Bombing at Boston Marathon Finish Line.

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Puppyclaws

Re: Bombing at Boston Marathon Finish Line.

Postby Puppyclaws » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:25 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I know this is somewhat cliche, and I apologize for that, but I saw this quote by Fred Rogers and it resonated;

"When I was a boy and saw something scary in the news, my mother would say to look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping."

There's a blood drive at Brandeis tomorrow that runs for three days.

I like the spirit of the Fred Rogers quote, though it doesn't seem to be calming my nerves much in regard to this attack.

I am happy for people to donate blood any time, but the Red Cross has said that they do not need specifically need blood donors at this time, that they already have enough blood on the shelves to deal with this situation.

keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman

Postby keozen » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:34 pm UTC

Giving blood is always a good thing and very helpful. In situations such as this if you would like to donate may I suggest you do so later this week or early next week though. Disasters always see a wave of donations at the beginning but that wave tails off pretty quickly and they will likely still need extra resource over the coming month.

And, as I say, donating blood is always a good thing if you are able.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:37 pm UTC

If it was for publicity, why haven't any groups taken credit for it yet?

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:01 pm UTC

Puppyclaws wrote:I am happy for people to donate blood any time, but the Red Cross has said that they do not need specifically need blood donors at this time, that they already have enough blood on the shelves to deal with this situation.

This may be the first time in the history of all universes ever that the red cross has said they have enough blood.

I worry about the lack of attributing claims. It suggests that it might happen again (in the mind of someone who has seen too many forensic dramas).

sardia

Postby sardia » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

Sheikh al-Majaneen wrote:
Puppyclaws wrote:I am happy for people to donate blood any time, but the Red Cross has said that they do not need specifically need blood donors at this time, that they already have enough blood on the shelves to deal with this situation.

This may be the first time in the history of all universes ever that the red cross has said they have enough blood.

It happens in every disaster, mostly because blood has a limited shelf life. They need a steady stream of blood, not the big spikes that happen occasionally. Now if we had a steady stream of disasters, we could solve our blood shortage overall.

Heisenberg

Postby Heisenberg » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:05 pm UTC

I'm glad the xkcd-ers are alive and well. I'm also glad that so few people were killed, which I attribute at least in part to the police and medical teams already on scene to deal with the event. It's great that so many people were able to get immediate attention.

According to NPR, most of the information about extra bombs and suspects in custody is false. Get ready for more rumormongering by the major media outlets who are trying to fill 24 hours of programming with 30 seconds worth of information. :?

keozen wrote:In situations such as this if you would like to donate may I suggest you do so later this week or early next week though.
I want to second this. If you think about it, Boston hospitals were able to help yesterday because people said "Gee, I'm going to donate blood" without knowing what was going to happen.

So if you want to do something that will help out next week, go donate blood, wherever you are.

Fire Brns

Postby Fire Brns » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:15 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:I dunno. It LOOKS like there's a shock wave going out in the video. IE, the device went supersonic like a proper explosive. There's also not a ton of smoke/byproduct, like you'd expect from a really crude device. Blackpowder produces billowing clouds and doesn't go supersonic, generally. Your stock fertilizer bomb produces a nitric acid cloud. In other words, they're calling the bombs crude, but from what little information I have, I don't know that they actually are. Putting a shearing device at foot level might actually be intentional...ie, he might have been explicitly going for crippling as many people as possible.

Dunno if that's more or less horrifying than someone going for a body count, but incompetent as a bombmaker isn't necessarily the case. He may have been going for exactly this.
Fair enough, crude is a relative term. Personally though from all the bombing accounts I have dug through in the past I don't generally consider a bomb that "successful" unless it kills around 15 people. Authorities are saying the devices were in trash cans, it's more likely they were close to the ground by being pushed down by trash or to remain hidden; trying to make a device specifically for maiming and not murder seems immensely more difficult.
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.

Shepherdess

Postby Shepherdess » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:33 pm UTC

The fact that no one has taken credit makes me think it's a "lone wolf" or whatever they called it. A group can take credit for something because you can't really arrest a group name, but a single person can hardly say "I did it!" and not expect to be arrested.
Dear Blitzgirl,

I don't know if you got my previous message and I just missed your reply, but I got tired of reading the same message so I decided it was time for a new one.

Your Eternal Servant And Companion Through Time,
Dame Not-Bob
Temporal Defender Of The One True Comic

Chen

Postby Chen » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:36 pm UTC

Heisenberg wrote:According to NPR, most of the information about extra bombs and suspects in custody is false. Get ready for more rumormongering by the major media outlets who are trying to fill 24 hours of programming with 30 seconds worth of information. :?

Yeah most news outlets seem to be echoing the fact that there were only 2 bombs and no un-exploded bombs were found. Gotta love that fact checking :roll:

Shepherdess

Postby Shepherdess » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:38 pm UTC

Chen wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:According to NPR, most of the information about extra bombs and suspects in custody is false. Get ready for more rumormongering by the major media outlets who are trying to fill 24 hours of programming with 30 seconds worth of information. :?

Yeah most news outlets seem to be echoing the fact that there were only 2 bombs and no un-exploded bombs were found. Gotta love that fact checking :roll:

Wait a minute, didn't officials of Boston confirm that there were two controlled detonations of two unexploded bombs?
Dear Blitzgirl,

I don't know if you got my previous message and I just missed your reply, but I got tired of reading the same message so I decided it was time for a new one.

Dame Not-Bob

Heisenberg

Postby Heisenberg » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:54 pm UTC

NPR: Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick said that all parcels left at the scene have now been examined and no additional bombs were found.

Better link.
Last edited by Heisenberg on Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:57 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:54 pm UTC

Shepherdess wrote:Wait a minute, didn't officials of Boston confirm that there were two controlled detonations of two unexploded bombs?

They have confirmed that they have been controlled detonations of things, not that they were bombs.

As best I can tell from local media reports, and hearing his phone interview live yesterday, US Rep. Bill Keating is the source cited as saying there were definitely two other devices (he claimed one at a hotel, and one at an undisclosed location). He said this in an interview not 5 minutes after BPD Commissioner Davis denied it at the 5:00 EST press conference. This morning's FBI briefing seems to have finally settled the matter.

In other news, US Representatives -- regardless of sitting on the House Homeland Security Committee -- are not reliable sources.

Shepherdess

Postby Shepherdess » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:03 pm UTC

Azrael wrote:
In other news, US Representatives -- regardless of sitting on the House Homeland Security Committee -- are not reliable sources.

Were they ever?

Where were the bombs placed? Not location, exactly, but what were they hidden in? I heard someone mention a trashcan?
Dear Blitzgirl,

Dame Not-Bob

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:30 pm UTC

Shepherdess wrote:Where were the bombs placed? Not location, exactly, but what were they hidden in? I heard someone mention a trashcan?

One eyewitness reported seeing a trashcan explode. But he also claimed to be only 10' away, which seems close enough to be injured? A runner near the same location reported three explosions.

In other things that aren't news, eyewitnesses are incredibly unreliable.

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:44 pm UTC

This isn't all that uncommon. Recently here in Brazil we had a terrible tragedy, where 241 people died in a nightclub fire, and lots of injured. The hospitals where asking: "Please, DO NOT come today to donate blood. We have enough blood, and too much people flocking here will only increase the utter confusion we already have."

ivnja
The spirit of things can bugger right off.

Postby ivnja » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:44 pm UTC

Azrael wrote:
Shepherdess wrote:Where were the bombs placed? Not location, exactly, but what were they hidden in? I heard someone mention a trashcan?

One eyewitness reported seeing a trashcan explode. But he also claimed to be only 10' away, which seems close enough to be injured? A runner near the same location reported three explosions.

In other things that aren't news, eyewitnesses are incredibly unreliable.

If the eyewitness in question was the doctor in the crowd whose quotes I've seen in a few major news network stories, he mentioned in one that he'd been shielded from the blast by 5 or so people. He also said that he was right near a man whose legs were blown off, presumably the poor guy in the wheelchair in the photos.
Hi you.
she/her

Decker

Postby Decker » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:30 pm UTC

PolakoVoador wrote:

This isn't all that uncommon. Recently here in Brazil we had a terrible tragedy, where 241 people died in a nightclub fire, and lots of injured. The hospitals where asking: "Please, DO NOT come today to donate blood. We have enough blood, and too much people flocking here will only increase the utter confusion we already have."

Not to mention the fact that, from what I heard, blood does not have a long shelf life. Any blood that they get and they can't use right now will likely get thrown away.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

CasualSax

Postby CasualSax » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:44 pm UTC

New AP release: "Person briefed on probe: Boston explosives made of pressure cookers with metal, ball bearings."

What was last week's whatif? I think I'm going to be sick.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/ ... story.html

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:00 pm UTC

A CBS article indicated a timer and low explosives (posting from phone, so no link). So it was likely something like gun powder or possibly a fuel based explosive, maybe a fertilizer bomb (although I believe those require high explosives to detonate, I may be wrong since I'm not exactly an expert).
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Shepherdess

Postby Shepherdess » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:07 pm UTC

CasualSax wrote:New AP release: "Person briefed on probe: Boston explosives made of pressure cookers with metal, ball bearings."

What was last week's whatif? I think I'm going to be sick.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/ ... story.html

Funny Aneurysm moment. :( So, did they just make the bomb in a pressure cooker, or was the bomb actually a pressure cooker with stuff in it?
Dear Blitzgirl,

Dame Not-Bob

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:12 pm UTC

Also, in weird coincidences, there was also this article from yesterday:

http://m.washingtonpost.com/national/ho ... story.html
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:26 pm UTC

Fire Brns wrote:
Fantastic Idea wrote:Your sentence structure is misleading. You should work on not presenting your opinions as facts so much.

I didn't think I had, they were simple observations.
And being educated is one thing but having hands on experience is another. With concern to the al-queda bomb manual, how many people have successfully cooked a obscure dish after looking up a recipe online? It takes a few tries to get it right.

I don't understand your statement. Do you think that foreign terrorists are the only people who make bombs? Did you see my earlier post containing links to domestic bombers? Once again, you are presenting your opinions as facts. Observations by you personally = anecdotal data. You don't know how well I can make an obscure dish I looked up on the internet (or, in my world, one of my cookbooks. This is a basic and traditional way of learning how to cook things, and lots of people get their recipes right the first time. It's amazing.)

Basically it's kindof driving me nuts that people are so unaware of the fact that Americans make bombs! Americans terrorize each other! Safety is not guaranteed and it's ignorant to think that Americans don't know how to build or use bombs. They need to be taught by the brown people, and not Uncle Jerry, in the barn?
Fire Brns wrote:Fair enough, crude is a relative term. Personally though from all the bombing accounts I have dug through in the past I don't generally consider a bomb that "successful" unless it kills around 15 people. Authorities are saying the devices were in trash cans, it's more likely they were close to the ground by being pushed down by trash or to remain hidden; trying to make a device specifically for maiming and not murder seems immensely more difficult.

Now this does interest me. You don't consider a bomb successful unless it kills around 15 people. Where did that number come from? Did you just arbitrarily decide on it? Is this a standard for some kind of record keeping for the AP or DHS or something? If not, then I'm glad we are establishing what you think words mean.

The point of terrorism isn't just to cause damage. It's to cause fear. That's why it's called that. If you've got two bombs that detonate, a great many of us, myself included, are going to stand very still and wait for the next bomb. Some of us just keep waiting with our systems on high alert.
How many people does the bomb have to terrify and keep indoors for you to consider it successful? How many businesses destroyed?

An incendiary bomb goes off in an abortion clinic early in the morning and nobody is around, do the women with appointments still show up that day?

Uh also I'm guessing the bombs were pressure cookers, not made in pressure cookers because I've never heard of a bomb needing to be slow cooked before detonating. Seems like a bad idea.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

Shepherdess

Postby Shepherdess » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:37 pm UTC

I know very, very little about building bombs, so...my ignorant logic is that people use pressure cookers to seal cans and jars, I figured they could use one to seal the bomb together.

So they deposited pressure cookers at the site, and then those exploded? Don't they have to be plugged in?
Dear Blitzgirl,

Dame Not-Bob

Shepherdess

Postby Shepherdess » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:42 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It's a pot with a lid that locks, so... no?

I'm confused. When they said the bombs were pressure cookers, I assumed that they were hot pressure cookers, and the heated air inside (which is dangerous enough) ignited whatever it was in it, triggering the explosions. Where the pressure cookers just cases and the explosives were triggered by something else (like a cellphone)?

EDIT: Ack. As for the plugging in comment, I got pressure cooker confused with slow cooker/crockpot.
Last edited by Shepherdess on Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:44 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Dear Blitzgirl,

Dame Not-Bob

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:43 pm UTC

Shepherdess wrote:

I'm confused. When they said the bombs were pressure cookers, I assumed that they were hot pressure cookers, and the heated air inside (which is dangerous enough) ignited whatever it was in it, triggering the explosions. Where the pressure cookers just cases and the explosives were triggered by something else (like a cellphone)?

They were normal, timed detonations, according the latest theories I've read. And yes, the theory is the pressure cookers were the "cases".
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:44 pm UTC

Same idea as a pipe bomb, just a much larger pipe.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:49 pm UTC

Shepherdess wrote:

EDIT: Ack. As for the plugging in comment, I got pressure cooker confused with slow cooker/crockpot.

I did this same thing. Brain parsed as crockpot. I own a crock pot and not a pressure cooker so I blame that.

sociotard

Postby sociotard » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:52 pm UTC

Shepherdess wrote:

It looks like the cookers were just cases, yes.

Heisenberg

Postby Heisenberg » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:52 pm UTC

Didn't any of you read the "What if?"
The pressure inside a consumer cooker doesn’t go above about two atmospheres—about the pressure inside a can of soda.

So if there were things that were once pressure cookers, they'd have to be modified to make a bomb. The fact that the two bombs went off in quick succession also makes me doubt that these were pipe bombs, which my (very limited) knowledge tells me are hard to time. More likely an electronic timer or signal.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:09 pm UTC

Ahem. I apparently nestled this warning into a post a page or so back where no one saw it, so let me repeat:

Picking fights with another forumite (who shall remain nameless and yet clearly indicated) over shit they said in a different thread, as part of a line of discussion that was explicitly shut down by moderator action, is pretty clearly a shitty, pointless direction to take this thread.

Taking this thread in that shitty, pointless direction will not be tolerated.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

omgryebread

Postby omgryebread » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:12 pm UTC

Pressure cookers have been used for bombs for a while now. Offhand I can think of a failed attack in New Dehli back in 2010. The bomb was built in a pressure cooker but the timer failed. The car it was in ended up catching fire rather than exploding. Like Mighty Jalepeno said, they're basically pipe bombs. You have a low explosive sealed up. The seal means that you have a rapid buildup in pressure, which makes the explosion more powerful than if the weak explosive inside was on it's own. You can also throw in some shrapnel. A simple electrical detonator with a timer or a cellphone can set it off. Pipe bombs are easy. You don't need fancy skills or bomb-making knowledge. A death row inmate once killed himself, intentionally, making a pipe bomb with the leg of his cot, a broom, a deck of cards, water, and a heater.

The flip side is that they are notoriously risky for the bomber. It's really easy to set off the explosive while you make one and they aren't exactly reliable. They also are still low explosives and don't produce a shock wave, so the damage to structures is minimal. Pipe bombs have probably killed more bombers than targets.
avatar from Nononono by Lynn Okamoto.

Shepherdess

Postby Shepherdess » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:16 pm UTC

Didn't these bombs produce shockwaves though?
Dear Blitzgirl,

Dame Not-Bob

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:18 pm UTC

Doesn't every bomb produce a shockwave of some size? Isn't it just that the smaller ones aren't as noticable?

I watch a lot of Mythbusters. The high-speed cameras seem to catch shockwaves in just about every explosion.

Everything I know I learned from tv.

saintdev

Postby saintdev » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:20 pm UTC

Am I the only one that thought of "What if? #40 - Pressure Cooker" when I saw the headline about pressure cookers?

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:25 pm UTC

Anything that releases a bunch of energy at once is going to create a pressure wave. High explosives create true "shock waves" (blast waves) but low explosives don't.
Sexts From The Void wrote:i struggle to maneuver on a chessboard of dicks

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:27 pm UTC

Hence the use of pipe bombs / pressure cookers. They 'don't get much above two atmospheres' because there's a bleeder valve on the pressure cooker. That releases pressure slowly and steadily as it rises (slowly and steadily) on top of the stove. If, say, an explosion went off inside the pressure cooker, bleeder valve or no, there's no way for it to relieve the pressure at the same rate that the pressure is climbing. The pressure rises until there's a catastrophic failure, usually resulting in an explosion sufficient to produce an impressive shockwave. We've made duct-tape bombs out of, you guessed it, black powder and duct tape that were powerful enough to blow a small birch tree in half.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:34 pm UTC

saintdev wrote:Am I the only one that thought of "What if? #40 - Pressure Cooker" when I saw the headline about pressure cookers?

You were one of many.
I wonder if it'll create more forum traffic. I'm going to guess not really.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:36 pm UTC

Plus bombs made of duck* tape have all that duck tape to put the people back together. The great duck giveth and taketh away.

Sorry, just a bit of gallows humor. It helps me for things like this.

It came out in 1943 for use on miltary vehicles. part if the requirements were that it was waterproof, hence, duck. The fact that it can be used on ducts is a bonus.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:37 pm UTC

Wednesday wrote:Anything that releases a bunch of energy at once is going to create a pressure wave. High explosives create true "shock waves" (blast waves) but low explosives don't.

Probably something I should just google around for, but does combustion release pressure waves?

I only ask because I think I've heard of situations where a bomb was made incorrectly so it would burn instead of explode, which sounds less dangerous.

Return to “News & Articles”