Global Warming surely is real?

For the serious discussion of weighty matters and worldly issues. No off-topic posts allowed.

Moderators: Azrael, Moderators General, Prelates

Adam Preston
WINNING

Global Warming surely is real?

Postby Adam Preston » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:12 pm UTC

I have heard many people who believe that global warming is a myth for numerous reasons, these include lack of evidence, other earth actions causing the same effects and so on. But isn't the planet Venus a perfect example of global warming? In theory Mercury should be the warmest planet because it's the closes to the Sun, but Venus as we know it is, this is because it's atmosphere consists mainly of Carbon Dioxide, so that's proof isn't it?
He who will not economize will have to agonize - Confucius

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Re: Global Warming surely is real?

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:15 pm UTC

No, God made Venus the way it was meant to be.

On a serious note, yes, both Venus and Mars are examples of runaway global climate changing events. With Mars anyway, there's evidence that it once had water, so, it's possible that a run away global cooling event led to what we see today. With Venus, it's possible that a runaway heating event led to what we see today.

Or God did it. Whatever.

That said, I'm not sure how that proves or disproves global warming on Earth; the people who argue this sort of thing aren't going to look at things like, say, evidence, as, you know, evidence.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

c_programmer

Postby c_programmer » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:24 pm UTC

Most of the controversy is due to politics and what is causing it, very few deny its existence at this point (although some, such as my dad, do). Politicians see the issue and realize that their agendas can be advanced by this, the other side then must take the polar opposite and deny its existence. If it were not so heavily politicized I doubt there would be such an issue.

Meteoric

Postby Meteoric » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:44 pm UTC

Adam Preston wrote:But isn't the planet Venus a perfect example of global warming?

It is an example, I guess. But the skeptics I've talked to or read about don't usually try to argue that the greenhouse effect is physically impossible, only that it isn't happening here on Earth, or that it isn't caused by human actions. The existence of Venus thus doesn't prove much of anything useful, in terms of countering their arguments.
No, even in theory, you cannot build a rocket more massive than the visible universe.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:05 pm UTC

Surely there are already topics about this?

- Az

EDIT: (Use this one)

Return to “Serious Business”