Trump presidency

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

morriswalters

Re: Trump presidency

Postby morriswalters » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:56 pm UTC

There are mornings I wake up and wish I was British as well. On the other hand I don't by into the Empty Suit being muzzled. Nor the ability of his two accomplices in his assault on reality, to do so. My personal opinion is that at least some of it is a distraction. But I'm paranoid.

ivnja
The spirit of things can bugger right off.

Postby ivnja » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:54 pm UTC

From the "oh, what a surprise" files, Trump proves once again that he's a stupid, hypocritical bastard, this time about respecting the flag and the military.
Hi you.
She(?!)

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:57 am UTC

morriswalters wrote:There are mornings I wake up and wish I was British as well.

Hmm, well our economy is in decline, our credit rating has been downgraded, our currency is increasingly worthless and we've voted "by a massive majority" (52-48) to jump off a cliff. Oh, and the prat whose only job is to negotiate our Brexit deal now says it's fine if we don't get a deal at all (I wonder if we get his salary back). There have to be better things to wish to be. I often wish I was my spaniel, for instance.

So, in 24 hours trumpy has disrespected the flag and passed an executive order to undermine the US healthcare system. Another day of fun.
Spoiler:
Giant Speck wrote:You're a demon! DEMON!!!!

Oregonaut wrote:CURSE YOU VILLAIN!!
PhoenixEnigma wrote:Jumble is either the best or worst Santa ever, and I can't figure out which. Possibly both.

sardia

Postby sardia » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:47 pm UTC

http://www.npr.org/2017/10/12/557367017 ... -save-coal
Trump's energy secretary proposed that we subsidize coal and place tariffs on solar panels. These two moves will radically reshape the energy sectors as prices will skyrocket in order to pay for a mandatory 90 day coal and nuclear fuel reserve.
Welcome to corporate welfare, Trump edition.

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:04 pm UTC

Oh, and now he's going to bugger up all the hard work on the Iran deal, helping Iran to become more hard-line and a nuclear state. He must be having a fun couple of days.

Think you could part-exchange him for Kim Jong-un? I think he may do a better job. Your president is a skid-mark on the lavatory bowl of humanity.

[Before anyone complains, happy to credit that beautifully crafted insult to the late, truly great, Iain Banks].

On a serious note, is there anywhere on the internet that is keeping a log of the growing list of trumpy fuck-ups, disasters and cynical screwing of the US public? You may need it at the next election.
Spoiler:

PhoenixEnigma wrote:Jumble is either the best or worst Santa ever, and I can't figure out which. Possibly both.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:15 pm UTC

Jumble wrote:On a serious note, is there anywhere on the internet that is keeping a log of the growing list of trumpy fuck-ups, disasters and cynical screwing of the US public? You may need it at the next election.

Americans have an amazingly short attention span and memory for politics. I may be cynical, but most people will vote entirely based on the (R) or (D) next to the name on the ballot. Those that bother to vote of course.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Liri
Healthy non-floating pooper reporting for doodie.

Postby Liri » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:20 pm UTC

Jumble wrote:Oh, and now he's going to bugger up all the hard work on the Iran deal, helping Iran to become more hard-line and a nuclear state. He must be having a fun couple of days.

Think you could part-exchange him for Kim Jong-un? I think he may do a better job. Your president is a skid-mark on the lavatory bowl of humanity.

[Before anyone complains, happy to credit that beautifully crafted insult to the late, truly great, Iain Banks].

On a serious note, is there anywhere on the internet that is keeping a log of the growing list of trumpy fuck-ups, disasters and cynical screwing of the US public? You may need it at the next election.

The Washington Post and NYT are both recording his lies/misstatements/falsehoods and WaPo is also keeping a record of leaks from within the WH and GOP leadership describing him as an immature child.

I'm sure there are others.

And yeah, what freezeblade said - it's mostly about getting your folks to turn out and the other guy's to stay home.
He wondered could you eat the mushrooms, would you die, do you care.

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:15 pm UTC

I may be cynical, but most people will vote entirely based on the (R) or (D) next to the name on the ballot.

But are they wrong? If someone agrees with the Republican platform on most issues, then surely Trump is a better president (in their eyes) than Clinton? Even if they also think that he's a lying, vile idiot, and wish that there had been a better republican candidate on the ticket?

I mean, the NY times can publish a hundred pages of Trumpian lies and errors. He still has a cabinet of Republicans pushing Republican policies, and the alternative was a cabinet of Democrats pushing Democratic polices.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:33 pm UTC

There's a difference between voting just because of the party affiliation, and tending to vote for one party because they tend to align best with your policy preferences. For example, I tend to vote Democrat for many offices in many elections, but I'm continually disappointed with the Democrats, and every election I look over all the candidates for every office hoping (but not expecting) to find someone offering a better platform, and sometimes there's a third party candidate who does, but usually I end up just sighing and picking the least crappy of the available crappy options which is usually the crappy Democratic candidate.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Zamfir

Postby Zamfir » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:56 pm UTC

There's a difference between voting just because of the party affiliation, and tending to vote for one party because they tend to align best with your policy preferences.

That's like the joke of the irregular verbs, isn't it? I vote for the party that best aligns with with my policy preferences, you vote on party affiliation, he pulls the lever for anyone with an (R) after the name.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:07 pm UTC

Trump is cutting the subsidies for the ACA but no news Corp is telling me WHICH subsidies. Please not the CSR...

sardia

Postby sardia » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:58 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Trump is cutting the subsidies for the ACA but no news Corp is telling me WHICH subsidies. Please not the CSR...

It's exactly the cost sharing reduction payments that are being cut. CSR were under lawsuit since the GOP claimed there wasn't a mandate to pay for them, but Obama paid for it anyway. Trump finally decided to stop paying for it after threatening it for months.
Zamfir wrote:
I may be cynical, but most people will vote entirely based on the (R) or (D) next to the name on the ballot.

But are they wrong? If someone agrees with the Republican platform on most issues, then surely Trump is a better president (in their eyes) than Clinton? Even if they also think that he's a lying, vile idiot, and wish that there had been a better republican candidate on the ticket?

I mean, the NY times can publish a hundred pages of Trumpian lies and errors. He still has a cabinet of Republicans pushing Republican policies, and the alternative was a cabinet of Democrats pushing Democratic polices.
While that does happen, the interesting points are how a person's convictions change when the party label is applied. Most voters don't have a fine grasp of party platform, just a broad overview. So if you claim your party claims X, then your support for X goes up automatically, but it'll go down if you claim that the opposition party supports X.
Partisanship is a hell of a drug. The best example is how much the Republican party hated Russia. They were the hawks on Russia...until Trump got elected. Then support for Russia became a partisan issue, so now more Republicans want a softer hand on Russia.

Zamfir

Postby Zamfir » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:41 am UTC

If you zoom in on particular policies, your can easily lose the forest for the trees. After all, there are many more areas where Trump (and his cabinet!) are following in the standard republican tradition, or at least closer than to anything a democratic presidential might have done.

But even if we zoom in: Trump's position on Russia is not completely out of the blue. Long before Trump came along, you could see a strain of Putin-respect among American conservatives.

sardia

Postby sardia » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:00 am UTC

Zamfir wrote:If you zoom in on particular policies, your can easily lose the forest for the trees. After all, there are many more areas where Trump (and his cabinet!) are following in the standard republican tradition, or at least closer than to anything a democratic presidential might have done.

But even if we zoom in: Trump's position on Russia is not completely out of the blue. Long before Trump came along, you could see a strain of Putin-respect among American conservatives.

Are you saying there is no partisanship effect or that the Russia doves get amplified by Trump's soft spot for Putin?

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:00 pm UTC

Trump boasts about being humble

You couldn't make this shit up.
Spoiler:

Plasma_Wolf

Postby Plasma_Wolf » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:03 pm UTC

I think that he'll try to convince you that he can become miss universe if you tell him that he's not suited for it.

Just be careful Trump, if you're going for the title of miss universe, you're going to be groped. By yourself :D

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:38 pm UTC

Plasma_Wolf wrote:I think that he'll try to convince you that he can become miss universe if you tell him that he's not suited for it.

Just be careful Trump, if you're going for the title of miss universe, you're going to be groped. By yourself :D

So...

Maybe we could try telling him he isn't Steve Irwin?

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:39 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:If you zoom in on particular policies, your can easily lose the forest for the trees. After all, there are many more areas where Trump (and his cabinet!) are following in the standard republican tradition, or at least closer than to anything a democratic presidential might have done.

I think it's more the authoritarian-leaning conservatives like dictators, and always have (regardless of the claim to work for 'smaller government'.)
"Trying to build a proper foundation for knowledge is blippery."
"Squirrels are crazy enough to be test pilots."
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

K-R

Postby K-R » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:31 pm UTC

Jumble wrote:Trump boasts about being humble

The best part is Pence nodding as soon as Trump interrupts.

Koa

Postby Koa » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:13 am UTC

Jumble wrote:Trump boasts about being humble

I showed this to a supporter many months ago, who is still waist deep in the crazy. Their response: "Well maybe he's right. Maybe she doesn't know. I don't know how well researched she is on him." I paused for a second to let that soak in, then explained the absurdity of bragging about how humble you are in such a way that that it puts down and interrupts the person you're speaking to. Their response was to repeat. There's nothing left to say at that point. I very briefly considered bringing up Lesley Stahl's credentials and how probably weeks before the interview it was her job to prepare for that interview. It shouldn't matter, it's a purely stupid thing for any person to say. It belongs in a sitcom for the egomaniac to say and for the audience to laugh at how over the top it is. If he won't even cede that then why bother.

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:47 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:

The question is one of policy alignment vs. base tribalism.

If the voters are voting on policy alignment then the parties have to remain (relatively) true to their policy platforms to maintain their support, and policies that harm their base will result in reduced support.

If the voters are operating on a tribal basis ("I vote Republican because Pappy voted Republican and GrandPappy voted Republican before him...") then actual policy alignment doesn't really matter, the support remains as long as the party brand name doesn't change.

The first is how a party-system democracy is -supposed- to work. The latter is problematic in that not only can it let a party continue to have support from people who would (with the "Brand Name" of the party stripped off) not support the policies put forward by that party, but can actually generate support for heinous policy positions and horrifying candidates simply because they're being run under one banner or another.

Unfortunately tribalism is a very powerful psychological motivation (product marketing is built largely on the psychology of brand name recognition and group membership), and will often override the analysis required to examine actual policy alignment.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb

Postby ObsessoMom » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:58 pm UTC

FACEPALM ALERT

Trump taps climate skeptic to lead White House environment office
The Hill wrote:The White House late Thursday announced that Trump picked Kathleen Hartnett White to serve as a member, and eventually chairwoman, of the Council on Environmental Quality (CEQ).

The Hill wrote:CEQ advises the president on environmental matters and ensures federal agencies comply with the National Environmental Policy Act, which requires a thorough assessment of a project's impacts before the government can undertake a host of potential actions.

Here's what she wrote in an op-ed published at The Hill last year:

Restrain the imperial EPA
Kathleen Hartnett-White in The HIll, 6/17/16 wrote:Obama and his lieutenants, such as Secretary of State John Kerry, now demonize carbon as "perhaps the world's most fearsome weapon of mass destruction." The truth is that our bodies, blood and bones are built of carbon! Carbon dioxide is a necessary nutrient for plant life, acting as the catalyst for the most essential energy conversion process on planet earth: photosynthesis.

Carbon dioxide is an odorless, invisible, harmless and completely natural gas lacking any characteristic of a pollutant. It doesn't contaminate or defile the air, as actual pollutants do. Ambient levels of carbon dioxide in the air we breathe have zero adverse health effects, in contrast to high levels of genuine pollutants listed in the Clean Air Act like lead and mercury. With good reason, the EPA has not set health-based limits on the ambient concentration of carbon dioxide. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) does set some advisory levels for prolonged exposure to carbon dioxide in tightly enclosed spaces, but they are set at more than 10 times the current level to which humans are routinely exposed.

Carbon dioxide is also a key ingredient in our food supply, about 60 percent of which depends upon fossil fuel-based fertilizers. How do our national leaders square their public vilification of carbon dioxide with fundamental scientific and economic realities? Such political propaganda has now educated at least two generations of Americans who think carbon is a killer instead of the stuff of life on the earth.

In the second decade of the 21st century, humanity sits atop two centuries of major advances in physics, biology and chemistry that have applied hydrocarbon compounds for mankind's benefit. Yet the climate doomsayers of our age employ the term "carbon" as if it were a poison threatening the survival of civilization.

I guess if there's a silver lining, White's nomination to such a science-based policy position proves my classics professors right--you really can do anything with a liberal arts degree!
desmogblog.com wrote:
Kathleen Hartnett-White

Credentials

M.A., Humanities & Religion, Stanford University. [1], [2], [3]
B.A. Humanities & Religion, Stanford University. [1], [2], [3]
Attended Doctoral Program in East Asian and comparative Religions. [1], [3]
Completed one year of law school at lowa Texas Tech University. [1], [3]

(If you want to check those footnotes, this is from the DeSmog Blog's webpage for her--filled with additional...um...interesting...quotations, including her having told Rolling Stone last year, “We're not a democracy if science dictates what our rules are.”)
Last edited by ObsessoMom on Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:03 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Liri
Healthy non-floating pooper reporting for doodie.

Postby Liri » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:02 pm UTC

That is some top-tier sophistry going on.
He wondered could you eat the mushrooms, would you die, do you care.

ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb

Postby ObsessoMom » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:18 pm UTC

Trump's nomination of Barry Myers to run NOAA (the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration) isn't great news, either. At least we got a sort-of amusing headline out of it:

Trump’s pick for NOAA chief causes a storm

Politico wrote:As a top executive at AccuWeather, Barry Myers has pushed for limits on the kinds of products that the National Weather Service offers to the public, saying they offered unfair competition to his industry.

Now, President Donald Trump's nomination of Myers to lead the weather service's parent agency could allow him to make those kinds of restrictions mandatory — to the benefit of his family-run forecasting company.

The AccuWeather CEO's nomination to head the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration is stirring criticism from people who worry he would hobble the weather service, which provoked an industry backlash more than a decade ago by making hour-by-hour forecasts, cellphone alerts and other consumer-friendly data widely available online. A bill that Myers supported 12 years ago, sponsored by then-Sen. Rick Santorum, would have prohibited the agency from competing with private providers in most circumstances.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:25 pm UTC

Liri wrote:That is some top-tier sophistry going on.

To call her a "climate change skeptic" is way too flattering. Even most climate change deniers have at least familiarised themselves with the basic outline of the AGW narrative. That article is truly breathtaking in its willful ignorance of the subject. There must be people reading that and saying "sure, the whole climate change thing is a Chinese hoax perpetuated by the Rothschilds, but .... seriously, what the fuck?!". I mean, surely to write that horseshit she would have to not actually have any idea how it's supposed to work?
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Plasma_Wolf

Postby Plasma_Wolf » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:26 pm UTC

I'm using both of my hands for this facepalm, let me see if I can get my foot up there as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDYba0m6ztE

We should not have a discussion with people who are just plain wrong about what they're saying. Why do they get a platform to come up with their nonsense? We should make them educate themselves and if they then still want to take part they can do that, but not as long as they haven't got a clue WTF they're on about.

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:10 pm UTC

Jumble wrote:On a serious note, is there anywhere on the internet that is keeping a log of the growing list of trumpy fuck-ups, disasters and cynical screwing of the US public? You may need it at the next election.
bit late but theres
https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.com
Am I gregnant
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Quercus wrote:Agreed, but "constitutional fetishism" doesn't have that lovely alliteration between fetishism, first and fucking
rath358 wrote:I have been replaced D:

jewish_scientist

Postby jewish_scientist » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:25 pm UTC

ObsessoMom wrote:Here's what she wrote in an op-ed published at The Hill last year:

Restrain the imperial EPA
Kathleen Hartnett-White in The HIll, 6/17/16 wrote:Obama and his lieutenants, such as Secretary of State John Kerry, now demonize carbon as "perhaps the world's most fearsome weapon of mass destruction." The truth is that our bodies, blood and bones are built of carbon! Carbon dioxide is a necessary nutrient for plant life, acting as the catalyst for the most essential energy conversion process on planet earth: photosynthesis.

Carbon dioxide is an odorless, invisible, harmless and completely natural gas lacking any characteristic of a pollutant. It doesn't contaminate or defile the air, as actual pollutants do. Ambient levels of carbon dioxide in the air we breathe have zero adverse health effects, in contrast to high levels of genuine pollutants listed in the Clean Air Act like lead and mercury. With good reason, the EPA has not set health-based limits on the ambient concentration of carbon dioxide. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) does set some advisory levels for prolonged exposure to carbon dioxide in tightly enclosed spaces, but they are set at more than 10 times the current level to which humans are routinely exposed.

Carbon dioxide is also a key ingredient in our food supply, about 60 percent of which depends upon fossil fuel-based fertilizers. How do our national leaders square their public vilification of carbon dioxide with fundamental scientific and economic realities? Such political propaganda has now educated at least two generations of Americans who think carbon is a killer instead of the stuff of life on the earth.

In the second decade of the 21st century, humanity sits atop two centuries of major advances in physics, biology and chemistry that have applied hydrocarbon compounds for mankind's benefit. Yet the climate doomsayers of our age employ the term "carbon" as if it were a poison threatening the survival of civilization.

You have to admit, she is good at making arguments. Seamlessly combining a Straw-Man Fallacy and a moving the Goal Post Fallacy is quite the achievement.

elasto

Postby elasto » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:34 pm UTC

That is a really bizarre argument.

So when the tsunami struck in 2004 killing a quarter of a million and displacing many more, presumably she regarded that as overblown also because 'the human body is 60% water' and water is 'a necessary nutrient for all life'..?

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:27 pm UTC

Cyanide is perfectly safe. It's composed of carbon and nitrogen, both of which are essential to life.

Our Supreme Leader once said, "you know what to do". :)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

elasto

Postby elasto » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:29 am UTC

Sunlight is also vital to all life on earth. So would Ms Hartnett-White have no objection to a giant magnifying glass hovering above her focusing 'natural, wholesome sunlight' onto various vulnerable extremities?

Her argument is one a high-school student would be ashamed of making. It's appalling if it was done with any sincerity, and equally appalling if it wasn't.

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:31 pm UTC

Most politicians lie because they value the truth. They want to convince you that something (false) is true, because truth itself (and thus the belief that something is true) is an important thing.

Trump's lies are different, and not just because of their quantity. Trump lies so obviously and outlandishly that the only purpose I can see for them is to undermine the very idea of truth. It sends the message "truth doesn't matter, I'm doing it anyway and you can't stop me", and this message is being lapped up by the American people.

Piece by piece we are being prepared for the Fourth Reich.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:40 pm UTC

Lying also serves as a loyalty test and function. Trump tells a lie so outlandish everybody knows its false and then requires his subordinates to repeat it. The ones who do are loyal and the ones who don't he questions. It also means once they start publically professing his bullshit(and that's really what this is, bullshit more than lies) the liars' success is now tied to Trump's success.

This is Goebbel's "Big Lie".

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles ... f-is-lying
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:54 pm UTC

ucim wrote:Trump lies so obviously and outlandishly that the only purpose I can see for them is to undermine the very idea of truth. It sends the message "truth doesn't matter, I'm doing it anyway and you can't stop me", and this message is being lapped up by the American people.

This is what I though, but ...

Dark567 wrote:Lying also serves as a loyalty test and function. Trump tells a lie so outlandish everybody knows its false and then requires his subordinates to repeat it. The ones who do are loyal and the ones who don't he questions. It also means once they start publically professing his bullshit(and that's really what this is, bullshit more than lies) the liars' success is now tied to Trump's success.

That's ... it's rather plausible.

In that context, is Kathleen Hartnett White saying something like the following? We all know that that isn't what the Anthropogenic Climate Change theory is about. We know that "carbon" in this context is short for "carbon dioxide [and other greenhouse gases]". But by pretending to believe it's about carbon and/or CO2 as a local toxic pollutant, I'm thoroughly burning my bridges with the Climate Change lobby. I'm saying that I'm in the Climate Change Denial business for the long term; I'm with you 'til death us do part. If I'd said "I just don't believe that there's enough evidence" or "scientists are divided on the issue", that would leave the door open to invoking the Keynesian defence that "when the facts change, I change my mind". But this way, I can't ever do that: I would have to "admit" to having "misunderstood" the argument, and thereby look stupid and ridiculous. It's a kind of "skin in the game" thing.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:38 pm UTC

Dark567 wrote:Lying also serves as a loyalty test and function...
Ayup! Between that and "truth doesn't matter", I think that pretty much nails it.

Now... what to do about it?

Jose

KittenKaboodle

Postby KittenKaboodle » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:49 am UTC

ucim wrote:Most politicians lie because they value the truth. Trump's lies are different, and not just because of their quantity. Trump lies so obviously and outlandishly that the only purpose I can see for them is to undermine the very idea of truth.

Ha, ha, some wag once said (on these forums I think) that Orwell's 1984 "was a cautionary tale, NOT a 'How to' manual"
Well, perhaps cautioning that "resistance is futile".

From Wikipedia:
Orwell's protagonist, Winston Smith, uses the phrase to wonder if the State might declare "two plus two equals five" as a fact; he ponders whether, if everybody believes it, does that make it true? The Inner Party interrogator of thought-criminals, O'Brien, says of the mathematically false statement that control over physical reality is unimportant; so long as one controls one's own perceptions to what the Party wills, then any corporeal act is possible, in accordance with the principles of doublethink ("Sometimes they are five. Sometimes they are three. Sometimes they are all of them at once").

To be charitable, one might suppose Orwell meant people should resist before resistance became futile. But it may already be too late, "except, maybe the second amendment people, I don't know"
Of course I mean that the same way Trump "meant" it, Vote the bums out. Totalitarian governments do not tend to be big fans of an armed populace, they might tell you what you want to hear now (see above) but that doesn't mean that is what they'll do when they can.
"that 'Constitution' you think you remember, it never existed"
Trump might be starting with the First amendment, but the Second is next in numerical order (though the fifth and some others will probably be attacked first so that they can take your guns)
Even if there are politicians who want to emphasize "well regulated" over "shall not be infringed." they at least have some respect for the Constitution, which is probably much better than someone who has no respect for anything. Also note the "Militia" and "People" (plural) just because the sates militias can have guns doesn't mean an individual should have a gun anymore than a woman should have control over her own body. (in case I'm being too obtuse, think about that the other way around, if everyone's personal liberty is important, then you can have a personal gun as long as you don't deprive anyone else of their liberty by shooting them.)
And for the Old Testament type Trump voters who claim to be Christian, WWJD (I'm pretty darn sure He wouldn't vote for trump). also for the fans of Leviticus 20:13, don't forget Leviticus 20:10, just for laughs one might also take a look at 20:14, though to be fair, Trump (allegedly) said "if she wasn't my daughter"

Can one use Unicode here? #M☭GA

jewish_scientist

Postby jewish_scientist » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:48 pm UTC

KittenKaboodle wrote:And for the Old Testament type Trump voters who claim to be Christian, WWJD (I'm pretty darn sure He wouldn't vote for trump).

Christians believe in the 'Old Testament' and the 'New Testament', while Jews believe in the 'Old Testament'. With this in mind, look at PEW's analysis of the election results in terms of religious affiliation: "Like Hispanic Catholics, religious 'nones' and Jews were strong Clinton supporters. Indeed, nearly seven-in-ten religious 'nones' voted for Clinton, as did 71% of Jews." In addition, Jews were the largest supporters of the Democratic candidates in every election since 2000, except in 2012.

also [sic] for the fans of Leviticus 20:13, don't forget Leviticus 20:10

O.k. I went and reread the verses, including the commentary. What is your point?

...just for laughs one might also take a look at 20:14, though to be fair, Trump (allegedly) said "if she wasn't my daughter".

People alleged that he said that, because there is indisputable evidence that he did. Could you please explain why you added such a superfluous word? The only reason I could think of what that you wanted to imply that something true was in fact false without making a refutable statement that would result in you losing credibility.
Last edited by jewish_scientist on Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:17 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

K-R

Postby K-R » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:37 pm UTC

KittenKaboodle wrote:Old Testament...WWJD
No. Just no.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:30 pm UTC

(Trump's just heard about the California wildfires...Or is desperately trying to find things to Twitter that can distract from an otherwise personally awful news-day... One or the other. I wouldn't want to say which.)

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:51 pm UTC

Spoiler:

Return to “News & Articles”