US measles outbreak as fewer parents vaccinate

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Re: US measles outbreak as fewer parents vaccinate

Postby Dauric » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:21 pm UTC

BlackSails wrote:
Tyndmyr wrote:
sardia wrote:So we make them serve community service helping others get vaccinated? Sounds good. Just gotta update all their shots beforehand.

Or maybe care for the sick.

Vaccination optional.

Why would you want unvaccinated people in contact with the elderly and people with compromised immune systems?

I believe the idea was: "Not vaccinated? Here, go work with people who have Measles and/or other diseases we have vaccinations for. Let us know when you'd like to get vaccinated..."
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

addams

Postby addams » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:59 am UTC

It is So sad the way the issue of vaccinating children has torn out nation and communities apart.
We were Never all that together.

The Anti-Vaccers don't like the violence and vulgar behavior not only allowed, but seemingly encouraged in Public Schools.
Not being allowed to expose that Physical and Psychological danger on their children is not a punishment to them.

Some schools are doing ok.
All Public Schools must attempt to reach and teach children that have been raised by Mom's watching Reality TV.

There is a great deal Wrong with The World.

Anti-Vaccer Moms are victims.
And; They are heroes in some Strange way.

I've met some.
Such sweet, healthy and wholesome people.

If one of those children gets sick.
You better be able to Prove your Vaccines are Up To Date.

Herd immunity is to protect the herd.
Those people are The Herd.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

sardia

Postby sardia » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:29 pm UTC

What you're suggesting is probably criminal. What I suggested is a public service. Make them help vaccinate others. Maybe a stint in Pakistan or Africa if you want to really punish them.

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:00 pm UTC

sardia wrote:What you're suggesting is probably criminal. What I suggested is a public service. Make them help vaccinate others. Maybe a stint in Pakistan or Africa if you want to really punish them.
Maybe you should move to Pakistan, they are arresting people who resist the polio vaccine.

Tirian

Postby Tirian » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:33 pm UTC

Dauric wrote:I believe the idea was: "Not vaccinated? Here, go work with people who have Measles and/or other diseases we have vaccinations for. Let us know when you'd like to get vaccinated..."

Involuntary exposure to diseases to fix the unvaccinated. Congratulations, you've just reinvented the pox party. Do you need to be reminded of why that is not a witty modern idea, or can you find it on your own?

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:35 pm UTC

sardia wrote:What you're suggesting is probably criminal. What I suggested is a public service. Make them help vaccinate others. Maybe a stint in Pakistan or Africa if you want to really punish them.

More of an idle thought than a practical suggestion, yeah.

But there's also a bit of "these folks are very willing to take risks because they don't believe those risks are significant and/or real". I dare say that polio, measles, etc have become so removed from our daily lives that some folks simply do not understand that the dangers are still real.

sardia

Postby sardia » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:50 pm UTC

morriswalters wrote:
Maybe you should move to Pakistan, they are arresting people who resist the polio vaccine.

Sixty-four people died there trying to erase this disease from the planet. Show some respect. If you can't do that, at least put some effort in your criticisms. Oh noes, they arrested parents who endangered their children. Better call the human rights commission, this is Guantanamo all over again.

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:18 am UTC

And what does that have to do with what I posted? Isn't that what you want, penalties for parents who don't vaccinate their children?

addams

Postby addams » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:42 am UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:

More of an idle thought than a practical suggestion, yeah.

But there's also a bit of "these folks are very willing to take risks because they don't believe those risks are significant and/or real". I dare say that polio, measles, etc have become so removed from our daily lives that some folks simply do not understand that the dangers are still real.

Yes.
The dangers are still real.

It may serve us all very well to Remember we have vulnerable people among us.
They don't have to wear a Red Shirt to set themselves apart.

Treat everyone as if you are Immune and they are Not Immune.
Don't carry disease from person to person.

Jeeze...I, just, turned into The Parent pushed Too Far.
"Don't touch your Sister!"
"Don't ever touch your Sister, again."

"And! Don't touch Any of her Things!"

That becomes,
"Don't touch 'Those People."
"Don't touch any of Their Things."

The UnTouchables was not always a 21 century spoof.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Intouchables#Plot

It is Illegal in a modern world.
It was a survival stratagem in an Ancient World.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Untouchability.

We are Far, Far from such a world.
If the Anti-Vaccers get sick, it won't make you sick.

Unless they get something you are Not Immune to.
Like Mental Illness.

Have you been vaccinated against the Malady of taking yourself too seriously?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:00 am UTC

Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

elasto

Postby elasto » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:47 pm UTC

A German biologist who offered €100,000 (£71,350; $106,300) to anyone who could prove that measles is a virus has been ordered by a court to pay up.

Stefan Lanka, who believes the illness is psychosomatic, made the pledge four years ago on his website.

The reward was later claimed by German doctor David Barden, who gathered evidence from various medical studies. Mr Lanka dismissed the findings. But the court in the town of Ravensburg ruled that the proof was sufficient.

Reacting to the verdict by the court in the southern town, Mr Lanka said he would appeal: "It is a psychosomatic illness," he told regional paper Suedkurier. "People become ill after traumatic separations."

Wow. Wish I'd heard about that before. Would have been an easy way to pick up a hefty lump of cash...

link

krogoth

Postby krogoth » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:09 pm UTC

I'm not sure how he would even defend his side.

It's like a negative claim, but we have evidence to the contrary. He needs to explain why he rejects. It's like rejecting evolution. Sure it might not fit with your world view, but the evidence for it is staggering. I wonder if he's been vaxxed, maybe they can infect him and ask him to explain his traumatic separation.
R3sistance - I don't care at all for the ignorance spreading done by many and to the best of my abilities I try to correct this as much as I can, but I know and understand that even I can not be completely honest, truthful and factual all of the time.

Return to “News & Articles”