Bombing at Boston Marathon Finish Line.

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Wednesday

Re: Bombing at Boston Marathon Finish Line.

Postby Wednesday » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:00 pm UTC

Holy shit, as per police feed, he's posting online. "I will kill all of you, as you killed my brother"
Sexts From The Void wrote:i struggle to maneuver on a chessboard of dicks

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:01 pm UTC

Link?
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:01 pm UTC

Wednesday wrote:Yeah. If anyone is familiar with Watertown at all, it's every kid's hide and seek dream.

Seriously, for those of you who don't know what dense quasi-urban towns around Boston look like ('cause architecture is hardly universal even in this country, never mind on a global scale), google the corner of Ash and Lowell streets in Watertown Massachusetts, USA. Zoom in on the map just far enough to get the angled view. Now pan around.

It might offer some useful perspective.
Last edited by Azrael on Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:02 pm UTC

@wednesday Never mind, just heard it on the police scanner.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:06 pm UTC

Azrael wrote:
Diadem wrote:Presumably they have the area cordoned off though.

Xenomortis wrote:No helicopters?
You've all been watching too many movies and TV shows.

Go ahead and Google "Willow St, Watertown MA" and look at the houses. Freestanding, two-family (top & bottom usually) houses on small lots. Now pretend you last saw the guy on the corner of Willow and Grove 30 minutes ago. How big of an area do you cordon off? If they guy is hunkered down in a house, which house? What if your sighting was such that by the time you can bring in a large force to cordon off the area, the person could have slipped half a mile away, outside your cordon.

This isn't the case where there's one stunt car on the highway full of stunt drivers with the movie police and helicopters already prepped.

Isn't the idea to start with a huge perimeter and move slowly inward? With a few dozen police officers they can easily cordon off an area of several square miles, if they do it along major roads where they have good vision. Then you bring more people on the scene and start moving inwards.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

gnutrino

Postby gnutrino » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:07 pm UTC

Red Hal wrote:Link?

https://twitter.com/Dzhokhar_A

No idea if this is legit but this seems to be where it's from, it look an aweful lot like a fake to me
Last edited by gnutrino on Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:11 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:07 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:Isn't the idea to start with a huge perimeter and move slowly inward? With a few dozen police officers they can easily cordon off an area of several square miles, if they do it along major roads where they have good vision. Then you bring more people on the scene and start moving inwards.

How best to put this?

No, you're talking out of your ass.

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:08 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:Isn't the idea to start with a huge perimeter and move slowly inward? With a few dozen police officers they can easily cordon off an area of several square miles, if they do it along major roads where they have good vision. Then you bring more people on the scene and start moving inwards.

Dude, are you even listening? Did you ever play manhunt as a kid? You'd need more than just a few dozen to lock down more than two square blocks.

Also, yeah, I only heard it on the feed.

keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman

Postby keozen » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:08 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:
Azrael wrote:
Diadem wrote:Presumably they have the area cordoned off though.

Xenomortis wrote:No helicopters?
You've all been watching too many movies and TV shows.

Go ahead and Google "Willow St, Watertown MA" and look at the houses. Freestanding, two-family (top & bottom usually) houses on small lots. Now pretend you last saw the guy on the corner of Willow and Grove 30 minutes ago. How big of an area do you cordon off? If they guy is hunkered down in a house, which house? What if your sighting was such that by the time you can bring in a large force to cordon off the area, the person could have slipped half a mile away, outside your cordon.

This isn't the case where there's one stunt car on the highway full of stunt drivers with the movie police and helicopters already prepped.

Isn't the idea to start with a huge perimeter and move slowly inward? With a few dozen police officers they can easily cordon off an area of several square miles, if they do it along major roads where they have good vision. Then you bring more people on the scene and start moving inwards.

Up until the last hour or two the search has been in the dark. You can't sufficiently search such a complex (i.e. loads of trees, fences, sheds, houses, a million places to hide) area in such conditions. You can't even do so with searchlights as they tell your suspect EXACTLY where you are.

Puppyclaws

Postby Puppyclaws » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:09 pm UTC

Belial wrote:
Puppyclaws wrote:
Red Hal wrote:Scanner update, expect a "detonation" in the Charlestown area. They keep mentioning School Street.

...hmm. I was not aware of this. I was just out on School Street a moment ago... I didn't realize anything was really going on over here at all. Back to staying inside, I guess.

Keep in mind there are like eight school streets. The school street they're likely talking about is the one in Watertown/Belmont.

I was assuming it was School Street in Charlestown based on what was said above.

Anyway. Now the entire city of Boston being ordered to stay inside. BPD asking residents not to report on the location of police activities.

firechicago
Location: One time, I put a snowglobe in the microwave and pushed "Hot Dog"

Postby firechicago » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:13 pm UTC

Which would work wonderfully if the suspect stayed on major roads and never did anything unsporting like crossing through people's backyards or using small side streets (which is to say, all of the streets in the area in question).

Not to mention that hanging out in the middle of a main road where you have a good view in either direction is a great way to get yourself shot by an armed and dangerous suspect.

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:15 pm UTC

From http://www.buzzfeed.com/chrisgeidner/what-we-know-about-boston-marathon-bomb-suspect-dzhokhar-tsa,
NBC News' Pete Williams said earlier Friday morning that the two suspects likely had "foreign military training," and had been in the country for about a year.

Okay, cool.
Born July 22, 1993, according to Williams, Tsarnaev attended Cambridge Rindge and Latin School, has a Massachusetts drivers' license and has been in the country for around a decade.

....no, most people do not receive foreign military training before the age of 9, or while in this country.

I suggest listening to police feeds instead of watching or reading news, they're clearly idiots.

Edit: the scanner feed I'm using is having some trouble, I guess 155,613 listeners is more than they're great at handling.
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/ma-rt-9-window-cam seems reliable.
Last edited by Wednesday on Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:23 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:22 pm UTC

But how are we supposed to other him if he's like one of us?

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:23 pm UTC

Puppyclaws, apologies if I caused you distress.

Yeah, you need at least four cops on every intersection to keep eyes on every street, then you need the ones to do the searches. Even maintaining a 2 block cordon can take hundreds of personnel.

Also: https://twitter.com/falonland/status/325219648306032642/photo/1

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:29 pm UTC

So CNN was doing an interview of the suspects' uncle. They asked him where his brother lived, so that they could go interview him. Then they aired the guy saying the address. That is not a very smart move.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman

Postby keozen » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:29 pm UTC

Live streaming police scanners are going down right, left and centre. Looks like the police are shutting them down to stop Whitehat getting any info.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:32 pm UTC

The one I posted is still live.

keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman

Postby keozen » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:34 pm UTC

Red Hal wrote:The one I posted is still live.

Yeah, I'm on that one now.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:35 pm UTC

keozen wrote:

Up until the last hour or two the search has been in the dark. You can't sufficiently search such a complex (i.e. loads of trees, fences, sheds, houses, a million places to hide) area in such conditions. You can't even do so with searchlights as they tell your suspect EXACTLY where you are.

Hmm, I had forgotten it was night over there. I can see how that complicates things a lot.

But I wasn't talking about searching. I was talking about cordoning off an area. What I can see on google maps the area has a few main streets that are straight and broad. Station people along those and you're no closer to finding the suspect, but you can make sure he can't leave the area without being spotted. But I can see how that won't work during the night, you'd need too many people.

edit: And just to be clear here: I'm not trying to argue that I know better than the Boston police. Of course not. I'm merely trying to understand why this is so difficult. I'm not saying "they should do x" but wondering "Why can't do they x?".
Last edited by Diadem on Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:42 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:36 pm UTC

Looks like reddit posted the link, listeners have jumped from around 4k to over 30k in the last 5 minutes. Expect it to go down soon.

Kethryes

Postby Kethryes » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:38 pm UTC

The twitter post "I will kill all of you, as you killed my brother" Is a fake
fake account https://twitter.com/Dzhokhar_A
Real one https://twitter.com/Dzhokhar_

I hope they also catch the asshole who made up that account and explain him how it is not funny.

*Hug*
Be safe everyone.
J Thomas wrote:From the evidence I have seen it looks utterly foolish to think it's ridiculous to doubt you are right.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:46 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:But I wasn't talking about searching. I was talking about cordoning off an area. What I can see on google maps the area has a few main streets that are straight and broad. Station people along those and you're no closer to finding the suspect, but you can make sure he can't leave the area without being spotted. But I can see how that won't work during the night, you'd need too many people.

If you know where he is, and can get enough people in place quickly enough that he can't move slightly outside the zone. Knowing where is his is the outcome of the search; be careful that you haven't assumed the outcome as an initial condition.

So after you have an area, and you believe the person is inside it and that you have it's borders well controlled, then you have to start searching. That goes house by house with a large number of officers. That's what they're doing right now. And all of this takes a long time when you're doing it safely -- trying not to get shot, blown up or have the same occur to the people living in the area.

And at the end? The person may not have been in the area, or they may have slipped out. Again, this isn't a movie. Real life is complex.

liveboy21

Postby liveboy21 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:53 pm UTC

If that twitter feed you linked to is real, I wonder if the retweet about guns being legal while french cheeses are illegal in america is relevent to this.

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:54 pm UTC

liveboy21 wrote:If that twitter feed you linked to is real, I wonder if the retweet about guns being legal while french cheeses are illegal in america is relevent to this.

Who are you referring to? To what feed are you referring to? To what tweet are you referring to?

Edit: quality on feed is terrible, but commenters in chat are saying they caught him/are chasing a grey/silver CRV through 95 north?
Last edited by Wednesday on Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:58 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman

Postby keozen » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:58 pm UTC

liveboy21 wrote:If that twitter feed you linked to is real, I wonder if the retweet about guns being legal while french cheeses are illegal in america is relevent to this.

He's damn serious about his cheeses.

The guy who is doing the Reddit updating just updated saying the police are now looking for MULTIPLE suspects. I don't know where that came from though as I've been off at the post room.

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:01 pm UTC

As per George Takei, "CORRECTED POST: Police ARE looking for a gray Honda CRV, perhaps now in Connecticut, in which suspect may have fled. MA tags 316 ES9. Tips call 1-800-CALL-FBI."

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:05 pm UTC

liveboy21

Postby liveboy21 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:09 pm UTC

Sorry Wednesday, I was referring to the real account of Dzhokhar. Most of the posts are about football but some are about gun control.

Kethryes wrote:The twitter post "I will kill all of you, as you killed my brother" Is a fake
fake account https://twitter.com/Dzhokhar_A
Real one https://twitter.com/Dzhokhar_

I hope they also catch the asshole who made up that account and explain him how it is not funny.

*Hug*
Be safe everyone.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:11 pm UTC

This is downright terrifying. I'm not sure I could imagine something scarier than this happening in my city. It also horrifies me that more lives are being lost... I really hope it all ends soon.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

zombie_monkey

Postby zombie_monkey » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:12 pm UTC

I think liveboy means this tweet he retweeted: https://twitter.com/ambercocolon/status ... 3287354368

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:14 pm UTC

Gonna go with "yes" in that the dude who wrote it is the dude who bombed us. Other than that, no, that's speculation and completely irrelevant, the dude isn't even using guns, he's *bombing* things.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:17 pm UTC

Train containing "possible accomplice" stopped in Connecticut. Source LiveWire

roband

Postby roband » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:20 pm UTC

This whole thing has gone to another level of "unreal".

How well are police trained for things like this?

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:25 pm UTC

All the cops I'm hearing on the scanner sound relatively calm, which says to me that they're pretty well within the limits of their training.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:26 pm UTC

What I'm hearing on the scanner is that the Command Post is taking delivery of a consignment of furniture. Doesn't sound like they're panicked to me.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:30 pm UTC

roband wrote:This whole thing has gone to another level of "unreal".

How well are police trained for things like this?

I'm probably wrong but I would think the main actors would be SWAT, which are like the elite police force. SWAT officers are selected from police volunteers and they get some serious training and serious equipment.

Heisenberg

Postby Heisenberg » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:32 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:edit: And just to be clear here: I'm not trying to argue that I know better than the Boston police. Of course not. I'm merely trying to understand why this is so difficult. I'm not saying "they should do x" but wondering "Why can't do they x?".

Trapping him may not be as desirable as keeping him moving. For instance, if you know he's in a 2 square mile area, but that includes several elementary schools, you may want to keep pursuing him until he's putting fewer people in danger.

I am also not a cop, I'm just trying to explain one of I'm sure many reasons why they might not trap the suspect.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:38 pm UTC

The BBC has a profile up of the suspects.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22219116
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

TheGrammarBolshevik
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:40 pm UTC

MIT: Not prestigious.
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:42 pm UTC

Someone's on cuffs on the ground with a "device" with a "transmitter" on him. Whoa.

Edit: this guy is apparently 60-70 years old and has salt and pepper hair. Huh, another person trying to kill us. Yay.

Return to “News & Articles”