Finns Crack Diabeetus

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Finns Crack Diabeetus

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:37 pm UTC

I, for one, thank our Norse overlords.

Finnish Team Makes Diabetes Vaccine Breakthrough

"A team working at Tampere University, Finland has discovered the virus that causes type 1 diabetes. The enterovirus penetrates the pancreas and destroys insulin-producing cells, eventually causing diabetes. Researchers have looked at more than a hundred different strains of the virus and pinpointed five that could cause diabetes. They believe they could produce a vaccine against those strains. One virus type has been identified to carry the biggest risk. A vaccine could also protect against its close relatives, to give the best possible effect. A similar enterovirus causes polio, which has been almost eradicated in many parts of the world thanks to vaccination programmes. A prototype diabetes vaccine has already been produced and tested on animals. Taking the vaccine through a clinical trial would cost some 700 million euros. Some funding is in place from the United States and from Europe, but more is required. Professor Heikki Hyöty says that money is the biggest obstacle in moving to testing in humans, but he sees that people are interested in their research and that the funding problems will ultimately be solved."

More Finnish info, if anyone feels like translating. Google Translate isn't 100% effective.

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Re: Finns Crack Diabeetus

Postby Iulus Cofield » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:47 pm UTC

This is a wonderful breakthrough.

dii

Postby dii » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:57 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:More Finnish info, if anyone feels like translating. Google Translate isn't 100% effective.

The Finnish article is from 2010, so it seems it just contains old information about the study. Basically, how they believed type 1 diabetes is caused by an enterovirus, and how they're looking to isolate that virus, which they now apparently have done.

It also speculates, that type 1 diabetes has not become an epidemic like polio, because in addition to the virus there also needs to be genetic predisposition for it. There's talk about an english study, there's apparently a gene MDA5 which plays part in recognizing when enterovirii attack the body, and seems to be related to the risk of getting diabetes.

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:14 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I, for one, thank our Norse overlords.

something that has been bugging me: Finns aren't technically Norse. They are a separate ethnographic and linguistic group.

Just something thats been bothering me.
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:14 pm UTC

Hmm! My apologies. I'm Swedish by heritage and always thought that whole Scandinavian region was Norselike.

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:32 pm UTC

Similarly, Finland isn't Scandinavian. :p

I think nordic is the usual term for scandinavia + finland.

Finland is often included though because it was ruled by the Swedes for so long and does have a Swedish-speaking minority. Nevertheless, Iceland and the Faroes have a better claim (based on culture and language) to being Scandinavian than Finland does.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb

Postby ObsessoMom » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:49 pm UTC

Yup, the Finns are ethnically and culturally distinct from their neighbors, as are the Basques.

Spoilered for OT:
Spoiler:
I once wrote a poem inspired by the following snippet from Wikipedia's entry for Finnish profanity:
"The people in neighboring countries to Finland often consider Finnish swear words harsher than their own, and even use heavily mis-pronounced versions of them...paska [translated "shit" or "crap"] is believed to have been in continuous use since at least the Proto-Finnic of 3000 BC."

For some inexplicable reason I was never able to find a publisher for that stirring little masterpiece, presenting that word as a sort of eternal flame. Sigh. We geniuses are so misunderstood.

Derek

Postby Derek » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:26 pm UTC

eSOANEM wrote:Similarly, Finland isn't Scandinavian. :p

Finland is often included though because it was ruled by the Swedes for so long and does have a Swedish-speaking minority. Nevertheless, Iceland and the Faroes have a better claim (based on culture and language) to being Scandinavian than Finland does.

I think it's the other way around, Finland is part of Scandinavia, but is not Nordic. Although Finland is part of the Nordic Council. But Finland is also part of the main cast of Scandinavia and the World, and I think that's pretty authoritative.

Mambrino

Postby Mambrino » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:35 am UTC

Derek wrote:

I think it's the other way around, Finland is part of Scandinavia, but is not Nordic. Although Finland is part of the Nordic Council. But Finland is also part of the main cast of Scandinavia and the World, and I think that's pretty authoritative.

No, eSOANEM got it right. Strictly speaking, the word 'Scandinavia' may refer either to the cultural/ethnic region where Scandinavian languages are spoken or to geographic region of the Scandinavian Peninsula. However, as in English usage 'Scandinavia' and 'Nordic countries' (= Scandinavia + Finland & Greenland & Iceland & Faroe Isl., or, Scandinavia plus the lands that were part of either Swedish or Danish empires before the Napoleonic wars) are synonymous anyway, I think it's okay to use either one (as long as you remember that Norse != Nordics). And of course, if Scotland really decides to go 'independent country' again and then wants to be one of the Nordics too, then maybe we must stop using those words interchangeably.

ObsessoMom wrote:Yup, the Finns are ethnically and culturally distinct from their neighbors, as are the Basques.

Actually, not as distinct as Basques (they've got no closely related languages anywhere in Europe). after all, it's only about 80km of water (and 50 years of Soviet Union) between us and our fellow Finno-Ugric brethren in Estonia.

dii

Postby dii » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:27 pm UTC

No, that's Fennoscandia. Nordic also includes Iceland, Denmark, Faroe islands and Greenland. And maybe some other technicalities that I can't remember.

Anyway, the main Nordic countries are Finland (+the autonomous region of Åland), Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Iceland.

Scandinavia is a geographical region, if you refer to countries it's always Nordic Countries that is used.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:36 pm UTC

Fascinating.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:33 pm UTC

These guys are heroes. I mean this literally.

Put on shiny spandex and run around with sweaty men chasing a sack of animal skin, and millions cheer. How much more should we honor people who give us things like this?

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:14 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:These guys are heroes. I mean this literally.

Put on shiny spandex and run around with sweaty men chasing a sack of animal skin, and millions cheer. How much more should we honor people who give us things like this?

Hey! Football players EARN their money! These 'scientists' just leech off of government handouts, DRAINING society of valuable capital! They...

Sorry, wrong meeting.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:21 am UTC

Let's just call it "The cool part of Europe". From what I can tell, Finland definitely seems to belong in there.

Honestly, I wish The Netherlands could join Scandinavia :)
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Isaac Hill
Systems Analyst????

Postby Isaac Hill » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:58 am UTC

When you can't each too much candy
cuz your pancreas gets randy.
Diabeetus
Diabeetus

Thanks to some great Finns
it's a battle you can win.
Diabeetus
Diabeetus
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry

eSOANEM

Postby eSOANEM » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:19 pm UTC

Derek wrote:

And Humon specifically says many times that Finland is Nordic but not Scandinavian :p

dii wrote:

No, that's Fennoscandia. Nordic also includes Iceland, Denmark, Faroe islands and Greenland. And maybe some other technicalities that I can't remember.

Anyway, the main Nordic countries are Finland (+the autonomous region of Åland), Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Iceland.

Scandinavia often (when it's used as a cultural/linguistic term) includes Iceland and the Faroes as well though because of norse-ness. I hadn't meant the + finland to be a complete list of additions to go from Scandinavia to Nordic though.
my pronouns are they

dii

Postby dii » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:17 am UTC

I like how a discussion on diabetes has turned into a debate on Nordic geography.

eSOANEM wrote:
Derek wrote:

And Humon specifically says many times that Finland is Nordic but not Scandinavian :p

dii wrote:

Scandinavia often (when it's used as a cultural/linguistic term) includes Iceland and the Faroes as well though because of norse-ness. I hadn't meant the + finland to be a complete list of additions to go from Scandinavia to Nordic though.

Scandinavia proper is a) a mountain range, b) a peninsula. As a geographical region, it includes Sweden + Norway. Fennoscandia is Sweden + Norway + Finland. If you need a wider definition it's better to use Nordic Countries, which includes a whole lot more countries (umm... two).

And no one really talks about "scandinavian cultural regions" unless they specifically want to exclude Finland.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:34 am UTC

Why would you drag up this discussion again to wrongly correct someone when the correct answer has already been given several times.

The term 'Scandinavia' primarily refers to a cultural region. It's also used geographically, as in 'The Scandinavian Peninsula', and this use actually derives from the former. Claiming that the derived meaning is the primary meaning is slightly weird, especially when in practical speech it's hardly ever used like that. Anyway, geographical Scandinavia includes Norway, Sweden, but also the northern part of Finland. Cultural Scandinavia (which is just Scandinavia), according to the Scandinavians themselves, includes Norway, Denmark and Sweden, but not Finland or any other country. In the rest of the world the term is sometimes used to include Finland, or even Iceland and the Faeroe Isles, but this usage should probably considered incorrect. The proper term for this group of countries is Nordic.

And while we're talking geographical regions, a pet peeve of mine: Northern Europe includes the Nordic countries (Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Iceland), the UK, The Netherlands, Germany and the Flanders part of Belgium. The UN actually defines that differently, according to them Germany and The Netherlands are not part of Northern Europe, but the Baltic states are. The latter I can live with, the former is quite clearly insane.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist

Grop

Postby Grop » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:29 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:the Flanders part of Belgium

This is especially ridiculous, I think.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:40 pm UTC

Well we're defining a cultural grouping here. Cultures don't necessarily obey national borders.

The Northern part of The Netherlands is definitely part of Northern Europe. Germanic language, originally protestant, but highly secularized, with many cultural and historic ties going back hundreds of years. The East Sea trade (look up Hansa) was very important in The Netherlands for hundreds of years. It still is.

Similarly Wallonia is definitely not part of Northern Europe. Culturally it's entirely oriented towards the south.

So where to place the border? There are three possible choices. Either include The Netherlands and Flanders, but not Wallonia, or include The Netherlands and not Belgium, or include The Netherlands north of the Rhine and not everything south of the Rhine. Honestly I don't know which one is best.

dii

Postby dii » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:09 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:Why would you drag up this discussion again to wrongly correct someone when the correct answer has already been given several times.

The term 'Scandinavia' primarily refers to a cultural region. It's also used geographically, as in 'The Scandinavian Peninsula', and this use actually derives from the former.

Not really, as such. Historically, the ethymology of the name Scandinavia is derived from the Skåne region, also called "Scania" internationally. The geographical use is the original, and the cultural region use came afterwards.

Granted, the original geographical use didn't refer to the same region that is currently meant by the term, but that doesn't change the fact that it was first used as a geographical term, not a cultural one.

Claiming that the derived meaning is the primary meaning is slightly weird, especially when in practical speech it's hardly ever used like that. Anyway, geographical Scandinavia includes Norway, Sweden, but also the northern part of Finland. Cultural Scandinavia (which is just Scandinavia), according to the Scandinavians themselves, includes Norway, Denmark and Sweden, but not Finland or any other country. In the rest of the world the term is sometimes used to include Finland, or even Iceland and the Faeroe Isles, but this usage should probably considered incorrect. The proper term for this group of countries is Nordic.

The term Scandinavia isn't used much, period, either as a geographical or cultural term. Inside Nordic Countries, the term that is usually used is Nordic Countries, unless there's a reason to specifically exclude Finland and Iceland.

Most often, the word "Scandinavia" gets used when talking about either the peninsula or the mountain range. Scandinavian cultural region is something that viking nationalists talk about ("hur hur, we're the proud scandinavian race" and so on).

And while we're talking geographical regions, a pet peeve of mine: Northern Europe includes the Nordic countries (Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Iceland), the UK, The Netherlands, Germany and the Flanders part of Belgium. The UN actually defines that differently, according to them Germany and The Netherlands are not part of Northern Europe, but the Baltic states are. The latter I can live with, the former is quite clearly insane.

Makes sense actually, considering that the Baltic states are all further north than either Germany or Netherlands. Personally, I wouldn't consider Germany, Netherlands, UK or any part of Belgium to Northern Europe, they're much more accurately described as being in Western Europe rather than Northern. Maybe Northwestern at best.

patzer

Postby patzer » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:40 pm UTC

dii wrote:Fennoscandia is Sweden + Norway + Finland.

No, Fennoscandia is Sweden + Norway + Finland + Karelia + Kola Peninsula.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

Cleverbeans

Postby Cleverbeans » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:18 am UTC

Can we just agree to call them all "the other Europeans" and get back to the science?
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." - Abraham Lincoln

dii

Postby dii » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:17 am UTC

patzer wrote:

Karelia belongs to Finland, Russia is just borrowing it...

eSOANEM

Postby eSOANEM » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:13 pm UTC

dii wrote:
Diadem wrote:Why would you drag up this discussion again to wrongly correct someone when the correct answer has already been given several times.

The term 'Scandinavia' primarily refers to a cultural region. It's also used geographically, as in 'The Scandinavian Peninsula', and this use actually derives from the former.

Not really, as such. Historically, the ethymology of the name Scandinavia is derived from the Skåne region, also called "Scania" internationally. The geographical use is the original, and the cultural region use came afterwards.

Granted, the original geographical use didn't refer to the same region that is currently meant by the term, but that doesn't change the fact that it was first used as a geographical term, not a cultural one.

Actually, the earliest references to Scandinavia under a name apparently related to the modern name "Scania" are classical sources claiming it's the name of a Germanic tribe living in somewhere which is probably the southern tip of Sweden (classical geography of northern europe is hazy at best) implying a cultural use.

dii wrote:The term Scandinavia isn't used much, period, either as a geographical or cultural term. Inside Nordic Countries, the term that is usually used is Nordic Countries, unless there's a reason to specifically exclude Finland and Iceland.

Most often, the word "Scandinavia" gets used when talking about either the peninsula or the mountain range. Scandinavian cultural region is something that viking nationalists talk about ("hur hur, we're the proud scandinavian race" and so on).

Scandinavia really is a common term outside the region (outside the region that is). The only people I know here who would correctly interpret the term "nordic countries" here who aren't themselves nordic are those who read Scandinavia and the World.

Cleverbeans wrote:Can we just agree to call them all "the other Europeans" and get back to the science?

But the Finns aren't European either!*

**not strictly true in most meaningful senses. Whilst it's true that linguistically they aren't indo-european and so you'd expect them not to be ethnically european (instead being uralic), research has shown that most Finns are genetically more similar to Scandinavians than to most other Uralic peoples suggesting that the language of a small indigenous Finnish population was adopted by migrating Scandinavians.

dii wrote:
patzer wrote:

Karelia belongs to Finland, Russia is just borrowing it...

Russia still is borrowing most of Karelia.
my pronouns are they

Cleverbeans

Postby Cleverbeans » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:55 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Are you othering the Finns?

Well here in western Canada Europe is generally regarded as Britain, France, Spain, Germany and other, so yes I'm othering most of the continent including the Finns and the Quebecois. :twisted:
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." - Abraham Lincoln

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:17 pm UTC

Well, here in Western Canada (where I also am), that is definitely Europe... which at no point means the Finns are "the other Europeans" anymore than you're "the other Albertan".

And fuck the Quebecois.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:57 pm UTC

dii wrote:
Diadem wrote:The term 'Scandinavia' primarily refers to a cultural region. It's also used geographically, as in 'The Scandinavian Peninsula', and this use actually derives from the former.

Well as eSOANEM points out, 'Scania' itself derives from a cultural use. But more importantly, while Scandinavia is derived from Scania, it was first used in a cultural meaning. The geographical meaning came later and derives from the cultural one. So 'Scandinavia' was definitely first used as a cultural term.

dii wrote:The term Scandinavia isn't used much, period

That is blatantly false. No doubt it's not used much in Farawaytown, South Africa or Nowhereneareuropevillage, Indonesia. But within Europe the term is definitely used very often. And I think this is true in the entire Western world. I regularly hear the word used on US television, and I don't even watch US television.

dii wrote:Most often, the word "Scandinavia" gets used when talking about either the peninsula or the mountain range. Scandinavian cultural region is something that viking nationalists talk about ("hur hur, we're the proud scandinavian race" and so on).

I've never heard people talk about either the peninsula or mountain range. Why would they? Only mountain climbers give a fuck about a mountain range in some far away country, and only geologists give a fuck about peninsulas.

dii wrote:

Makes sense actually, considering that the Baltic states are all further north than either Germany or Netherlands. Personally, I wouldn't consider Germany, Netherlands, UK or any part of Belgium to Northern Europe, they're much more accurately described as being in Western Europe rather than Northern. Maybe Northwestern at best.

Since when are "Western Europe" and "Northern Europe" antonyms? Germany and The Netherlands are in both Western and Northern Europe. So are Denmark, Norway and Sweden, by the way. Also, how far north / south / east / west a country is, is not really a criterion here. Greece is in Western Europe while lying to the east of several Eastern European countries. But counting the Baltic states as Northern Europe makes sense, I have no beef with that.

Cleverbeans wrote:Well here in western Canada Europe is generally regarded as Britain, France, Spain, Germany and other, so yes I'm othering most of the continent including the Finns and the Quebecois. :twisted:

Huh? I understand not caring about all the small countries. But surely you've heard of Russia? Also, Italy is significantly more important (and well known) than Spain.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:19 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:Italy is significantly more important (and well known) than Spain.
Wait, what? How many countries in the South American continent speak Italian as their first language?
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:40 pm UTC

Who cares? North America is significantly more important (and well known) than South America.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:51 pm UTC

Red Hal wrote:
Diadem wrote:Italy is significantly more important (and well known) than Spain.
Wait, what? How many countries in the South American continent speak Italian as their first language?

The Spanish language is more important, I entirely agree there. But Italy is a much more significant country than Spain.

- Italy has 60M inhabitants vs. Spain's 47M.
- Italy's GDP is 1.8 trillion USD vs. Spain's 1.4 trillion (Spain actually has a higher per capita GDP though, to my surprise).
- Italy is a founding member of the EU, and politically quite powerful (unfortunately). Spain much less so.
- Italy is culturally more significant. I mean, they pretty much invented the concept.
- Italy is historically much more significant.
- Italy played a much more significant role in recent history.

I really don't think I'm saying something shocking here. (Though 'significant' would have been a better choice of words, since importance is rather subjective).

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:41 pm UTC

So did someone cure diabetes or something?

sardia

Postby sardia » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:50 pm UTC

Mutex wrote:So did someone cure diabetes or something?

No.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:18 pm UTC

sardia wrote:
Mutex wrote:So did someone cure diabetes or something?

No.

If only there was pertinent information to that question posted on this very page...

sardia

Postby sardia » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:43 pm UTC

To be fair, the thread got derailed pretty hard with Finn Norse Scandi talk.

Whenever someone asks a Yes/No question like that, the answer is almost nothing changes. Even big breakthroughs still require incremental steps. Per the OP, there a combination of viral attack + genetic predesposition that has risk factors of diabetes. That's not a cure, nor even proof. Just evidence pointing the way.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:52 pm UTC

So you're saying the answer to the yes/no question posed was, in fact, within the body of the easily-readable original post?

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:53 pm UTC

Waitwaitwaitwaitwait.
Wait....
Wait!

Are you saying that this thread in "News & Articles" has a link to an article? From the news!? How was he supposed to know about that?
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:09 am UTC

You know if you classify what "off topic" is based on the bulk of posts and not the OP, then technically all this diabetes talk is off topic for this lively Nordic-Scandinavian definition discussion.

Anyways, lets hope the work leads to something great and exciting.

Return to “News & Articles”