Grand Tours (cycling) talk

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

EvilDuckie

Re: Grand Tours (cycling) talk

Postby EvilDuckie » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:46 pm UTC

As I was cycling myself (group cycling holiday) I missed La Course and only saw the last 40k of the men on Champs Elysees. Got the impression the women raced for real in dreadful conditions (only saw some photos) after which the weather cleared up and the organisers locked in the GC for the men... To prevent Quintana from doing something foolish?
Quack!

ivnja
The spirit of things can bugger right off.

Postby ivnja » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:25 pm UTC

I haven't been following the Vuelta, because it's not covered here the way the Tour is, but I just found this video from Stage 2 on Sunday...damn is Nibali fast. Even the team car is barely keeping up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi24TVdZFyc

Yeah, he was booted for that.
Hi you.
She(?!)

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:49 am UTC

And rightfully so. It's one thing to do it when you're behind after a mechanical or a crash. Yes, he was behind because of a crash, but even then to so blatantly get the team car to pull you is just plain silly.
Quack!

ivnja

Postby ivnja » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:22 pm UTC

Peter Sagan, who has won the points classification (~best sprinter) at the Tour de France each of the last five years, has been disqualified from the race for his involvement in a crash in the final meters of Stage 4 that left veteran sprinter Mark Cavendish with a broken shoulder.
Hi you.
She(?!)

Liri
Healthy non-floating pooper reporting for doodie.

Postby Liri » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:35 pm UTC

Holy crap thanks for digging this thread out!

Yeah, that stage ending was a shambles. Sagan definitely led to the crash by edging Cavendish off Demare's wheel and moving over to the wall, but I suppose the bad optics of the elbow got him sent home. It's unfortunate. The two of them made the TdF pretty interesting. Cavendish pulled this at the Olympics last summer, so I don't feel as bad for him as I might.

On weekdays I can only catch the first ~hour before I have to bike to work. :(
He wondered could you eat the mushrooms, would you die, do you care.

ivnja

Postby ivnja » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:52 pm UTC

I'm kind of curious how much of the Court of Arbitration for Sport's denial of Sagan's appeal for reinstatement was based on the merits of the case and how much was to avoid the complete shitshow of having a rider re-enter the race after two extra days of rest, and all the potential fallout from setting that precedent. What would his time be?

I'd been trying to watch the live coverage in the mornings here, but the past several days I've had to watch the evening rebroadcasts
Hi you.
She(?!)

Liri

Postby Liri » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:18 pm UTC

The appeal from Cavendish's team after the initial penalty for a harsher punishment grinds my gears. Apparently, because the fine was too low (200 euros?) Sagan's team was unable to counter-appeal.

Now we sit back to watch the Skytrain dominate as usual. I'm a fan of Geraint Thomas so I was happy to see him the maillot jaune for a few stages.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:49 pm UTC

How much simpler are time-trials. (Once you make sure everyone knows that pacing isn't allowed, as faster and slower riders intersect on the road, etc. It's the Race Of Truth, just you against the clock, and pretty much avoids all that direct conflict.)

Also, arguably, better for the spectators. No waiting around, then a minute or so of <zoom zoom zoom>, then wandering off wondering if that was it.

Spoiler:
That's entirely my own personal bias, I know. I can't deny that they're athletes, and get lay-people excited (even I've personally stood by the side of a road, waiting for the <zoom zoom zoom>ing), but so many more people can get involved in amateur TTs, all across the country, all through the calendar year. (I saw nearly 70 riders in one event, this prior evening just gone, compared with 198 riders tied up (until retiring/disqualified at least) over 20-odd days.

Sorry, barely any of that was supposed to be my point. Anyway, for those that want an endurance event, try following the Mersey Roads 24 Hour on 23rd/24th July, or similar... There'll probably be a TV showing the conclusion of Le Tour in the event HQ, so best of both worlds for those attending (and not themselves riding or officiating)... ;)

The problem with the TdF is the same as that which makes it popular (or at least high-profile). Disproportionately high amounts of money thrown at the event from both participating and associating sponsors. When it's backed by so much cash, groups have vested interests in raising their own interests and dashing those of their competitors.

Not that this makes the riders any less talented or capable. They are undeniably very strong, staminaful and substantial sportsmen (and women, for those that follow the separate event).

Liri

Postby Liri » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:43 pm UTC

Well today was rough. Poor Thomas and Porte. But huge congrats to Uran (and Barguil).

ivnja

Postby ivnja » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:35 pm UTC

Porte's crash was brutal. I have no idea where he was trying to go with that line or if he'd been nudged/forced left by another rider's positioning, but he had no chance and he paid hard for it. He was fortunate to "just" fracture his shoulder and pelvis.

I was driving home late yesterday afternoon on a shadowy, winding (but not as winding!), steeply descending (but not as steeply descending!), narrowish (but not nearly as narrow!) road, doing about 45, trying to imagine flying down even that stretch at that speed on a bike, and all I could conclude is that those guys are all a little bit crazy.

Are there any clips of G Thomas actually coming off? All I've seen is the immediate aftermath with him sitting in the road trying to get his bearings. We've seen over the past many years that Froome is an incredibly strong rider on is own, but it must be an uneasy feeling nonetheless to lose his lieutenant.
Hi you.
She(?!)

Liri

Postby Liri » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:09 pm UTC

Yeah, I just saw Thomas already on the ground. It seems he let a guy in front of him who promptly crashed. It was a biggish-name French rider, I think. Porte is lucky as heck, he could easily have gone off the mountain.

Uran winning after that technical is stupid impressive. Getting the neutral mechanic to reach out and set the chain to the highest gear, holy shit.

And yeah, speaking of descending, there are so many hills where I live that I'd love to let loose on but can't because of all the blind curves. When I was 13 or 14 my family biked the Virginia Creeper Trail, which is pretty much one long descent. There are a few unpaved sections, so you wouldn't want to take a road bike on it, but in general it's not very technical at all. You get bussed up to the top and bike down to your car. My brother and I were super grumpy because we drove like 6 hours both ways for a half-hour bike ride, but I'd go again now that I've forgiven my parents.

ivnja

Postby ivnja » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:36 am UTC

I've never entirely seen the point of riding 178 km for a sprint finish like today's (stage 10), when you could probably knock the first 150 km off and end up with the same results. 180 riders started the day, and the peloton was under so little pressure that after four hours (and one minute) of "racing," 138 of them came in with the same time at the finish. I'm glad for Kittel for his stage victory and all, but it just doesn't make for very compelling cycling for me.

In general, having a sprint competition woven into a three-week grand tour just seems odd, and for me the only really interesting wrinkle in it is that the sprinters have to haul themselves through the mountain stages to stay in the competition - but we also very rarely get to see the grupetto, since the cameras are always on the race leaders.
Hi you.
She(?!)

Liri

Postby Liri » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:32 pm UTC

ivnja wrote:the cameras are always on the race leaders.

And on all the cozy chateaux and landscapes! But for the racers, multiple days cycling 160-200kms before hitting wicked climbing days is part of the endurance aspect of GTs. An elite amateur rider might make it one or two days in the Peloton on a flat stage and they'd be totally spent.

ivnja

Postby ivnja » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:50 pm UTC

Liri wrote:
ivnja wrote:the cameras are always on the race leaders.
And on all the cozy chateaux and landscapes!
And on silly Taylor Phinney perma-stoned interviews, in the US broadcast.

You're completely right about the endurance aspect. It's mostly just my bias for the GC and KOM competitions vs the sprints showing through, I think.
ETA: And the difference between looking at the TdF as a single three week long race vs a series of 21 back-to-back-to-back one-day races where some stats happen to be cumulative. The Tour is the latter, but I have trouble not thinking of it as the former, and the sprinters are mostly superfluous to that sort of race.
Hi you.
She(?!)

Liri

Postby Liri » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:25 pm UTC

I was at work for most of today's race, but the ending must have been heartbreaking. Caught in the final 300m. Gah.

ivnja

Postby ivnja » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:33 am UTC

I didn't get to see the ending of today's stage 12 live this morning, just saw the rebroadcast, and...
Spoiler:
holy cow! Froome lost 20 seconds of real time to Aru in the last ~500m (plus another four seconds of time bonus) and lost his yellow, despite having the Sky train to pull him up the climbs, and his final lead out man Landa actually beat him by three places and 17 seconds. He didn't crack, precisely, but that's the first time I think I've ever seen him unable to match a move like that.

Other than that, watching Romain Bardet on the podium afterward as the stage winner was really neat. He was enjoying his moment for sure.
Hi you.
She(?!)

Liri

Postby Liri » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:39 am UTC

ivnja wrote:I didn't get to see the ending of today's stage 12 live this morning, just saw the rebroadcast, and...
Spoiler:
holy cow! Froome lost 20 seconds of real time to Aru in the last ~500m (plus another four seconds of time bonus) and lost his yellow, despite having the Sky train to pull him up the climbs, and his final lead out man Landa actually beat him by three places and 17 seconds. He didn't crack, precisely, but that's the first time I think I've ever seen him unable to match a move like that.

Other than that, watching Romain Bardet on the podium afterward as the stage winner was really neat. He was enjoying his moment for sure.

I didn't go in to work till the stage ended. WORTH IT. Yeah, Landa was seriously spooking me - all the GC guys (I guess he's a GC guy too, now) behind him huffing and puffing and he's calm as a cucumber motoring up that wall of an incline dragging everyone up. I was super happy for Bardet. Hope he or Barguil (or another Frenchman) can pull off a similar feat tomorrow

Earlier in the day, Eurosport was showing the 2012 Tour on the stage where Froome is hauling Wiggo up the mountain and it's clear he's the next guy. It was eerily prescient. If Bardet, Aru, and Uran had attacked earlier, they maybe could have taken a minute+ off of Froome.

Tomorrow looks good, too. Only 101 kms so it should be very exciting.

ivnja

Postby ivnja » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:17 am UTC

The NBCSN commentators were making a big deal about the Kittel group going 5 minutes or whatever it was off the back on the final climb today, which was important only in the context that some of the big sprinters wouldn't be there at the line to contest the stage finish.

It got me wondering, though. Has the green jersey ever been eliminated on time on a hard mountain stage? Or, for that matter, have any of the other jerseys (although that seems very unlikely)? I've seen jerseys crash out a few times, and Rasmussen got himself fired by his team while in yellow ten years ago (which was too bad about what he did, I'd quite liked him and had been rooting for him), but I can't recall anyone going out on time off the top of my head. Kittel did make it sound the other day that the tail of the gruppetto was really flirting with the time limit on one of the stages, though.
Hi you.
She(?!)

plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby plytho » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:44 am UTC

ivnja wrote: It got me wondering, though. Has the green jersey ever been eliminated on time on a hard mountain stage?

I'm not sure about elimination but I do remember green jerseys giving up in past tours because they failed to cross the mountains.
he him his

Liri

Postby Liri » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:04 pm UTC

plytho wrote:
ivnja wrote: It got me wondering, though. Has the green jersey ever been eliminated on time on a hard mountain stage?

I'm not sure about elimination but I do remember green jerseys giving up in past tours because they failed to cross the mountains.

Matthews is much more of a Sagan-like hybrid rider, so if there are more days like yesterday he might take it. If not though, and Matthews struggles just as much on real mountain finishes, Kittel will surely wear it into Paris.

Today looks really really good but I've gotta go pick blueberries. Which isn't the worst thing in the world.

ivnja

Postby ivnja » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:51 pm UTC

What an amazing stage 15! Liri, if you get a chance I'd definitely try to watch a full replay before looking up results/highlights.
Spoiler:
First off, huge congratulations to Bauke Mollema for his first tdf stage victory, taking a minuscule gap that should never have stayed away and just driving for some 20 miles to put away Barguil and the chase.

The other big move was definitely the attack by AG2R at the base of the final Cat1 climb, which totally blew up the peloton and put Bardet in a great spot to try to gain some time. It didn't work out because Froome was able to get back on from 40 seconds down after the mechanical during the response (he's had a few of those at the base of climbs while facing attacks, hasn't he), but it caught Sky out in a big way and if it had succeeded would have been heralded as one of the brilliant moves of the tour so far. And it was a real treat from a fan's perspective, since it ended up bringing I think all of the top 10 together and led to a number of attacks and counter-attacks as they all tested each other's legs.

I do feel badly for Landa that he had to watch his 5th place position ride away down the road with Dan Martin while he stayed back to support Froome, but I'm loving watching Martin pulling back time after his crash with Porte the other day. I hope he does make the podium.

Also, there was a streaker on the last climb that they didn't quite cut away from in time. I wonder if he repeated his act for each group that rode by or if somebody came and took him away.
Hi you.
She(?!)

Liri

Postby Liri » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:29 pm UTC

I saw a portion - it was pretty rad. Stoked for the Moleman, but I was rooting for Dan Martin, too. I was looking forward to some more mix-ups in the yellow jersey, but I'll concede that Froome making that gap up is pretty impressive. It's "almost" like Aru didn't want to wear it any more. The pressure of keeping it with a pretty shambles team must have been a lot.

Picked 30 lbs of blueberries.

Liri

Postby Liri » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:52 am UTC

Good day today. 120 kms to go as I'm posting.

Very exciting.

Things are happening, maybe.

Edit: things didn't happen. Except Aru is cracking. Bardet and Uran as #1 and 2 is what I'm hoping for, in whichever order.

Another mountaintop finish tomorrow on the last real day. Froome didn't fare so well on the last one. Exciting!

ivnja

Postby ivnja » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:23 pm UTC

Well, some things happened. Not all good things, but things nonetheless.

First off, poor Kittel. Crashing out in a leader's jersey while everybody is just riding in a straight line on a fairly flat road is such a shitty way to go. I'm glad that Barguil came out of it ok, as did the flying Steve Cummings, and even Reinardt Janse Van Rensburg got through okay after not looking so hot as he was getting looked over. I'm impressed that Kittel did go (based on live updates that I've found from The Telegraph) another hour and a quarter after hitting the deck before he called it quits.

Contador made a brave attempt on the last climb and did pull back a couple places, although I'm sure it's far short of what he was hoping to do today - not to mention that he actually lost another half a minute on Froome in the process. Barguil also picked up a couple spots but lost a couple seconds. Looking through the top 12 from yesterday and today, the only rider who actually closed his individual gap to the yellow jersey was Uran (who was one of the big winners of the day, moving from fourth to second and getting those two seconds back by virtue of a better time bonus on the line than Froome). Bardet lost two seconds by missing out in the final sprint - I kind of wish he could have edged Froome at the line to get that bonus and move into second overall. Caruso and Quintana each lost two places and big time. Meintjes should be pretty pleased, having basically cutting his margin behind Yates in half for the white jersey. Aru lost out big time, having easily most disastrous day of the top contenders by getting caught out and losing over half a minute and his podium place. And of course, Froome will be thoroughly pleased with the day, getting Aru off his back and increasing gaps all around. [That's what's being shown in the right-most column - the difference in the gap behind the leader from stage 16 to stage 17 for each place, not for the individual riders occupying those places.]
Stage17.PNG

I do kind of like that Sky now hold both the yellow jersey and the Lanterne Rouge (Luke Rowe). I've wondered if Taylor Phinney might be quietly aiming for that, as it seems like he's been moving steadily backward since he wore polka dots. He only has to drop 5 more places and 00:15:49, which would...actually potentially be a bit of a challenge with only a couple days to go, now that I think of it, since he'd have to be careful finishing behind the gruppetto to not run afoul of the cut time. He's also a good time trialist, so he'd have to make a conscious effort not to gain time on Saturday. I get the feeling that managing to actually be the last-place finisher in the tour rather than just very low on the list would be something that he'd enjoy, though.

I like Froome, so I don't mind seeing him probably win the whole shebang again. If anyone does take it from him, though, I hope it's Bardet. He's the only other contender that seems to really have the team around him to do it, too. Perhaps we'll see a little more of Cannondale up front with Uran sitting in second, but I have a feeling he's going to continue to have to suss out the big climbs on his own and follow the wheels of other teams (which he's done quite well so far), and then try to work some magic in the time trial.
Hi you.
She(?!)

Liri

Postby Liri » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:19 am UTC

I like individual members of Sky, but the team as a whole annoys me.

And yeah, Kittel made it up the next mountain before calling it off, which is quite something. At least Matthews was already poised to take the green jersey before Kittel dropped. The green jersey fight has been pretty tame with Sagan and Co. out.

I feel like Quintana has been around forever, but he's only 27. He's got time.

Bardet has more of a shot at the yellow jersey with his team than Uran (or certainly Aru), but yeah, both of them have to content with Froome in time-trial mode. It seems to be a given that he'll come in a minute to a minute and a half in front of the rest of the GC crowd from analyses I've been keeping up with.

Liri

Postby Liri » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:10 pm UTC

Oh man, poor Bardet. Kudos to Uran Uran though!

Spoiler:
I want Landa to attack and take 3rd place tomorrow! :D :D :D :D

ivnja

Postby ivnja » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:12 am UTC

I was at a party all day and didn't get to actually watch the TT this morning. Articles are saying that Bardet sort of just bonked, though?
Hi you.
She(?!)

Liri

Postby Liri » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:09 am UTC

ivnja wrote:I was at a party all day and didn't get to actually watch the TT this morning. Articles are saying that Bardet sort of just bonked, though?

I took a grainy screenshot of the aftermath.
Spoiler:

It was pretty demoralizing for French fans. All the commentators had been saying for days that anyone hoping to beat Froome would need at least a minute and a half advantage going into the TT. They were pretty darn right.

ivnja

Postby ivnja » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:38 pm UTC

I did get to watch the rebroadcast this morning before today's stage started. I feel badly for the guy :/ Illness aside, he will have to work on his time trialling if he wants to win next year.

Commentary on the final stage so far (as of the unfortunate beginning of the rain on the second lap):

Spoiler:
Landa's fake attack right after the champagne got a laugh out of both the Sky riders and the NBCSN commentary team, and he did briefly get his virtual 3rd place on the road before dropping back in - I don't know if AG2R even noticed, though, since one of their riders was in the middle of proposing to his girlfriend at the time.

Froome somehow had another mechanical. It meant nothing, because it was so early on, but it seems to me like he's had an unusual number of those this year.

When the peloton went through the palace, the swimming and track graphics they superimposed on either side of the road were...interesting. They said they were promoting the Paris 2024(?) Olympic bid, but the graphics were very "early 90s computer game." I was underwhelmed.

I hope Voeckler makes an attack at some point, to go out in style.
Hi you.
She(?!)

Liri

Postby Liri » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:35 pm UTC

ivnja wrote:
Spoiler:
Froome somehow had another mechanical. It meant nothing, because it was so early on, but it seems to me like he's had an unusual number of those this year.

Spoiler:
It's the motor :wink:

It was a pretty tame tour in general, especially when it came to the jerseys. I'm really bummed Sagan wasn't in it for the whole thing. A lot of Sky riders are heading off to different teams next year, so hopefully that'll spice things up a bit. One team dominating just isn't fun to watch. Froome proved he could handle himself when it came to the TTs, but his team really hauled him through (especially Landa holy shit). (If you take out the TT stages, the final result would have been Uran, Bardet, Froome.)

I might watch more of the Vuelta this year.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:33 pm UTC

Not yet seen all of the final, nominally ceremonial/exhibition, stage (was busy at the other race). Sounds like nothing shocking to come, though.

It was a spectacle, the whole event. They have practice in that. A few more 'incidents' than usual? Not a clear run of domination, and some scalps lost to accident or adjudication...

ivnja

Postby ivnja » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:37 pm UTC

Liri wrote:I might watch more of the Vuelta this year.
Where do you go for coverage of the other races?
Hi you.
She(?!)

Liri

Postby Liri » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:54 pm UTC

ivnja wrote:

.......places

USians have few options, so I typically find a Eurosport stream where I can.

ivnja

Postby ivnja » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:43 am UTC

Liri wrote:
ivnja wrote:

.......places
Ah, wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more.

I'll take a look round.
Hi you.
She(?!)

Liri

Postby Liri » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:42 pm UTC

La Vueltaaaaaaaaa

(this is my first time really watching it, I'll admit)

This TTT is wicked with all the narrow roads and 90-degree turns.

ivnja

Postby ivnja » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:15 pm UTC

How's it been so far? I haven't watched any of it, although I did hear about Barguil - that's certainly a twist!
Hi you.
She(?!)

Liri

Postby Liri » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:43 pm UTC

ivnja wrote:How's it been so far? I haven't watched any of it, although I did hear about Barguil - that's certainly a twist!

I've been at goshdanged work! (and I forgot today)

Today was apparently really good, I'm bummed. I'll be sure to watch tomorrow.

Edit: tomorrow was pretty good. It was cool to see Froome win a stage for the first time this year. Poor Bardet!

ivnja

Postby ivnja » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:11 am UTC

I just saw video of this amazingly unlucky crash one of the riders from the AG2R developmental squad Chambéry CF had in the Tour de Moselle a little over a week ago. Hit a bump on a raised pedestrian crossing during an ITT and his aero bars popped off. His front tire also popped as he skidded, although he was already too far gone to correct it by that point even if he had gotten hold of the drops. End result: supermanning down the (fortunately wet) road on his hands and front at ~60km/h. Fortunately, he's okay and plans to be back racing by the end of the month.

Also, belated congratulations to Froome for taking the red jersey at the Vuelta...and the green jersey...and the white jersey...and two stages...
I really hope we don't find out in a couple years that he's doping.
Hi you.
She(?!)

Liri

Postby Liri » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:44 am UTC

ivnja wrote:Also, belated congratulations to Froome for taking the red jersey at the Vuelta...and the green jersey...and the white jersey...and two stages...
I really hope we don't find out in a couple years that he's doping.

I've talked with my cycling buddy at work a fair bit about this. It's not a secret what Team Sky is doing - using everything that is just within the realm of legality. Also look at their funding - this chart is in millions of euros - they've got enough money to have a team chock full of super domestiques, most of whom would be the top GC contender on any other team. Each cyclist on the team is a really nice guy, from what I've seen, including Froom (but not Wiggo who is apparently a huge asshole), but the team itself is killing healthy competition.

Meanwhile, Cannondale just lost their main sponser.

ivnja

Postby ivnja » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:22 pm UTC

Yeah, the Sky train and everything behind it is definitely a steep disadvantage for any other GC rider to overcome if they want to win a major tour that Sky is genuinely contesting. The team leader still has to be a pretty special rider to consistently finish it off, but you're right that Sky does have a couple super-domestiques that could step up and do it. Obviously Froome did so after Wiggins left.

I wonder how...non-elite(?) a rider they could place. George Hincapie was always my favorite growing up during the Lance years, and he was considered a super-domestique, but unlike top-5 guys like Froome (for Wiggins) and Landa, he never placed higher than 17th (clean - 13th while doping), and that was more than half an hour behind the winner. If you took Big George in his (clean) prime and put the Sky train in front of him, do you think they could pull him through?
Hi you.
She(?!)

Return to “News & Articles”