Apparently United States Found Chemical Weapons in Iraq

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

LaserGuy

Apparently United States Found Chemical Weapons in Iraq

Postby LaserGuy » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:03 am UTC

According to the New York Times, from 2004-2011, American soldiers uncovered at least 5000 chemical warheads in Iraq. However, the discoveries of these weapons have apparently been systematically covered up by the United States government. The reason? The motivation for the Iraq war was that Saddam Hussein had an active WMD program that he was hiding. But all of the chemical weapons that the Americans did find dated back to the 80s, and many were decrepit and nearly inoperable, consistent with the Iraqi government's story that the program had been abandoned. To add insult to injury, nearly all of the weapons that were recovered were designed in the United States, built in Europe, and armed with chemicals produced by American companies. The existence of these weapons were withheld from Congress.

Interestingly, despite GWB's insistence that he was looking for a WMD program, soldiers on the ground were apparently largely unprepared to find them. Although the weapons were generally in no condition to be used, the chemicals had not dissipated. Numerous soldiers became exposed to the lingering chemicals due to improper destruction of the munitions. Others were injured when the warheads were transformed into IEDs. These exposures, too, were apparently covered up, and afflicted soldiers were often denied proper medical care both in the field and upon returning home.

In perhaps the most serious aspect related to contemporary news in Iraq, the majority of the munitions were found clustered near the Muthanna State Establishment, an Iraqi chemical plant. In one location nearby, American soldiers found nearly 2400 nerve-agent rockets. The area has been under the control of ISIS since June. The Iraqi government claims that nearly 2500 corroded rockets were still in the defunct facility, though it is unclear if there were any chemical agents in them.

Zcorp

Re: Apparently United States Found Chemical Weapons in Iraq

Postby Zcorp » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:08 pm UTC

It is baffling that things like this can be kept quiet for so long.

Derek

Postby Derek » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:40 pm UTC

This is news? I remember the reports of finding Sarin artillery shells that came out during/shortly after the invasion. No attention was given to it by the media because, as mentioned here, they were old munitions (pre-Gulf War) and frequently inoperable. I recall hearing that at least one was used in an IED though, but it's likely the people using it didn't know what was in it, and no gas was released.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:43 pm UTC

It is not news. It's been long known that he used chem weapons on the kurds.

So, now we get to hear a president make a case for charging into Iraq because of WMDs. I'm sure this, too, will be novel.

Zcorp

Postby Zcorp » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:59 pm UTC

The news, at least to me, is not that Iraq had chemical weapons from 30+ years ago but rather than the US actively tried to hide even more of the reality of recent events in Iraq.

It being news is not to say we should be surprised by this behavior, it is a common and frequent occurrence and a large reason why so few people trust anything our government says. However, it is still news.

HungryHobo

Postby HungryHobo » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:43 pm UTC

I remember hearing about this years ago as dull and unexciting news.

Though I do remember pro-war bushites trying to use them to support their position that iraq has WMD's.

I get the impression that the journalist is trying to sex up an old story by claiming it was secret.
Give a man a fish, he owes you one fish. Teach a man to fish, you give up your monopoly on fisheries.

Derek

Postby Derek » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:07 am UTC

I got a chance to fully read this story, and it was very interesting. It mentions one incident that was publicly revealed in 2004, which sounds like the incident I recall: A sarin artillery shell used unknowingly in an IED. But according to the story incidents like this were far more common than was revealed, continuing for pretty much the entire occupation, and the treatment the soldiers got was absolute shit.

Kethryes

Postby Kethryes » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:25 pm UTC

The thing is, it is not news, and people using this story to say "See Bush was right to invade Iraq!" is a great *facepalm*
https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2014/10/15/despite-attempts-revise-history-bush-still-wrong-iraqi-wmds/
J Thomas wrote:From the evidence I have seen it looks utterly foolish to think it's ridiculous to doubt you are right.

Tirian

Postby Tirian » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:25 pm UTC

The story is more "We invaded Iraq to eliminate their chemical weapons stockpile, and didn't even manage to do that well, so now they're in the hands of ISIS."

Return to “News & Articles”