Red Cross II: Squanders Half Billion Dollars in Haiti

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

sardia

Red Cross II: Squanders Half Billion Dollars in Haiti

Postby sardia » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:43 pm UTC

http://www.npr.org/2015/06/03/411524156 ... iti-relief
When a devastating earthquake leveled Haiti in 2010, millions of people donated to the American Red Cross. The charity raised almost half a billion dollars. It was one of its most successful fundraising efforts ever.

The American Red Cross vowed to help Haitians rebuild. Yet, after five years, the Red Cross' legacy in Haiti isn't new roads, schools and hundreds of new homes. And it's difficult to know where all the money went. NPR and ProPublica went in search of the nearly $500 million and found a string of poorly managed projects, questionable spending and dubious claims of success, according to a review of hundreds of pages of the charity's internal documents and emails, as well as interviews with a dozen current and former officials. The Red Cross says it has provided homes to more than 130,000 people. But the number of permanent homes the charity has built is six.

For those of you who held onto the delusion that the Red Cross is a decent organization and that Hurricane Sandy debacle was just a one time error. I'd like you to remind you in case you forgot. Incompetence, the callous disregard for others in favor of projects that look and sound good at home, wasteful spending, and worse of all, taking money that could have gone to better charities.
Last edited by sardia on Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:31 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.

PolakoVoador

Re: Red Cross II: Make It Rain (in Haiti)

Postby PolakoVoador » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:04 pm UTC

Man, that sucks hard.

sardia wrote:taking money that could have gone to better charities

And what charities are those?

Tirian

Postby Tirian » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:02 am UTC

The American Red Cross is in the business of receiving blood from volunteers and selling it to hospitals. Their secondary business is making four-color glossy brochures so that people who make charitable donations to them will continue to do so. If you want a house built in Haiti, you should give your money to a Haitian architect and construction team. If you give money to someone who doesn't know how to build a house but does know how to mail out a brochure, guess what will happen.

It's not a new thing that the American people are too charitable in the light of an ARC call to action. If you donated blood in the days after 9/11, it was thrown away.

----

Senator Charles Grassley is looking into it. I owe that man a metaphorical drink; it is refreshing to see a Republican congressman launching an investigation for reasons other than embarrassing a Democrat. I hope he won't be in trouble back home for revealing that he gets his news from NPR.

sardia

Postby sardia » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:14 am UTC

PolakoVoador wrote:Man, that sucks hard.

sardia wrote:taking money that could have gone to better charities

And what charities are those?

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.c ... ew&cpid=48
Go there, it's a start. Try to find a charity that spends a large percentage of it's funds on helping people. Avoid charities that spend a large portion of it's budget advertising/raising funds. Also, never give over the phone, always pay directly so you know how much is being siphoned off to pay for "fundraising expenses".

I like the Step Up For Students charity and NPR affiliates, though I do wish npr would get their shit together. This makes me regret donating blood to them, though I think donating to Heartland medical isn't any better. (They go after medical debtors mercilessly and then loan shark them into unending payments that only pay off interest).

Return to “News & Articles”