is valid. My last exgirlfriend had been sexually abused as a kid.. My little sister had been sexually abused as a kid.. A girl I've been talking to recently on a chatting website had been sexually abused as a kid. I'm sure Ive known other girls who were abused, but I just wasn't close enough to them for them to tell me, or they hid it too well. The kind of pain this crime causes is really terrible, it's very hard to get past, it leads to all kinds of other problems such as cutting and drinking, and from what I've seen almost none of it is ever reported as the victims are too ashamed and traumatized at the time. It can take years before they will even tell anyone what happened. It's really heart breaking what they have to go through, and Im not sure the pain ever leaves they just have to overcome it and live with it as best they can. I don't know what the punishment for this crime is, but Im going to wager a guess that it's not near severe enough. You really have to be watchful because it's not an easy crime to police, as I said earlier, the kids have trouble talking about it with the people they trust most, YEARS after it takes place.

Return to “Serious Business”