The Darker Side of the News

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Re: The Darker Side of the News

Postby Sableagle » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:12 pm UTC

Well, somewhere for them to go would be a nice add-on. Ideally, somewhere they wouldn't have to travel far to reach and wouldn't feel utterly displaced or lost being. Maybe somewhere in Syria, constructed to modern standards with sustainability and low cost of living high priorities, protected by a neutral police force inside and neutral military outside and including things like schools, sports grounds and medical facilities, would be a good use of some of the money that's going to have to get spent on the surviving refugees somewhere anyway. It'd turn "We can't do anything without attacking Russians" into "the Russians can't attack these people without attacking us too."

I'd say I hope we can learn from it, too, but then I realise we have learned ... not to bother saying "Never again" any more because it does happen again and we don't prevent it. I don't hope this ruins everyone's Christmas, but if people could remember it afterwards as having been a terrible time and actually persuade our governments not to ... oh, bomb Iran back to the bronze age because half a dozen Somalians and Libyan working for a group based in Chad blew up Nelson's Column, or something ... that might help, too, in the sense of not creating another situation like this.

Kind of depends on someone being and continuing to be viewed as neutral by all parties, doesn't it? Is that even possible?

Also depends on money, but ...
Premier League Top 10 earners (£ (€) per week before tax, estimated)

Wayne Rooney - £260,000 (€358,861)
Sergio Aguero - £240,000 (€331,359)
Yaya Toure - £240,000 (€331,359)
Eden Hazard - £220,000 (€303,652)
David Silva - £200,000 (€276,063)
Mesut Özil - £190,000 (€262,212)
Raheem Sterling - £180,000 (€248,411)
Cesc Fabregas - £170,000 (€234,611)
Kevin de Bruyne - £170,000 (€234,611)
John Terry - £160,000 (€220,850)

... between them they could give £2M/wk and they'd still each be better paid than anyone I know. That's one eighth of a billion dollars a year, which wouldn't fund مدينة مصدر inside any of their lifetimes, but it's money people were willing to pay for branded rucksacks and t-shirts, season tickets and sports channels on TV.

4.35M outside, 12.8M inside, total 17.15M or thereabouts, so 10p per refugee per week. It doesn't sound like much because it isn't much, but ...
Funding shortages mean that the most vulnerable Syrian refugees in Lebanon receive just $13.50 per month or less than half a dollar a day for food assistance.
... "not much" is still a pretty big percentage of "not very much."

Three years until our next general election campaign kicks off. By then I doubt anyone enough people will be printing lists of MPs who voted against helping and urging their constituents not to re-elect them. We still have people who supported the Iraq invasion in power and "representing" us. Nah, we'll elect whoever Dacre and Murdoch tell us to elect.

I wonder who's getting rich from all this.
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

WibblyWobbly
Can't Get No

Postby WibblyWobbly » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:17 pm UTC

Sableagle wrote:... between them they could give £2M/wk and they'd still each be better paid than anyone I know. That's one eighth of a billion dollars a year, which wouldn't fund مدينة مصدر inside any of their lifetimes, but it's money people were willing to pay for branded rucksacks and t-shirts, season tickets and sports channels on TV.

Apologies for asking a small question, but what is "مدينة مصدر"?

Edit: I think I understand, but if you don't mind a quick context explanation?

elasto

Postby elasto » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:41 pm UTC

Sableagle wrote:Well, somewhere for them to go would be a nice add-on. Ideally, somewhere they wouldn't have to travel far to reach and wouldn't feel utterly displaced or lost being. Maybe somewhere in Syria, constructed to modern standards with sustainability and low cost of living high priorities, protected by a neutral police force inside and neutral military outside and including things like schools, sports grounds and medical facilities, would be a good use of some of the money that's going to have to get spent on the surviving refugees somewhere anyway. It'd turn "We can't do anything without attacking Russians" into "the Russians can't attack these people without attacking us too."

If done inside Syria, it's not simply an invasion but an annexation of sovereign land. You'd basically have to have a new government installed to run all that infrastructure.

I mean, it's done with the best possible intentions but it's a basically the strongest declaration of war possible, and who knows the wider geopolitical ramifications of doing so.

Still, if done with the permission of the host nation, it's hard to find fault with the idea.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:50 pm UTC

WibblyWobbly wrote:
Sableagle wrote:... between them they could give £2M/wk and they'd still each be better paid than anyone I know. That's one eighth of a billion dollars a year, which wouldn't fund مدينة مصدر inside any of their lifetimes, but it's money people were willing to pay for branded rucksacks and t-shirts, season tickets and sports channels on TV.

Similar concept but being built near a major airport in Dubai, which is a rather more expensive location than the coastline of Syria.

Yes, having Assad on-side for the idea would be essential. You'd also have to have the Kurds' and Russians' support and some good reason to believe the Turks wouldn't try to sabotage it.

The BBC pays a dickhead speed freak petrol-head a huge amount of money to muck around in very expensive cars, trash-talk more efficient ones and encourage people to ignore speed limits and other safety precautions and laws and so on, people worship him, the idea that the more powerful your car's engine is the more of a man you are takes hold, people start getting religiously angry about anyone who actually slows all the way down to 30mph for the 30mph limit in a town, that means we're burning more fuel, that means we're buying more fuel from the Saudis, that means the Saudis have more spare cash, that means the Saudis give ISIS more money and that makes the situation worse. Hmm. Maybe having Eminem eaten by a pack of wild badgers, while a great idea, wouldn't have been as great an idea as having that prat and his mates eaten by a pack of feral mink.

While I'm writing wish-lists, can I add a wish to have the ludicrous idea that He Who Goes Faster Is Better removed, permanently, from all our minds? I'd quite like to save the rainforests, too, and the whales and dolphins, and at least some coral reefs and, hey, is there any chance men could stop thinking rape is women's fault, cool, men's prerogative and/or a bit of harmless fun? Also, that guy who beat Rihanna up, got a tattoo of a woman with a black eye, went to jail, got out and immediately released a recording of himself saying he could have any woman he wanted because they're all cheap whores but they'd all betray him because they're all backstabbing whores because he was in a sulk about her not committing perjury to cover up for his attack on her? Him. He needs shooting, preferably retroactively.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:57 pm UTC

You do realize that the most fuel efficient speed is around 50 mph, not 30? That is, the guy going 30 is worse for the environment than the guy going 35.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:01 pm UTC

Looking at some of the charts here, it does not seem to be the case (not a representative sample, but I don't think its necessary in this case - it is highly variable depending on type of car):

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.p ... 15182.html
Honesty replaced by greed, they gave us the reason to fight and bleed
They try to torch our faith and hope, spit at our presence and detest our goals

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:45 pm UTC

55 is a good spot for a number which is difficult to measure since cars in general are all over the map in terms of weight carried, maintenance, tire pressure, driver skill and any number of other things that contribute to mileage or the lack thereof.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:59 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:You do realize that the most fuel efficient speed is around 50 mph, not 30? That is, the guy going 30 is worse for the environment than the guy going 35.

Depends on traffic. Single car on an empty road, generally, slower speeds are more optimal, as wind resistance increases at a rate above linear. Sure, gearing and stuff matters, but usually, driving faster is less efficient.

That said, if you're one dude driving 35 mph in a 55 zone, backing up traffic for miles, the resulting stop and go mess will burn FAR more gas than you save.

So, to a certain extent, driving slower can burn more gas. Usually you want to drive about normal for the area. Not terribly faster, not terribly slower. Doing this is good for overall gas efficiency as well as safety.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:46 pm UTC

Best trick is to not worry about closing the gap on the highway, and for the love of god don't constantly merge. By not closing the gap, you smooth out the knots in stop and go traffic, which ends up increasing capacity on the highway and causes the people behind you to get to where they need to go quicker. Merging in heavy traffic means your car takes up the equivalent of two spaces, not to mention that it can force the cars behind you to stop, again reducing capacity and slowing everyone down. But it doesn't make YOU get there faster, resulting in a prisoner's dilemma, and just one more way that having traffic controlled by a robotic hivemind would be a good thing.

HES

Postby HES » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:33 pm UTC

The numbers I've seen put it around 40-50mph, though it is of course highly variable by vehicle.

CorruptUser wrote:Best trick is to not worry about closing the gap on the highway, and for the love of god don't constantly merge. By not closing the gap, you smooth out the knots in stop and go traffic, which ends up increasing capacity on the highway and causes the people behind you to get to where they need to go quicker.
Which is why many European motorways use variable speed limits
He/Him/His Image

sardia

Postby sardia » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:40 am UTC

Sableagle wrote:
WibblyWobbly wrote:

Similar concept but being built near a major airport in Dubai, which is a rather more expensive location than the coastline of Syria.

Yes, having Assad on-side for the idea would be essential. You'd also have to have the Kurds' and Russians' support and some good reason to believe the Turks wouldn't try to sabotage it.

The BBC pays a dickhead speed freak petrol-head a huge amount of money to muck around in very expensive cars, trash-talk more efficient ones and encourage people to ignore speed limits and other safety precautions and laws and so on, people worship him, the idea that the more powerful your car's engine is the more of a man you are takes hold, people start getting religiously angry about anyone who actually slows all the way down to 30mph for the 30mph limit in a town, that means we're burning more fuel, that means we're buying more fuel from the Saudis, that means the Saudis have more spare cash, that means the Saudis give ISIS more money and that makes the situation worse. Hmm. Maybe having Eminem eaten by a pack of wild badgers, while a great idea, wouldn't have been as great an idea as having that prat and his mates eaten by a pack of feral mink.

While I'm writing wish-lists, can I add a wish to have the ludicrous idea that He Who Goes Faster Is Better removed, permanently, from all our minds? I'd quite like to save the rainforests, too, and the whales and dolphins, and at least some coral reefs and, hey, is there any chance men could stop thinking rape is women's fault, cool, men's prerogative and/or a bit of harmless fun? Also, that guy who beat Rihanna up, got a tattoo of a woman with a black eye, went to jail, got out and immediately released a recording of himself saying he could have any woman he wanted because they're all cheap whores but they'd all betray him because they're all backstabbing whores because he was in a sulk about her not committing perjury to cover up for his attack on her? Him. He needs shooting, preferably retroactively.

I know we've been raining realism on your hope parade, but there are answers out there that do make things better. For one thing, we have tax money. Go organize your local congressman to add more money to the UN's various relief agencies. They're pretty efficient about spending money to save the appropriate amount of people. Instead of taking random people's money, use the current institutions to levy taxes on said wealthy people. Way easier. Once you realize the shortcomings of the institutions we have now, you'll have a better of how to make things better.

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:51 am UTC

Good luck with that.

Ongoing civil wars
Internal conflict in Myanmar, since 1948
Papua conflict, since 1962
Colombian conflict, since 1964
War in Afghanistan, since 1978
Peruvian conflict, since 1978
Kurdish–Turkish conflict since 1978
Somali Civil War, since 1988
War in Darfur, since 26 February 2003
War in North-West Pakistan, since 16 March 2004
Sudanese nomadic conflicts, since 26 May 2009
Syrian Civil War, since 15 March 2011, also see List of armed groups in the Syrian Civil War
Sudanese conflict in South Kordofan and Blue Nile since 5 June 2011
Central African Republic conflict, since 10 December 2012
South Sudanese Civil War, since 15 December 2013
War in Donbass, since 23 February 2014
Second Iraqi Civil War, since 2 January 2014
Second Libyan Civil War, since 16 May 2014
Yemeni Civil War, since 19 March 2015

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:05 am UTC

Yeah, the idea that the UN is going to fix things is a bit of a joke... though I do applaud the WHO and a number of other UN initiatives. But be very careful to whom you donate to; avoid most religious based charities, and avoid anything that's rather gimmicky. MSF is my favorite charity in terms of most benefit, but I'm sure someone will claim something else is better.

sardia

Postby sardia » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:52 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Yeah, the idea that the UN is going to fix things is a bit of a joke... though I do applaud the WHO and a number of other UN initiatives. But be very careful to whom you donate to; avoid most religious based charities, and avoid anything that's rather gimmicky. MSF is my favorite charity in terms of most benefit, but I'm sure someone will claim something else is better.

It's certainly more efficient to use taxes instead of confiscating x wealthy people who stand out. And it's way better than to wish for those philosopher kings of old to use their might to make right.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:52 am UTC

Evacuations have been suspended, but it is not clear how long for. A World Heath Organisation spokesperson said that their staff had been told to vacate the city, taking ambulances and buses with them. Several thousand of people have been waiting since daybreak in the cold for updates on whether they'll be allowed to leave.

Rural Idlib province - the buses’ destination - is mostly controlled by rebel factions at odds with each other, including extremist groups such as Jabhat Fateh al-Sham, which is linked to al-Qaeda.

The area has also seen intense bombing in the last few months - which is likely to intensify.

One senior European diplomat told the Associated Press last week that people had the choice of surviving for a few weeks in Idlib or dying in Aleppo.

“For the Russians it’s simple. Place [the rebels] all in Idlib and then they have all their rotten eggs in one basket,” the source added.

Like I said, it'd be nice for them to have somewhere safe to go. Armenians evacuated from what is now generally known as eastern Turkey didn't fare too well.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:17 pm UTC

Look, unless you have a solution, all you have is whinging. That's what you do. When the US supports a dictatorship like Saudi Arabia, it's all "oh look how the US is, funding tyranny!" When the US boycotss a dictatorship like Iraq, it's all "oh look at the US, starving out millions of Iraqi children!". When the US does nothing like Sudan, it's "oh look, the US doesn't care about the genocide!" So stuff it.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:49 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Look, unless you have a solution, all you have is whinging.
Yeah, that and donating last month's pay to the Red Cross projects out there. of course, I didn't do any overtime last month to get extra money to donate to the Red Cross projects out there, so it's not like I really give a fuck either ...

... but just so you know, having established that, if you ever post here that your whole family's been raped and murdered or something, the only response you can reasonably expect is:
What the fuck do you want everyone to do? Or just whine about it online so that we can feel morally superior without actually doing anything? Look, unless you have a solution, all you have is whinging.

sardia

Postby sardia » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:30 pm UTC

Sableagle wrote:
CorruptUser wrote:Look, unless you have a solution, all you have is whinging.
Yeah, that and donating last month's pay to the Red Cross projects out there. of course, I didn't do any overtime last month to get extra money to donate to the Red Cross projects out there, so it's not like I really give a fuck either ...

... but just so you know, having established that, if you ever post here that your whole family's been raped and murdered or something, the only response you can reasonably expect is:
What the fuck do you want everyone to do? Or just whine about it online so that we can feel morally superior without actually doing anything? Look, unless you have a solution, all you have is whinging.

FYI, don't donate to the American Red Cross. It's turned into a marketing campaign that does charity work on the side.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_ ... troversies

Money is nice. Did you write a letter to your senator? If your senator is already a Democrat, what about your Congressional House rep? If you want them to have someplace to go, ask about the refugee programs that Obama is working on. Trump can't deport the refugees already here, he can only stop future refugees.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:41 pm UTC

Kurdish Red Cross, actually. That might raise a few eyebrows if I ever go for a government job but ... well, somebody had to.

I am "represented" by a protocol droid that talks to and listens to constituents and is very good at it then votes the party line with near 100% consistency. I'd probably achieve more by writing to the Mullah of my nearest mosque. :?

... Actually, that may be a good idea and I should find out where my nearest mosque is and what involvement they have with refugees.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:46 pm UTC

Had you been here saying something consistent like "hey, we should invade, please, invade already!" I would respect that. But you aren't. You're just complaining we aren't doing anything without asking us to do something specific.

Do you want the US to invade yet another country in spite of being emotionally exhausted from two hellholes and being in a financial crisis from the last time? What kind of pressure do you think we can place on Assad; cut back on the killing or else we'll sneer at you more? Do you think we should be funding the rebels who, at this point, are nothing but Al Qaeda stooges? Or should we fund the Kurds, thereby alienating Turkey and causing the US to have even fewer allies in the Islamic world, not to mention that, while I favor the Kurds, they aren't exactly saints over there either?

Understand that there really isn't much the US can do at this point.

Sableagle wrote:... but just so you know, having established that, if you ever post here that your whole family's been raped and murdered or something, the only response you can reasonably expect is:

If I was posting here calling everyone else jerks for not having done anything, yes, I could expect a "what the fuck do you want?" If I was posting here asking for emotional support, then I'd expect some emotional support. Do you need emotional support right now? Are you hurting inside and need someone to talk to? Because that's a different ballgame.

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:07 pm UTC

Exit the vampires' castle.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:22 pm UTC

Well, that can't be too good a sign of things to come...

Edit: insert profanity

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:37 pm UTC

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:45 pm UTC

Exit the vampires' castle.

HES

Postby HES » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:04 pm UTC

Shit, I was hoping from earlier reports that it was just an accident.
He/Him/His Image

Mambrino

Postby Mambrino » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:28 am UTC

BBC wrote:Images of the lorry show it was registered in neighbouring Poland and Polish media are suggesting it may have been stolen earlier on Monday.

It is being reported that the dead passenger in the lorry was Polish while the nationality of the suspect under arrest has yet to be confirmed.

Earlier, the owner of the Polish haulage company which uses the vehicle said it had been unable to get in touch with the original driver, a Polish national, since 16:00 (15:00 GMT).

So, now European truck drivers have yet another thing to worry about (in addition to robberies and traffic accidents): terrorists might possibly try killing them to get their trucks.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:22 am UTC

So a truck can kill just as many as a bomb, but is much easier to acquire and isn't nearly as suspicious if you have one with you. So, hmm, will we see concrete pillars everywhere to block trucks?

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:45 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:So a truck can kill just as many as a bomb, but is much easier to acquire and isn't nearly as suspicious if you have one with you. So, hmm, will we see concrete pillars everywhere to block trucks?

... You mean you haven't already? In downtown Denver there's a "World Trade Center" that has something like that, roughly meter-cube blocks of granite. All very decorative, but also quite functional to stop cars or trucks from getting it to the plaza between the buildings.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

sardia

Postby sardia » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:53 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:So a truck can kill just as many as a bomb, but is much easier to acquire and isn't nearly as suspicious if you have one with you. So, hmm, will we see concrete pillars everywhere to block trucks?

I demand Vehicle Control legislation, all vehicles must be autonomous. I can neither confirm nor deny that I may benefit from this.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:38 am UTC

sardia wrote:

I demand Vehicle Control legislation, all vehicles must be autonomous. I can neither confirm nor deny that I may benefit from this.

Uber, the unsung all-American heroes in the War on Terror. *shudders*

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:47 am UTC

Truck and bomb can be combined. We already have concrete pillars in at least one place to stop someone using that combination against a particular target thanks to me (I emailed the idea for the attack to someone not in government and hey, the government paid attention for once).

HES

Postby HES » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:46 pm UTC

Dauric wrote:
CorruptUser wrote:So, hmm, will we see concrete pillars everywhere to block trucks?

... You mean you haven't already?

Many sensitive buildings have perimeters of anti-truck bollards. Some are quite subtle. These are designed to stop a truck-bomb getting close enough to cause structural damage - and they will absolutely stop a laden, speeding truck. The test videos are quite impressive.

The issue with this kind of attack is that crowds are not static buildings. You can (and they likely will) install similar measures around key public areas, but you can't protect every square, corner, mall and promenade. You also don't want to completely prevent HGV access to these areas, for deliveries and events set up etc.
He/Him/His Image

sardia

Postby sardia » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:12 pm UTC

Sableagle wrote:

Truck and bomb can be combined. We already have concrete pillars in at least one place to stop someone using that combination against a particular target thanks to me (I emailed the idea for the attack to someone not in government and hey, the government paid attention for once).

Bombs are complicated. A gunman stealing a truck is easy. You could steal and ram a hundred trucks in the time it takes to build a single bomb.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:17 pm UTC

Coudn't you just rent one? Chances are high that you will be captured anyway if you survive so just put it on your credit card.^^

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:52 pm UTC

I believe it was Doug Stanhope who proved there was an afterlife by pointing to his mother buying him stuff with her credit card after she died.
Honesty replaced by greed, they gave us the reason to fight and bleed
They try to torch our faith and hope, spit at our presence and detest our goals

sardia

Postby sardia » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:11 pm UTC

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/ ... assination
The US, counterintuitively, will lose influence as Russia and Turkey use this assassination to cement ties. Turkey and Russia will compromise by siding against Kurds.

ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb

Postby ObsessoMom » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:24 pm UTC

So, after the Orlando and San Bernardino shootings, several American newspapers took the virtuous stance that they wouldn't glorify terrorists by printing their photographs.

This morning, both print newspapers I receive (yes, I'm old) had the same photo of Mr. Murderer in Ankara standing over his victim, and striking a heroic Hamilton-poster pose.

Absolutely fabulous.

Will they be giving all the copycats inspired by this photo, and its wide publicity, similar glory, I wonder? Or are they saving that glorification for the really sexy ones? Maybe it's just the people who commit terrorist acts on American soil they don't want to glorify, but good-looking foreigners who murder people sell more newspapers, so they're fair game. SIGH.

Mambrino

Postby Mambrino » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:09 pm UTC

Meanwhile, Erdogan informs the world that the assassination was carried over by Gulenists.

What on Earth Gulen would achieve with this? How about all those n+1 Islamists rebel factions that have been bombed in Aleppo by Russians, when the gunman even told he was carrying over a revenge over Aleppo?

Uncanny resemblance to Stalin seeing Trotskyiets under every rock continues.

edit. And elsewhere, German police released the Pakistani national they earlier arrested, citing not enough evidence that he was driving the truck. I don't know which is better: suicide bombers kill themselves (and thus government can't do much to punish them) but at least their identity often can be determined; this new development in the style of attacks might mean the attackers have a chance evading any kind of justice.

RCT Bob

Postby RCT Bob » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:34 pm UTC

HES wrote:
Dauric wrote:
CorruptUser wrote:So, hmm, will we see concrete pillars everywhere to block trucks?

... You mean you haven't already?

Many sensitive buildings have perimeters of anti-truck bollards. Some are quite subtle. These are designed to stop a truck-bomb getting close enough to cause structural damage - and they will absolutely stop a laden, speeding truck. The test videos are quite impressive.

The issue with this kind of attack is that crowds are not static buildings. You can (and they likely will) install similar measures around key public areas, but you can't protect every square, corner, mall and promenade. You also don't want to completely prevent HGV access to these areas, for deliveries and events set up etc.

This basically. I don't know how much of you are familiar with the German Christmas markets, but they happen all over Germany and often take up sizeable portions of a city. It's generally not just a square or a street, it's generally a city centre that's entirely Christmas market. It is simply unfeasible to barricade all that, especially as you still want traffic to be possible when it's not Christmas.

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:06 pm UTC

It isn't easy but it is possible. Barricades need be nothing more than trailers, loaded with anything heavy. Movable with existing trucks. Deliveries to locations inside the barriers could have outriders to monitor the driver. The question is is anyone prepared to pay the costs.

Return to “News & Articles”