Woman Sues NBA player For Alleged Rape (Trigger Warning)

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Nylonathatep
NOT Nyarlathotep
Posts: 720
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:06 am UTC

Woman Sues NBA player For Alleged Rape (Trigger Warning)

Postby Nylonathatep » Thu May 16, 2013 3:30 pm UTC

A California woman has filed suit in Los Angeles Superior Court alleging that in 2011 Nick Young drugged her in a California bar, brought her back to his apartment and raped her. Young was a member of the Wizards at the time of the allegations. [Update: According to TMZ, the LAPD had dismissed her claims before she filed suit.]

According to the suit, the woman's memory of the evening ends shortly after Young bought her a drink. She believes he slipped GHB, the date rape drug, in her drink. She woke up the following morning in Young's bed bleeding from her vagina and rectum. The suit alleges Young admitted they had sex but said he stopped when she passed out.


http://deadspin.com/woman-sues-nick-you ... -507216581

User avatar
CorruptUser
Posts: 10548
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Re: Woman Sues NBA player For Alleged Rape (Trigger Warning)

Postby CorruptUser » Thu May 16, 2013 3:32 pm UTC

Does she have any evidence beyond he said/she said?

User avatar
rieschen
Posts: 135
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:35 am UTC

Re: Woman Sues NBA player For Alleged Rape (Trigger Warning)

Postby rieschen » Thu May 16, 2013 3:39 pm UTC

According to the suit, the woman demanded to be taken home by Young — he obliged — and she beelined for the UCLA Santa Monica Rape Treatment Center, where she took a rape kit and was tested for STDs. She claims a test at the center confirmed she had been drugged, and determined the injuries to her vagina and rectum were consistent with rape.


(Source same as above.)

Роберт
Posts: 4285
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 1:56 am UTC

Re: Woman Sues NBA player For Alleged Rape (Trigger Warning)

Postby Роберт » Thu May 16, 2013 3:47 pm UTC

Is it just me, or does it seem like having sex after your partner has been drinking is a bad idea?

I mean, I get that people like to meet in bars, but let's say that Nick Young did NOT drug her. He goes to a bar, picks up a woman, brings her home, and has sex with her than she falls unconscious? It's pretty obvious at that point that she was not really in a good state to consent, right? So it's rape.

So maybe meeting in bars looking for sex that night is a bad practice?
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Heisenberg
Posts: 3789
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 8:48 pm UTC
Location: Uncertain

Re: Woman Sues NBA player For Alleged Rape (Trigger Warning)

Postby Heisenberg » Thu May 16, 2013 4:37 pm UTC

It should be obvious BEFORE the point of unconsciousness that the person you're with is incapable of consent.

Роберт
Posts: 4285
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 1:56 am UTC

Re: Woman Sues NBA player For Alleged Rape (Trigger Warning)

Postby Роберт » Thu May 16, 2013 4:48 pm UTC

Heisenberg wrote:It should be obvious BEFORE the point of unconsciousness that the person you're with is incapable of consent.

Sure, it should be. I'm just saying, assuming we paint the story in a pretty good light for the basketball player, it's obviously rape. So it seems that trying to read someone you don't know very well when you've both been drinking is a bad way for ascertaining if you've received legitimate informed consent.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Chen
Posts: 5579
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: Woman Sues NBA player For Alleged Rape (Trigger Warning)

Postby Chen » Thu May 16, 2013 5:05 pm UTC

Heisenberg wrote:It should be obvious BEFORE the point of unconsciousness that the person you're with is incapable of consent.


The other party should be able to determine that, though I've seen people go from behavior you'd qualify as tipsy to passed out drunk VERY rapidly. More often than not though there's usually a phase where its pretty damn obvious you're drunk off your ass.

Just passing out and not remembering what happened though is not necessarily the result of being drugged. I've definitely drank enough (as people have told me after) that I've completely blanked out most of an evening, even parts prior to being THAT drunk (i.e., the last thing I remember is being at the bar and being a little tipsy).

User avatar
philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger
Posts: 1350
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:58 pm UTC
Location: Texas

Re: Woman Sues NBA player For Alleged Rape (Trigger Warning)

Postby philsov » Thu May 16, 2013 6:01 pm UTC

Just passing out and not remembering what happened though is not necessarily the result of being drugged.


As per the girl as per the center, she was drugged. Hopefully the center can confirm/deny that. And, then there is a (slim) chance $not Young$ drugged her.

But assuming at least one of the above to be true, this is more than black out / drunken 'sex'.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

Ralith The Third
Don't Ask About His Nephews
Posts: 782
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:21 pm UTC

Re: Woman Sues NBA player For Alleged Rape (Trigger Warning)

Postby Ralith The Third » Thu May 16, 2013 6:26 pm UTC

Working on the (very easy) assumption that the tests do say what she claimed, there's no way this wasn't a horrible, horrible thing to do. Drunkenness doesn't mean you're unable to consent, but being drugged? Seriously? How could he not know that was wrong?
Omni.

nitePhyyre
Posts: 1280
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:31 am UTC

Re: Woman Sues NBA player For Alleged Rape (Trigger Warning)

Postby nitePhyyre » Thu May 16, 2013 6:28 pm UTC

Nylonathatep wrote:
... She woke up the following morning in Young's bed bleeding from the volcano and rectum....
http://deadspin.com/woman-sues-nick-young-for-alleged-2011-rape-507216581
rieschen wrote:
... and determined the injuries to the volcano and rectum were consistent with rape.
(Source same as above.)
Is there some sort of word filter?

vagina
vaginal
her vagina
Edit: ahh, yup.

I'm not buying this story. I find it really hard to believe that the police would dismiss a claim with physical evidence as strong as she is claiming. Seriously, a very positive rape kit, a positive blood test for rape drugs, and the person in question admitting to the sex. At this point we are so far out of the territory where the cops can simply say 'the claims weren't credible'. If any single piece of the above is true, it is basically one of the biggest slam dunk rape cases a police department will ever see. The sex while she was passed out being so violent that she would be bleeding from her vagina and anus hours later, when she woke up also strains credibility. From my extensive knowledge of law&order reruns, a violent rape will cause severe vaginal bruising. I can easily see bleeding from anal tearing, but for it to still be bleeding hours later? Does the vagina even tear open and bleed from child birth? What did this guy do? Tape razor blades to his dick? So here is this guy who drugs a girl, rapes her extremely, extremely violently, but is such a kind gentleman, he drives her home afterwards? Also, this guy is a basketball player. If he wanted to drug someone and make them bleed, all he had to do was ask. He'd have gotten a line up. (Although, I guess, if you are a rapist that kinda kills the mood.)

I hate to say this, but I agree with the police(ewww). This doesn't make much sense.

Роберт wrote:Is it just me, or does it seem like having sex after your partner has been drinking is a bad idea?

I mean, I get that people like to meet in bars, but let's say that Nick Young did NOT drug her. He goes to a bar, picks up a woman, brings her home, and has sex with her than she falls unconscious? It's pretty obvious at that point that she was not really in a good state to consent, right? So it's rape.
Alcohol is as close to an aphrodisiac that we have. Using it for sex seems like a bad idea to you? Ever heard of singles bars? I've gotta say, its just you.

Generally, when I'm at bar if I go home and have sex I'm going to pass out afterwards also. Regardless if I've imbibed or not. Hell, forget the bar and sex. If its after closing time I'm going to be falling unconscious as soon as my head hits the pillow. Obvious? I don't think we are using that word the same as each other.

Are you a teetotaller by the way? What you are saying makes it seem like you don't know very much about the effects of alcohol.

Chen wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:It should be obvious BEFORE the point of unconsciousness that the person you're with is incapable of consent.
The other party should be able to determine that, though I've seen people go from behavior you'd qualify as tipsy to passed out drunk VERY rapidly. More often than not though there's usually a phase where its pretty damn obvious you're drunk off your ass.
So there is a point before unconsciousness that where you are too drunk for consent. But what happens when you've already given consent? What happens if you are already having sex when you get to that point?

You have a couple of drinks at the bar. Someone come up, buys you a drink, and you start talking. The first drinks you've had starts to kick in. You two talk some more. They buy you another drink. You two talk some more. The first drink they bought you starts to kick in. The bartender announces last call. You buy your final round. They propose going back to their place. You enthusiastically agree. You get back to their place. The second drink they bought starts to kick in. You are right near/at 'that point'. You start having sex. You have been having sex for 10 min. The last call drink kicks in. You are now too drunk.

Does the fact that alcohol takes some time to work through your system revoke consent? Is it retroactive rape? Is it only rape if you continue once you've noticed they've reached that point? How much attention do you have to be paying?

Long and short: If you leave a bar and aren't getting drunker on your way home, you've failed at last call. Better luck next time.
sourmìlk wrote:Monopolies are not when a single company controls the market for a single product.

You don't become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard you become great in the process.

Ralith The Third
Don't Ask About His Nephews
Posts: 782
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:21 pm UTC

Re: Woman Sues NBA player For Alleged Rape (Trigger Warning)

Postby Ralith The Third » Thu May 16, 2013 6:37 pm UTC

nitePhyyre wrote:So there is a point before unconsciousness that where you are too drunk for consent. But what happens when you've already given consent? What happens if you are already having sex when you get to that point?

You have a couple of drinks at the bar. Someone come up, buys you a drink, and you start talking. The first drinks you've had starts to kick in. You two talk some more. They buy you another drink. You two talk some more. The first drink they bought you starts to kick in. The bartender announces last call. You buy your final round. They propose going back to their place. You enthusiastically agree. You get back to their place. The second drink they bought starts to kick in. You are right near/at 'that point'. You start having sex. You have been having sex for 10 min. The last call drink kicks in. You are now too drunk.

Does the fact that alcohol takes some time to work through your system revoke consent? Is it retroactive rape? Is it only rape if you continue once you've noticed they've reached that point? How much attention do you have to be paying?


I could easily go along with "If you're able to consent, and begin having sex, as long as consent is not explicitly withdrawn and consciousness is maintained, consent is held throughout." I feel like most people would, as well. If you're not paying enough attention to notice that the person you're screwing is no longer conscious, you're probably not doing sex right.

Under no circumstances would I support a right to retroactively withdraw consent. If you consent at the time, and continue to consent throughout, it's consensual sex. You can withdraw consent mid-sex, but not *after.*
Omni.

User avatar
bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau
Posts: 900
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:14 am UTC

Re: Woman Sues NBA player For Alleged Rape (Trigger Warning)

Postby bluebambue » Thu May 16, 2013 6:41 pm UTC

nitePhyyre wrote: From my extensive knowledge of law&order reruns, a violent rape will cause severe vaginal bruising. I can easily see bleeding from anal tearing, but for it to still be bleeding hours later?
From my extensive knowledge of having a vagina, I can say that bleeding can happen hours later. I have had longer bouts of PIV (penis in vagina) to cause me to have slow bleeding for up to half a day afterwards.

And just because I'm only responding to this bit, doesn't mean the rest of you post isn't riddled with wrongness.

Роберт
Posts: 4285
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 1:56 am UTC

Re: Woman Sues NBA player For Alleged Rape (Trigger Warning)

Postby Роберт » Thu May 16, 2013 6:57 pm UTC

nitePhyyre wrote:Seriously, a very positive rape kit, a positive blood test for rape drugs, and the person in question admitting to the sex.
...

I hate to say this, but I agree with the police(ewww). This doesn't make much sense.

What the hell? The evidence is TOO STRONG, so it must not be rape?

nitePhyyre wrote:
Are you a teetotaller by the way? What you are saying makes it seem like you don't know very much about the effects of alcohol.

...

They propose going back to their place. You enthusiastically agree. You get back to their place. The second drink they bought starts to kick in. You are right near/at 'that point'. You start having sex. You have been having sex for 10 min. The last call drink kicks in. You are now too drunk.

...

Long and short: If you leave a bar and aren't getting drunker on your way home, you've failed at last call. Better luck next time.

No, I'm not a teetotaler.

Look long and hard at the manufactured scenario you just wrote. The consent to sex happens right on the edge of when the person is capable of informed consent. So if in the scenario you set up they made out for 10 minutes without explicitly agreeing to anything, but otherwise the scenario was the same, it would be rape.

Now, you're expecting to be able to clearly tell how drunk a stranger is to know whether or not they are capable of consent? That it's not a bad practice to regularly get within minutes of raping someing?

nitePhyyre wrote:Alcohol is as close to an aphrodisiac that we have.

Ummm... and you're accusing ME of not knowing how alcohol works?
As testosterone is critical for libido and physical arousal, alcohol tends to have deleterious effects on male sexual performance. Studies have been conducted that indicate increasing levels of alcohol intoxication produce a significant degradation in male masturbatory effectiveness (MME). This degradation was measured by measuring blood alcohol concentration (BAC) and ejaculation latency. Alcohol intoxication can decrease sexual arousal, decrease pleasureability and intensity of orgasm, and increase difficulty in attaining orgasm.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_and_sex
See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aphrodisiac and http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3035442.stm and http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15265317
Some psychoactive substances such as alcohol, cannabis, methaqualone, GHB and MDMA can increase libido and sexual desire. However these drugs are not aphrodisiacs in the strict sense of the definition, as they do not consistently produce aphrodisiac effects as their main action and often actually impair function (hence, Shakespeare's famed statement that alcohol "provokes the desire, but it takes away the performance").

The British and other ambivalent drinking cultures believe that alcohol is a disinhibitor, and specifically that it makes people amorous or aggressive, so when in these experiments we are given what we think are alcoholic drinks - but are in fact non-alcoholic "placebos" - we shed our inhibitions.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

User avatar
doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself
Posts: 5538
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:31 am UTC
Location: Lexington, MA
Contact:

Re: Woman Sues NBA player For Alleged Rape (Trigger Warning)

Postby doogly » Thu May 16, 2013 8:14 pm UTC

nitePhyyre wrote: I find it really hard to believe that the police would dismiss a claim with physical evidence as strong as she is claiming.

Dude, have you even met the police?
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

User avatar
ameretrifle
Vera
Posts: 814
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:32 am UTC
Location: Canada (the flat bit)

Re: Woman Sues NBA player For Alleged Rape (Trigger Warning)

Postby ameretrifle » Thu May 16, 2013 8:40 pm UTC

nitePhyyre wrote:Is there some sort of word filter?
Y'know, you could just test that out with the preview button instead of leaving in all your riveting stream-of-thought commentary. Not that we aren't all interested in every single thought that flutters across your brain.

Does the vagina even tear open and bleed from child birth?
Yes, actually, commonly, as well as during sex. Amazing what you can learn from the first page of google results, isn't it? It's like you don't have to pull comments out of your ass, you can take thirty seconds to look it up first now. You have that option. Technology is astounding.

If he wanted to drug someone and make them bleed, all he had to do was ask. He'd have gotten a line up. (Although, I guess, if you are a rapist that kinda kills the mood.)
So if there's anyone who wants to have sex with you, you can't be a rapist, because rape is what happens when you can't get the sex you want. Got it, Sensei.

Alcohol is as close to an aphrodisiac that we have.
No it isn't.
Using it for sex seems like a bad idea to you?
Yes it does.
I've gotta say
No, you didn't.
its[sic] just you.
No, it's not.

snow5379
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:06 pm UTC

Re: Woman Sues NBA player For Alleged Rape (Trigger Warning)

Postby snow5379 » Thu May 16, 2013 8:42 pm UTC

I'm pretty sure she's just making things up since right off the bat she was looking to gain money from it. Furthermore it's 2 years after the fact so, conveniently enough for her, the cops can't double check her nonexistent physical "evidence." Meanwhile the millionaire basketball player who probably does a different chick every week, and who has no need to rape anyone, is helping police in any way he can. I mean 1+1=?

I mean, hell, if getting drunk at a bar and hitting on the richest looking guy there could make you a millionaire because of feminist "rape culture" then there is something wrong with society and the way we look at gender and rape in general. I really hate to bring this up but if the genders here were reversed, and she was the millionaire female basketball player... but these girls read all sorts of stuff on the internet and think they can get away with anything just because of their gender. It's sad really.

Heisenberg
Posts: 3789
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 8:48 pm UTC
Location: Uncertain

Re: Woman Sues NBA player For Alleged Rape (Trigger Warning)

Postby Heisenberg » Thu May 16, 2013 8:52 pm UTC

Oh. Well if you're pretty sure...

User avatar
CorruptUser
Posts: 10548
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Re: Woman Sues NBA player For Alleged Rape (Trigger Warning)

Postby CorruptUser » Thu May 16, 2013 8:54 pm UTC

And it's thoughts like that that can let rich assholes get away with rape. If the rape victim is 'always' trying to get some money out of it then the rich guy can never be held accountable.

Enokh
Posts: 473
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:55 pm UTC

Re: Woman Sues NBA player For Alleged Rape (Trigger Warning)

Postby Enokh » Thu May 16, 2013 8:55 pm UTC

Yuck, Snow, you'd have been so much better off not adding that second paragraph. Or using the phrase "has no need to rape anyone". That was pretty dumb/horrible.

Роберт
Posts: 4285
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 1:56 am UTC

Re: Woman Sues NBA player For Alleged Rape (Trigger Warning)

Postby Роберт » Thu May 16, 2013 8:55 pm UTC

snow5379 wrote:I'm pretty sure she's just making things up since right off the bat she was looking to gain money from it. Furthermore it's 2 years after the fact so, conveniently enough for her, the cops can't double check her nonexistent physical "evidence."

Okay, you're an ass on so many levels. I'll just go with this. You clearly didn't read the article. She didn't wait two years to go to the cops. Ass.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

snow5379
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:06 pm UTC

Re: Woman Sues NBA player For Alleged Rape (Trigger Warning)

Postby snow5379 » Thu May 16, 2013 8:58 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:And it's thoughts like that that can let rich assholes get away with rape. If the rape victim is 'always' trying to get some money out of it then the rich guy can never be held accountable.


Rich assholes don't need to rape though. And, if there was any physical evidence, they wouldn't get away with it. The issue here is someone is making a claim with no evidence and trying to win off the "rich assholes are never held accountable!" card. You're honestly just playing right into her hand.

Do you really want to convict a man of a crime with no evidence present?

EDIT

Furthermore, if you were raped, would you REALLY go after money? Why wouldn't you try to land the fucker, instead, in prison? Her claims make absolutely no sense. As a raped person, would you REALLY want to let the world know "he raped me, but it's okay, since he has money!"

Enokh
Posts: 473
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:55 pm UTC

Re: Woman Sues NBA player For Alleged Rape (Trigger Warning)

Postby Enokh » Thu May 16, 2013 9:04 pm UTC

Yup, went to the cops immediately, her claim got rejected, and is NOW filing suit against him.

There's an article linked within the previously linked aticle (here where it says "We're told the woman subsequently made financial demands on Nick -- to either pay up or face a lawsuit", which admittedly makes me suspicious but whatever.

At this point the entire thread is nigh-pointless conjecture. People either think he's a horrible piece of shit rapist, or that she's a lying piece of shit gold-digger.

I'm admittedly confused that, if she had positive tests, him admitting to having sex, etc., why she didn't take him to court immediately after being rejected by the cops (or immediately after he refused to give her money), but. . .people don't always act the way I (think that I) would, and probably aren't in a reasonable mindset after something that fucked up happened to them. Also possible she just REALLY didn't want to go to court, which seems pretty reasonable for a rape victim who is trying to get over being raped.

Роберт
Posts: 4285
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 1:56 am UTC

Re: Woman Sues NBA player For Alleged Rape (Trigger Warning)

Postby Роберт » Thu May 16, 2013 9:06 pm UTC

snow5379 wrote:Rich assholes don't need to rape though.

I don't need to punch you repeatedly in the face.

Doesn't mean I'm not tempted to anyway.

What does "need to rape" even mean? Who actually needs to rape?
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

snow5379
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:06 pm UTC

Re: Woman Sues NBA player For Alleged Rape (Trigger Warning)

Postby snow5379 » Thu May 16, 2013 9:17 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:
snow5379 wrote:Rich assholes don't need to rape though.

I don't need to punch you repeatedly in the face.

Doesn't mean I'm not tempted to anyway.

What does "need to rape" even mean? Who actually needs to rape?


To be fair, I wouldn't know; I'm not a rapist. I always think of rapists as unattractive people who need to use devious means to have sex. Why would you steal something that you can get for free? I'm sorry for not understanding... it's like, why would an attractive woman rape a random unattractive guy? But alright let's say the guy says no to sex, or would have said no had he not been drinking, does that mean every time a guy gets drunk and has sex with a girl the girl raped him? I don't drink but I've had sex after smoking weed, does that mean I was raped? Can I get money out of it?

It just seems damn strange that she'd go after money instead of trying to incarcerate the guy. Also I hate to point this out but it's easy to fabricate evidence and some people would go through some very elaborate schemes to make a quick buck. Thought I'm pretty sure her evidence is just he said she said stuff anyway.

User avatar
doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself
Posts: 5538
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:31 am UTC
Location: Lexington, MA
Contact:

Re: Woman Sues NBA player For Alleged Rape (Trigger Warning)

Postby doogly » Thu May 16, 2013 9:21 pm UTC

snow5379 wrote:To be fair, I wouldn't know; I'm not a rapist. I always think of rapists as unattractive people who need to use devious means to have sex.

You are describing a very strange and rare sort of rapist, who goes out with a plan, "Let's do some rapes."
It's vaaastly more common for a racist to simply be more focused on their own desires and invalidating and unconcerned with any resistance. It's less "I can't get consent, so I will rape" and more "consent isn't actually appearing in my internal monologue as a concern I have."
You seem extremely dismissive of the woman in the article. This is a character trait that reveals that maybe you have been a rapist! It's possible. But we can surely conclude you are a shitty, shitty person.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

Ralith The Third
Don't Ask About His Nephews
Posts: 782
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:21 pm UTC

Re: Woman Sues NBA player For Alleged Rape (Trigger Warning)

Postby Ralith The Third » Thu May 16, 2013 9:29 pm UTC

snow5379 wrote:To be fair, I wouldn't know; I'm not a rapist. I always think of rapists as unattractive people who need to use devious means to have sex. Why would you steal something that you can get for free? I'm sorry for not understanding... it's like, why would an attractive woman rape a random unattractive guy? But alright let's say the guy says no to sex, or would have said no had he not been drinking, does that mean every time a guy gets drunk and has sex with a girl the girl raped him? I don't drink but I've had sex after smoking weed, does that mean I was raped? Can I get money out of it?


Oh lord man did you seriously just.

Okay. Rape is rarely only about sex. Rape is very, very often about power. It's incredibly sexual, and the power gives a sexual thrill and stimulation, but it's not "I can't get laid, I'm going to rape someone." It's "I want to dominate someone (sexually or otherwise) and I'm willing to disregard morality and legality to do so." Or simply "I want to have sex with this particular woman" and not being concerned about her consenting or not."

edit - added in an "only" before "about sex" that somehow got dropped from my composition.
Last edited by Ralith The Third on Fri May 17, 2013 1:20 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Omni.

snow5379
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:06 pm UTC

Re: Woman Sues NBA player For Alleged Rape (Trigger Warning)

Postby snow5379 » Thu May 16, 2013 9:32 pm UTC

doogly wrote:
snow5379 wrote:To be fair, I wouldn't know; I'm not a rapist. I always think of rapists as unattractive people who need to use devious means to have sex.

You are describing a very strange and rare sort of rapist, who goes out with a plan, "Let's do some rapes."
It's vaaastly more common for a racist to simply be more focused on their own desires and invalidating and unconcerned with any resistance. It's less "I can't get consent, so I will rape" and more "consent isn't actually appearing in my internal monologue as a concern I have."
You seem extremely dismissive of the woman in the article. This is a character trait that reveals that maybe you have been a rapist! It's possible. But we can surely conclude you are a shitty, shitty person.


I don't think having different views makes people shitty people.

I'm a bit detached, I'll give you that: anyway the way I see it, an attractive person has sex with an unattractive person. Later the unattractive person cries rape. Alright, fair enough. So do we:

1. Put anyone who is accused of rape in jail
2. Check for evidence and only intricate those proven (beyond a reasonable doubt) to have committed a crime?

What's this? The unattractive person doesn't want 1, and ESPECIALLY doesn't want 2? Instead they want money?

It just seems REALLY sketchy to me and, I don't know, people seem to WANT to have sex with attractive people so attractive people don't need to use date rate drugs, especially on unattractive people. It just doesn't add up.

You guys are making this basketball player out to be some serial rapist asshole. If you were a millionaire "player" who could get any girl you want (or at least, that's how you think in your head) would you use date rape drugs?
Last edited by snow5379 on Thu May 16, 2013 9:35 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Роберт
Posts: 4285
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 1:56 am UTC

Re: Woman Sues NBA player For Alleged Rape (Trigger Warning)

Postby Роберт » Thu May 16, 2013 9:33 pm UTC

snow5379 wrote:It just seems damn strange that she'd go after money instead of trying to incarcerate the guy.

Maybe when she went to the cops they didn't do anything about it?
snow5379 wrote:I'm a bit detached, I'll give you that: anyway the way I see it, an attractive person has sex with an unattractive person. Later the unattractive person cries rape. Alright, fair enough. So do we:

1. Put anyone who is accused of rape in jail
2. Check for evidence and only intricate those proven (beyond a reasonable doubt) to have committed a crime?

What's this? The unattractive person doesn't want 1, and ESPECIALLY doesn't want 2? Instead they want money?

It just seems REALLY sketchy to me and, I don't know, people seem to WANT to have sex with attractive people so attractive people don't need to use date rate drugs, especially on unattractive people. It just doesn't add up.

You're so intent on your narrative that you aren't even reading the article. She went to a center for treatment and testing, and then went to the cops.

Sorry it doesn't fit your narrative.

snow5379 wrote:You guys are making this basketball player out to be some serial rapist asshole. If you were a millionaire "player" who could get any girl you want (or at least, that's how you think in your head) would you use date rape drugs?

If I was an ugly SOB who never got laid, would I use date rape drugs? No, I wouldn't. You keep acting like rape is for people who can't get sex any other way.

If you were a black pop star, would you have kids sleep over at your house and molest them?
Last edited by Роберт on Thu May 16, 2013 9:39 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

snow5379
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:06 pm UTC

Re: Woman Sues NBA player For Alleged Rape (Trigger Warning)

Postby snow5379 » Thu May 16, 2013 9:37 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:
snow5379 wrote:It just seems damn strange that she'd go after money instead of trying to incarcerate the guy.

Maybe when she went to the cops they didn't do anything about it?


She immediately started talking about money to the cops like it was the plan all along.

Heisenberg
Posts: 3789
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 8:48 pm UTC
Location: Uncertain

Re: Woman Sues NBA player For Alleged Rape (Trigger Warning)

Postby Heisenberg » Thu May 16, 2013 9:39 pm UTC

snow5379 wrote:It just seems damn strange that she'd go after money instead of trying to incarcerate the guy. Also I hate to point this out but it's easy to fabricate evidence and some people would go through some very elaborate schemes to make a quick buck. Thought I'm pretty sure her evidence is just he said she said stuff anyway.

I bolded the parts that are factually incorrect. You've been corrected by nice people, go back, read, and apologize. Otherwise you will be treated as a troll.

User avatar
CorruptUser
Posts: 10548
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Re: Woman Sues NBA player For Alleged Rape (Trigger Warning)

Postby CorruptUser » Thu May 16, 2013 9:46 pm UTC

Perhaps snow should read some of the horror stories in our rape thread before making blanket statements about rapists?

snow5379
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:06 pm UTC

Re: Woman Sues NBA player For Alleged Rape (Trigger Warning)

Postby snow5379 » Thu May 16, 2013 9:48 pm UTC

"She's filed a civil lawsuit, but now we're learning shortly after the alleged incident, she went to LAPD cops who dismissed her claim because her story didn't make sense. What's more ... law enforcement says at the time she went to cops, she was already talking about a lawsuit, and that made them even more suspicious."

What I'm saying is factually correct. Anyway these charges are very serious.

"She claims a test at the center confirmed she had been drugged, and determined the injuries to her vagina and rectum were consistent with rape."

Well if she can present that evidence in court then she might have a case. Just saying "oh, the treatment center said this" doesn't prove jack unless she has papers to prove it. If she's willing to do that, instead of this "just give me money and settle this out of court" crap she's pulling then I'd be all for her cause!

I'm sure everyone would be with her if she just stopped grabbing for money for 30 seconds!! Instead, if she tried to incarcerate the guy, people would take her seriously!!

Heisenberg
Posts: 3789
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 8:48 pm UTC
Location: Uncertain

Re: Woman Sues NBA player For Alleged Rape (Trigger Warning)

Postby Heisenberg » Thu May 16, 2013 9:54 pm UTC

Do you understand how the police work? The police don't hand you money. So saying that when she took her evidence to the police she was going "after money instead of trying to incarcerate the guy" is not consistent with reality.
snow5379 wrote:Well if she can present that evidence in court then she might have a case.
She has not been allowed to go to court. She tried to get the police to help her, they failed. Now she is trying to go to civil court and you say shit like this:
snow5379 wrote:if you were raped, would you REALLY go after money? Why wouldn't you try to land the fucker, instead, in prison?
She tried to land the fucker in prison. No one would help her. Now she is filing a civil case.
Last edited by Heisenberg on Thu May 16, 2013 9:55 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Роберт
Posts: 4285
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 1:56 am UTC

Re: Woman Sues NBA player For Alleged Rape (Trigger Warning)

Postby Роберт » Thu May 16, 2013 9:54 pm UTC

snow5379 wrote:I'm sure everyone would be with her if she just stopped grabbing for money for 30 seconds!! Instead, if she tried to incarcerate the guy, people would take her seriously!!

Well, since you're sure...

Young, for his part, says he had consensual sex with the woman, but that he stopped when she passed out.


Young says he had sex with her until she passed out. Why doesn't that bit "seem suspicious" to you?
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Heisenberg
Posts: 3789
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 8:48 pm UTC
Location: Uncertain

Re: Woman Sues NBA player For Alleged Rape (Trigger Warning)

Postby Heisenberg » Thu May 16, 2013 9:56 pm UTC

Really, Young's admission indicates that he continued to have sex with her until HE REALIZED she had passed out.

snow5379
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:06 pm UTC

Re: Woman Sues NBA player For Alleged Rape (Trigger Warning)

Postby snow5379 » Thu May 16, 2013 10:01 pm UTC

Let's presume he brutally raped her. Would you WANT him to just be able to pay her off? If she gets any money out of this it's a punch in the face to anyone who cares about women's rights.

I'm saying bring it to a normal court. Let's see her evidence first under legal examination instead of making wild accusations. I'm holing innocent until proven guilty here. If she was dismissed by the cops they probably had some reason to do so: what we are getting is just some headline post from people who like to make a show out of everything.
Last edited by snow5379 on Thu May 16, 2013 10:03 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.
Posts: 2493
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:01 pm UTC
Location: Back in't home town. Never at home.
Contact:

Re: Woman Sues NBA player For Alleged Rape (Trigger Warning)

Postby felltir » Thu May 16, 2013 10:02 pm UTC

She can't, because the police won't take the case. That's been said quite a few times now.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.


Blog

he/him/his

User avatar
CorruptUser
Posts: 10548
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Re: Woman Sues NBA player For Alleged Rape (Trigger Warning)

Postby CorruptUser » Thu May 16, 2013 10:04 pm UTC

If the evidence really was so flimsy that the police were right to have dismissed it, in civil court she will be section 11'd and her attorney will have consequences of his/her own.

snow5379
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:06 pm UTC

Re: Woman Sues NBA player For Alleged Rape (Trigger Warning)

Postby snow5379 » Thu May 16, 2013 10:04 pm UTC

Then sue the police! There's always someone higher up on the ladder to go after: this has been proven time and time again. If you try hard enough your case will go to court. If you, from day 1, are after money no one (especially not the cops) will take you seriously.
Last edited by snow5379 on Thu May 16, 2013 10:07 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Роберт
Posts: 4285
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 1:56 am UTC

Re: Woman Sues NBA player For Alleged Rape (Trigger Warning)

Postby Роберт » Thu May 16, 2013 10:05 pm UTC

snow5379 wrote:Let's presume he brutally raped her. Would you WANT him to just be able to pay her off? If she gets any money out of this it's a punch in the face to anyone who cares about women's rights.

I'm saying bring it to a normal court. Let's see her evidence first under legal examination instead of making wild accusations. I'm holing innocent until proven guilty here.

I'm certainly not wanting to lynch the black man for touching a woman. (Is Jane Doe white?) I don't want him to go to jail on a baseless accusation, and neither does anyone here.

But you're one to say "hey let's wait for evidence" when you've made proclamations like:
I'm pretty sure she's just making things up since right off the bat she was looking to gain money from it. Furthermore it's 2 years after the fact so, conveniently enough for her, the cops can't double check her nonexistent physical "evidence." Meanwhile the millionaire basketball player who probably does a different chick every week, and who has no need to rape anyone, is helping police in any way he can. I mean 1+1=?


Couldn't you wait until the evidence first? No, apparently you couldn't.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.


Return to “News & Articles”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests