Hong Kong: Streets blocked as pro-democracy protests spread

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

dalcde

Re: Hong Kong: Streets blocked as pro-democracy protests spr

Postby dalcde » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:43 am UTC

Negated wrote:Some of the anti-occupy mob are probably hired from mainland, but many are actually from HK. The triads have interests in many shops in Mong Kok area and the protests affect their income. The clashes were pretty much inevitable.

You can't ignore the possibility that someone hired the triads. Should be an easy thing to do.

Negated wrote:There are also genuine pro-Beijing people in HK.

True, but I believe there isn't a significant number of these people who would resort to violence. I think they simply cheered outside for the assaulters without getting involved themselves. The assaulters are from I-don't-know-where. (Just a guess, though)

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:04 am UTC

The until now peaceful and self-regulated protests have been disrupted by counter-protesters supposedly Mandarin speaking mainlanders (and thus identifiable by accent), bused in as opposed to the native Cantonese speaking protesters

Isn't this somewhat odd? It's not like the mainland has a shortage of cantonese speakers.

kingofdreams

Postby kingofdreams » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:46 am UTC

come to think of it, I'm sure there are Hong Kong residents who learned to speak mandarin as their first language, but it does seem to have entered protestor rhetoric. maybe a regional accent is distinctive even among native speakers

Additionally, it appears the local authority is arresting certain 'triad' instigators.
Picard- I shall appoint you my executive officer in charge of radishes

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:38 am UTC

I believe Hong Kong Cantonese has become reasonably distinct from mainland Cantonese since British rule started so even if the counter-protesters were Cantonese speakers, it wouldn't necessarily be much harder to identify them as mainland-Chinese.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

iChef

Postby iChef » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:42 pm UTC

It is quite possible that the organized crime gangs are interested in breaking up the protests without any outside prodding. Much of their income is made from gambling, protection payments, prostitution and the like. When you get the streets filled with people and police officers you are attracting attention to the area, affecting businesses (thus affecting their ability to pay protection) and just making it hard in general to make a (dis)honest buck (Yuan?). If I was a mob boss in HK I would be very interested in seeing these protests end so I could get back to business.
Those whom God loves, he must make beautiful, and a beautiful character must, in some way, suffer.
-Tailsteak author of the Webcomics 1/0 and Leftover Soup

kingofdreams

Postby kingofdreams » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:54 am UTC

Not with a bang but with a whimper
Picard- I shall appoint you my executive officer in charge of radishes

BattleMoose

Postby BattleMoose » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:41 am UTC

Zamfir wrote:

The until now peaceful and self-regulated protests have been disrupted by counter-protesters supposedly Mandarin speaking mainlanders (and thus identifiable by accent), bused in as opposed to the native Cantonese speaking protesters

Isn't this somewhat odd? It's not like the mainland has a shortage of cantonese speakers.

Counter protesters! I reckon it was a pretty smart move. There's nothing illegal or harmful about it but sure will colour the perception of the protest. I get the impression that there are many people who are undecided about this protest and if they fail to perceive the counter protesters for what they are, they might turn against the protest.

Return to “News & Articles”