The Darker Side of the News

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

sardia

Re: The Darker Side of the News

Postby sardia » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:24 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:
sardia wrote:Coyne, just because a lot of people are criminals doesn't means it's OK. In addition, independent doctors don't screw you as badly. So there's that. Lastly, it's not like they provide the same or better care, is worse care for more money.

Please don't be naive.

My sister worked for an independent optometrist. IIRC, her boss was good, but he pointed out many other doctors in the area who would convince his patients into unnecessary surgeries to collect extra insurance bills. He listed them off by name, as it it is a known fact that these various doctors do this... well... at least in medical circles. Obviously, his patients trust him and go into these unnecessary surgeries. And the doctor makes bank off of the insurance payments.

The core issue is the Principal Agent Problem. IE: You don't know what your doctor knows (by definition. You're hiring the doctor for his knowledge). So you don't know if you need particular health care, or if the doctor is screwing you in some way.

The Affordable Care Act attempts to solve the problem with consumer-driven high-deductible health care plans. But Obama's solution only works if we individuals start doing research on our doctors and take responsibility for what our doctors do. (And it encourages us to figure out a solution, by making us pay for the first thousand+ dollars of own health care)

IE: The Affordable Care Act's solution "punts" the problem to the individual. By the way laws are written now... it is now the consumer's responsibility to choose the correct doctors and figure out pricing information.

Spoiler:
Perhaps more accurately, the tax incentives towards Consumer Driven High-deductible health care plans encourages customers to do their own research. In any case, The Affordable Care Act says "its your problem now", and hopes that consumers will start to pay attention to their doctors / health care costs moree.

Don't insult the messenger,
http://www.nber.org/papers/w21497?utm_c ... source=ntw
I'm just posting about a study. If you have anecdotes about independent doctors screwing patients, what does that tell us about who gives better care? Does that imply the study is wrong? Or too limited? You only avoid the topic by calling out all doctors as potential criminals.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:45 pm UTC

For that study in particular... Medicare is a sore spot for a lot of doctors. A lot of doctors don't want to take Medicare Patients because the Medicare system doesn't pay the doctor the same amount as the typical consumer.

IIRC, Doctors will NOT pass a Medicare Patient to their friends or peers. They know they don't have the money, and that it isn't worth their friend's time to see the patient.

I don't work in the medical field, so I'd like someone who does to double-check the above opinion. But as far as I'm aware, that is the "culture" of today's doctors. Its probably easier to pass off the unwanted Medicare patient to a hospital / corporation than it is to pass them off to a peer.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:42 pm UTC

Hospitals want to control the whole chain of content, much like Apple does. It stands to reason that doctors linked to hospitals will admit there. And the patient knows it. And there is no such thing as an independent doctor in so far as admissions are concerned. You have to have privileges, and hospitals court doctors no matter their affiliation. I don't believe that doctors are any more or less honest than society at large. I do believe that there are incentives in play that aren't immediately apparent to the patient.

Consolidation has been going on for some time. Free standing, unaffiliated hospitals are fast becoming a memory. There are perhaps a dozen or more hospitals in my area, but only three separate operating entities.
KnightExemplar wrote:IIRC, Doctors will NOT pass a Medicare Patient to their friends or peers. They know they don't have the money, and that it isn't worth their friend's time to see the patient.
I don't know if this is preciesly true or not, but this article might provide a little clarity, maybe.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:33 pm UTC

morriswalters wrote:
KnightExemplar wrote:IIRC, Doctors will NOT pass a Medicare Patient to their friends or peers. They know they don't have the money, and that it isn't worth their friend's time to see the patient.
I don't know if this is preciesly true or not, but this article might provide a little clarity, maybe.

Again, I don't work in the health field, but the doctors / nurses I know have never claimed that Medicare would "bankrupt" them. The general claim I see was alluded to at the beginning of that article / blog post.

“If you look at surveys from medical societies, physicians are already restricting access to Medicare patients because they lose less money by leaving the slot empty than taking the Medicare patient.

I dunno about "lose less money", but it seems to be closer to "Medicare Patients aren't worth my time". The comparison between "empty slots" and "Medicare Patients" is quite common, with 100% of the medical professionals I know personally preferring the empty slot. I've always figured it was a price/performance calculation. Empty slots are useful for buffering when one patient takes an unexpected amount of time, or leaving room for an emergency / urgent situation.

I think I can agree that "Medicare Patients will Bankrupt me" is a hyperbole. Doctors make a lot of money after all... and Medicare still pays doctors who take care of poor patients. But it doesn't change the fact that the overriding opinion in the medical field is that Medicare Patients aren't worth their time. At least, among the people I know personally (various nurses mostly FYI).
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Mambrino

Postby Mambrino » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:17 pm UTC

David Cameron wrote:The Labour Party is now a threat to our national security, our economic security and your family's security.

Last time I posted here something about UK government's scary concepts about existential threats to the UK, the topic was ISIS.

Today it's apparently the (leader of) Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition. I'm positively befuddled.

Link to Guardian (couldn't find anything on BBC)

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:54 am UTC

...And your face.

I seriously thought that was a spoof account when someone shared it on facebook.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:10 am UTC

Mambrino wrote:
David Cameron wrote:The Labour Party is now a threat to our national security, our economic security and your family's security me.

FTFY.

It might be just me, but this sort of alarmist rhetoric about the leader of the opposition seems highly prejudicial to the effective operation of a parliamentary democracy, however much one agrees or disagrees with Jeremy Corbyn's political views.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:14 am UTC

The mirror had a good article on why they're saying it. Basically, security is the new buzzword of the Tories and they're trying to make everyone else seem like a gamble.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/david-cameron-called-jeremy-corbyn-6435223#ICID=sharebar_twitter
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:32 am UTC

Angua wrote:Basically, security is the new buzzword of the Tories and they're trying to make everyone else seem like a gamble.

New? More like "newly back in style". From 2001-2008 "national security" was the buzzword of pretty much everyone trying to make their viewpoints politically unquestionable. Then from 2008-2012 it was "in the current economic climate", then it was talk about "ensuring economic recovery", now with ISIS and the refugee crisis "security" is once again the easiest way to use fear as a tool of manipulation.

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:23 am UTC

Mambrino wrote:Last time I posted here something about UK government's scary concepts about existential threats to the UK, the topic was ISIS.

Today it's apparently the (leader of) Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition.

In Cameron's defense, ISIS is far away while Labour is close, and well-organized in the UK. They have large-scale recruitment drives, often targetted at young people. Corbyn for example was recruited in high school.

And their British command structure is largely intact, despite recent internal struggles. For all the fuss about drone attacks, Obama has yet to make a serious impact on their capacities.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:04 am UTC

I admit I am curious though about the veracity of the Tory claims made about Corbyn here. The third one seems clear enough, and nothing wrong there (Not sure if I agree, but "Let's not have nukes" is hardly extremist). But the first two are curious. I don't doubt those quotes are taken out of context. I'm just wondering what the original context was.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:20 am UTC

Echo244

Postby Echo244 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:57 am UTC

Quercus wrote:It might be just me, but this sort of alarmist rhetoric about the leader of the opposition seems highly prejudicial to the effective operation of a parliamentary democracy, however much one agrees or disagrees with Jeremy Corbyn's political views.

Well, yes, but then again, alarmist rhetoric is the go-to tool for any situation that might involve a change from the comfortable Westminster somewhat-consensus on economics, foreign policy, defence etc. etc. See also: much of the language used before the election about a Labour-SNP coalition. Corbyn's election as leader is very much a change to that consensus.

And it's alarmist precisely because those who believe in these things are aware of the consequences of change. To pick a single issue, replacing Trident will be a colossal investment if it happens; building a new programme from somewhat-scratch after a 5-10 year period of having abandoned it would be larger again, never mind the wider foreign policy implications of re-arming. To those who believe Britain should be nuclear armed, giving up Trident is going to be a one-way trip into a terrifying new world where we don't have an ultimate deterrent usable in much less than 45 minutes...
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:49 pm UTC

Coyne wrote:
Grop wrote:
Tyndmyr wrote:You often cannot even get a price quote before getting service. Seriously, most hospitals do not publish prices. They may not charge people the same price for the same service, even.

When people say free market, they generallymean free from government control. Unless the hospitals you are talking about are completely controlled by government, this is a feature of free market. If laws compelled hospitals to be consistent about prices, that would make the market less free.

Except that in the current environment, that freedom from regulation is asymmetric: corporations seek regulatory freedom for themselves, regulatory bondage for their customers and competitors. That is not really a free market; and since that is the goal of much corporatist strategy, I feel safe in saying that when they enthusiastically seek a "free market", they don't mean what Adam Smith meant.

Yet they represent that they are in fact seeking the "Adam Smith" free market; hence my accusation of double-speak.

In no sense is the current market free. Not from any participants perspective.

The idea that hospitals and other providers are free from regulation is laughable.

Insurance, same same.

Individual buyer, again...The whole insurance system seriously reduces options, and you're pretty much required to have that.

If a corporation uses the term incorrectly, it is fair to mock them. However, in this case, you're merely using "corporations" as a straw man, as an excuse for you using the same term incorrectly.

elasto

Postby elasto » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:40 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:In no sense is the current market free. Not from any participants perspective.

If you think the US system is not a free market, what do you call the UK system where the government literally owns the buildings, pays the staff wages (including most of the cost of university training), pays all the running costs, decides what drugs will be bought and so on?

Obviously no healthcare market is perfectly free - that would be a literal anarchy. Relatively speaking though, your market is quite free.

Actually, in my opinion it is just about the worst of all possible worlds: I'm not convinced that the government intervention that you do have is particularly efficient or effective at achieving its goals. Just because I believe in government intervention in general, it doesn't mean a particular kind can't make the situation far worse. Honestly, I'm too far removed to know if, for example, The Affordable Care Act is overall a good thing, a bad thing, or just a blah.

I'd never claim the UK system is the best in the world either. But I do think it's far better than the US model for those outside of, say, the top 20% of earners. (And the UK system is pretty good for the top 20% of earners here too, since they can choose public or private, but I don't think there's any doubt that if you're in that top tier, that the treatment you'll receive in the US is the best in the world.)

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:58 pm UTC

elasto wrote:
Tyndmyr wrote:In no sense is the current market free. Not from any participants perspective.

If you think the US system is not a free market, what do you call the UK system where the government literally owns the buildings, pays the staff wages (including most of the cost of university training), pays all the running costs, decides what drugs will be bought and so on?

Obviously no healthcare market is perfectly free - that would be a literal anarchy. Relatively speaking though, your market is quite free.

Also not free. There are many ways to make a market unfree.

And yes, as you say, not all ways of making a market less free are equal.

Actually, in my opinion it is just about the worst of all possible worlds: I'm not convinced that the government intervention that you do have is particularly efficient or effective at achieving its goals. Just because I believe in government intervention in general, it doesn't mean a particular kind can't make the situation far worse. Honestly, I'm too far removed to know if, for example, The Affordable Care Act is overall a good thing, a bad thing, or just a blah.

I'm a little biased, but I'm still peeved over having my excellent insurance axed thanks to the ACA, and having to swap over to much more expensive insurance. Modestly so in terms of fees, ludicrously so in terms of actual use.

But yeah, when massive changes like that are happening, and are not my decision...at that point, it's no longer even vaguely close to free. Sure, no market is perfect. Everything has information gaps, stuff like that...but at the end of the day, if I'm deciding between brands of turkey to eat, I am fairly free. I might not know *everything*, but it's pretty easy to at least be basically informed on all the things at the local supermarkets, and decide to try this brand instead of my usual today. Not a lot of cost or difficulty associated with changing.

Medical care is entirely unlike that. Insurance is dictated by company and/or government. Insurance dictates care, in large part. I mean, sure, there's, in theory, a ton of potential care available if one can arbitrarily pay cash up front for everything. But for the vast majority of people, that's unrealistic. They simply can't afford it, especially when already paying out for mandated insurance.

ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb

Postby ObsessoMom » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:05 pm UTC

It's funny, until it's not:

Little Kids Getting Drunk on Yummy Hand Sanitizers

While beer and wine tend to contain about 5% and 12% alcohol, respectively, hand sanitizer can range from 45% to 95%, a concentration so high that just a few squirts can actually cause alcohol poisoning.

HungryHobo

Postby HungryHobo » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:35 pm UTC

huh, don't they include bittering agents in hand sanitiser like they do in industrial alcohol, white spirits and meths?
Give a man a fish, he owes you one fish. Teach a man to fish, you give up your monopoly on fisheries.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:45 am UTC

All the hand sanitisers I've met are awful, you have to wash your hands properly with soap before eating anything otherwise you get the taste on your sandwich as well.
GNU Terry Pratchett

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:27 pm UTC

Angua wrote:All the hand sanitisers I've met are awful, you have to wash your hands properly with soap before eating anything otherwise you get the taste on your sandwich as well.

Yes, most of them are bitter as fuck, but you can get some which both smell nice and doesn't taste goddamn awful cause people were complaining and those are occasionally, and ironically maybe, often marketed towards parents (kids).
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

sardia

Postby sardia » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:43 pm UTC

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/ ... -oversight
Red Cross tries to shut down Congressional investigation against it by asking Congressmen off the record. The head of the Red Cross "McGovern gave the congressman her private cellphone number and asked that he not communicate with her in writing."

Just another reminder that the RedCross is full of it, and it hasn't gotten better.

elasto

Postby elasto » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:59 pm UTC

The Guardian wrote:A teenage boy in North Carolina has been prosecuted for having nude pictures of himself on his own mobile phone. The young man, who is now 17 but was 16 at the time the photos were discovered, had to strike a plea deal to avoid potentially going to jail and being registered as a sex offender.

Experts condemned the case as ludicrous. The boy was, however, punished by the courts, and had to agree to be subject to warrantless searches by law enforcement for a year, in addition to other penalties. The young man was also named in the media and suffered a suspension as quarterback of his high school football team while the case was being resolved.

Cormega Copening, of Fayetteville, North Carolina, was prosecuted as an adult under federal child pornography felony laws, for sexually exploiting a minor. The minor was himself.

“It’s dysfunctional to be charged with possession of your own image,” said Justin Patchin, a professor of criminal justice at the University of Wisconsin and co-founder of the research website cyberbullying.org.

Copening was charged with four counts of making and possessing images of himself and one count of possessing a naked image of his 16-year-old girlfriend. His girlfriend, Brianna Denson, took a plea deal after being prosecuted on similar charges for having naked, suggestive pictures of herself on her cellphone.

While the pictures were technically illegal, actual sex would not be – the age of consent for sexual intercourse in North Carolina is 16.

The pictures were discovered on Copening’s phone when authorities were investigating a wider problem of sexual images allegedly being shared at school without the permission of the subjects involved. Copening turned out not to be involved in that case.

He was prosecuted for having his own and his girlfriend’s image, despite them not having been shared further. Copening and Denson’s court cases were ostensibly about “sexting” – the sending of sexually explicit material by text message – but the main charges related to them making and keeping their own images.

The legal bind came because the two were over 16 and so could be charged as adults in North Carolina, as is common with some felonies – but the crimes they were being charged with related to laws against sexually exploiting minors.

Each was therefore simultaneously the adult perpetrator who is considered a predator and the minor victim who needs protecting by the law.

“There are about 10 or 12 mostly conservative states where they will prosecute kids for this,” said Lane, “and it’s a kind of moral values thing – they are trying to make an example of them because it’s believed to be inappropriate behaviour. There is a streak of moralizing that runs through this country that is disturbing sometimes.”

In July, Denson took a plea deal and admitted a misdemeanour. Felony charges were dropped. She was put on probation for a year, technically for exploiting herself by making and having a naked image of herself.

She was ordered to pay $200 in court costs, stay in school, refrain from using illegal drugs and alcohol, take a class in making good decisions and do 30 hours of community services. She will not be allowed to have a cellphone for a year.

In September, Copening took a similar plea deal. If both comply with the terms of their deals, then their records will be wiped after a year.

Jeff Temple, a psychology expert at the University of Texas Medical Branch, has conducted research suggesting that 30% of teens “sext” each other. He called for “common sense” from the authorities. Temple said that if states used their laws literally, “tens of thousands of kids would be in jail and registered as sex offenders”.

link

All these decades on and it's like the sexual revolution never happened in some places...

addams

Postby addams » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:16 pm UTC

A year without a cell phone will have dramatic and long lasting effects on that teenage girl.

Yes. Attacking a teen for sexually exploiting him/her self in private is dang dumb and might belong in Funny News.
I seem to remember the 4th amendment covering this sort of thing. The PAT ACT did away with the 4th and 5th.

The poor babies.
And; Poor the rest of us.

A person could have a beautiful and tasteful nude as a piece of primary art inside their home. I did.

With todays technology our people can at ninety years old, when time and gravity have have altered their appearance,
Have a truly beautiful nude selfie to help validate an old person's sense of long life and self worth.

Of course, Hundreds of thousands of tasteless, ugly, sexually provocative selfies will harvest a handful of classic beauties.

Asking Teens experiencing a time in life when they are physically stunningly attractive
to not notice and attempt to preserve the moment seems unfair to me.

Those photos were never uploaded to the internet?

Damn It!
You are correct;
It's dark news.

At times like this we need the Wisdom of Solomon.
What we get are undereducated, narrow minded ding-dongs
doing their best with what little wisdom and light they have.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Grop

Postby Grop » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:19 pm UTC

Such a crazy place: where pictures of yourself count as a minor's, but where you can be condemned as an adult :o.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:03 pm UTC

OK, that should never have been a plea deal. The kid should have instead turned around and said "here's my plea bargain for you; You drop the case, I don't go to the media and make you a laughingstock".

HungryHobo

Postby HungryHobo » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:52 pm UTC

Sometimes... sometimes I wonder what it would be like to get in a time machine and go back 2 or 3 decades and present people with a mixture of real and onion news stories and try to make them guess which ended up being reality.

I distinctly remember reading a jokey comment on slashdot which proposed this exact outcome when there were some changes being made to the laws about 15 years ago.
Give a man a fish, he owes you one fish. Teach a man to fish, you give up your monopoly on fisheries.

addams

Postby addams » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:00 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:OK, that should never have been a plea deal. The kid should have instead turned around and said "here's my plea bargain for you; You drop the case, I don't go to the media and make you a laughingstock".

Hey!
Think about the poor kid!
His Dick is on the line!

What 17 year old man is not tempted to take a photo of Mr, Happy?
This one may Not want it on every media outlet in the Western World.

As it is, his Mom's seen it.
Jeese. Poor man.

I wonder; Did his Mom laugh?
She will, one day. I hope.

Besides, as most of us know,
When dealing with US Police the Power does not reside in the hands of The People.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:22 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:OK, that should never have been a plea deal. The kid should have instead turned around and said "here's my plea bargain for you; You drop the case, I don't go to the media and make you a laughingstock".
What, and just roll the dice on being found guilty? I wouldn't take those odds.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

Grop

Postby Grop » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:00 pm UTC

Anyway it is already unfair to have minors make such choices.

sardia

Postby sardia » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:11 am UTC

ahammel wrote:
What, and just roll the dice on being found guilty? I wouldn't take those odds.

This only works if you're white...and rich. Statistical data shows you minorities and poor people are convicted more often and longer for the same accusations. So unless people are willing to claim all black people are criminals, there's racism afoot.

addams

Postby addams » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:18 am UTC

Is the sexting couple not white?
(I didn't see the photos.)

Teens that do that can be any color or nationality under the sun.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:45 am UTC

In happier news from Afghanistan, the US military turns a blind eye to the rape of small boys by Afghan militias. Wait, that's the opposite of happy.

addams

Postby addams » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:44 am UTC

'They' say, "War is Hell".
Sometimes, 'They' know what they are talking about.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

sardia

Postby sardia » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:52 am UTC

Volkswagen admits to defrauding consumers and the government on their Diesel cars.
Volkswagen executives told environmental regulators for more than a year that discrepancies between pollution tests on its diesel cars and the starkly higher levels out on the road were a technical error, not a deliberate attempt to deceive Washington officials.

But this month, the executives made a startling admission: The diesel vehicles it sold in the United States used software meant to cheat on the tests.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/22/busin ... .html?_r=0
Apparently the superior performance of diesel cars for everyday people is a complete lie. All the performance gains come from not reducing emissions. If you turn on the emission controls, performance suffers.

Interesting side note, the Highway Safety administration can only charge 35,000,000$, but the EPA can apparently charge up to $2,000,000,000 and/or forbid the company from selling cars in the US. Notice the disparity of power between agencies due to lobbying by opposing organizations.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:53 am UTC

Horrible rich person actually gets jail time after killing people:

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/201 ... a-outbreak

"Stewart Parnell absolutely knew that they were shipping salmonella-tainted peanut butter. They knew it, and they covered it up," says Bill Marler, a food safety lawyer who represented some of the victims.

Before and during the outbreak, company executives assured customers that their products were free of salmonella when no tests had been carried out.

And when tests did turn up salmonella, company executives sometimes just retested that batch, and when it came up clean, they sold it.

In one memorable e-mail exchange, when Parnell was told that a shipment was delayed because results of salmonella tests weren't yet available, he wrote back, "Just ship it."

Last year, Parnell and two other people involved PCA's peanut business were convicted of criminal charges that included fraud, obstruction of justice, and selling adulterated food.

These were almost unprecedented charges in the food industry, and Marler says that executives in other companies are paying close attention. "The arrest of Stewart Parnell, his conviction on these felony counts, and his sentence have put a very big chill in the boardrooms of corporate America," he says.

The Peanut Corporation of America is no longer in business.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

sardia

Postby sardia » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:26 am UTC

http://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2 ... e-bergdahl
Remember the guy who ran away from an army base only to get captured by the Taliban? Turns out he's not a deserter, just a delusional moron.

addams

Postby addams » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:20 am UTC

sardia wrote:http://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2015/09/24/443071030/the-very-strange-case-of-sgt-bowe-bergdahl
Remember the guy who ran away from an army base only to get captured by the Taliban? Turns out he's not a deserter, just a delusional moron.

Good Grief.
I hope they do not court-martial that poor delusional man and throw him onto the streets of the US
to add to the population of Homeless Mentally Ill.That population is plenty large enough, now.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:57 am UTC

Two men jumped a third man at a gas station in Houston, TX, Saturday night, with the apparent intention of carjacking his truck. A good Samaritan vigilante intervened, firing after the departing truck, which was found soon after and had blood inside. The victim of the car jacking was wounded in the head.

So far so good...and then we learn the rest of the story.

It appears that the victim of the carjacking was accidentally shot by the good Samaritan vigilante, while he was shooting at the carjackers. For some odd reason, the Samaritan vigilante did not stick around; the police are looking to question him.
Last edited by Coyne on Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:54 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
In all fairness...

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:18 am UTC

Not so much a good Samaritan as an insane one.

Firing after a departing truck when the person you're trying to help is inside defeats all logic and common sense.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:29 am UTC

I also question the logic of opening fire at a gas station. Maybe it's not as bad as movies would suggest, but still, it seems like a bad idea. Maybe everyone being armed is a bad idea.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Return to “News & Articles”