Meteor attack in Russia

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Meteor attack in Russia

Postby Thesh » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:22 am UTC

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... f832af5015

MOSCOW (AP) — A meteor streaked across the sky above Russia's Ural Mountains on Friday morning, causing sharp explosions and reportedly injuring around 100 people, including many hurt by broken glass.

Fragments of the meteor fell in a thinly populated area of the Chelyabinsk region, the Emergency Ministry said in a statement.

Interior Ministry spokesman Vadim Kolesnikov said 102 people had called for medical assistance following the incident, mostly for treatment of injuries from glass broken by the explosions.

Kolsenikov also said about 600 square meters (6000 square feet) of a roof at a zinc factory had collapsed.

Reports conflicted on what exactly happened in the clear skies. A spokeswoman for the Emergency Ministry, Irina Rossius, told The Associated Press that there was a meteor shower, but another ministry spokeswoman, Elena Smirnikh, was quoted by the Interfax news agency as saying it was a single meteorite.

Amateur video broadcast on Russian television showed an object speeding across the sky about 9:20 a.m. local time (0320 GMT), leaving a thick white contrail and an intense flash.

Copyright © 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

dragon
"Can I have a Mountain Dew?!"

Re: Meteor attack in Russia

Postby dragon » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:08 am UTC

Context? What context?
Sandry wrote:I'm kind of feeling like it'd be a good idea to somehow position a vibrator for hands-free use, then you can legitimately DDR with your feet while knitting and it all works.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:20 am UTC

Spoiler:

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:23 am UTC

The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:06 am UTC

Whoa, I guess I never considered that a potential risk of a meteor near-miss is a glass-shattering shockwave what looks like more than 45 seconds after the object has actually passed. I'll have to keep that in mind.

One of the links Plait posted seems to show a couple of images of impact craters (I can't read Russian, so maybe that's not actually what the images are supposed to show), at least one of which looks like it might plausibly be the site of a fair sized meteorite impact. Any trustworthy word on whether this thing actually touched down somewhere?
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Grishnakh

Postby Grishnakh » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:23 am UTC

In response to this heinous attack on its people, Russia has declared war against space.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:55 am UTC

Not sure of the validity of this site, but it claims the military destroyed the object before it hit. It shows no citations and doesn't even elaborate on the news. Then again, they also report on an official saying it was a US secret arms test.

Also, this video appears to have the thing actually exploding in midair. Holy shit. Also this one.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Alder

Postby Alder » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:26 am UTC

I don't know a great deal about astronomy, but isn't that just the light from it hitting the atmosphere and starting to burn? If it exploded at that point, you'd get hundreds of broken parts shooting off in all directions, not a single piece continuing in the same trajectory. Surely?
Plasma Man wrote:I might have to get rid of some of my breadbins.

Kulantan wrote:I feel a great disturbance in the Fora, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then kinda trailed off to a grumble.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:52 am UTC

Why 'attack'? A meteor strike is not an attack. It's just a random event, like a volcano or earthquake.

Also: The military destroying it? Right. If the Russian military had that kind of technology we'd all be speaking Russian.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:09 am UTC

Alder wrote:I don't know a great deal about astronomy, but isn't that just the light from it hitting the atmosphere and starting to burn? If it exploded at that point, you'd get hundreds of broken parts shooting off in all directions, not a single piece continuing in the same trajectory. Surely?

Vectors are funny things like that. The meteor is probably travelling at several km/sec prior to breaking up; even if it were to explode from the inside somehow, the momentum added to the pieces by the explosion would probably be very small compared to its initial momentum, so the various parts would still share roughly similar trajectories at first until their various sizes impacted their trajectory further. You can see that in some of the videos - there are two clear trains almost in parallel, indicating that it broke up in the atmosphere. But yeah, I'd say it's a reasonable assumption that the bright flash is from the fact that it's burning up on entry.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:27 am UTC

Which is further indicated by a look at the trail:

(More pictures, including that off shockwave damage, here)

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:38 am UTC

Here (sorry, it's in Portuguese), it's stated:

According to Russian news, the country's Ministry of Emergency Situations informed that 514 people asked for medical assistance due to injuries, including 82 childrem. 112 of those were hospitalized.

It's one of the main news portal of Brazil, but they have the terrible habit of not linking foreign sources, so no idea where they got the numbers.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:58 am UTC

This site has a source that says 3 are in critical condition.

There are already calls to make some sort of international alert system. Makes sense, I guess. We have one for tsunamis and stuff, why not meteors?

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:34 pm UTC

Steax wrote:This site has a source that says 3 are in critical condition.

There are already calls to make some sort of international alert system. Makes sense, I guess. We have one for tsunamis and stuff, why not meteors?

But how easy/hard it really is to spot meteors of this size? Wait, does anyone have any information on the possible size of this particular space-rock?

Also: why does all the crazy stuff happen in Russia?

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Postby Xenomortis » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:39 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:Also: The military destroying it? Right. If the Russian military had that kind of technology we'd all be speaking Russian.

What makes you think Russians don't know how to build missiles they can shoot at things?

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:46 pm UTC

Xenomortis wrote:
Diadem wrote:Also: The military destroying it? Right. If the Russian military had that kind of technology we'd all be speaking Russian.

What makes you think Russians don't know how to build missiles they can shoot at things?

I guess Russia has a severe lack of Bruce Willis to properly deal with this kind of situation.

Obby

Postby Obby » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:46 pm UTC

Xenomortis wrote:

I think it might because being able to hit a relatively small target moving at several km/sec is an entirely different level of physics and trajectory calculations and adjustments than being able to hit a stationary target. But I'm not a rocket scientist... so grain of salt and all that.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

leady

Postby leady » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:56 pm UTC

hitting is quite straightforward if a bit hard. Achieving any different to a lump of rock flying at ungodly speeds is quite another

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:10 pm UTC

According to BBC:

The Russian Academy of Sciences estimates that the meteor weighed about 10 tonnes and entered the Earth's atmosphere at a speed of at least 54,000 km/h (33,000mph).

Good luck hitting this not-very-reflexive-insanely-fast son of a bitch.
Last edited by PolakoVoador on Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:04 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Postby Xenomortis » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:12 pm UTC

FWIW: Russia has functional missile defense systems.

I too think it unlikely the Russian military did shoot the missile, but for different reasons.
(and 54km/h is 15km/s; faster than ICBM's, but within an order of magnitude)

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:19 pm UTC

Meteors often blow up before they reach the ground. Please keep that in mind before the conspiracy theories. This one was already breaking up before it even got close to the ground so an explosion in midair is very likely. They get hot, very very hot, they go boom.

I'm no expert but my own ballpark guess would be that meteor was the size of a VW beetle or so.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:57 pm UTC

Xenomortis wrote:FWIW: Russia has functional missile defense systems.

I too think it unlikely the Russian military did shoot the missile, but for different reasons.
(and 54km/h is 15km/s; faster than ICBM's, but within an order of magnitude)

It said 54 thousand km/h, not 54km/h.

EDIT: Ok, I'm stupid. Of course you didn't say 54km/h, as your calculation to km/s is correct. Sorry about that.

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:20 pm UTC

Time to join up! The Mobile Infantry needs you! Remember service guarantees citizenship!
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:23 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:Why 'attack'? A meteor strike is not an attack.

A lone meteor is an attack, a strike involves multiple, coordinated meteors.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:28 pm UTC

mosc wrote:Meteors often blow up before they reach the ground. Please keep that in mind before the conspiracy theories. This one was already breaking up before it even got close to the ground so an explosion in midair is very likely. They get hot, very very hot, they go boom.

I'm no expert but my own ballpark guess would be that meteor was the size of a VW beetle or so.

We need to keep using vehicles for reference points for meteor sizes, as they warn us what kind of killer robots may be invading earth.

There are lots of really cool (while very scary) videos of various security cameras showing when the shockwave hit. Goes to show how it's not only the impact that can kill...

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:04 pm UTC

Xenomortis wrote:

Things, yes, meteors, no. Meteors go way too fast, and give way too little advance warning (assuming you don't see them coming).

There's a few seconds between a meteor becoming visible and it hitting the ground. There's simply not enough time to blow them up, considering the huge distances involved. Besides, no military on earth has missiles that go fast enough to intercept a meteor. Maybe your anti-missile battery happens to be directly below the point of impact, but even then the response time is simply too short.

Besides, if Russia has completely automated missile defense systems that can detect and fire without any human intervention (Which is likely), they are most likely turned off at the moment. Seeing as Russia is not currently at war, and the risk of false positives is way too high otherwise.

As far as I know, it's not even possible to intercept ICMBs because they go too fast. And a meteor makes those look slow.

Also, missile-defence systems look at, you know, missiles. Not meteors. The system will most certainly detect the meteor, but it won't classify it as a missile, meaning it won't trigger (unless the Russians are happy to build systems with huge numbers of false positives. Which is extremely unlikely). It might bleep out a warning for some human operator some where, but those will never respond in time.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:38 pm UTC

PolakoVoador wrote:

It's a big country.

Still, ебать seemed like an appropriate response to the shockwave.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Qaanol
The Cheshirest Catamount

Postby Qaanol » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:45 pm UTC

…once more reaffirming the importance of establishing permanent, self-sustaining colonies on other planets, around other stars, as soon as possible.
wee free kings

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:12 pm UTC

See, if this had happened over the US about 15-20 years ago, we'd have had all the money we needed for the Star Wars system.

Lasers, man. That's where its at.
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:12 pm UTC

Re: Missiles:

And then you still have the issue of blown-up meteors more or less taking the same trajectory as a not-blown-up one. It might affect the damage somewhat (the degree of which is vastly affected by the meteor's composition), but it's not going to go poof anyway.

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:39 pm UTC

Qaanol wrote:…once more reaffirming the importance of establishing permanent, self-sustaining colonies on other planets, around other stars, as soon as possible.

How's that? According to the news this is the largest recorded impact in a century, it hit a city, and the damage is mostly broken glass and people hit by that broken glass. No reported deaths, no life-threatening injuries.

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:03 pm UTC

The chance of human life going extinct from lithic precipitation is roughly on par with a particular individual winning the Powerball jackpot. On a long enough scale, it's bound to happen. But will they still be alive at that point anyway?

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:14 pm UTC

Iulus Cofield wrote:The chance of human life going extinct from lithic precipitation is roughly on par with a particular individual winning the Powerball jackpot?

On what time frame? Do we have that chance of going extinct, period, for all time? Or per year? Per day? Per second? Per Planck time?

That kind of statements are pretty meaningless anyway. We really have no idea how likely meteor impacts are. We can estimate, but the error margins are huge. And we certainly have no idea what kind of stuff we would survive, and what kind of stuff we wouldn't survive. We would, as we are now, have survived the KT-extinction event? Some would say no, others would say yet. It's impossible to know.

(I'm inclined to say 'yes' though).

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:20 pm UTC

In the time frame of from now until the earth gets consumed by the sun when it becomes a red giant. Will a comet hit us before then? Probably a decent chance. Will humanity be extinct before then? Probably a decent chance.

starslayer

Postby starslayer » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:14 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:As far as I know, it's not even possible to intercept ICMBs because they go too fast. And a meteor makes those look slow.
It's perfectly possible to intercept ICBMs and their warheads. Both Russia and the US developed those systems in the 60s and 70s. What really helps there is that you have plenty of warning of an incoming ICBM attack; missiles launched from Russia or the US take about 30 minutes to hit their targets, so everybody knows where the missiles are going and which batteries need to fire at what. Many intercept systems are designed to hit the warheads during reentry, when they're going up to a few km/s. However, it's still difficult, and achieving interception of a target going 30 km/s like the meteor was is a pipe dream at this point.

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:55 pm UTC

It's extremely difficult to intercept an ICBM during it's reentry/terminal phase.

Anti-ballistic missile systems from the 60s and 70s focused on either hitting the missiles in the mid-phase, before reentry, or were equipped with nuclear warheads to obviate the problem of actually intercepting a missile moving at tens of thousands of kph during the reentry phase.

It wasn't until relatively recently that it became computationally feasible for an interceptor missile to actually intercept a ballistic warhead during high-speed reentry, and due to various treaties and test restrictions, it's difficult to say what sort of success rate could be expected from such missiles.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:39 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:
PolakoVoador wrote:

It's a big country.

If you think all the crazy stuff happens in Russia you aren't looking at a lot of Florida, USA news.
I swear Florida has zombies but they're trying to keep it under wraps.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:11 pm UTC

Meaux_Pas wrote:
Роберт wrote:
PolakoVoador wrote:

It's a big country.

If you think all the crazy stuff happens in Russia you aren't looking at a lot of Florida, USA news.
I swear Florida has zombies but they're trying to keep it under wraps.

No, it's just Florida Man the world's worst superhero.
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

Radical_Initiator
Just Cool Enough for School

Postby Radical_Initiator » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:36 pm UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:No, it's just Florida Man the world's worst superhero.

And yet, definitely the hero Florida deserves.
I looked out across the river today …

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:51 am UTC

So far I've heard conspiracy theories that this was a US weapons test and that NASA is covering something up somehow by saying this was a coincidence and not related to 2012 DA14.

Also, the energy is estimated to be between 30 and 500 kilotons TNT and it had a mass between 7,000 and 10,000 tons.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/aster ... 30215.html

Return to “News & Articles”