Saudis Mob Gas Stations as King Reduces Subsidies

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

sardia

Saudis Mob Gas Stations as King Reduces Subsidies

Postby sardia » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:20 pm UTC

http://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2 ... t-benefits
A new era in Saudi Arabia was demonstrated at gas stations across the country on Monday night: Long lines of cars stretched from the pumps as drivers filled up to beat price hikes announced by the government earlier in the day.

It was an unusual scene for the world's largest oil producer, but it underscored the economic impact of dramatically lower crude prices on a government budget that relies on it.The cuts unveiled Monday by government ministers represented a fundamental change in the country's social compact, which has maintained Saudi royal family control for decades. No taxation and no representation has been the equation in a country with no income tax on individuals, free education and health care, and heavily subsidized utilities — but now part of the deal has been rolled back."The era of plenty has come to an end. This is it. The party is over,"

Would you want to live in a country if there was no taxation and no representation? It's an interesting concept since so many people hate taxes.

Tyndmyr

Re: Saudis Mob Gas Stations as King Reduces Subsidies

Postby Tyndmyr » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:25 pm UTC

It depends on what else is there, really.

I'd imagine that so long as it didn't intrude on their lives overmuch, people would trade off rather a lot of representation for money up front.

Long term, I gotta imagine that no representation is going to lead to a disconnect, but...people don't always focus on long term overmuch.

ianf07

Postby ianf07 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:34 pm UTC

sardia wrote:Would you want to live in a country if there was no taxation and no representation? It's an interesting concept since so many people hate taxes.

Millions of people in the UK avoided paying the poll tax in the early 90s, even though that meant they couldn't vote.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:37 pm UTC

Half the US doesn't vote, even though it's free.

sardia

Postby sardia » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:03 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:Half the US doesn't vote, even though it's free.

Half the US doesn't get shot for protesting when they don't like something either. Not protesting vs being forbidden from protesting is different.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:13 pm UTC

Oh sure. Not trying to draw an equality, so much as speculate on how little the representative process is valued.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:56 am UTC

I don't like guns, I don't want to own a gun, but I'll be damned if the government says I can't have one.

Paul in Saudi

Postby Paul in Saudi » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:48 am UTC

This OP is simply not true.

I got up at the usual time the other day and noticed I needed gas. I went to the usual place. The usual gas pump guy was there. He asked me if I had heard about a a price increase, I hadn't. I got the gas at the old price. There was no line, there was no excitement.

Derek

Postby Derek » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:36 pm UTC

Paul in Saudi wrote:This OP is simply not true.

I got up at the usual time the other day and noticed I needed gas. I went to the usual place. The usual gas pump guy was there. He asked me if I had heard about a a price increase, I hadn't. I got the gas at the old price. There was no line, there was no excitement.

What city is this in?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see it in your profile. The article doesn't mention where the lines were seen, but I'm guessing Riyadh?

Return to “News & Articles”