The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Re: The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future

Postby Whizbang » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:10 pm UTC

Or at least someone's heart.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:27 am UTC

Do vampires even use facebook? I mean they can't post mirror-selfies, and what's the point of facebook without those?
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

addams

Postby addams » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:06 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:Do vampires even use facebook? I mean they can't post mirror-selfies, and what's the point of facebook without those?

Mirror selfies...

That makes sense.
Was it somewhere, here?

I was reading about Why?
Why, many of us do not like photos of us.

We are used to a mirror image.
Very few of us are symmetrical.

What we see in photos is not a mirror image.
A mirror selfie is what we see.

We may or may not like it.
It is a way of showing Humans far away what we look like to us.

...What a deeply Human ...compulsion.
Carl Sagan lobbied long and hard to send a selfie of us to The Stars.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:34 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:Do vampires even use facebook? I mean they can't post mirror-selfies, and what's the point of facebook without those?

They can post regular selfies.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:27 pm UTC

Sprocket wrote:

I thought vampires can't be captured on film / video cameras either. You can only see them when you look at them directly.

Tirian

Postby Tirian » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:44 pm UTC

Mutex wrote:
Sprocket wrote:

I thought vampires can't be captured on film / video cameras either. You can only see them when you look at them directly.

God, the gullibility of some people amazes me.

Obviously, the vampires (being immortal and wealthy) control the media, so everything you learned from Anne Rice or Stephanie Meyer is exactly what the vampires want you to believe about them. So that when you see a vampire in a mirror wearing a crucifix and eating garlic, you're lulled into a false sense of security. Wake up, sheeple!

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:34 pm UTC

Mutex wrote:
Sprocket wrote:

Huh? Have you ever seen a picture of a vampire? Like, even a drawing of one? That's all a camera does. They don't use mirrors, just lenses and receptive paper/film - although some (and most older, i.e. pre-digital) cameras have/had mirrors in the viewfinder. Vampires show up just fine in photographs, and on film.

The reason that vampires don't have reflections in mirrors is that they don't have souls, and reflections show the soul (or something like that.) But you can still draw or paint a picture of a vampire you are looking at; nobody ever said that wasn't possible. Taking a photograph is the same. Actually, it's almost exactly the same as the way the image of the vampire is recorded on your retina (again, with the lenses and the receptive surface and the flavenfloyven), and you can see vampires. They aren't invisible; they just don't have reflections in mirrors, for metaphysical reasons.
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:39 pm UTC

Given that it is said that some people believe that photographs steal a little bit of your soul, I'm not sure if you can definitively refute the idea that vampires would not show up in photos.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:48 pm UTC

Angua wrote:Given that it is said that some people believe that photographs steal a little bit of your soul, I'm not sure if you can definitively refute the idea that vampires would not show up in photos.

Are there any cultures that believe(d) that and also had vampires? Or are we just supposing that, if vampires then everything?

Also: I'd never heard it as "a little bit of your soul", like maybe 0.1% of however much of your soul is intact prior to the photograph? Have 700 photographs taken and half your soul is gone, divvied up amongst the photographs?

EDIT: some people on the internet think this explains celebrities like the Kardashians...

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:13 pm UTC

mathmannix wrote:
Angua wrote:Given that it is said that some people believe that photographs steal a little bit of your soul, I'm not sure if you can definitively refute the idea that vampires would not show up in photos.

Are there any cultures that believe(d) that and also had vampires? Or are we just supposing that, if vampires then everything?

Also: I'd never heard it as "a little bit of your soul", like maybe 0.1% of however much of your soul is intact prior to the photograph? Have 700 photographs taken and half your soul is gone, divvied up amongst the photographs?

I think it's like when you check your credit score, it goes down a small amount temporarily. But since vampires have a credit score of 0 their image can't be recorded.

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:28 pm UTC

Mutex wrote:
mathmannix wrote:

I think it's like when you check your credit score, it goes down a small amount temporarily. But since vampires have a credit score of 0 their image can't be recorded.

And lo did St. Peter access Equifax and then Transunion and then Experian and he doth declare "You haven't a good enough credit history to live in this neighborhood. Back to the ungated suburbs of Purgatory for you."
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:01 pm UTC

All across the multiverse there are backward tribes who distrust mirrors and images because, they say, they steal a bit of a person's soul and there's only so much of a person to go around. And the people who wear more clothes say this is just superstition, despite the fact that other people who spend their lives appearing in images of one sort or another seem to develop a thin quality. It's put down to over-work, and, tellingly, over-exposure instead.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

addams

Postby addams » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:21 pm UTC

Tirian wrote:
Mutex wrote:
Sprocket wrote:

Obviously, the vampires (being immortal and wealthy) control the media, so everything you learned from Anne Rice or Stephanie Meyer is exactly what the vampires want you to believe about them. So that when you see a vampire in a mirror wearing a crucifix and eating garlic, you're lulled into a false sense of security. Wake up, sheeple!

True.
So, True.

Any human form that is Calm, Intelligent and Attractive is a Vampire.
!!Run!!
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster

Postby bentheimmigrant » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:31 am UTC

Whizbang wrote:At the tone, it will now be the future.

Beeeeep.

Blood-Dzraku could not be reached for comment.

Ha!
"Comment is free, but facts are sacred" - C.P. Scott

Mokurai

Postby Mokurai » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:48 pm UTC

Jahoclave wrote: Reality strongly suggests that everybody outside the U.S. is faking their existence. :wink:

The Glaroon is faking their existence. Yours, too. Robert A. Heinlein, They, 1941.

Or possibly the unnamed subject of Jonathan Hoag's unpleasant professional work. Heinlein again, The Unpleasant Profession of Jonathan Hoag, 1942.

Remember, Reality is a crutch.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:36 pm UTC

http://www.newsweek.com/homeless-millen ... ure-323151

The rise of the mobile Internet has made a hobo’s life easier, Nuke says. But when I ask Huck about how he and fellow travelers use their smartphones, I get the sense that even for the digitally connected homeless, life is far from easy. “I keep my phone off a lot, or in airplane mode,” he says, “because we can only charge up for a short time—maybe once a day, or sometimes it will be two to three days between charges, maybe an hour of charge.” For Huck and his fellow itinerants, smartphone usage is measured in instants. “We check Google Maps and then we turn it off, or we make a quick phone call and then we turn it off.”

TL;DR: How technology, in particular smartphones and free WiFi are affecting the new generation of Hobos. In essence, browsing for Craigslist jobs or checking the weather is extremely important for the homeless.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:06 pm UTC

Wait, what? How do they afford a $45 or more monthly plan? And don't you have to have a mailing address in order to have a phone? And a credit card to pay the bill online? Do they have credit cards too?

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:11 pm UTC

None of that is needed if the phones are prepaid. You can buy them with cash, and I imagine they would last quite a while if you only make the occasional call.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:15 pm UTC

I have a smartphone that I got for $50 and I pay $5 a month on pre-paid minutes. I think all but the most destitute could afford that.

In fact, I think it is absolutely ridiculous that people pay $500 for a phone and close to $100 for monthly service.

natraj

Postby natraj » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:59 pm UTC

you can also get prepaid debit cards that work just like credit cards.

it's also really not hard to just give someone else's address when signing up for things, seriously. most people who are homeless at least know people who aren't.
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:13 pm UTC

mathmannix wrote:Wait, what? How do they afford a $45 or more monthly plan? And don't you have to have a mailing address in order to have a phone? And a credit card to pay the bill online? Do they have credit cards too?

You're not thinking like a hobo.

They don't have data plans. They're connecting their smartphones to free WiFi scattered across the city. They probably sneak into Panera Bread / Starbucks, try to grab a corner where no one looks at them so they can steal some AC power to charge their phone, and then use the free WiFi to grab some information from online.

A cellphone (without a data plan) is the cheapest way to access the internet in today's world. You can find a smartphone literally in the trash today, with enough dumpster diving. How do you expect them to access the internet? Buy a laptop? Find a laptop?

Nah man, its about cell phones. There are also a couple of government programs to give cell phones out to poor people. I dunno if Hobo culture is aware of those programs however. (And I'm definitely in support of basic infrastructure given to hobos. A cell phone with 100 minutes will be a godsend for bootstrapping your life back together, and won't cost the government much money either)

natraj

Postby natraj » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:06 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:How do you expect them to access the internet? Buy a laptop? Find a laptop?

... lots (and i mean lots) of homeless people have laptops. i did, when i was homeless. most other homeless people in my generation (milennials) also do/did.

also, there are libraries all over that have free internet access.

also also, it's not hard to get a prepaid data plan and then combine that with using free wifi wherever you can to use as little of it as possible.
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:12 pm UTC

Thesh wrote:None of that is needed if the phones are prepaid. You can buy them with cash, and I imagine they would last quite a while if you only make the occasional call.

I used to do that. Prepaid phone, minimal use. Most require you put more minutes on them every three months. So, if you don't use them a lot, $20/3 months.

The modern day chasing of expensive new smartphones seems more an issue of style than practicality.

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:20 am UTC

mathmannix wrote:Wait, what? How do they afford a $45 or more monthly plan? And don't you have to have a mailing address in order to have a phone? And a credit card to pay the bill online? Do they have credit cards too?

Here, you can buy a phone, a SIM if it doesn't come with one, and top-up vouchers all with cash, no personal information needed.
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

Thanks for the molpish wig ggh!
he/him/his

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:22 pm UTC

natraj wrote:
KnightExemplar wrote:How do you expect them to access the internet? Buy a laptop? Find a laptop?

... lots (and i mean lots) of homeless people have laptops. i did, when i was homeless. most other homeless people in my generation (milennials) also do/did.

also, there are libraries all over that have free internet access.

also also, it's not hard to get a prepaid data plan and then combine that with using free wifi wherever you can to use as little of it as possible.

Point taken.

rath358
The bone of my bone

Postby rath358 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:24 pm UTC

wait, you guys are telling me that now I can't decide what should be in poor people's shopping carts OR in hobos pockets? How am I supposed to smugly judge them and rest assured that their shitty situation is entirely because of their poor impulse control?

sardia

Postby sardia » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:44 pm UTC

rath358 wrote:wait, you guys are telling me that now I can't decide what should be in poor people's shopping carts OR in hobos pockets? How am I supposed to smugly judge them and rest assured that their shitty situation is entirely because of their poor impulse control?

You drug test them for food stamps, and denigrate them through that. If we did the same to those poor rural states taking federal largesse, they would cry wolf about big bad government oppression.

jewish_scientist

Postby jewish_scientist » Sun May 03, 2015 9:27 pm UTC

addams wrote:
Tirian wrote:
Mutex wrote:
Sprocket wrote:

True.
So, True.

Any human form that is Calm, Intelligent and Attractive is a Vampire.
!!Run!!

I have NO idea how this conversation started, but I am SO glad that it did. Also, I think that the post office offers free P.O. boxes for homeless people.
"You are not running off with Cow-Skull Man Dracula Skeletor!"
-Socrates

Eshru

Postby Eshru » Sun May 03, 2015 10:37 pm UTC

addams wrote:^^That was good.
I like the part about The Future Neighborhood Fission Plant.

Should we plan for that?

Apparently, no we shouldn't? sure it isn't fission (obviously) but as long as it can serve our needs I don't see us putting the kind of effort into fission that would be required for it to become a reality.

KittenKaboodle

Postby KittenKaboodle » Mon May 04, 2015 6:02 am UTC

Eshru wrote:
addams wrote:^^That was good.
I like the part about The Future Neighborhood Fission Plant.

Should we plan for that?

Apparently, no we shouldn't? sure it isn't fission (obviously) but as long as it can serve our needs I don't see us putting the kind of effort into fission that would be required for it to become a reality.

Just for clarity, I was miss-quoted, I wrote: "Or the neighborhood fusion power plant, but even if you are still living in 50 years, that fusion plant will still be 50 years in the future" as a snark about some reported technology which may exist in some future future but I seriously doubt it actually exists in the future we are living in now. Neighborhood (or a reactor in your basement) fission plants are from maybe the '50s or so, I remember reading about them in old (but not so very old at the time) issues of magazines at the library (along with the flying cars, lunar colonies and jet packs). Fission = past, fusion = perpetually in the future, well, except for that one really big reactor Musk wants to utilize.

Rereading this, it looks like Eshru read what I actually meant into addams' quote, 'cause, fission is reality, right this very minute! Sure there is concern about safety and nuclear waste, which would take a lot of effort to solve (a solution that would be in the future, if ever) but fission power is happening now (or my dyslexia is really screwing with me)

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Mon May 04, 2015 9:30 am UTC

Development of nuclear fusion is going much slower than people thought 50 years ago, but calling it 'perpetually 50 years away' is misleading. ITER is expected to be completed in 2019, that's just 4 years away. Of course having a first functioning reactor is not the same thing as mass industrial scale application, but still, we're getting there. And the main reason it's going so slowly is lack of budget. The sad part is that something like ITER actually could have been completed in the 90s, if funding for fusion research hadn't been hugely slashed in the 80s.

Solar and wind are dropping in price so fast that perhaps fusion isn't as interesting as it used to be any more. Wind has limited capacity, but solar is good enough to keep our civilization growing for the foreseeable future. Of course in the long run we still want fusion, but we can afford it taking another 50 years. That's rather comforting.

Very relevant for this topic is Tesla's move into energy. Eshru's link talks about that, but it's such an important development it deserves explicit mention in this topic. Tesla is going to sell 10 KWh batteries for $3500. That 's a huge drop in price, which is a huge deal for solar. On the consumer side, this means that with $10,000 in panels plus one of these babies you can be completely self-sufficient, instead of having to rely on the net during the night. On the industrial side, the production numbers Tesla is throwing around are huge. Utility companies will be able to buy off the shelf setups with tens of thousands of these, reducing their own necessary peak capacity.

According to Elon Musk we'd need around 2 billion of these batteries to switch the entire world's power supply to solar. Not just electricity but all energy. That's actually pretty achievable. Seven trillion USD for the entire world over 20 or so years is almost small change. Presumably we also need the actual solar panels to generate the electricity though.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Mon May 04, 2015 11:27 am UTC

Development of nuclear fusion is going much slower than people thought 50 years ago, but calling it 'perpetually 50 years away' is misleading. ITER is expected to be completed in 2019, that's just 4 years away. Of course having a first functioning reactor is not the same thing as mass industrial scale application, but still, we're getting there. And the main reason it's going so slowly is lack of budget. The sad part is that something like ITER actually could have been completed in the 90s, if funding for fusion research hadn't been hugely slashed in the 80s.

I don't think that adds up. The big slash was in the US. In current dollars, they had a magnetic confinement fusion budget of about a billion dollar/year from the mid 70s to the mid 80s. Far more than everyone else. And by the end of that period, a working fusion plant was as far away as they thought it would be when they started the program. They then reduced the budget to about 300 billion. Back to 500 million for the last years, including its ITER share.

If they had kept the budget constant, there would have been (order of magnitude) 10 billion 2015 doller extra budget for magnetic confinement fusion up to the year 2000. Which was indeed supposed to be more than enough to build something like ITER.

But ITER projected costs are now about 20 billion current dollars. Count on more cost overruns and delays, based on its history. That is including all the advances made since the 1980s. In fusion technology itself, but also in other fields. As examples: computer modelling, superconducting magnets and power electronics made big leaps since those days. If it takes 20 billion dollar nowadays to build ITER, it would have cost much more money (and time) yet in the 1990s. An extra 10 billion from the US over that time period would have helped, but not enough to get to a full ITER in 2000.

In the years since 2000, our alternative-history US budget would have generated another 10 billion compared to the actual baseline. Perhaps that would have been enough to get to a working ITER by today, especially if we we imagine that other countries would also have shifted their planned ITER budgets forward in time if the US had put in more.

To get there, we have to imagine that the US (already disappointed with fusion in 1985) would have kept up its commitment for another 30 years. Still with the carrot of competitive electricity production off in the distant future. As it is, I am somewhat surprised that ITER is getting there as fast as is, instead of even slower. We're talking decades on decades of large investments, towards an uncertain and far-off result. After all, even today we have no clue whether an eventual actually-existing fusion plant will be attractive to build and run, compared to the alternatives.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Mon May 04, 2015 12:06 pm UTC

Good points Zamfir. I guess I did word it too strongly. ITER in the 90s would indeed not have been feasible even without budget cuts. Still, those cuts certainly didn't help, and slowed down research a lot.

Anyway, the main point I was trying to make is twofold: 1) Fusion research is going slow, but it is still going forward. We will get there, eventually. 2) Development of fusion is not as urgent as it seemed to be a decade or longer ago. Solar is shaping up to be a really good alternative for the foreseeable future.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Mon May 04, 2015 3:21 pm UTC

So, evidently there are forks, spoons, and pens that have been developed that vibrate to counteract Parkinson's shaking. So cool.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/podca ... _syn_RDFRS

Link to video of spoon.

Video of pen (4min)

krogoth

Postby krogoth » Tue May 05, 2015 12:37 am UTC

[quote="Zamfir"][quote]
Never trust a physicist to do a budget, I remember a conference,
Neil deGrasse Tyson, Lawrence Krauss & Bill Nye - Our Future In Space, on youtube, it's duplicated so twice as long, plus a little bit somehow.
Physicists are terrible at estimating costs apparently, sometimes off by an order of magnitude. I think they kept underestimating because they don't take into account failures and not directly related costs like transport, mail, admin ect
R3sistance - I don't care at all for the ignorance spreading done by many and to the best of my abilities I try to correct this as much as I can, but I know and understand that even I can not be completely honest, truthful and factual all of the time.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Tue May 05, 2015 4:38 pm UTC

krogoth wrote:
Zamfir wrote:
Never trust a physicist to do a budget, I remember a conference,
Neil deGrasse Tyson, Lawrence Krauss & Bill Nye - Our Future In Space, on youtube, it's duplicated so twice as long, plus a little bit somehow.
Physicists are terrible at estimating costs apparently, sometimes off by an order of magnitude. I think they kept underestimating because they don't take into account failures and not directly related costs like transport, mail, admin ect

It's common in many fields, but it's particularly common when developing something new or untried. It's not that physicists are special in this...other fields like software engineering have similar challenges.

KrytenKoro

Postby KrytenKoro » Tue May 05, 2015 10:57 pm UTC

I always heard the mirror thing was because mirrors used silver, and silver was a symbol of purity which would erase vampires (as with werewolves). So, kind of a symptom of purity working against you, unless you were smart enough to know how to use it.
From the elegant yelling of this compelling dispute comes the ghastly suspicion my opposition's a fruit.

Tirian

Postby Tirian » Sat May 09, 2015 9:53 pm UTC

Computer essentially ties champion humans at one-on-one no-limit Texas Hold 'Em

Pretty exciting news on the AI front, since poker isn't a game where you can brute force your way through the game tree. If the team can figure out multiplayer online Hold 'Em, Carnegie Mellon won't have any trouble endowing itself for the rest of time.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Sat May 09, 2015 10:35 pm UTC

This could kill poker in online casinos, making it really frustrating for pretty much everyone.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Mon May 11, 2015 4:03 pm UTC

According to Carnegie Mellon, the pros' combined $732,000 lead in fake money makes it a statistical tie.

I don't follow why it would be a statistical tie. Can someone help?

Return to “News & Articles”