Schizophrenia and Biorhythms

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Frimble

Schizophrenia and Biorhythms

Postby Frimble » Tue May 14, 2013 12:05 am UTC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/p017vz3v

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn21371-disrupted-body-clock-may-prime-you-for-schizophrenia.html

I had previously thought that my unusual sleeping patten was due to medication I am taking for schizophrenia but information from these news sources suggest that it's more likely to be the schizophrenia itself.

I found it interesting anyway...
"Absolute precision buys the freedom to dream meaningfully." - Donal O' Shea: The Poincaré Conjecture.
"We need a reality check here. Roll a D20." - Algernon the Radish
"Should I marry W? Not unless she tells me what the other letters in her name are" Woody Allen.

Tirian

Re: Schizophrenia and Biorhythms

Postby Tirian » Tue May 14, 2013 12:28 am UTC

The circadian rhythm is a part of chronobiology, which is unrelated to the pseudoscience of biorhythms.

Telchar
That's Admiral 'The Hulk' Ackbar, to you sir

Postby Telchar » Tue May 14, 2013 12:57 am UTC

I guess initially I'm skeptical. I have no reason to doubt the results of the study, only the inferences they are getting from the data. Even if sleep disruptions are caused by or push people into schizophrenia (depending on whether you subscribe to the diasthesis-stress model or some other) I don't think this data tells us enough to make that conclusion, and the reporting isn't particularly good by comparing it to jet lag.

There are plenty of genetic disorders that play with proteins that anomalous side effects that have nothing to do with the cause of the disorder. People with down syndrome are more prone to severe gastrointestinal issues but we don't attribute the cause of down syndrome to the colon. I think this particular part of their conclusion is premature.
Zamfir wrote:Yeah, that's a good point. Everyone is all about presumption of innocence in rape threads. But when Mexican drug lords build APCs to carry their henchmen around, we immediately jump to criminal conclusions without hard evidence.

Frimble

Postby Frimble » Tue May 14, 2013 10:16 am UTC

Tirian wrote:The circadian rhythm is a part of chronobiology, which is unrelated to the pseudoscience of biorhythms.

Thanks, Noted.
"Absolute precision buys the freedom to dream meaningfully." - Donal O' Shea: The Poincaré Conjecture.
"Should I marry W? Not unless she tells me what the other letters in her name are" Woody Allen.

EMTP

Postby EMTP » Wed May 15, 2013 7:22 pm UTC

Wow, science journalism fail.

In general any severe stress will tend to lead to the express of mental illness to which you have a genetic/developmental vulnerability. That goes for anything. Sleep disruption is stressful. So it could trigger the emergence of schizophrenia. Or depression. Or OCD. Or whatever.

Sleep is also disrupted by a host of stressors, mental illness included. Even mentally ill people who sleep a great deal (depressives) often have very low quality sleep.

Sleep patterns are not the key to schizophrenia. What we see in the article is what happens when a reporter is handed research that touches upon a bunch of closely studied phenomena in different areas of study, none of which they understand.
"Reasonable – that is, human – men will always be capable of compromise, but men who have dehumanized themselves by becoming the blind worshipers of an idea or an ideal are fanatics whose devotion to abstractions makes them the enemies of life."
-- Alan Watts, "The Way of Zen"

Frimble

Postby Frimble » Wed May 15, 2013 10:19 pm UTC

What about the BBC World service podcast? That suggests that Schizophrenia causes people to sleep differently.

EMTP

Postby EMTP » Thu May 16, 2013 12:04 am UTC

Frimble wrote:What about the BBC World service podcast? That suggests that Schizophrenia causes people to sleep differently.

Sorry, skipped that one; podcasts give me hives.

Schizophrenia probably does disrupt sleep. Depression, mania, substance abuse disorders, anxiety and panic disorders, and PTSD (to name just a few) disrupt sleep, so it'd be kind of surprising, in a way, if schizophrenics had normal sleep patterns. What effect were they positing?
"Reasonable – that is, human – men will always be capable of compromise, but men who have dehumanized themselves by becoming the blind worshipers of an idea or an ideal are fanatics whose devotion to abstractions makes them the enemies of life."
-- Alan Watts, "The Way of Zen"

Frimble

Postby Frimble » Thu May 16, 2013 12:33 pm UTC

They were suggesting that melatonin was released at the wrong part of the sleep cycle in people with schizophrenia. Also that people with schizophrenia sleep varying hours each night over the course of a week or two ranging from no hours of sleep to excessive sleep. This interested me because it was the kind of thing I am experiencing.

Return to “News & Articles”