Bombing at Boston Marathon Finish Line.

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: Bombing at Boston Marathon Finish Line.

Postby Angua » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:44 pm UTC

I hope it's him. It's good that they've got him alive.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:45 pm UTC

Uh...it isn't the "second suspect" they've been chasing, that kid is 19.
Sexts From The Void wrote:i struggle to maneuver on a chessboard of dicks

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:46 pm UTC

:(

I'm having a hard time keeping track as am also listening to my lectures live over the internet too.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

TheGrammarBolshevik
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:48 pm UTC

Kethryes wrote:The twitter post "I will kill all of you, as you killed my brother" Is a fake
fake account https://twitter.com/Dzhokhar_A
Real one https://twitter.com/Dzhokhar_

Both twitter accounts are fake. http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/2013/ ... count.html
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

liveboy21

Postby liveboy21 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:49 pm UTC

TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:
Kethryes wrote:The twitter post "I will kill all of you, as you killed my brother" Is a fake

Both twitter accounts are fake. http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/2013/ ... count.html

Ouch, he got me with that one, well played.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:50 pm UTC

Wednesday wrote:Someone's on cuffs on the ground with a "device" with a "transmitter" on him. Whoa.

Edit: this guy is apparently 60-70 years old and has salt and pepper hair. Huh, another person trying to kill us. Yay.

How many of these guys are there?
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

MisterCheif

Postby MisterCheif » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:53 pm UTC

Wednesday wrote:Someone's on cuffs on the ground with a "device" with a "transmitter" on him. Whoa.

Edit: this guy is apparently 60-70 years old and has salt and pepper hair. Huh, another person trying to kill us. Yay.

And now trying to arch his back, maybe to get off a dead-man's trigger. :-(

And now 54k people watching the feed and rising.
I can haz people?
lulzfish wrote:Exactly. Playing God is a good, old-fashioned American tradition. And you wouldn't want to ruin tradition. Unless you hate America. And that would make you a Communist.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:53 pm UTC

He's not the suspect they're looking for.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

Arrian

Postby Arrian » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:56 pm UTC

roband wrote:This whole thing has gone to another level of "unreal".

How well are police trained for things like this?

This is a manhunt and manhunts are a police thing. This is the kind of situation police have worked with since forever (minus the bombs, probably, but I'm sure that training has included them since 9/11.)

That's not to say it's easy or not scary as hell, but yeah, it should be well within their training and their leaders' experience.

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:56 pm UTC

How many "guys"? There are hundreds of police, special forces, FBI, DOHS, and others. How many suspects? Two, one of whom died this morning after a shootout with the police, where he sustained fatal injuries. Now, there's a random old dude who appears to have a detonator in his hand, and is wearing a suicide vest. No clue where he came from, but he's in cuffs.

roband

Postby roband » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:03 pm UTC

Not sure if this has been mentioned already but apparently a car of 4 Russians was stopped in Niagra with 'suspicious packages'.

Supposedly the car had Boston plates and people are hypothesising that it's related.

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:04 pm UTC

Those people are either stupid or behind, because that vehicle was cleared as unrelated over an hour ago.

As well, there's no such thing as "Boston plates", only state, and Russian != Chechnyan.

roband

Postby roband » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:07 pm UTC

I may have read it a while ago - I'm working and trying to keep updated at the same time.

And yeah, I paraphrased "Boston plates", my bad.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:21 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:you can make sure he can't leave the area without being spotted.
How are you supposed to make sure he can't leave without being spotted when you've only posted people along main roads? Is he driving a large truck and obeying "no trucks" signs on side streets? Does he respect private property laws enough to avoid going through people's back yards? Is he marked on police GPS with a red circle, like in a video game?
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:42 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Is he marked on police GPS with a red circle, like in a video game?

Didn't you see the google maps? All they have to do is check all the "possible suspect" waypoints!

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:42 pm UTC

It's beginning to look like they are Muslims, which is sad. The uncle seems pretty upset about it.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Kethryes

Postby Kethryes » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:45 pm UTC

TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:

Yay multiple assholes :x
I'm not a Twitter user... I didn't knew you could change your account name like that. :? (And with old tweets it looked legit). Didn't knew you could delete you tweets either (But not as weird as the name changing)

TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:MIT: Not prestigious.

Didn't understood your comment. Read the article linked before... I loled :lol:
J Thomas wrote:From the evidence I have seen it looks utterly foolish to think it's ridiculous to doubt you are right.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:58 pm UTC

But they are Caucasian. So, maybe we won't have Sikhs murdered for looking too much like the bombers?

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:00 pm UTC

Technically Caucasian, in the sense of the actual region they come from, but still a bit ethnicky looking, so I'm sure racist Americans will have no problem painting with the same broad anti-brown-people brush they usually do.

Plus, there's still the usual Muslim therefore Arab therefore brown and bearded and turbaned therefore this Sikh before me is likely a trrist.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Brace

Postby Brace » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:02 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:But they are Caucasian. So, maybe we won't have Sikhs murdered for looking too much like the bombers?

The trouble is that the sort of people to attack random ethnic-looking people based on a pure guess aren't liable to look at the actual pictures of the bombers before going and committing assaults. They're just going to hear from word-of-mouth that "it was arabs", or whatever, from one of the majority of people in this country who don't know that arab and muslim aren't the same thing, or they're going to hear "muslim" and assume ethnicity on their own.
"The future is the only kind of property that the masters willingly concede to the slaves" - Albert Camus

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:05 pm UTC

I think that Muslims have had so much hate put at them already that just being associated with these bombers, even if they don't look how the racists might expect, is still going to make life worse for them.
GNU Terry Pratchett

WyldStallyns

Postby WyldStallyns » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:19 pm UTC

Not sure if its been posted yet, but this guy on Reddit is posting news he's getting from a police scanner and possibly other sources: http://www.reddit.com/r/news/comments/1 ... fficial_4/

I know some guy on Reddit isnt the most credible source, but honestly, the major news sites have been saying alot of things that are just rumors. This guy seems to be trying his best to convey true information.
"I give the Internet credit for everything good that has happened since 1969." - Bob Metcalfe, inventor of Ethernet.

TheGrammarBolshevik

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:33 pm UTC

CNN is reporting that this twitter is real: https://twitter.com/J_tsar/

Of course, CNN has been known to fuck things up, but at least this one doesn't look like it was made just to look like the guy.
Not even sporange.

Arrian

Postby Arrian » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:35 pm UTC

WCVB television reporters are requesting to bring bullet proof vests and helmets to a news conference? Are they going to try to make it look like they're reporting from a combat zone/gunfight?

Fire Brns

Postby Fire Brns » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:39 pm UTC

I'll admit when I'm wrong, at least the bombers looked to have an engineering degree. So they did have the skill to do so correctly.

Arrian wrote:WCVB television reporters are requesting to bring bullet proof vests and helmets to a news conference? Are they going to try to make it look like they're reporting from a combat zone/gunfight?
Like this?
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.

WyldStallyns

Postby WyldStallyns » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:39 pm UTC

Arrian wrote:WCVB television reporters are requesting to bring bullet proof vests and helmets to a news conference? Are they going to try to make it look like they're reporting from a combat zone/gunfight?

Seems like its for security. I doubt anyone would start shooting at a press conference, but you never know. Stranger things have been happening. I highly doubt a news network would be trying to make it look like a combat zone though, what would be the point?
"I give the Internet credit for everything good that has happened since 1969." - Bob Metcalfe, inventor of Ethernet.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:56 pm UTC

Just so everyone knows, this has probably been covered: Charlestown is on the opposite side of Boston as Watertown. Charlesgate is in the vicinity of Watertown.

I didn't go to work today, I'm too freaked out. I am one of few though, my office didn't close or anything. Even though we're on the line in the corners of Somerville/Cambridge/Boston. Fucking A.
*I have to correct that it turns out there were a ton of people who didn't go in. And the office closed like 2.5 hours earlier.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:24 pm UTC

WyldStallyns wrote:Not sure if its been posted yet, but this guy on Reddit is posting news he's getting from a police scanner and possibly other sources: http://www.reddit.com/r/news/comments/1 ... fficial_4/

I know some guy on Reddit isnt the most credible source, but honestly, the major news sites have been saying alot of things that are just rumors. This guy seems to be trying his best to convey true information.

Recently Reddit has been rather helpful during crisis events for getting timelines of information and news from police scanners.

firechicago
Location: One time, I put a snowglobe in the microwave and pushed "Hot Dog"

Postby firechicago » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:30 pm UTC

Weird coincidence that I'm not sure anyone else has picked up on: different sources have linked both Suspect #1 (Tamerlan Tsarnaev, the one who was killed in a gunfight with police last night) and Sean Collier, the MIT police officer who was killed, to the Somerville Boxing Club. (Source for Collier. Source for Tsarnaev.)

Don't think it means anything, just weird to see how small a world Boston can be.

TheGrammarBolshevik

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:32 pm UTC

From what I understand (from people chatting on reddit this afternoon), amateur boxing is a big deal in and around Lowell, Mass.
Not even sporange.

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:35 pm UTC

Boston is suuuuuuper teeny tiny. Like, five square miles of city tiny. Is small. It gets smaller and smaller the more popular your hobby is. Like TGB said, amateur boxing is a HUGE deal in Lowell.

firechicago
Location: One time, I put a snowglobe in the microwave and pushed "Hot Dog"

Postby firechicago » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:39 pm UTC

Yeah, just odd that I live in somerville and hadn't ever heard of the boxing club until it popped up twice in the coverage of recent events.

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:46 pm UTC

Eh, you kind of have to be interested to know about it. Also, read: Lowell, not Boston or Somerville. I'm pretty sure you probably haven't heard of the 400+ attendee firespinning events I go to during the summer, despite there being huge burner and spinner scenes in the area. (I am uncomfortable with how hipster that made me sound.)

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:07 pm UTC

Just guzzle PBR until the feeling goes away.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

Darryl

Postby Darryl » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:24 pm UTC

Princess Marzipan wrote:Just guzzle PBR until the feeling goes away.

OT, but ewwww PBR. If you're going to guzzle cheap beer at least upgrade to Molson or Miller.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:26 pm UTC

If it got a ribbon in Chicago, it's not all bad.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Postby bluebambue » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:31 pm UTC

I found this to be an easy to read summary of what happened so far since Monday:
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013 ... .html?_r=0
The picture with the map is especially helpful to me as I have no sense of Boston geography.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:41 pm UTC

firechicago wrote:Weird coincidence that I'm not sure anyone else has picked up on: different sources have linked both Suspect #1 (Tamerlan Tsarnaev, the one who was killed in a gunfight with police last night) and Sean Collier, the MIT police officer who was killed, to the Somerville Boxing Club. (Source for Collier. Source for Tsarnaev.)

Don't think it means anything, just weird to see how small a world Boston can be.

Once my roommate invited me to a party that turned out to be at my sister's house. I brought another friend and his roommate was there, too.
It's a little place.
We'll probably see each other at a party eventually.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

TheGrammarBolshevik

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:53 pm UTC

Darryl wrote:upgrade to ... Miller.

Not even sporange.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:56 pm UTC

Fantastic Idea wrote:
firechicago wrote:Weird coincidence that I'm not sure anyone else has picked up on: different sources have linked both Suspect #1 (Tamerlan Tsarnaev, the one who was killed in a gunfight with police last night) and Sean Collier, the MIT police officer who was killed, to the Somerville Boxing Club. (Source for Collier. Source for Tsarnaev.)

Once my roommate invited me to a party that turned out to be at my sister's house. I brought another friend and his roommate was there, too.
It's a little place.
We'll probably see each other at a party eventually.

That was a weird night. Though, to be fair, my roommate shows up goddamn everywhere.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Return to “News & Articles”