Trump presidency

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

CorruptUser

Re: Trump presidency

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:17 pm UTC

Bojack.

"We aren't making Casablamca here!"

Later
"Heh, it's great working with your husband, I mean, he knows we are making a piece of shit."
"EXCUSE me?"
"Well, you said you weren't making Casablanca"
"Of course we aren't making Casablanca, they already made Casablanca!"

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:24 pm UTC

That's too much man!
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:32 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Bojack.

Thank you. It's been driving me nuts.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:43 pm UTC

I want to be an architect.

It's rare a cartoon will make you cry, even rarer when it's one of the relatively unsympathetic side characters; they really developed her in that season without coming across as trying too hard.

Actual saddest thing in that season? Pay attention to the opening. At first it's a gag that the opening changes during the later episodes, but in the very last one...

sardia

Postby sardia » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:23 am UTC

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/13/us/p ... f=politics
In an interview with The Wall Street Journal this week, Mr. Trump threatened to withhold the subsidy payments as a way to induce the Democrats to bargain with him.
Continue reading the main story
For now, Democrats are resisting and using his maneuver against him to energize their own party. And they warn that Mr. Trump will be blamed if the insurance markets collapse and people lose coverage next year.

Gimme what I want or I burn it all to ashes! I don't think this will work, but man Trump's petty cruel side emerges yet again.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:44 am UTC

sardia wrote:Gimme what I want or I burn it all to ashes! I don't think this will work, but man Trump's petty cruel side emerges yet again.

Wait, did his petty cruel side ever go out of sight?

sardia

Postby sardia » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:07 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:
Wait, did his petty cruel side ever go out of sight?

Yes, it goes away when he's kissing butt/wooing someone. He's very friendly/charismatic person when you aren't being fucked by him.

Koa

Postby Koa » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:15 pm UTC

I see you found what I was referring to.

sardia

Postby sardia » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:45 am UTC

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/16/us/p ... .html?_r=0
The relentless drive by Kim Jong-un to assemble an arsenal, the propaganda and deception swirling around his progress, the hints of a covert war by the United States to undermine the effort, rather than be forced into open confrontation — were on vivid display this weekend.
There was the parade in Pyongyang’s main square, with wave after wave of missiles atop mobile launchers, intended to convey a sense that Mr. Kim’s program is unstoppable. Then came another embarrassing setback, a missile test that failed seconds after liftoff, the same pattern seen in a surprising number of launches since President Barack Obama ordered stepped-up cyber- and electronic-warfare attacks in early 2014. Finally, there was the test that did not happen, at least yet — a sixth nuclear explosion. It is primed and ready to go, satellite images show.
What is playing out, said Robert Litwak of the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, who tracks this potentially deadly interplay, is “the Cuban missile crisis in slow motion.” But the slow-motion part appears to be speeding up, as President Trump and his aides have made it clear that the United States will no longer tolerate the incremental advances that have moved Mr. Kim so close to his goals.

Wait, wasn't the Cuban Missile Crisis the part of history where we almost started WWIII but with nukes? Aka the end of the world? Well shit, Trump might well be the last president after all then. I owe my hyperbolic Democratic friend a drink then. I shouldn't have bet that the US would continue to exist after Trump.

Liri
Healthy non-floating pooper reporting for doodie.

Postby Liri » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:26 pm UTC

They need to get Dennis Rodman back in there. The Dennis Rodman who is a "friend for life" of Kim Jong-Un *and* endorsed Trump for president.
kalira wrote:But your own butt is always in the past, because it's behind you.

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:30 pm UTC

Yes, but keep in mind that the greatest and most vehement critic of the current actions and policies of the orange, shit-flinging baboon currently inhabiting the Whitehouse appears to be a minor media celeb called Donald J Trump.
Spoiler:
Giant Speck wrote:You're a demon! DEMON!!!!

Oregonaut wrote:CURSE YOU VILLAIN!!
PhoenixEnigma wrote:Jumble is either the best or worst Santa ever, and I can't figure out which. Possibly both.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:49 am UTC

https://mobile.twitter.com/politico/sta ... 1279720457

I don't even know what to say to that.
Honesty replaced by greed, they gave us the reason to fight and bleed
They try to torch our faith and hope, spit at our presence and detest our goals

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:14 am UTC

Opus_723

Postby Opus_723 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:45 am UTC

And it turns out that we didn't have ships off the Korean peninsula after all. They're like, totally on their way now though.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-39638012

Koa

Postby Koa » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:15 am UTC

Thesh wrote:https://mobile.twitter.com/politico/status/853999491279720457

I don't even know what to say to that.

Mother: He was trying to teach you a valuable life lesson, that sometimes you have to reach across the crowd and work with other people to get what is yours, and to trust in the goodwill of the community to help.
Little brother: What about bad people in the community you talk about like mexicans and muslims?
Mother: Those people didn't vote for him, dear.
Little brother: I thought you said they did?
Uncle: Dude's demented.
Father: At least I got mah guns.

sardia

Postby sardia » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:34 pm UTC

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/5- ... n-results/
The crazy good results from Kansas election has faded as the Georgia election hints that the Democratic edge is merely good. We'll know more after June, and if there are any more special elections.
June election is expected to be a toss up with a big margin of error.

Opus_723

Postby Opus_723 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:04 am UTC

Georgia seems like it can be read in a lot of ways. Ossof didn't improve on Clinton's performance, but if you compare him against the congressional race last November instead of the presidential one, he looks absolutely golden. And Clinton's performance in Georgia was already a sharp turn from previous years. One could argue that just holding that shift down is an accomplishment.

But you could also argue that it eases fears among Republicans after Kansas and that over performance in California. At least the state of things seems less catastrophic than +20 margins all around for Democrats, which was kind of a silly notion to begin with.

Overall it looks like three special elections with two fantastic results for Democrats and one good but ambiguous one. It's still too small a sample size and too far from next November, but it's hard to read good news for the Republican party out of these.

sardia

Postby sardia » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:14 am UTC

Opus_723 wrote:Georgia seems like it can be read in a lot of ways. Ossof didn't improve on Clinton's performance, but if you compare him against the congressional race last November instead of the presidential one, he looks absolutely golden. And Clinton's performance in Georgia was already a sharp turn from previous years. One could argue that just holding that shift down is an accomplishment.

But you could also argue that it eases fears among Republicans after Kansas and that over performance in California. At least the state of things seems less catastrophic than +20 margins all around for Democrats, which was kind of a silly notion to begin with.

Overall it looks like three special elections with two fantastic results for Democrats and one good but ambiguous one. It's still too small a sample size and too far from next November, but it's hard to read good news for the Republican party out of these.

The next one is the Montana special election, and I think there's a senate election at the end of the year as well? The rule of thumb is to average the difference in vote margins. Each race is quirky, but combined, you'll get predictive value. To be honest though, Trump doesn't seem politically much worse than Bush post Iraq. Midterms are bad for the president's party anyway, I'm not seeing a huge Trump is awful vote that can't already be explained by midterm backlash.

Opus_723

Postby Opus_723 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:41 am UTC

sardia wrote:The next one is the Montana special election, and I think there's a senate election at the end of the year as well? The rule of thumb is to average the difference in vote margins. Each race is quirky, but combined, you'll get predictive value. To be honest though, Trump doesn't seem politically much worse than Bush post Iraq. Midterms are bad for the president's party anyway, I'm not seeing a huge Trump is awful vote that can't already be explained by midterm backlash.

That all sounds about right to me. I think a lot of Democrats are hoping the backlash to Trump will be of unprecedented scale, and I just don't see that. But I would point out that a "Bush post Iraq" backlash gave us Obama and a Democrat supermajority, if only briefly. So that would still be a big problem for Republicans.

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:30 am UTC

Opus_723 wrote:That all sounds about right to me. I think a lot of Democrats are hoping the backlash to Trump will be of unprecedented scale, and I just don't see that.

I think part of this is that when Trump was early on signing executive orders and such there was such a backlash that smacked him in his easily bruised ego, that now he's being a lot quieter and not really taking the spotlight quite as much as he tried to in his first weeks. Travel ban being shot down twice, failure to pass ACA repeal/replace even with a friendly congress, and ongoing investigations over Russia connections have made this "running the country" job a lot harder and more unpleasant than he was bargaining for.

Trump not taking the center stage quite so often though means that he's not doing visibly terrible things with the office of the presidency (there's certainly terrible things going on, but they're not taking center stage and look more like backroom deals and politics as usual).

Without his horribleness on display in the center ring of the circus it's not generating the voter backlash that Democrats were expecting.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:56 am UTC

Apropos of nothing more than "it was inevitable", see the three most recent thread-titles that awaited me, just now, without any effort on my part...
Spoiler:
Photo - 02017-44-20-09-44-57.jpg
Photo - 02017-44-20-09-44-57.jpg (56.21 KiB) Viewed 1235 times

(In case of future forum migration failure, that's...)
  • Trump Presidency
  • are morals relative or absolute?
  • Let's Talk Money
(...because this so contributes to the discussion, that it deserves posterity, right?)

((If I'd have gone to the trouble of then marking as read a couple more threads, before screenshotting, I could have lined up "Count to a million" as the next. :P))

Liri

Postby Liri » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:26 pm UTC

*one of* the most unfortunate things about Trump is that if he'd acknowledged he didn't have any sort of mandate for radical dismantling of Obama-era policies and just been a do-nothing president, quietly helping patch up the ACA, not getting in the way of the Paris climate agreement, etc., he'd have been pretty okay

that Kentucky coal mining museum switching to solar power is pretty rich, but it's a good glimmer that the economic realities are hard to ignore, even if you feign ignorance of climate change

cphite

Postby cphite » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:29 pm UTC

Opus_723 wrote:
sardia wrote:The next one is the Montana special election, and I think there's a senate election at the end of the year as well? The rule of thumb is to average the difference in vote margins. Each race is quirky, but combined, you'll get predictive value. To be honest though, Trump doesn't seem politically much worse than Bush post Iraq. Midterms are bad for the president's party anyway, I'm not seeing a huge Trump is awful vote that can't already be explained by midterm backlash.

That all sounds about right to me. I think a lot of Democrats are hoping the backlash to Trump will be of unprecedented scale, and I just don't see that. But I would point out that a "Bush post Iraq" backlash gave us Obama and a Democrat supermajority, if only briefly. So that would still be a big problem for Republicans.

It's not really backlash so much as it's the usual pattern in US politics, as it's been for the past few cycles. The electorate moves one way, the opposition mobilizes and swings it the other way again. And then the cycle repeats itself. A lot of it's due to the fact that we have only two serious political parties, and only around a third of us actually vote... it's not so much that the population is moving left and right, but rather that more people on the opposition side feel motivated enough to bother voting.

Opus_723

Postby Opus_723 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:49 pm UTC

cphite wrote:
Opus_723 wrote:

It's not really backlash so much as it's the usual pattern in US politics, as it's been for the past few cycles. The electorate moves one way, the opposition mobilizes and swings it the other way again. And then the cycle repeats itself. A lot of it's due to the fact that we have only two serious political parties, and only around a third of us actually vote... it's not so much that the population is moving left and right, but rather that more people on the opposition side feel motivated enough to bother voting.

Midterms are always bad, sure, but they can be mildly bad or really really bad, and that probably reflects on the president somewhat. If highly energized left-leaners are voting more than less-energized right-leaners, I'm comfortable calling that a "backlash." We know the midterms will almost surely swing against the Republican party, but to what degree is an interesting and important question, and the public opinion of Trump plays into that. (I think? Has anyone checked approval ratings against midterm results?)

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:36 am UTC

First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

CelticNot

Postby CelticNot » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:50 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:Soooo... uhhh.... Apparently this image isn't ironic.

More to this story here: http://www.newsweek.com/2017/04/28/alt- ... 86355.html

Pardon my language, but what the unholy fuck?!

I'm starting to think I'm going to see a race/culture war involving guns in my lifetime.
This sig for rent. Rates negotiable.

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:59 pm UTC

Is the style of art or imagery used a reference to something? Like the women's rights movement or something? It has the look of that era, and white supremacists / the far right in general tend not to have many artistic sorts among them, so presumably the image was plagiarised from somewhere.

Liri

Postby Liri » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:04 pm UTC

Mutex wrote:Is the style of art or imagery used a reference to something? Like the women's rights movement or something? It has the look of that era, and white supremacists / the far right in general tend not to have many artistic sorts among them, so presumably the image was plagiarised from somewhere.

...did you read the article?

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:10 pm UTC

No, I'm at work and didn't want to spend more than possible on that sort of content, I'll read it at home if it's explained.

Liri

Postby Liri » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:13 pm UTC

Yeah, it's explained. The first image KE linked is "Rosie the Riveter" which was a WWII poster encouraging women to work in industry and subsequently became an iconic feminist poster. The original text is "Let's get to work."

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:19 pm UTC

Mutex wrote:Is the style of art or imagery used a reference to something? Like the women's rights movement or something? It has the look of that era, and white supremacists / the far right in general tend not to have many artistic sorts among them, so presumably the image was plagiarised from somewhere.

Lets call it what it is. Trolls be trolling.

Rosie the Riveter is considered one of the #1 Feminist posters of all time. So White Supremacists are using her as a symbol now out of irony. I think this is important to note: the subculture of White Supremacists is deep into modern internet culture and memes. They know what they're doing and they're aware of the nature of internet memes and how to seek attention.

By putting white-supremacist words onto a Feminist Poster, they're probably going to get more attention than they deserve. But I still feel like its important to share the story so that yall are aware of their techniques.

CelticNot wrote:
KnightExemplar wrote:Soooo... uhhh.... Apparently this image isn't ironic.

More to this story here: http://www.newsweek.com/2017/04/28/alt- ... 86355.html

Pardon my language, but what the unholy fuck?!

I'm starting to think I'm going to see a race/culture war involving guns in my lifetime.

California is... you know how California is... But with all the ruckus going on in UC Berkley right now, I'd be worried if it spreads further.

I'm hoping it remains a rowdy politically active California thing however, and doesn't really spread outside of California or otherwise get worse.
Last edited by KnightExemplar on Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:33 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:33 pm UTC

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_Can_Do_It!

Edit:
KnightExemplar wrote:California is... you know how California is... But with all the ruckus going on in UC Berkley right now, I'd be worried if it spreads further.

I'm hoping it remains a rowdy politically active California thing however, and doesn't really spread outside of California or otherwise get worse.

It's not just "California" it's morel like "Berkley is...you know how Berkley is." Especially how some of the violent protestors are Black Block up from Oakland.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:37 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:
KnightExemplar wrote:California is... you know how California is... But with all the ruckus going on in UC Berkley right now, I'd be worried if it spreads further.

It's not just "California" it's morel like "Berkley is...you know how Berkley is." Especially how some of the violent protestors are Black Block up from Oakland.

Ehh fair enough. California is a big place. Oakland / Berkley area is really big about those protests and have a big "protest culture".

Some of my cousins live in Oakland. So basically the only impression I get from California is from my Oakland visits. I probably shouldn't generalize California from just what I've seen in Oakland.

mcd001

Postby mcd001 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:14 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:Rosie the Riveter is considered one of the #1 Feminist posters of all time.

Rosie the Riveter is actually not a feminist poster. She dates back to WWII and was used to help promote and mobilize civilians to support the war effort (alongside all those "Buy War Bonds" and "Uncle Sam Wants You" posters).

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:29 pm UTC

So a swastika is just a Buddhist symbol for you? Things change in context. She is actually a feminist icon, and a feminist icon. Her origin is not that, I agree.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

Liri

Postby Liri » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:32 pm UTC

mcd001 wrote:
KnightExemplar wrote:Rosie the Riveter is considered one of the #1 Feminist posters of all time.

Rosie the Riveter is actually not a feminist poster. She dates back to WWII and was used to help promote and mobilize civilians to support the war effort (alongside all those "Buy War Bonds" and "Uncle Sam Wants You" posters).

If we're going to be pedantic here, Uncle Sam is from the War of 1812 and has evolved ever since.

But the point is that yes, it absolutely is a feminist symbol.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:59 pm UTC

mcd001 wrote:

If we want to get really technical, the poster in question is actually named "We Can Do It", and Rosie the Riveter is actually this lesser-known poster. "We Can Do It" was probably based on Naomi if we want to get really technical.

In any case, its a woman because WW2 factories were staffed by women at that time. All (well... at least huge numbers of) the men were in combat. So the poster became a feminist icon, despite its WW2 roots. Indeed, a lot of modern feminism has to do with the fact that women entered the work force en-masse during WW2 and began to demand equal rights.

I guess we can say that white supremacists are trying to turn it into a white-supremacy poster / icon. Or at least, they're trolling and trying to piss people off with the concept of it.

mcd001

Postby mcd001 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:17 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:If we want to get really technical, the poster in question is actually named "We Can Do It", and Rosie the Riveter is actually this lesser-known poster.

I stand corrected.

ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb

Postby ObsessoMom » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:39 pm UTC

Could we all please decide if we're talking about Berkeley or Berklee, and use the spelling that corresponds? Thanks.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:53 pm UTC

ObsessoMom wrote:Could we all please decide if we're talking about Berkeley or Berklee, and use the spelling that corresponds? Thanks.

I intended to be the California one at very least. So I guess its properly spelled Berkeley (I never noticed that... I must have been spelling that place incorrectly for years)

Return to “News & Articles”