The Darker Side of the News

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Re: The Darker Side of the News

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:37 pm UTC

The more you protect against it, the higher chance that a collector of homeoathic ingredients will get rabies! Especially if they aren't even collecting rabies!

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:49 pm UTC

Conveniently for homeopaths, only one person in history ever had to collect a drop of rabid dog spit to be able to make enough for the rest of humanity from now until the Sun explodes, given the levels of dilution that make it "effective".
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

KittenKaboodle

Postby KittenKaboodle » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:54 pm UTC

Sure it sounds insane, but I notice that it is commercially available from some supplier as tablets (and therefore presumably dry)
Wikipedia wrote: "Virtually all infections with rabies resulted in death until two French scientists, Louis Pasteur and Émile Roux, developed the first rabies vaccination in 1885. This vaccine was first used on a human on July 6, 1885, on nine-year-old Joseph Meister (1876–1940), who had been mauled by a rabid dog.[8]

Their vaccine consisted of a sample of the virus harvested from infected (and necessarily dead) rabbits that was weakened by allowing it to dry for 5 to 10 days.

of course if one dilutes it trillion to one it may not be very effective (placebo effect aside) , but I suspect not very dangerous either.

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:55 pm UTC

Angua wrote:Yeah, but someone still has to have presumably got it at some point in the industrial process...

That's -if- anyone is actually collecting it. Homeopathy is such a playground for cons and cheats you could fill ampules with tap water, slap a label on them with anything you wanted, and the product would be provably the same as any remedy harvested the "right" way.

Hell, even if you were being "legit" <insert hysterical laughter here> you only need one sample, (If I understand the homeopathy farglebargle anyway) it doesn't matter if the sample has chemically been diluted to the point the last virus cell in it was siphoned off, the "physical memory" of being in a container with a rabies virus still counts, as long as it was never completely empty the magical fairy-dust imprints from the old water on to the new water.

But to be blunt as a twenty-pound sledgehammer to the face the people putting investment-quantities of money in to the industrial process aren't doing it because they're philanthropists concerned for the well being of their customers, they're shysters selling snake oil with the purpose of separating fools from their money, and frankly the travelling snake-oil shows of the 1800's -wish- they had it as easy as filling water from the tap.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:58 pm UTC

Hey now, some of the remedies contain ethanol as a preservative, which isn't free you know. Which probably makes the rabies saliva safe, kind of.

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:58 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Hey now, some of the remedies contain ethanol as a preservative, which isn't free you know. Which probably makes the rabies saliva safe, kind of.

... so .. They're "liquoring down their water"?
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:03 pm UTC

They have to, or everyone taking the ethanol-free stuff ends uo with one mother of a hangover the morning after.

idonno

Postby idonno » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:55 am UTC

Dauric wrote:Hell, even if you were being "legit" <insert hysterical laughter here> you only need one sample, (If I understand the homeopathy farglebargle anyway) it doesn't matter if the sample has chemically been diluted to the point the last virus cell in it was siphoned off, the "physical memory" of being in a container with a rabies virus still counts, as long as it was never completely empty the magical fairy-dust imprints from the old water on to the new water.

ARE YOU CRAZY! The potency levels that would be reached if they just keep diluting the same sample would cause kids to behave themselves to death.

addams

Postby addams » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:22 pm UTC

oh....Dark News.
The passenger sitting next to the widow on the SouthWest Flight died of Blunt Force Trauma,
I have looked at those windows and wondered. Now, I know. So much of Nature just Sucks!

Osmosis, Pressure Gradients;
They Suck.

https://heavy.com/news/2018/04/jennifer ... ictim-die/
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:58 pm UTC

How do you stop a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with no gun, in this particular case.

(Dark Side because of deaths. But definite dark humour too, that the perp fled with no gun and no clothes!)

addams

Postby addams » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:09 am UTC

Soupspoon wrote:How do you stop a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with no gun, in this particular case.

(Dark Side because of deaths. But definite dark humour too, that the perp fled with no gun and no clothes!)
What a nice young man...

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

elasto

Postby elasto » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:02 pm UTC

A woman says she is facing a $500 fine from the US customs agency after a free apple she was given as a snack on a plane was found in her bag.

Crystal Tadlock, travelling to the US from Paris, said she was saving the fruit for her onward flight to Denver. But the apple was found in a random search by US border agents after her first flight landed in Minneapolis.

The apple was handed out in a plastic Delta Air Lines bag. Ms Tadlock said she did not remove it from the bag, and instead put it in her baggage for the second part of her journey to Denver, Colorado.

When the apple was found, Ms Tadlock told the border agent that she had just received it from the airline and asked whether she should throw it out or eat it. Instead the agent handed her a $500 fine.

Yeah, I get why countries have to be careful about produce crossing borders, but is it necessary to be an asshole about it?

"He had asked me if my trip to France was expensive and I said, 'Yeah.' I didn't really get why he was asking that question, and then he said 'It's about to get a lot more expensive after I charge you $500'," she told KDVR-TV

Yes, yes, apparently it is.

link

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:43 pm UTC

elasto wrote:Yeah, I get why countries have to be careful about produce crossing borders, but is it necessary to be an asshole about it?

It doesn't help that they (i.e. all countries' customs forms) ask questions like "are you bringing food products into the country," when they really mean stuff like fresh fruit or vegetables or cheese, not cereal bars or chocolates, but nobody wants to tick any of the "yes" boxes. I did one recently that asked if I had any "products of animal or vegetable origin". Luckily all my clothes were made of aluminium foil and mineral wool.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Chen

Postby Chen » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:51 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:It doesn't help that they (i.e. all countries' customs forms) ask questions like "are you bringing food products into the country," when they really mean stuff like fresh fruit or vegetables or cheese, not cereal bars or chocolates, but nobody wants to tick any of the "yes" boxes. I did one recently that asked if I had any "products of animal or vegetable origin". Luckily all my clothes were made of aluminium foil and mineral wool.

The US and Canadian ones are pretty precise in their wording and both include the words fruits and vegetables.

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:46 pm UTC

elasto wrote: Yeah, I get why countries have to be careful about produce crossing borders, but is it necessary to be an asshole about it?

Absolutely. But only if it's being brought in by an individual. If it's a company, they can bring anything. That's why we have so many recent problems with imported plants, critters, and diseases.

From USDA:

Biological products produced in other countries may be imported into the United States for research and evaluation, transit shipment, or general sale and distribution, in accordance with Title 9, Code of Federal Regulations, Part 104.

Basically, that means everything. Whatever we do, we can't interfere with companies making profit.

But individuals are different. If they were allowed to bring the stuff in, they would be competing with companies that are trying to profit. Just can't have that.
In all fairness...

Leovan

Postby Leovan » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:41 am UTC

orthogon wrote:
elasto wrote:Yeah, I get why countries have to be careful about produce crossing borders, but is it necessary to be an asshole about it?

It doesn't help that they (i.e. all countries' customs forms) ask questions like "are you bringing food products into the country," when they really mean stuff like fresh fruit or vegetables or cheese, not cereal bars or chocolates, but nobody wants to tick any of the "yes" boxes. I did one recently that asked if I had any "products of animal or vegetable origin". Luckily all my clothes were made of aluminium foil and mineral wool.

I was glad one time, when I was flying via Amsterdam to the US: Customs agent took me aside, had me list all the food items in the bag (chocolate, cookies, some granola bars) and naturally I forgot that I had some tea from my wife in there. On the Xray I guess he thought it would be pot (having come from Amsterdam and all, even though it was just a one hour layover he couldn't know that when he flagged my bag). Luckily on the customs form I had entered 'food' since I had chocolate on me and I wasn't sure if that counted. So on the official paper I had been correct, and he let me go eventually. Also helped that he found the fruit tea and missed the herb tea. Would have been a lot more suspicious.

One time I was traveling with my family and my sister packed her vegetarian sandwich from the flight. When customs asked about food, I mentioned that there was a sandwich from the flight and we got taken aside (my Dad was pissed I said anything). Turned out my Mom had a dozen apples in her bag as well. Customs agent mentioned a 100$ fine if we hadn't declared that we had food (guess it's gone up). Of course this assumes we would have been checked if I hadn't said anything. My Mom was still pretty mad they took her apples... even though we all told her that she shouldn't have brought them in the first place... She loves apples.
We got to keep the sandwich.

Chen

Postby Chen » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:03 am UTC

Coyne wrote:From USDA:

Biological products produced in other countries may be imported into the United States for research and evaluation, transit shipment, or general sale and distribution, in accordance with Title 9, Code of Federal Regulations, Part 104.

Basically, that means everything. Whatever we do, we can't interfere with companies making profit.

But individuals are different. If they were allowed to bring the stuff in, they would be competing with companies that are trying to profit. Just can't have that.

Pretty disingenuous to not put the rest of the text from that page that talks about the permits and that the companies take legal responsibility for what they import into the country.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:45 pm UTC

dg61 wrote:This is actually a pretty important historical point-the idea of "the rights of Englishmen" was very important to Americans and most stuff I've seen on the Second Amendment says that it was precisely this right that the Americans wanted to defend and claim. Remember that the idea that the US and Americans were something other than Englishmen took until the Revolution itself to take hold and even afterwards it was not unusual for American law to refer to English cases.

Definitely agreed. Legally, that sort of attitude ended up defining quite a lot of our legal system...we've incorporated quite a lot of English legal principles and stuff as a result of that "colonists deserve to be treated like Englishmen" mentality.

gmalivuk wrote:Conveniently for homeopaths, only one person in history ever had to collect a drop of rabid dog spit to be able to make enough for the rest of humanity from now until the Sun explodes, given the levels of dilution that make it "effective".

It's kinda rough when you look at a story, then breathe a sigh of relief because you know it's a scam.

As for the importation, yeah, avoiding accidental importing of invasive species is good, I suppose, but ridiculous fines probably make people less honest, not more. And "delta handed me the apple" is probably not much of a risk. Not really a good use of fines. The intent of the law might have been fine, but this particular application of it seems like the kind of thing that makes people groan at bureaucracy.

addams

Postby addams » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:49 pm UTC

Chen wrote:
Coyne wrote:From USDA:

Pretty disingenuous to not put the rest of the text from that page that talks about the permits and that the companies take legal responsibility for what they import into the country.
oh...I'm not so sure.
Who is taking responsibility for those damn noisy Frogs on Hawaii?
WalMart imported them. Walmart absorbed the fine. CROCK!

New Bad News:
I have more to say than time and energy to say it about the excesses of the current executives in the USA.
First, they threaten to Zero Out food assistance programs, then, a rent increase is a relief. (f@#k.)
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/hud-secr ... d=54726280
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... 7c121dc14d

Dr. Ben Carson is going to try to make up the budget deficit by raising rents on the poorest people in the USA.
It, just, kind of, figures. Only people that are working, no matter how little they earn, will effected, at first.

Housing and Urban Development Secretary Ben Carson proposed far-reaching changes to federal housing subsidies Wednesday, tripling rent for the poorest households and making it easier for housing authorities to impose work requirements.

“It would be after the 6 years when this proposal would change how we calculate rent for the elderly and disabled.”

This latest move comes after the administration’s proposed FY2019 budget recommends a nearly 18 percent cut to HUD. This plan also follows the White House’s lead on curbing anti-poverty programs that direct much-needed assistance to low-income Americans.

Congress may say, "No."
Congress has a Right to.

This new proposal by HUD heads to Congress for consideration as it will require congressional approval.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

elasto

Postby elasto » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:08 am UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:As for the importation, yeah, avoiding accidental importing of invasive species is good, I suppose, but ridiculous fines probably make people less honest, not more. And "delta handed me the apple" is probably not much of a risk. Not really a good use of fines. The intent of the law might have been fine, but this particular application of it seems like the kind of thing that makes people groan at bureaucracy.

It raises a whole host of questions really.

- Is there any discretion in the fine handed out? If there is, why was it not applied in this case? If not, why not?

- Are Delta flying in apples not certified as safe to bring into the US? If they are, isn't that a huge risk? What happens to apples not given out to passengers? If they are certified safe, why was the penalty enforced?

- Don't Delta have a duty to inform passengers that they need to dispose of apples on the plane and not carry them into the US? Should be right there on the packaging if nothing else. Seems pretty irresponsible to hand out stuff on a flight that could cause passengers to end up with massive fines.

Ho hum.

Grop

Postby Grop » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:23 pm UTC

elasto wrote:- Don't Delta have a duty to inform passengers that they need to dispose of apples on the plane and not carry them into the US? Should be right there on the packaging if nothing else. Seems pretty irresponsible to hand out stuff on a flight that could cause passengers to end up with massive fines.

But then maybe they fly to other countries as well, and these apples aren't packaged specifically with the US in mind.

Liri
Healthy non-floating pooper reporting for doodie.

Postby Liri » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:49 pm UTC

Grop wrote:
elasto wrote:- Don't Delta have a duty to inform passengers that they need to dispose of apples on the plane and not carry them into the US? Should be right there on the packaging if nothing else. Seems pretty irresponsible to hand out stuff on a flight that could cause passengers to end up with massive fines.

But then maybe they fly to other countries as well, and these apples aren't packaged specifically with the US in mind.

It could be a generic, "make sure to report this item on any customs form."
There's a certain amount of freedom involved in cycling: you're self-propelled and decide exactly where to go. If you see something that catches your eye to the left, you can veer off there, which isn't so easy in a car, and you can't cover as much ground walking.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:17 pm UTC

I don't know if this deserves it's own thread, but I'll put it here for now:
There has been an arrest involving the (long cold) Golden State Killer case. (http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-m ... story.html)

After all these years!
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

dg61

Postby dg61 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:30 pm UTC

Not just invasives but agricultural pests. Considering how much of our exports are food that’s a big issue.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:42 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:I don't know if this deserves it's own thread, but I'll put it here for now:
There has been an arrest involving the (long cold) Golden State Killer case. (http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-m ... story.html)

After all these years!

It could also go in Police Misbehavior, as he was a cop when he started raping and murdering people.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Sat May 05, 2018 6:18 am UTC

The eruption in the East Rift Zone of Kilauea has moved from Pu‘u ‘O‘o to the middle of a subdivision. That is, there are now volcanic vents that have opened in the Leilani Estates subdivision near Pahoa.

From what I understand, this part of Hawaii is not affluent — the land around there is cheap (because of the high volcano risk), so many people in the area aren’t super well off. They've already evacuated around 1000 people because of SO2 emissions. Not to mention the fact that if the East Rift Zone eruption localized to here instead of Pu‘u ‘O‘o, they’ll never be able to return to their homes.

There was also a magnitude 6.9 earthquake associated with this eruption (which is really strong — for reference, the Northridge earthquake was a 6.7, and caused lots of damage).

Note: Above link will be dead soonish (once the Leilani Estates eruption ceases, probably), but will still give updates. I’ll find something else to replace it.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sat May 05, 2018 5:22 pm UTC

I used to have literal nightmares about volcanic vents opening in my neighborhood/bedroom
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sat May 05, 2018 5:51 pm UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:I used to have literal nightmares about volcanic vents opening in my neighborhood/bedroom

Given your surfer avatar (taken from another webcomic)...

addams

Postby addams » Sat May 05, 2018 6:06 pm UTC

pogrmman wrote:The eruption in the East Rift Zone of Kilauea has moved from Pu‘u ‘O‘o to the middle of a subdivision. That is, there are now volcanic vents that have opened in the Leilani Estates subdivision near Pahoa.

From what I understand, this part of Hawaii is not affluent — the land around there is cheap (because of the high volcano risk), so many people in the area aren’t super well off. They've already evacuated around 1000 people because of SO2 emissions. Not to mention the fact that if the East Rift Zone eruption localized to here instead of Pu‘u ‘O‘o, they’ll never be able to return to their homes.

There was also a magnitude 6.9 earthquake associated with this eruption (which is really strong — for reference, the Northridge earthquake was a 6.7, and caused lots of damage).

Note: Above link will be dead soonish (once the Leilani Estates eruption ceases, probably), but will still give updates. I’ll find something else to replace it.
Very interesting!
Thank You for that.

Once upon a Time I lived up the Mountain from there.
We slept well at night knowing the Hot Spot was south of us.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Sat May 05, 2018 8:40 pm UTC

addams wrote:Once upon a Time I lived up the Mountain from there.

Well, there is overconfidence for you. If you live on that island the hotspot is beneath your feet. (Though, yes, it does tend to leak out only at certain spots.)
In all fairness...

addams

Postby addams » Sat May 05, 2018 8:49 pm UTC

Coyne wrote:
addams wrote:Once upon a Time I lived up the Mountain from there.

Well, there is overconfidence for you. If you live on that island the hotspot is beneath your feet. (Though, yes, it does tend to leak out only at certain spots.)
Yes.
It leaks out to The South.
Because, the Hot Spot IS South.

Once upon a Time the Hot Spot was under The Garden Island.
The Hot Spot has not moved. The plate moves over the Hot Spot.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Sun May 06, 2018 10:24 pm UTC

That's neat that you used to live somewhere nearby. Kilauea is definitely the most active volcano in Hawaii (and probably the world), so things like this are only really an issue if you're on part of the island that is that volcano (most of the island is Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea). In other news, there are now 10 vents in the subdivision, though only a couple are still active. What's really cool is you can see the lava movement by looking at earthquakes and deformation data. If you look at earthquakes over the past year, you can see them get progressively shallower as magma moved upwards. Correspondingly, you can see that both the summit and Pu'u 'O'o expanded as their chambers filled with magma. You can also see that how since the eruption started, magma has been draining from underneath both of them as it moves down the rift.
Even though the lava lake at the summit had been overflowing recently, it now
Hawaiian Volcano Observatory wrote:has dropped about 128 m (518 ft) below the crater rim since April 30.

I read somewhere (I think on twitter) that they are letting people in certain parts of the subdivision back in, for a short amount of time, so that they can grab their things.

Liri
Healthy non-floating pooper reporting for doodie.

Postby Liri » Mon May 07, 2018 12:29 am UTC

It's been wild to follow it. I was there in... 2003? I hiked over a lava field at night to watch Kilauea erupting from a distance.
There's a certain amount of freedom involved in cycling: you're self-propelled and decide exactly where to go. If you see something that catches your eye to the left, you can veer off there, which isn't so easy in a car, and you can't cover as much ground walking.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Mon May 14, 2018 5:48 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:
EdgarJPublius wrote:I used to have literal nightmares about volcanic vents opening in my neighborhood/bedroom

Given your surfer avatar (taken from another webcomic)...

I'm pretty sure my fear of suburban volcanoes actually stems from reading "Hill of Fire" in elementary school, and watching the Reading Rainbow episode where it was featured.

It's a children's book about the formation of Paricutin, a volcano in Mexico that formed rapidly and unexpectedly in a farmers field in 1943, destroying multiple nearby towns.

(I don't remember why I removed the artist credit to Justin Pierce from my forum sig, probably something to do with character limits.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Mon May 14, 2018 7:08 pm UTC

No I meant that I wouldnt be surprised if you were living in Hawaii...

addams

Postby addams » Tue May 15, 2018 4:16 am UTC

addams wrote:New Bad News:
I have more to say than time and energy to say it about the excesses of the current executives in the USA.
First, they threaten to Zero Out food assistance programs, then, a rent increase is a relief. (f@#k.)
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/hud-secr ... d=54726280
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... 7c121dc14d

Dr. Ben Carson is going to try to make up the budget deficit by raising rents on the poorest people in the USA.
It, just, kind of, figures. Only people that are working, no matter how little they earn, will effected, at first.

Housing and Urban Development Secretary Ben Carson proposed far-reaching changes to federal housing subsidies Wednesday, tripling rent for the poorest households and making it easier for housing authorities to impose work requirements.

“It would be after the 6 years when this proposal would change how we calculate rent for the elderly and disabled.”

This latest move comes after the administration’s proposed FY2019 budget recommends a nearly 18 percent cut to HUD. This plan also follows the White House’s lead on curbing anti-poverty programs that direct much-needed assistance to low-income Americans.

Congress may say, "No."
Congress has a Right to.

This new proposal by HUD heads to Congress for consideration as it will require congressional approval.
Update:
This piece of ugly news is making irs way into the mainstream.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7C9TjdziPE

Ben Carson's proposal Must be Okayed by Congress.
A letter, E-Mail or Call to your Congress person might help.

oh...If you think the Poor are nor paying enough, yet.
I'm OK with you skipping this civic task.

Everyone else...Say SomeThing! to your Congress Person!

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Tue May 15, 2018 5:00 pm UTC

Warning: kids blown to pieces and other bad stuff involving kids.

Spoiler:
Indonesia attack: Single family blamed for series of deadly suicide bombings on churches

The national police chief, Tito Karnavian, said Sunday’s attacks, which killed at least 13 people including the six bombers, and injured more than 40 others, were carried out by children, teenagers and adults from a family who were among 500 Islamic State sympathisers who had returned from Syria.

He said the family’s father detonated car bombs, two sons aged 18 and 16 used motorcycles in their attack and the mother and two daughters, aged 12 and 9, had explosives strapped to them.
Indonesia attacks: Two families launch string of suicide bombings in Surabaya using children as young as eight

Members of a single family have carried out a suicide bombing at the police headquarters in Indonesia days after another family, with whom they were friends, launched coordinated suicide blasts on churches in the same city.

CCTV footage of the latest attack showed the militants, who included an eight-year-old girl, in a car and on two motorcycles approaching a security checkpoint near the police station in the city of Surabaya. An explosion was then triggered from one of the motorbikes, which had at least two people on it.

National police chief Tito Karnavian said the girl, who was with two of the four attackers, was thrown off the motorcycle by the blast and survived, while the others died.

Two things:

1) I'm a little leery of calling an 8-year-old girl a militant. I mean, isis aren't exactly famous for giving single-digit-aged girls much choice in things, are they?

2) WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU HUMANS?!?!?!?

I feel a little like I just watched Schindler's List for the first time.

What in Hell ... ?
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

Yablo

Postby Yablo » Tue May 15, 2018 5:39 pm UTC

addams wrote:Everyone else...Say SomeThing! to your Congress Person!

I live in Alaska. My Congress People won't listen anyway.

I completely support welfare and government assistance reform, but the reform needed is closer monitoring and elimination of fraud. Working should be encouraged and facilitated, but it shouldn't be required. And raising rent on subsidized housing is a horrible idea that negates the entire idea behind the subsidy in the first place.

None of this affects me directly, but it does offend my sense of the role of government in society.
If you like Call of Cthulhu and modern government conspiracy, check out my Delta Green thread.
Please feel free to ask questions or leave comments.

addams

Postby addams » Tue May 15, 2018 6:15 pm UTC

Yablo wrote:I live in Alaska. My Congress People won't listen anyway.
None of this affects me directly, but it does offend my sense of the role of government in society.
You can let your Congress People know what you want them to do.

They will hear it.
They might even act on what they hear from you.

Like the man said, "What have you got to Lose."
There are many that will lose a lot!

If working people can not use ChildCare Expenses to balance their budgets,
Many may find it impossible to continue to work. ChildCare is Expensive!

This thing may BackFire and hurt people that can not heal.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue May 15, 2018 6:41 pm UTC

addams wrote:This thing may BackFire and hurt people that can not heal.
Sadly, that's not backfiring. That's the intended result.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

Return to “News & Articles”