Trump presidency

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

RCT Bob

Re: Trump presidency

Postby RCT Bob » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:42 pm UTC

Quantized wrote:
Fantastic Idea wrote:Also, people of Mexico and Australia, I am sorry our idiot in chief was very rude to your President/Prime Minister. We still love you and hope you can forgive us someday.

Dear Australia: not all Americans are Drumpf. Please remember that. Please buy us plane tickets so we can leave. It's scary here.

In other news,
-The UC Berkeley riots: http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/pro ... nt-n715711
Sounds like a peaceful riot was turned violent by "masked agitators" which sounds like a very convenient excuse for Drumpf to cry out about violence and start and crackdown.
-Rex Tillerson was voted in as Secretary of state: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/01/us/p ... .html?_r=0
For those that don't know/forget: Tillerson is an Exxon Mobil exec with close ties to Russia and Putin. That is who is now basically in charge of foreign policy for our country. Bad? I think so.
-Plenty of other things. There's too much happening, because Drumpf is doing what dictators do; pumping out outrage after outrage to keep people distracted and confused while things get worse.
If I made I mistake/said something incorrect in here, please let me know.

This stuff scares me too and I'm not even living in the US. If this bullshit keeps on going I'm genuinely scared it's going to escalate into a civil war. And a civil war in a country where everybody (stereotypically) has firearms cannot end well.If Europe already has troubles dealing with refugees coming from 24 million population Syria, dealing with refugees from the US in civil war would be pretty much impossible.
Last edited by RCT Bob on Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:45 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Quantized

Postby Quantized » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:43 pm UTC

Fantastic Idea wrote:Rex Tillerson really, really SEEMS like the devil, having worked for Exxon Mobil and embraced the whole 'who cares about the planet' theme that conservatives love so much, but I will give him one thing.
I guarantee he's a better negotiator than 45. Maybe Rex will spend the first few months of his time in the State Department on a new and different apology tour! Where he goes around to our long-time allies and promises we'll never invade, something like that.

I would be more comforted if "better negotiator then 45" was any sort of achievement. I honestly feel like Tillerson is a connection to Russia and Putin, and honestly I think Putin/Russia might be the end boss in all this. Putin played Drumpf like a puppet, and I don't know if that stopped.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:46 pm UTC

Oh, yeah they're all still horrible garbage monsters, I didn't mean to give any other impression.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:48 pm UTC

Yeah. I just feel like Tillerson is less likely to start WW3 over twitter....
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

Quantized

Postby Quantized » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:52 pm UTC

Dark567 wrote:Yeah. I just feel like Tillerson is less likely to start WW3 over twitter....

Mostly because he wouldn't make money off of it... oh wait maybe he would. He wouldn't start it over twitter though.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:07 pm UTC

Based on his experience he's only qualified to start wars over oil (guess what we're gonna be at war over? It's Oil!)

So, immediately after 45's 'totally not a muslim ban' Muslim Ban, we saw a horrific shooting in Quebec(and Fox News insisting that a muslim did it, right up until Quebec's mayor called them and asked them to stop), Nazi vandalism in Sacramento (swastikas and slurs spray painted on the walls in a broken-into restaurant and barber shop) and arson of a Mosque in Texas. I was curled up in a ball yesterday, so let me know what else I missed in terms of violence perpetrated by angry bigots. Seems like the people who were very excited about 'Trump's America' have decided that it's time to get out there and terrorize some muslims.
45 himself is, by all accounts, fine with this. He surely hasn't said anything against the people who would attack muslims, and the only majority-muslim countries he left out of his ban are of course oil producers.
We are so about to get all up in another middle east war for oil, you guys. It's gonna be yuuuge.

Quantized

Postby Quantized » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:12 pm UTC

Fantastic Idea wrote:Based on his experience he's only qualified to start wars over oil (guess what we're gonna be at war over? It's Oil!)

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay :|

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:28 pm UTC

To be fair, the Department of State's job is to prevent wars. So Tillerson won't be starting any wars.

The real question is by what means? Does the US foreign policy shift so that we start supporting Assad in Syria? That's the sort of questions that should have been asked.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:31 pm UTC

I feel like that's exactly what 45 has been saying, yes. He wants to work with Russia (because they're paying him in Rosneft shares) and work with Assad(because Russia likes Assad) and he wants to "take the oil" from Iraq. Probably from more places than Iraq, but he specifically said he would 'Take the oil' when discussing Iraq. That we failed as a nation when we didn't keep the oil last time.

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:32 pm UTC

RCT Bob wrote:This stuff scares me too and I'm not even living in the US. If this bullshit keeps on going I'm genuinely scared it's going to escalate into a civil war. And a civil war in a country where everybody (stereotypically) has firearms cannot end well.If Europe already has troubles dealing with refugees coming from 24 million population Syria, dealing with refugees from the US in civil war would be pretty much impossible.
There isn't a land bridge. And the North Atlantic isn't the Med. Trumps going to build a wall so refugee's couldn't go South. Look out Canada. Having said that, don't have a panic attack. It isn't likely soon. If you really have a need to worry, worry about who would control the nukes if a rebellion occurred.

Liri
Healthy non-floating pooper reporting for doodie.

Postby Liri » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:55 pm UTC

morriswalters wrote:worry about who would control the nukes if a rebellion occurred.

Ugh, South Dakotans
He wondered could you eat the mushrooms, would you die, do you care.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:50 pm UTC

Liri wrote:
morriswalters wrote:worry about who would control the nukes if a rebellion occurred.

Ugh, South Dakotans

Yup. We're fucked.

In all seriousness though, this is not surprising, but still not very encouraging: http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-h ... cs-n716161
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:01 am UTC

Don't pick on Dakotans. Besides a lot of those weapons are at sea on Boomers. Or elsewhere. :)

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:29 am UTC

morriswalters wrote:
RCT Bob wrote:This stuff scares me too and I'm not even living in the US. If this bullshit keeps on going I'm genuinely scared it's going to escalate into a civil war. And a civil war in a country where everybody (stereotypically) has firearms cannot end well.If Europe already has troubles dealing with refugees coming from 24 million population Syria, dealing with refugees from the US in civil war would be pretty much impossible.
There isn't a land bridge. And the North Atlantic isn't the Med. Trumps going to build a wall so refugees couldn't go South. Look out Canada. Having said that, don't have a panic attack. It isn't likely soon. If you really have a need to worry, worry about who would control the nukes if a rebellion occurred.

Isn't Rick Perry in charge of the agency that keeps tabs on our nukes? That feels really safe.

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:17 am UTC

If you felt safe about Nukes before Perry you just haven't been paying attention.

WibblyWobbly
Can't Get No

Postby WibblyWobbly » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:13 am UTC

Fantastic Idea wrote:
morriswalters wrote:
There isn't a land bridge. And the North Atlantic isn't the Med. Trumps going to build a wall so refugees couldn't go South. Look out Canada. Having said that, don't have a panic attack. It isn't likely soon. If you really have a need to worry, worry about who would control the nukes if a rebellion occurred.

Isn't Rick Perry in charge of the agency that keeps tabs on our nukes? That feels really safe.

Technically, not yet. Still has to be confirmed, I think. And just let me hang on to that technicality, please? I'm depressed enough as it is.

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:16 am UTC

http://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Politi ... nts-480446

The White House warned Israel on Thursday – in a surprising statement – to cease settlement announcements that are “unilateral” and “undermining” of President Donald Trump’s effort to forge Middle East peace, a senior administration official told The Jerusalem Post.

For the first time, the administration confirmed that Trump is committed to a comprehensive two-state solution to the Israeli- Palestinian conflict negotiated between the parties.

Well, that was unexpected. Sounds better than a blank check, whatever it means.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:34 am UTC

Fantastic Idea wrote:Isn't Rick Perry in charge of the agency that keeps tabs on our nukes? That feels really safe.
Better or worse than if it were Chandler Bing?

Chen

Postby Chen » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:39 pm UTC

Fantastic Idea wrote:So, immediately after 45's 'totally not a muslim ban' Muslim Ban, we saw a horrific shooting in Quebec(and Fox News insisting that a muslim did it, right up until Quebec's mayor called them and asked them to stop)

Uh it was our Prime Minister thank you. And to be fair there was a Moroccan man who was held as a suspect and reported as such earlier in the day after the shooting. That was revised to him being a witness later in the day, which Fox didn't seem to look at before their tweet (their tweet was after CBC was reporting the second man was in fact a witness not a suspect).

RCT Bob

Postby RCT Bob » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:38 pm UTC

morriswalters wrote:
There isn't a land bridge. And the North Atlantic isn't the Med. Trumps going to build a wall so refugee's couldn't go South. Look out Canada. Having said that, don't have a panic attack. It isn't likely soon. If you really have a need to worry, worry about who would control the nukes if a rebellion occurred.

True, but if it'd come to that, people would also fly from Canada to Europe and Australia, I don't think Canada would be able to handle all refugees on its own.

I don't think a civil war is imminent, but I think there is a distinct possibility for it in the longer term during Trump's presidency if things keep escalating in the direction they are now. The US seems so divided and there's so little overall understanding for the other side. If the demonstrations continue on for months, with riots and vandalism here and there (either from people participating in the demonstration or not), I can see Trump starting to go down hard against such demonstrations, and once that happens a civil war starts becoming a possibility. Granted, it's a doomsday scenario, but I don't see the possibility being negligible.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:53 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:
Fantastic Idea wrote:Isn't Rick Perry in charge of the agency that keeps tabs on our nukes? That feels really safe.
Better or worse than if it were Chandler Bing?

Miss Chanander Bong for President
Make America America America
Chen wrote:
Fantastic Idea wrote:So, immediately after 45's 'totally not a muslim ban' Muslim Ban, we saw a horrific shooting in Quebec(and Fox News insisting that a muslim did it, right up until Quebec's mayor called them and asked them to stop)

Uh it was our Prime Minister thank you. And to be fair there was a Moroccan man who was held as a suspect and reported as such earlier in the day after the shooting. That was revised to him being a witness later in the day, which Fox didn't seem to look at before their tweet (their tweet was after CBC was reporting the second man was in fact a witness not a suspect).

Sorry, I suppose I was in denial that it had to get to Fox from the PM. "Not seeming to look at the truth of the world" is like right in their mission statement I think.
morriswalters wrote:If you felt safe about Nukes before Perry you just haven't been paying attention.

1. Nothing about nukes feels 'safe'
2. Rick Perry literally didn't know that he would be in charge of the nuclear triad until his confirmation passed the first committee.

You know how every once in a while the Air Force or someone sends a bomber on a cross-country run without anyone noticing it has a live payload of nukes? I get the feeling that'll happen more often now.

elasto

Postby elasto » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:06 pm UTC

A former prime minister of Norway has spoken of his shock after he was held and questioned at Washington Dulles airport because of a visit to Iran three years ago.

Kjell Magne Bondevik, who served as prime minister of Norway from 1997-2000 and 2001-05, flew into the US from Europe on Tuesday afternoon to attend this week’s National Prayer Breakfast.

He was held for an hour after customs agents saw in his diplomatic passport that he had been to Iran in 2014. Bondevik said his passport also clearly indicated that he was the former PM of Norway.

“Of course I fully understand the fear of letting terrorists come into this country,” he told ABC7. “It should be enough when they found that I have a diplomatic passport, [that I’m a] former prime minister.

“That should be enough for them to understand that I don’t represent any problem or threat to this country and [to] let me go immediately, but they didn’t.”

Guess it's sorta good that they aren't showing any favoritism..?

link

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:19 pm UTC

Republican lawmakers are apparently running into trouble trying to "repeal and replace" The Affordable Care Act. Apparently replacing a huge piece of legislation with many interconnected parts that affects the lives of millions of people is not as trivial of a task as they originally thought, and they're worried that if they just explode the whole thing, it's going to make those millions of people furious at them. They're also faced with the problem that the law actually works pretty well, so any replacement that they introduce is likely to be more expensive, cover fewer people, or both.

Probably doesn't help that despite griping about the law for over half a decade, they never bothered to come up with a solid idea for what a replacement might look like.

Liri

Postby Liri » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:27 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:Republican lawmakers are apparently running into trouble trying to "repeal and replace" The Affordable Care Act. Apparently replacing a huge piece of legislation with many interconnected parts that affects the lives of millions of people is not as trivial of a task as they originally thought, and they're worried that if they just explode the whole thing, it's going to make those millions of people furious at them. They're also faced with the problem that the law actually works pretty well, so any replacement that they introduce is likely to be more expensive, cover fewer people, or both.

Probably doesn't help that despite griping about the law for over half a decade, they never bothered to come up with a solid idea for what a replacement might look like.

“It is more accurate to say ‘repair The Affordable Care Act,’”

I fucking hate republicans

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:19 pm UTC

elasto wrote:
A former prime minister of Norway has spoken of his shock after he was held and questioned at Washington Dulles airport because of a visit to Iran three years ago.

Kjell Magne Bondevik, who served as prime minister of Norway from 1997-2000 and 2001-05, flew into the US from Europe on Tuesday afternoon to attend this week’s National Prayer Breakfast.

He was held for an hour after customs agents saw in his diplomatic passport that he had been to Iran in 2014. Bondevik said his passport also clearly indicated that he was the former PM of Norway.

“Of course I fully understand the fear of letting terrorists come into this country,” he told ABC7. “It should be enough when they found that I have a diplomatic passport, [that I’m a] former prime minister.

“That should be enough for them to understand that I don’t represent any problem or threat to this country and [to] let me go immediately, but they didn’t.”

Guess it's sorta good that they aren't showing any favoritism..?

link

That's... interesting?

Wait, they are also stopping people who have visited those countries? I didn't know about that...

It is kind of funny -- and redicilous at the same time.

sardia

Postby sardia » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:32 am UTC

Trump's possible futures laid out.
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/14 ... peachment/
I'm hoping for 2, but I expect 1 or 3.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:28 am UTC

http://www.reuters.com/article/usa-trump-immigration-airlines-idUSL1N1FP02Q
Feb 3 U.S. Customs & Border Protection has informed U.S. airlines that they can once again board travelers who had been barred by an executive order last week, after it was blocked nationwide on Friday by a federal judge in Seattle, an airline official told Reuters.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:36 pm UTC

The customs and border guys were the most disorganized, uninformed group of Americans of all lately. They got no special information and were just as blindsided as the rest of us by the ban and had no idea how or when to enforce it.

Good job, 45. Good job.

Plasma_Wolf

Postby Plasma_Wolf » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:10 pm UTC

Now this is dangerous:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/sta ... wsrc%5Etfw

I can't think of anything more dangerous to a free society its president or prime minister delegitimizing impartial judges.

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:35 pm UTC

Fantastic Idea wrote:You know how every once in a while the Air Force or someone sends a bomber on a cross-country run without anyone noticing it has a live payload of nukes? I get the feeling that'll happen more often now.
I doubt that, but only because Perry has nothing to do with it.

sardia

Postby sardia » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:38 pm UTC

Plasma_Wolf wrote:Now this is dangerous:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/sta ... wsrc%5Etfw

I can't think of anything more dangerous to a free society its president or prime minister delegitimizing impartial judges.

His attack on the press/media was more dangerous than this one. And his attack on the mexican heritage judge was more dangerous. This one can easily be construed as "I'm gonna appeal, and it's gonna be overturned cuz I'm the one packing the Supreme Court."

AnonTech

Postby AnonTech » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:10 pm UTC

I find the mouseover text in http://xkcd.com/875/ to be scarily prophetic.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:35 pm UTC

AnonTech wrote:I find the mouseover text in http://xkcd.com/875/ to be scarily prophetic.

I seriously did not even notice that before.

scary.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:04 pm UTC

That is some Nostradamus level shit right there.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:14 pm UTC

Nostrodamus would have said (after translation to English, naturally) something like:

The 306th prime shall be divided by 45.
The citrus fruit shall grow within,
The once-and-future-burned building currently agleam,
His alternatives conquered all.

sardia

Postby sardia » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:28 am UTC

Soupspoon wrote:Nostrodamus would have said (after translation to English, naturally) something like:

I thought he would of said "I was talking about the Romans!" and "holy shit airplanes!"

Liri

Postby Liri » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:59 am UTC

sardia wrote:
Soupspoon wrote:Nostrodamus would have said (after translation to English, naturally) something like:

I thought he would of said "I was talking about the Romans!" and "holy shit airplanes!"

His predictions went to 3000-something, he definitely knew all about airplanes.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:03 am UTC

Trump travel ban upheld despite whitehouse trying to appeal.
Of note:
The Justice Department had argued states did not have the authority to challenge Mr Trump's executive order, nor the right to question his judgment on national security risk.

In its argument it said the president had "unreviewable authority" to prevent any group of foreigners from entering the country and said Friday's decision by Judge James Robart in Seattle was too general, the New York Times reported.

It also conflicted with a ruling by another federal judge in Boston, who had upheld Mr Trump's executive order, the department said.

Also, Trump defending Putin. He also thinks people are agreeing with him over the massive illegal voting problem.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

elasto

Postby elasto » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:20 am UTC

Plasma_Wolf wrote:I can't think of anything more dangerous to a free society its president or prime minister delegitimizing impartial judges.

On the one hand, I totally agree. When UK judges ruled that the executive didn't have the right to withdraw from the EU without the consent of parliament, I found it chilling that our government encouraged (or, at least, didn't condemn) the personal attacks that piled on the judges - including mocking their sexuality. In a country such as ours without a written constitution, it's more important than ever for judges to be impartial, free of political pressure and their judgements respected.

On the other hand, I've long viewed judges in the US to be thoroughly delegitimized already because of how openly partisan they are. The fact that one can predict how the supreme court will vote on any particular issue purely based on which party appointed them is a scandal. It's impossible to even pretend they are going to judge any issue impartially on its merits...

Return to “News & Articles”