Trump presidency

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

jewish_scientist

Re: Trump presidency

Postby jewish_scientist » Wed May 09, 2018 12:58 pm UTC

Here is my prediction of what will happen:

0) Trump said he is going to impose sanctions on anyone who trades with Iran.
1) The majority of Trump's advisors completely freak out.
2) Other countries with powerful economies, including several that are also are allies, will continue to trade with Iran.
3) Trump increases the tariff on some random good.
4) Trump claims increasing tariffs is equivalent or identical to imposing sanctions.
"You are not running off with Cow-Skull Man Dracula Skeletor!"
-Socrates

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed May 09, 2018 12:59 pm UTC

Can we just impeach already?

elasto

Postby elasto » Wed May 09, 2018 1:18 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Yes.

Well... Pakistan supported the Taliban prior to Al Qaeda's killing of thousands of US citizens, and gave Bin Laden safe haven for years afterwards.

Saudi Arabia fosters an extreme fundamentalism which gave birth to Bin Laden and others.

In terms of direct damage to US interests, seems like they have both been pretty bad.

Iran's been involved in some horrible sh*t, but there was movement in a positive direction by the moderates in government - just like how Obama was an improvement on Bush, though still flawed. It seems likely that movement will now be halted.

Came across this sadly prescient quote from an article at the time the deal with Iran was ratified:

The economy aside, this deal can provide much needed momentum for reformists as the country heads into the upcoming parliamentary elections in six months’ time. Many hope that Iran will become more politically and socially open. “If the reformists take the parliament, then we can take control of the country’s politics, and that will help to transform Iran much faster. There will be more political freedom, harsh laws can be changed, not only a better livelihood but also a better life will be in reach then,” says Akhlaghi.

However not everyone is overjoyed by the deal, Reza Moravjej, who has a goods distribution business in the central town of Kashan, near the enrichment facility at Natanz, says that he is filled with pride whenever he passes the nuclear site, but he’s dismayed that from now on there will be less centrifuges there, “There are two kinds of people in Iran, those who care more for their material wellbeing, and those like me who prefer to go hungry but not tolerate bullying. I just can’t stand countries that have tens of thousands of atomic bombs forcing us to have less centrifuges because they think we might build one.”

Moravej also has a hard time trusting Western powers, pointing to a spate of assassinations of Iranian scientists related to the nuclear development in past years as an example of how the International Atomic Energy Agency inspections were abused to harm Iran’s progress. “America has shown time and again it is untrustworthy, but that’s also why I’m not worried about the deal in Vienna, I’m certain they will go back on their word, somehow or other the Americans will themselves kill the deal.”

:(

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Wed May 09, 2018 1:26 pm UTC

Speaking of Trump wanting to undo all of Obama's legacy. 538 listed 10 of Obama's key achievements, one of them was killing Osama Bin Laden. Somehow now I'm imagining Trump with Bin Laden's body wired up with electrodes, shouting "it's alliiiiive!"

(EDIT: And now I'm seeing people make variations on this joke everywhere, making me look unoriginal)
Last edited by Mutex on Wed May 09, 2018 1:50 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

emceng

Postby emceng » Wed May 09, 2018 1:47 pm UTC

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/da ... rg-n872481

So this is basically bringing to light what everyone has been thinking since the beginning. Trump is getting money through back channels.

1) AT&T, who was being looked at for anti-trust concerns
2) Novartis, who got a meeting at Davos soon after
3) The fucking Russian oligarchs.

And that's just $1.1 million out of the $4.4 that went through Cohen's company in 16 months. My mind boggles at people still support these assholes.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Yablo

Postby Yablo » Wed May 09, 2018 5:35 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Can we just impeach already?

Not unless the House of Representatives can be convinced to do it, and that won't happen before the midterm elections. If the Republicans retain their majority in the House, it won't happen after the elections either.

Not that it matters much. Even if the House votes to impeach, the Senate will never allow it.
If you like Call of Cthulhu and modern government conspiracy, check out my Delta Green thread.
Please feel free to ask questions or leave comments.

Liri
Healthy non-floating pooper reporting for doodie.

Postby Liri » Wed May 09, 2018 6:20 pm UTC

Yablo wrote:
CorruptUser wrote:Can we just impeach already?

Not unless the House of Representatives can be convinced to do it, and that won't happen before the midterm elections. If the Republicans retain their majority in the House, it won't happen after the elections either.

Not that it matters much. Even if the House votes to impeach, the Senate will never allow it.

What is your opinion of leaving the JCPOA?
There's a certain amount of freedom involved in cycling: you're self-propelled and decide exactly where to go. If you see something that catches your eye to the left, you can veer off there, which isn't so easy in a car, and you can't cover as much ground walking.

Yablo

Postby Yablo » Wed May 09, 2018 6:48 pm UTC

Liri wrote:What is your opinion of leaving the JCPOA?

I think it was a poorly designed and implemented deal, and as it stands now, the U.S. should have no part of it, but I think backing out of it completely is a mistake unless it leads to the design and implementation of a better deal (which is far from a given).

I support Trump on a lot of issues, and I believe his foreign policy approach has been working out well so far, but this is one case where I'd like to see him exercise actual diplomacy rather than dictating how things are going to be and saying "take it or leave it."
If you like Call of Cthulhu and modern government conspiracy, check out my Delta Green thread.
Please feel free to ask questions or leave comments.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Wed May 09, 2018 7:11 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Iran supported just about every Shia militia in Iraq[citation needed] AND Al Qaeda[citation needed] in spite of being rabid anti-Shia in order to make the entire country ungovernable[citation needed], killing hundreds of thousands of Iraqis in order to weaken the US, also supporting the Taliban in Afghanistan[citation needed] for the same reason in spite of them also being rabidly anti-Shia, they basically own Hezbollah in Lebanon which was formed from the guys that bombed the American marine base in the early 80's and also traffics drugs into the US[citation needed] while Obama protected them (srsly) to say nothing of all the other stuff they do, they propped up Assad and without the Iranian support the regime would've fallen long before ISIS showed up and ISIS itself wouldn't have existed without earlier said support of the Iraqi portion of Al Qaeda[citation needed], they caused the Yemen civil war by propping up the worst Houthis they could find (seriously, read the Houthi flag), and really, just assume that every Shia terrorist and a quarter the Sunni terrorists[citation needed] are backed by Iran. Oh, as the cherry on top of the shit sandwich, while they weren't behind 9/11, the terrorists did travel through Iran first and the Iranians likely knew what was going on[citation needed] but they turned a blind eye to it[citation needed].

Pakistan has only backed the Taliban[citation needed], as Afghanistan is really a proxy war between India and Pakistan at this point.

Saudi Arabia doesn't directly support a lot of terrorists[citation needed], but they do provide the "moral support" in the form of funding the fundamentalist madrassas from which many groups recruit, and their private citizens do donate to the groups. Interestingly, though, most terrorists aren't born religious; most start off as petty criminals who find a meaning in life through the terrorist groups, or they are college students who are angry the world wasn't handed to them (seriously, a good chunk of these guys are basically Men's Rights Activists pissed that they can't get laid), or they are just poor farmers and such that are offered more money than they could ever hope to earn in years in order to join a group.
Bibliography where?

CNN: Iran calls Trump's reaction to ISIS attacks "repugnant"

Iran has slammed US President Donald Trump's response to Wednesday's twin terror attacks in Tehran as "repugnant", as the death toll from the ISIS-claimed assaults rose to 16.
"Repugnant WH (White House) statement & Senate sanctions as Iranians counter terror backed by US clients. Iranian people reject such US claims of friendship," Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif tweeted Thursday.

Zarif was responding to President Trump's statement following the bombings that said, "We grieve and pray for the innocent victims of the terrorist attacks in Iran, and for the Iranian people who are going through such challenging times."
It then added, "We underscore that states that sponsor terrorism risk falling victim to the evil they promote."
Six attackers mounted simultaneous gun and suicide bomb assaults on Iran's Parliament building and the tomb of the republic's revolutionary founder Ayatollah Khomeini in one of the most audacious assaults to hit Tehran in decades.

Before Foxer respawns and starts telling everyone that all Iranians do all day is squat in mud huts, eating donkey guts and thinking of ways to harm the US and a bunch of racist dickheads believe him and start chanting "Bomb! Bomb! Bomb!" maybe a look at the people some of you may be about to advocate massacring is in order.

Spoiler:

Those were taken in 2014. How old do you think Little Miss Ruby Slippers is now? About 14, perhaps?

It's a bigger country than Iraq, with a larger population, they're not as likely to turn on each other and they've seen what they can expect from the USMC if the USMC takes over their streets. I'd say trying to occupy Iran would go worse than trying to occupy Iraq did, and more and worse shit would happen.

I can't stop anyone from reacting to those pics with "Oh my GOD! They're not white Christian Americans! Kill them all!" but I can hope those lunatics will be vastly outnumbered, like 200 to 1 or something, and at least 2% of the more decent people will tell them to shut up and get a grip on reality.
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed May 09, 2018 9:04 pm UTC

How about you just spend 5 minutes on wikipedia first rather than demanding a cite for everything?

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Wed May 09, 2018 9:05 pm UTC

Sure, I can spend 5 minutes on wikipedia. What would you like me to edit?

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed May 09, 2018 9:12 pm UTC

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Thu May 10, 2018 12:54 am UTC

A modicum of bipartisanship, in 2018? Who’da thunk it! While not related directly to Trump, I think most people would support this measure to somebody degree — regardless of party affiliation. Who doesn’t be want some legislation to get done on immigration? Even if they don’t get anything done, they shouldn’t just ignore the issue like they’ve been doing now...

Liri

Postby Liri » Thu May 10, 2018 3:10 am UTC

Yablo wrote:
Liri wrote:What is your opinion of leaving the JCPOA?

I think it was a poorly designed and implemented deal, and as it stands now, the U.S. should have no part of it, but I think backing out of it completely is a mistake unless it leads to the design and implementation of a better deal (which is far from a given).

I support Trump on a lot of issues, and I believe his foreign policy approach has been working out well so far, but this is one case where I'd like to see him exercise actual diplomacy rather than dictating how things are going to be and saying "take it or leave it."

How was it poorly implemented? From all reports, it was working exactly as intended. Would you insist on tackling their ballistic missile program and regional meddling alongside a nuclear agreement? The JCPOA laid a foundation for mutual trust and cooperation to address those issues, which aren't unimportant.
There's a certain amount of freedom involved in cycling: you're self-propelled and decide exactly where to go. If you see something that catches your eye to the left, you can veer off there, which isn't so easy in a car, and you can't cover as much ground walking.

elasto

Postby elasto » Thu May 10, 2018 10:03 am UTC

Agreed.

Saying a deal is bad because it doesn't force Iran to slavishly submit every aspect of itself to foreign judgement is just shortsighted. Heck, the US doesn't even recognise the jurisdiction of the ICJ so much does it value its utter sovereignty. Why is there an expectation that other countries will and should automatically bow down? Every country has a proud people who hate even hints of giving up sovereignty - just look at the UK and Brexit.

A piecemeal approach, building trust on both sides, was a step forward and could have opened the door to new areas of agreement.

Maybe Iran will view Trump as a hardline nutter and agree to a broader, stricter deal, but on the face of it that seems like a tough sell internally. But we can hope.

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Thu May 10, 2018 10:23 am UTC

It was hard enough striking a deal when the US and Iran were both controlled by relatively dovish moderates and Rouhani still had credibility in his country. Trump's administration negotiating with whatever nutcase replaces Rouhani? One side wanting everything, the other side wanting to give nothing, neither budging an inch? Like I said, I don't think they'll even get to the point of sitting down together. And even if they did, it would be the most fruitless debate ever. And even if by some ridiculous miracle the two negotiating teams came to an agreement, Iran's leadership was extremely sceptical about the last deal, even before the US proved itself to be completely untrustworthy, no way in hell would they agree to any new deal.

elasto

Postby elasto » Thu May 10, 2018 10:49 am UTC

Sometimes the best person to deliver peace is a crazy or a warmonger - they carry a credible threat. However, I'm not convinced that war with Iran is a credible prospect - either in terms of being feasible militarily or in political terms. Not with the debacles in Iran and Afghanistan still ringing in everyone's ears...

Sure, we could rain down bombs on Iranian cities. Possibly even decapitate the leadership. But we've seen how brilliantly power vacuums work in the Middle East...

In addition, the hardliners in Iran have much more to gain from the US being an enemy than an ally. It's always easy to rally support around a common enemy, especially if you can credibly blame people's day-to-day economic woes on them. They had almost literally nothing to gain from this agreement, and even less to gain from a stricter one, which is why it was almost a miracle the moderates managed to push it through at all...

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Thu May 10, 2018 10:55 am UTC

With Bolton as National Security Adviser, I don't see the US standing by if Iran does try to make a nuclear weapon. And Iran will, especially if the US starts ramping up the threats of military action (see how well that worked with NK, and Iran doesn't even have the equivalent of China to back it up). And seeing as how Trump seems to think they can rely on threats to stop Iran getting nukes, the level of intimidation is going to be high.

War against a country the size of Iran would be disastrous, but Trump doesn't have the forward thinking to be able to avoid it.

Remember, this is the age of the unthinkable quickly becoming the reality.

elasto

Postby elasto » Thu May 10, 2018 11:33 am UTC

Having Bolton around is bad, and Israel's penchant for disproportionate responses ratchets up the dangers as well.

A single Iranian rocket launcher fired 20 or so rockets at Israeli positions in the Golan Heights overnight - not one of which injured a single person or damaged any equipment as per usual of course - and Israel is responding by carrying out - in their words - the biggest attack on the Iranian military in decades, hitting dozens of sites.

Even if Trump would ordinarily baulk at war with Iran, imagine if Israel pushes ground forces into Iran to take out a supposed nuclear testing site, and Iran responds by sending forces into Israel. America won't leave Israel to hang out to dry and could be dragged into a ground war like it or not...

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Thu May 10, 2018 11:48 am UTC

Soupspoon wrote:I'm wondering whether the UK will (despite current overtones) cosy up to the Trump madness or move even closer back to the EU in staying in the Deal-supporting club.

Wasn't it May who said "No deal is better than a bad deal"? Different context, but similar to Trump's apparent position on Iran. (The difference, I suppose, is that the Iran deal has already been signed).
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Thu May 10, 2018 11:50 am UTC

elasto wrote:Having Bolton around is bad, and Israel's penchant for disproportionate responses ratchets up the dangers as well.

A single Iranian rocket launcher fired 20 or so rockets at Israeli positions in the Golan Heights overnight - not one of which injured a single person or damaged any equipment as per usual of course - and Israel is responding by carrying out - in their words - the biggest attack on the Iranian military in decades, hitting dozens of sites.

Even if Trump would ordinarily baulk at war with Iran, imagine if Israel pushes ground forces into Iran to take out a supposed nuclear testing site, and Iran responds by sending forces into Israel. America won't leave Israel to hang out to dry and could be dragged into a ground war like it or not...

Yep, Israel and Saudi Arabia both seem intent on war with Iran. Getting rid of the Iran deal was the first step towards it.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Thu May 10, 2018 12:44 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
Soupspoon wrote:I'm wondering whether the UK will (despite current overtones) cosy up to the Trump madness or move even closer back to the EU in staying in the Deal-supporting club.

Wasn't it May who said "No deal is better than a bad deal"? Different context, but similar to Trump's apparent position on Iran. (The difference, I suppose, is that the Iran deal has already been signed).

That's just stupid words¹. As meaningless as "Brexit means Brexit", meant as a universal lure to those inclined to read their own meaning. What's a good deal? What's a bad deal? Maintaining the Single Market is either, depending on who you ask. Falling back on WTO-rules is also either. Keep all currently resident and working EU citizens, no questions asked, or send back everyone not born here (and probably a range of those who were), either way without regard of them being a brain surgeon or a farm labourer?

Spoiler:
We still have very little idea what the deal will be. Whatever the future deal, there will probably be a majority considering that it is worse, because it will have enough bits that are not tough enough for the tough-nuts and enough bits in it that are wah too tough for the soft-nuts and pretty much half those who voted (and an unknown number of the similarly-sized group of apathetics who didn't vote) already had decided they liked being in the EU and probably won't get much joy out of it.

Example: our fishermen who wanted to stop EU boats fishing 'our' waters may find that they can't go fishing outside our waters (where it isn't utterly international free-for-all regardless, where nothing will change except for overspill due to the slight expulsion of various fleets from various other waters) and given that fish don't respect/understand boundaries it's going to have to be either be highly coordinated so that the same fishing limits still apply for both sides (still 'causing the death of the fishing industry') or end up with a new Cod Wars scenario. Both ways, the new deal (or lack of it) will have enough points of contention to be worth complaining about.

As with ACA stuff, there's always something 'wrong' with a current deal, if not actually broken but need retuning to address a missed detail or three. Almost always, though, it's easier to look at fixes (that don't break another bit that isn't broken) than to chuck it away and forget that you ever had it. In extremis, take the old model and use that the general layout as a blueprint for the new one. Rear-wheel drive instead of front-wheel drive?² Hard to re-engineer on the fly into an old chassis, but the thing usually still needs four wheels, driver on a given side, similar passenger and luggage space with doors and other opening bits in thr same place, unless you're also moving the engine positiin siginificantly.

But what Trump is doing is scrapping the car because he doesn't like the colour of it, his base has been taunting him that it's a 'girly' colour, and the stereo doesn't have a CD slot and it smells of wet dog. Rather than respray it while getting a new sound system fitted (with some totally sick³ speakers in the boot for the bass(/"his base", geddit?)) and a full interior valeting to get rid of all the dog hairs and add a pine-fresh smell, he's all "I aint driving that hunk o' junk no mo'e" and starts to making up excuses as to why he isn't driving anywhere anymore.

(And I doubt any form of Mayism will last beyond the hazy future resolution date of an Iranian re-deal process. If it doesn't turn into an equivalent anti-regime conflict like with Iraq (but worse for the Allies) it'll drag out longer than May, whether or not it drags out longer than Brexit. Obama's ice-sculpture Deal might have been not a good likeness of peace, and always in danger of melting, but it was an achievement. Except to those people who see its smashing to pieces as an 'achievement' rather than just pushing it off the pedestal it was on.)

¹ Different versions exist. Trump's words are stupid words for stupid people, with the jury out whether he's a stupid person who just happened to float to the stupid top. May's inane tautologies are stupid words for people who actually consider themselves intelligent, and she's no slouch in the intelligence area but there's ideological and there's flexible, and I think she's got the wrong parts of each. Boris Johnson's words are intelligent words, although often uttered stupidly, intended to appeal to those who have a higher opinion of themselves than they ought to. Each has refined their individual approaches (as with every 'politician' who has reached the top) and been successful with it, but there's many others out there trying the same approaches who never got there, so they're just the 'lucky' ones who haven't quite got it wrong enough to fail. Yet!

² Apparently that's something real motorheads care about, and I know some of the reasons ("the wheels doing the steering don't also need to do the driving") although I prefer FWD (because I fully control the wheels doing both steering and driving, ironically, just seems more natural) and all-wheel-drive might be better but also negates everyone's arguments for F/RWD being better because of their own interpretstion of mechanical simplicity. Just saying!

³ I think it is. I had put "totally rad", but I may still be almost as outdated as I thought I was avoiding being.

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Fri May 11, 2018 11:43 am UTC

Extract from an argument for why Trump did the right thing with the Iran deal (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44072046):

The question for Trump was always this: will this Iran Deal end up being the equivalent to the North Korea deal struck by President Clinton 20 years ago?

The answer to him was obviously yes. Delaying the inevitable, appeasement through diplomacy, has a very bad track indeed with global bad actors like Iran.

I credit President Trump for recognising that fact.

However, now the hard work starts. We need to lead on a solution.

The world is looking to us, not to scrap complicated denuclearisation deals and then watch the fallout.

I count on this administration to roll up its sleeves and get to work on a better deal.

North Korea can take away from this one very important fact - don't enter into any negotiations or any deal with the intent on not complying with your end of the bargain.

Apart from the hilarious confidence in Trump's administration to get a better deal, or any deal at all at this point, the irony of the part in bold is truly breathtaking. I'm glad I was sat down when I read it.

Liri

Postby Liri » Fri May 11, 2018 12:01 pm UTC

Trump's "dealmaking" in the past couple decades largely consists of agreeing to assist and enable money laundering. Kim will probably convince Trump to support reunification of the Korean peninsula under the DPRK if he can put his name on a couple hotels

SDK

Postby SDK » Fri May 11, 2018 2:04 pm UTC

Mutex wrote:"North Korea can take away from this one very important fact - don't enter into any negotiations or any deal with the intent on not complying with your end of the bargain."

Or, at least, don't enter into any negotiations or any deal where Trump might maybe think that you might not be complying with your end of the bargain. Facts need not apply.
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Fri May 11, 2018 2:45 pm UTC

Or where you might be a convenient distraction for the next warmonger President.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Fri May 11, 2018 3:03 pm UTC

You mean Hillary, right?

Liri

Postby Liri » Fri May 11, 2018 3:20 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:You mean Killary, right?

Koa

Postby Koa » Fri May 11, 2018 3:59 pm UTC

SDK wrote:Or, at least, don't enter into any negotiations or any deal where Trump might maybe think that you might not be complying with your end of the bargain. Facts need not apply.

This just makes me wonder how much backstabbing is going on within the administration. It would only take a couple small lies, and everyone is so practiced at this point.
Last edited by Koa on Fri May 11, 2018 4:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri May 11, 2018 4:00 pm UTC

The Iran deal was one of Hillary's babies. She would wouldnt want to cancel it even if Iran was blatantly in violation of it.

Liri wrote:Trump's "dealmaking" in the past couple decades largely consists of agreeing to assist and enable money laundering. Kim will probably convince Trump to support reunification of the Korean peninsula under the DPRK if he can put his name on a couple hotels

No, his dealmaking amounted to borrowing more than the bank could afford to lose, getting the bank to forgive a portion of the debt and sign a nondisclosure, pocket the difference and move on to the next bank, who knew exactly what was going on but didnt care because they sell all their debts to a third bank or a hedge fund anyway so its not their neck on the line.

Liri

Postby Liri » Fri May 11, 2018 4:33 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:The Iran deal was one of Hillary's babies. She would wouldnt want to cancel it even if Iran was blatantly in violation of it.

Liri wrote:Trump's "dealmaking" in the past couple decades largely consists of agreeing to assist and enable money laundering. Kim will probably convince Trump to support reunification of the Korean peninsula under the DPRK if he can put his name on a couple hotels

No, his dealmaking amounted to borrowing more than the bank could afford to lose, getting the bank to forgive a portion of the debt and sign a nondisclosure, pocket the difference and move on to the next bank, who knew exactly what was going on but didnt care because they sell all their debts to a third bank or a hedge fund anyway so its not their neck on the line.

Back in the day, sure, but almost no domestic, reputable banks since the 90s have agreed to lend to him. The Trump Inc. podcast episode on the Taj Mahal casino is ridiculous (the whole series is worth listening to, and the episodes are fairly short).

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Fri May 11, 2018 6:47 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:Apparently that's something real motorheads care about, and I know some of the reasons ("the wheels doing the steering don't also need to do the driving") although I prefer FWD (because I fully control the wheels doing both steering and driving, ironically, just seems more natural) and all-wheel-drive might be better but also negates everyone's arguments for F/RWD being better because of their own interpretstion of mechanical simplicity. Just saying!
As the BMW ad used to say: "When the wheels that drive a car also steer the car, a loss of control can result ... "

What the ad left out was: " ... from the driver being an impatient, imcompetent, egocentric dickhead who thinks paying three times as much for a 20% higher top speed entitles him to ignore everyone else's safety, the law and physics."

Being able to steer the drive-wheels means you can point them in the direction of travel and drive them that way at the speed of travel to recover from a skid, then have another go at making that turn. Rear-wheel-drive fishtails, broadsides, spins out and generally makes a mess. What the speedies like about RWD is that driving the steered wheels means driving universal joints, which consume some of the engine's power output, and, according to Misfile, that when a car accelerates hard and the vector polygon things press the rear wheels against the road harder than the front, a FWD car loses traction on its drive wheels, limiting acceleration, while a RWD car gains traction, allowing it to keep pushing hard.

AWD is for things like this:

... which need to drive all their wheels to crawl through the slippery, sticky mud.

People tend to get confused about 4x4s, though, and think that they're somehow magically better at cornering.

Actually, unless you're driving front, rear and centre differentials, you're trying to drive all four wheels at the same speed, and that's only fine in a straight line. As soon as you're turning at all, you want your wheels to travel over the ground at four different speeds (except in the rare and special case where the rear wheel on the outside of the turn is in the track of the front wheel on the inside of the turn) and that means you're already pushing them towards a skid, so a 4x4 either sheds a lot of power in diffs or shreds its tyres and skids more easily. They also seem to have the peculiar effect of making people feel entitled to roll out of the Odeon car park, blocking traffic trying to leave the roundabout, and edge forwards until the people approaching the roundabout just can't get by in front of them any more and have to let them out or until the resultant lockup on the roundabout means there's nowhere for anyone to go by getting past in front of them.

Trump, meanwhile, says he's got a great driver, the best driver, and he's going to build a huge car with chainsaws on the wheels and make pedestrians pay for it so Americans can drive on their roads again without having to pay for fuel ... and then he spends $1500000 of your money on this:

... and tells you to push.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Fri May 11, 2018 7:11 pm UTC

Yep, turning (and clutching) the wheels to regain/stop-starting-to-lose grip just seems so natural to me.

Sableagle wrote:Trump, meanwhile, says he's got a great driver, the best driver, and he's going to build a huge car with chainsaws on the wheels and make pedestrians pay for it so Americans can drive on their roads again without having to pay for fuel ... and then he spends $1500000 of your money on this:

Spoiler:

(Probably one of the above, if not the photobucket one that doesn't link any more. The link needed work to disentangle from the Google intermediary. Good joke, any which way, though.)

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Sat May 12, 2018 1:22 pm UTC

Sableagle wrote:People tend to get confused about 4x4s, though, and think that they're somehow magically better at cornering.

I guess the differentials give you extra weight close to the ground, which ought to help a bit...

That "if you can read this..." notice is a bit odd. Was it photoshopped on, or did they think that a witticism that would only be revealed in the aftermath of a possibly fatal accident would be just the thing for their PR?
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Sat May 12, 2018 2:18 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:That "if you can read this..." notice is a bit odd. Was it photoshopped on, or did they think that a witticism that would only be revealed in the aftermath of a possibly fatal accident would be just the thing for their PR?

If it's real I imagine it was painted by/for the owner, not by the manufacturer

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sat May 12, 2018 2:20 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:That "if you can read this..." notice is a bit odd. Was it photoshopped on, or did they think that a witticism that would only be revealed in the aftermath of a possibly fatal accident would be just the thing for their PR?
I think they put it on with the text upside-down as a way of signalling to the world that they're brave and adventurous and hardcore and unafraid of risks. It would be visible from behind while in traffic, too, if not for that spare tyre.

Closest matches I found. It's hard to tell whether it's flush with the bodywork or protrudes in the square-on image after it flipped.

https://www.google.com/search?q=if+you+ ... s&tbm=shop

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Sat May 12, 2018 6:23 pm UTC

A google search shows it's a pretty common bumper sticker, typically associated with Jeep products.

IMO it's supposed to mean that the driver actually uses their Jeep for offroading, not just commuting back and forth to work and soccer practice.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Sun May 13, 2018 5:16 pm UTC

#MakeChinaGreatAgain?

It's got to be comedy. All along, it's been a parody account.

Liri

Postby Liri » Sun May 13, 2018 10:40 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:#MakeChinaGreatAgain?

It's got to be comedy. All along, it's been a parody account.

I really thought this was fake, at first.

Is this better or worse than shooting someone on 5th Avenue?

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Mon May 14, 2018 2:14 pm UTC

Apparently the US manufactures a bunch of the components for that company's phones. Now his trade policies are shown to actively harm the American labor market.

US embassy "moves" to Jerusalem, hundreds of wounded and dozens of dead follow. This is what happens when two megalomaniacs only looking after their own popularity and power conservation conduct a fruitless and functionless act.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

Return to “News & Articles”