My Friend was Killed in a Terrorist Attack

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

jewish_scientist

My Friend was Killed in a Terrorist Attack

Postby jewish_scientist » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:24 pm UTC

Ezra Schwartz was stuck in traffic with some friends. A terrorist fired at his van. 3 people were killed. I know Ezra. We went to boy scouts together. Can anyone who can sign this?

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov//petit ... -terrorist

I do not want to start a debate on the Israel-Arab conflict. If you do not want to sign it for whatever reason then do not sign it. It would just help me if this petition went through.

sardia

Re: My Friend was Killed in a Terrorist Attack

Postby sardia » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:13 pm UTC

That's kinda unfair to use his death in a political way to console yourself, especially without debate. :( wouldn't you rather talk about it? You know to a friend?

Do you want to tell us what's going on?

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:17 pm UTC

I am sorry for your loss.

Is the petition something started by his family or something? I'm afraid I don't understand the context here.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:29 pm UTC

I don't understand the context here at all - Americans die abroad, in conflict and out of conflict, all the time. Why is this guy special, other than the fact that he was A ) Jewish and B ) killed by Muslims?

I'm sorry for your loss, but it seems like you're trying to take advantage of this in a way that makes me kind of uncomfortable. You aren't supporting his family or partner or whatever, you're just trying to push a larger political issue through the death of your friend.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

qetzal

Postby qetzal » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:00 pm UTC

Yes, if you want people to sign this, the least you should do is back up the factual claims in the petition.

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:49 pm UTC

I guess this article provides some context to the petition. The Obama administration has acknowledged Ezra Schwartz's death as an act of terrorism, but apparently the feeling is that they were too slow and unenthusiastic in doing so.
Exit the vampires' castle.

Cleverbeans

Postby Cleverbeans » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:05 am UTC

I believe that the leader of the number one arms dealing nation on Earth doesn't actually mind that terrorists killed you friend. They were the only veto on the security council resolution for Palestine to join the UN in 2011. Israel is a big customer, and strategically important geographically so military and strategic influences are at work here.

I'm sorry for your friends loss, but the President's words were placating and nothing more. He doesn't care, other than a pang of shared sadness that any kind man might have.

It's unfair, and it's unjust. I will mourn your friend with you. Tell me more about him. What did you do together in boy scouts? What kind of person was he? What charity work was he doing?
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." - Abraham Lincoln

Mambrino

Postby Mambrino » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:04 am UTC

Wasn't there a mod dictate that we should not have a discussion on the Israel-Arab conflict because it remains ...unproductive?

I mean, if we can't discuss the political side of this petition, maybe Dear SB would be better place for the "coping with a loss" support.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:28 pm UTC

Mambrino wrote:Wasn't there a mod dictate that we should not have a discussion on the Israel-Arab conflict because it remains ...unproductive?

I mean, if we can't discuss the political side of this petition, maybe Dear SB would be better place for the "coping with a loss" support.

I think there was a particular thread for that. It was long, and argumentative. I don't recall the precise details, and wouldn't mind such a discussion, but...this is a slightly different thing. I wouldn't mind either a discussion on appropriate responses to terrorism, or a coping with loss thread. I think it might be difficult to appropriately merge those two topics, though.

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:48 pm UTC

Wasn't there a mod dictate that we should not have a discussion on the Israel-Arab conflict because it remains ...unproductive?

Not because it's unproductive ( see some other topics for that...), but because the topic requires just too much modding. Easily more than all other topics together.

I wish you strength,Jewish_scientist. I'll lock this thread now.

Return to “News & Articles”