Anti-Semitism in Boston Suburbs Mishandled

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

jewish_scientist
Posts: 660
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:15 pm UTC

Anti-Semitism in Boston Suburbs Mishandled

Postby jewish_scientist » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:59 pm UTC

Boston Globe wrote:The student made the swastika out of tape on a piece of paper and propped it against a recycling bin in a Stoughton High School classroom just before Thanksgiving...

The two teachers who spoke about the incident with students received letters of reprimand in their files, and the teacher who rescinded her letter of recommendation for the student who had made the swastika was suspended for 20 days without pay...

“I grabbed my son and said, ‘Honey, what’s going on?’ He said they took it down, it’s [an image of a swastika was prominently displayed in a group chat involving several students] just a joke. And I said, ‘This is not OK. It’s not a joke,’ ” she said.

My sister actually goes to this school, so I can give you all the information the article does not contain. For the most part though, it covers all the important stuff. I just wish that they focused more on how the students do not view this as a big deal at all.

elasto
Posts: 3107
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 1:53 am UTC

Re: Anti-Semetism is Boston Suburbs Mishandled

Postby elasto » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:37 pm UTC

Can you explain some more about why the teachers got reprimanded and suspended without pay? (Something that doesn't seem to happen even when police officers kill someone in suspicious circumstances...)

jewish_scientist
Posts: 660
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:15 pm UTC

Re: Anti-Semetism is Boston Suburbs Mishandled

Postby jewish_scientist » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:20 pm UTC

Oh, that is easy to explain; our school's administration is stupid to the point of incompetence. Once, they gave me a legally binding contract, that was written specifically for me because of relatively rare medical condition, that had someone else's name on it. There is also the time that they dealt with graffiti in the restrooms by locking all but 2 of them for almost the entire school year. One of my favorite examples of their idiocy is when during Passover, a Jewish holiday where the eating of bread is forbidden and the eating of matza is encouraged, they offered the Jewish students who wanted to follow their religion's dietary laws ham and cheese on matza sandwiches (the eating of pork and the mixing of dairy and meat foods are both forbidden in Judaism).

I feel like these 3 examples are good enough to demonstrate their thoughtlessness, but I could easily write a whole paper detailing everything they have done wrong. What is particularly sad about all of this is that the administration left me really hating the school, even though my teachers were almost universally great.

Chen
Posts: 5267
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: Anti-Semetism is Boston Suburbs Mishandled

Postby Chen » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:34 pm UTC

That clarifies absolutely nothing in the article or the question elasto asked. Well I mean it does in a very broad sense but not in one that actually gives any new information about the circumstances at hand.

Mutex
Posts: 1043
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:32 pm UTC

Re: Anti-Semetism is Boston Suburbs Mishandled

Postby Mutex » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:49 pm UTC

jewish_scientist wrote:...and the mixing of dairy and meat foods are both forbidden in Judaism).


I didn't know that, so most pizzas are banned in Judaism? Apart from ones without meat or, as alarming as the idea is, without cheese.

EDIT: Also cheese-burgers and, well, most of my favourite food. I know this isn't the "discuss Judaism here" thread but found that interesting.

User avatar
eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong
Posts: 1698
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:36 pm UTC
Location: disoriented

Re: Anti-Semetism is Boston Suburbs Mishandled

Postby eran_rathan » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:18 pm UTC

Mutex wrote:
jewish_scientist wrote:...and the mixing of dairy and meat foods are both forbidden in Judaism).


I didn't know that, so most pizzas are banned in Judaism? Apart from ones without meat or, as alarming as the idea is, without cheese.

EDIT: Also cheese-burgers and, well, most of my favourite food. I know this isn't the "discuss Judaism here" thread but found that interesting.


Cheeseburgers, bacon wrapped shrimp, most chowders, bacon mac & cheese, etc. all verboten in Judaism (and Islam, incidentally).
"Trying to build a proper foundation for knowledge is blippery."
"Squirrels are crazy enough to be test pilots."
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

User avatar
Lazar
Landed Gentry
Posts: 2151
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:49 pm UTC
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Anti-Semetism is Boston Suburbs Mishandled

Postby Lazar » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:34 pm UTC

Islam doesn't have the prohibition on mixing meat and dairy.
Exit the vampires' castle.

User avatar
eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong
Posts: 1698
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:36 pm UTC
Location: disoriented

Re: Anti-Semetism is Boston Suburbs Mishandled

Postby eran_rathan » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:37 pm UTC

Lazar wrote:Islam doesn't have the prohibition on mixing meat and dairy.


I did not know that, I thought halal had basically the same strictures as kosher. Interesting.
"Trying to build a proper foundation for knowledge is blippery."
"Squirrels are crazy enough to be test pilots."
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

Mutex
Posts: 1043
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:32 pm UTC

Re: Anti-Semetism is Boston Suburbs Mishandled

Postby Mutex » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:42 pm UTC

Yeah that didn't sound right, lots of pizza restaurants here (London) are halal. You often only realise when you try adding ham to the order.

speising
Posts: 2068
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:54 pm UTC
Location: wien

Re: Anti-Semetism is Boston Suburbs Mishandled

Postby speising » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:40 pm UTC

Deuteronomy 14:21 wrote:You shall not boil a young goat in its mother’s milk.


How you could construct a prohibition of cheeseburger or storing milk and meat in the same fridge from that beats me, but thats the source.

User avatar
freezeblade
Posts: 1082
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:11 pm UTC
Location: Oakland

Re: Anti-Semetism is Boston Suburbs Mishandled

Postby freezeblade » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:29 pm UTC

spoilered for this off-topic kosher question:
Spoiler:
Can one mix, for instance, goat cheese on a beef burger? because I would translate this as an thing between meat and dairy from the same species.

Edit: and what about poultry, which doesn't produce milk? can you have a chicken burger with cheese?
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

User avatar
Lazar
Landed Gentry
Posts: 2151
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:49 pm UTC
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Anti-Semetism is Boston Suburbs Mishandled

Postby Lazar » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:18 pm UTC

Spoiler:
In Jewish practice all foods are divided into "meaty", "milky" and "parve" (neutral), and you can't mix anything from the first category with anything from the second – so no goat cheese on beef. AFAIK most Jewish groups class poultry with the meats but consider fish to be parve – so you can have lox and cream cheese on a bagel, for example.

There have been debates over the level at which cross-contamination becomes negligible, the amount of time you need to wait between consuming meat and dairy, and whether the mere appearance of violation should be avoided – for example, eating turkey bacon or a non-dairy cheeseburger.
Exit the vampires' castle.

User avatar
mosc
Doesn't care what you think.
Posts: 5370
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 3:03 pm UTC

Re: Anti-Semetism is Boston Suburbs Mishandled

Postby mosc » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:31 pm UTC

It should probably be pointed out that the majority of Jews do not hold to any traditional interpretation of "Kosher". Even among people who keep the rules, the differences in observance are massive. Synagogues often try to enforce more standardized and strict rules to ensure that the vast majority of variations held by the congregation can be respected. What is Kosher or not is an interesting discussion but it's also a bit of a No True Scotsman argument. There are probably at least a million people in the US who would call themselves Jews who would eat ham. At least another million who would never eat ham but would eat a cheeseburger. Probably another million who would eat a veggie burger with cheese without caring if the plate it was put on was just hand washed after a rack of pork ribs was cleared off it. And so on.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

elasto
Posts: 3107
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 1:53 am UTC

Re: Anti-Semetism is Boston Suburbs Mishandled

Postby elasto » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:23 pm UTC

Chen wrote:That clarifies absolutely nothing in the article or the question elasto asked. Well I mean it does in a very broad sense but not in one that actually gives any new information about the circumstances at hand.

Yeah. I was looking for specifics really.

My comparison with police killings wasn't entirely flippant: Suspension on full pay implies a presumption of innocence whilest trying to establish the facts of the matter. Suspension without pay is an entirely different beast and implies an investigation has concluded wrongdoing.

I wondered if this school explained their reasoning in concluding the teacher did wrong, and if so what they said.

Losing three weeks pay is huge - it could theoretically leave them unable to pay that month's mortgage/rent etc. It's a serious sanction!

User avatar
Diadem
Posts: 5649
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:03 am UTC
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Anti-Semetism is Boston Suburbs Mishandled

Postby Diadem » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:03 pm UTC

I would also assume that schools aren't just allowed to suspend teachers without pay, without some good solid reasons behind it. Or is this from one of those states were the labor laws consist of just the words 'fuck you' repeated over and over?
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

jewish_scientist
Posts: 660
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:15 pm UTC

Re: Anti-Semetism is Boston Suburbs Mishandled

Postby jewish_scientist » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:50 pm UTC

Chen wrote:That clarifies absolutely nothing in the article or the question elasto asked. Well I mean it does in a very broad sense but not in one that actually gives any new information about the circumstances at hand.

Yeah, your right. Looking back, I think that I was just venting a lot of bottled up stuff. I should have said that stupid is the administration's modus operandi and left it at that.

Diadem wrote:I would also assume that schools aren't just allowed to suspend teachers without pay, without some good solid reasons behind it. Or is this from one of those states were the labor laws consist of just the words 'fuck you' repeated over and over?

No, this is in Massachusetts. It could not be more liberal if it... I cannot even think of an exaggeration that does not seem like something Massachusetts would do. The teachers' union is basically about to explode from anger and there are no advocate saying that the administration reaction to any of this was appropriate.


Kosher Info
Spoiler:
speising wrote:
Deuteronomy 14:21 wrote:You shall not boil a young goat in its mother’s milk.


How you could construct a prohibition of cheeseburger or storing milk and meat in the same fridge from that beats me, but thats the source.

As long as they are in separate containers, there is no problem with storing meat and milk in the same fridge. As for how that passage creates the kosher laws, I am no where near smart enough to understand it, let alone explain it. Lets just say that to understand it completely, it would take at least a month of studying at a yeshiva, which is a place where the only thing that people do is study and practice following the Torah's laws; translations are not allowed and the texts are in combination of Biblical Hebrew, Aramaic with Hebrew letters, and Yiddish.

mosc wrote:It should probably be pointed out that the majority of Jews do not hold to any traditional interpretation of "Kosher".

This is objectively false. There are 3 main 'branches' of Judaism; Orthodox, Conservative, and Reform. Orthodox says that the Torah is eternal and all of the laws are applicable today, just as they were in ancient times. Reform says that the laws do not apply anymore because modern society is so different than ancient society. I do not know that much about Conservative's philosophy; in practice they follow more of the Torah's laws than Reform and less than Orthodox. All of them agree to what the law is; it is their relevancy that is the debate.

Even among people who keep the rules, the differences in observance are massive.... There are probably at least a million people in the US who would call themselves Jews who would eat ham. At least another million who would never eat ham but would eat a cheeseburger. Probably another million who would eat a veggie burger with cheese without caring if the plate it was put on was just hand washed after a rack of pork ribs was cleared off it. And so on

This is like saying that people who speed believe that speeding is not against the law.

Synagogues often try to enforce more standardized and strict rules to ensure that the vast majority of variations held by the congregation can be respected.

Citation Needed

What is Kosher or not is an interesting discussion but it's also a bit of a No True Scotsman argument.

Can you please explain by what you mean about this?

Goahead52
Posts: 431
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:28 am UTC

Re: Anti-Semetism is Boston Suburbs Mishandled

Postby Goahead52 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:25 pm UTC

I wish to add something that very few people know.
Any meat claimed to be kosher is considered to be halal for muslims.
A muslim could be buy kosher meat and eat it. He is allowed to it.
But a religious jew is allowed to eat only kosher meat not halal meat.
Do you know it?

Goahead52
Posts: 431
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:28 am UTC

Re: Anti-Semetism is Boston Suburbs Mishandled

Postby Goahead52 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:17 pm UTC

Few people know that many Muslims go to rabbis to practice a circumcision on their kids (in North Africa in particular).
So in fact many interactions between Judaism and Islam are widely ignored even by large number of Muslims and Jews.

Goahead52
Posts: 431
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:28 am UTC

Re: Anti-Semetism is Boston Suburbs Mishandled

Postby Goahead52 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:49 pm UTC

Here you can read the complexity of the relations between the Judaism and Islam :

https://books.google.ca/books?id=vt0MuH ... ms&f=false

Saints (Jews or Muslims) are worshipped by both Jews ans Muslims.

User avatar
CorruptUser
Posts: 8748
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Re: Anti-Semetism is Boston Suburbs Mishandled

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:18 am UTC

Uhh... Judaism doesn't have any saints. Rabbis that are venerated, yes, but no saints.

Goahead52
Posts: 431
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:28 am UTC

Re: Anti-Semetism is Boston Suburbs Mishandled

Postby Goahead52 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:39 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Uhh... Judaism doesn't have any saints. Rabbis that are venerated, yes, but no saints.

Did you read the article?
In fact rabbis are rather feared than venerated even by atheist jews.
Google will not give any right answer (I understand now where did you got your wrong idea).
I prefer to stop talking about religion.

User avatar
eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong
Posts: 1698
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:36 pm UTC
Location: disoriented

Re: Anti-Semetism is Boston Suburbs Mishandled

Postby eran_rathan » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:08 pm UTC

Goahead52 wrote:
CorruptUser wrote:Uhh... Judaism doesn't have any saints. Rabbis that are venerated, yes, but no saints.

Did you read the article?
In fact rabbis are rather feared than venerated even by atheist jews.
Google will not give any right answer (I understand now where did you got your wrong idea).
I prefer to stop talking about religion.

Because you're wrong and your article was garbage?
"Trying to build a proper foundation for knowledge is blippery."
"Squirrels are crazy enough to be test pilots."
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

Goahead52
Posts: 431
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:28 am UTC

Re: Anti-Semetism is Boston Suburbs Mishandled

Postby Goahead52 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:18 pm UTC

eran_rathan wrote:
Goahead52 wrote:
CorruptUser wrote:Uhh... Judaism doesn't have any saints. Rabbis that are venerated, yes, but no saints.

Did you read the article?
In fact rabbis are rather feared than venerated even by atheist jews.
Google will not give any right answer (I understand now where did you got your wrong idea).
I prefer to stop talking about religion.

Because you're wrong and your article was garbage?


I lived in Morocco during 30 years and I know what I`m talking about.
There are Saint Jews and Saint Muslims venerated by both (Jews and Muslims).
That is a FACT.
End.

User avatar
Zohar
COMMANDER PORN
Posts: 7505
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:45 pm UTC
Location: Denver

Re: Anti-Semetism is Boston Suburbs Mishandled

Postby Zohar » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:57 pm UTC

Are you a Jew, Goahead? I happen to be one of those Atheist Jews you mention. I do not fear any rabbi nor hold them as saints or particularly venerated people. Pretty much every Jew I know also feels similarly. Religious Jews would appreciate rabbi's writing for their wisdom, but they won't be seen as saints. Very few Jewish streams actually belief in sainthood, it's really not a widespread term at all.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

jewish_scientist
Posts: 660
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:15 pm UTC

Re: Anti-Semetism is Boston Suburbs Mishandled

Postby jewish_scientist » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:57 pm UTC

Goahead52 wrote:I wish to add something that very few people know.
Any meat claimed to be kosher is considered to be halal for muslims.
A muslim could be buy kosher meat and eat it. He is allowed to it...

Few people know that many Muslims go to rabbis to practice a circumcision on their kids (in North Africa in particular).

I did not know any of these things. They are really interesting. Just a quick clarification; does 'their' refer to Jewish children or Muslim children?

Goahead52 wrote:Saints (Jews or Muslims) are worshipped by both Jews ans Muslims.

I think the idea is more like how everyone, regardless of religion, admits the Mother Teresa did was a good person.

CorruptUser wrote:Uhh... Judaism doesn't have any saints. Rabbis that are venerated, yes, but no saints.

Oxford Dictionary Definition of 'saint' wrote:A very virtuous, kind, or patient person.

Under this definition, there are Jewish saints; the word 'saint' is just not used to describe them.

Goahead52 wrote:I prefer to stop talking about religion.

I second this motion, or at least that we talk about it in a new thread.

eran_rathan wrote:Because you're wrong and your article was garbage?

Isaac son of Abraham is the father of the Jewish people and Ismael son of Abraham is the father of the Arab people. This is one tiny bit of history that is accepted as true by both Jews and Muslims and demonstrates the complex relationship between the two groups. I did not read the whole article because Google would not load it all, but it would be premature to dismiss anything on this topic before some rigorous analysis is preformed.

Goahead52
Posts: 431
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:28 am UTC

Re: Anti-Semetism is Boston Suburbs Mishandled

Postby Goahead52 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:25 pm UTC

Keep in mind that the "concept" of Saint is not the same depending on religions.
I`m talking about facts not reading or something like that.
In North Africa and in the Arab World in general there are many interactions between Judaism and Islam that few people know. More exactly on both religions there are extremists trying to undermine those aspects.
to jewish scientist : Some muslims parents go to the rabbis when it comes to the circumcision of their muslims boys.
A true atheist jew is not jew nor religious. So he will not venerate rabbis nor any saint (even Mother Thjeresa or Ghandi)
I was talking about the fake atheist jew who define themselves as jew (culturally jew). I know many who are my "friends" and who fear the rabbis (It is a FACT).
Anyway the religious facts are not easy to debate between people who have religious practices.
I`m an atheist. I think that the religions are pushing the humanity toward its extinction.
We are all human beings and we need to have the same rights no matter how we were raised or what we are (race, gender, and so on).

Final end to this discussion.
Good luck to everybody even to the ignorant.

User avatar
Zohar
COMMANDER PORN
Posts: 7505
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:45 pm UTC
Location: Denver

Re: Anti-Semetism is Boston Suburbs Mishandled

Postby Zohar » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:35 pm UTC

Phew, OK.

First, screw you for calling me a fake Jew. Also in general for dismissing actual Jews' words on account of your limited experience.

Second, the fact there's interaction between people of different religions doesn't suddenly mean they all share the same faith or practices. If you're going to use the word "Saint" but then say it has different definitions and different words in each religion, then the word becomes functionally useless.

Third, I'm sorry for your friends who have to actually live in fear from their rabbis. That is not a common opinion among non-religious (/Atheist/"Fake") Jews or religious Jews. For non-religious Jews, rabbis are often, to be frank, not really on our mind or relevant. For religious Jews, most rabbis are regarded as community figures, as teachers and friends.

Fourth, you don't get to dictate when discussions start or end. The mods can decide to lock a thread, and you can choose not to participate in it anymore, but you don't get to say "We're not talking about this now".
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

User avatar
Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.
Posts: 7302
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:43 pm UTC
Location: Nederland

Re: Anti-Semetism is Boston Suburbs Mishandled

Postby Zamfir » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:47 pm UTC


And as a mod I say, we are going to end this discussion.

Goahead52, if you want to keep posting here, you'll have to bring a better attitude.

Goahead52
Posts: 431
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:28 am UTC

Re: Anti-Semetism is Boston Suburbs Mishandled

Postby Goahead52 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:25 pm UTC

eran_rathan wrote:
Goahead52 wrote:
CorruptUser wrote:Uhh... Judaism doesn't have any saints. Rabbis that are venerated, yes, but no saints.

Did you read the article?
In fact rabbis are rather feared than venerated even by atheist jews.
Google will not give any right answer (I understand now where did you got your wrong idea).
I prefer to stop talking about religion.

Because you're wrong and your article was garbage?

To the moderator,

Is this a better attitude?

How can this guy claim :
- First that I`m wrong without no other comment
- Second that the article is a garbage without any argument

Let me know.

Goahead52
Posts: 431
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:28 am UTC

Re: Anti-Semetism is Boston Suburbs Mishandled

Postby Goahead52 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:31 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:
And as a mod I say, we are going to end this discussion.

Goahead52, if you want to keep posting here, you'll have to bring a better attitude.


Who has a bad attitude me or the other ignorant guy ?

Lock the discussion if you want but you need to be fair otherwise you have to do another job.

Goahead52
Posts: 431
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:28 am UTC

Re: Anti-Semetism is Boston Suburbs Mishandled

Postby Goahead52 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:32 pm UTC

There fake jew atheists as they are fake muslim atheist etc...
Is is a FACT!

Why denying it?

Mutex
Posts: 1043
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:32 pm UTC

Re: Anti-Semetism is Boston Suburbs Mishandled

Postby Mutex » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:35 pm UTC

Way to bring a better attitude.

User avatar
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance
Posts: 30448
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:04 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Anti-Semetism is Boston Suburbs Mishandled

Postby Belial » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:37 pm UTC

Bye

Return to your business, folks
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.


They/them

User avatar
Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt
Posts: 1200
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:26 pm UTC
Location: The wrong side of the mirror
Contact:

Re: Anti-Semitism in Boston Suburbs Mishandled

Postby Sableagle » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:58 pm UTC

"Oh, Christ, religious discussi... wait. Why'd I say that? I'm not even a Christian."

Wall of text behind spoiler:
Spoiler:
Swastika at school shows tensions in new Trump era
I'm ... unsure about the headline. It's not saying the tensions are new but it's sort of implying it. I suspect the tensions were always there and the arseholes have been emboldened by the Trump campaign and by its success. Maybe they're getting new converts at an accelerated rate now, but nazism never died. Chris Rock said, years ago: "That's when I started list'nin', 'cause I know N*****s an' Jews is next."

I can't agree with the author of a recent column over here who said it's always the Jews who suffer most from overt racism in Europe ...

ImageImage

... but anyone who thinks the last living Nazi shot himself 72 years ago and that was the end of it is delusional or the victim of a serious effort to deceive.
According to the CST's report:

There were 1,006 incidents of abusive behaviour, including verbal abuse, hate mail and anti-Semitic graffiti
Damage and desecration to Jewish property increased by a quarter - to 81 recorded incidents
There were 107 violent anti-Semitic assaults reported - the highest number since 2010
287 anti-Semitic incidents involved social media

Mark Gardner, from the CST, said the increase could be partly explained by a greater willingness to report incidents to the police.
In 2014 Anti-Semitic Incidents Rose 21 Percent Across The U.S. In A “Particularly Violent Year for Jews”

The Anti-Defamation League’s (ADL) Audit of Anti-Semitic Incidents, issued today, counted a total of 912 anti-Semitic incidents across the U.S. during the 2014 calendar year. This represents a 21 percent increase from the 751 incidents reported during the same period in 2013, and is the first time in nearly a decade of declines where the overall number of incidents has substantially risen.

Despite the increase in incidents, the total number of anti-Semitic acts still represents one of the lowest totals of anti-Semitic acts reported by ADL since it started keeping records in 1979.


So, back to the article with the caveat that I'm not sure Donald Trump's face really belongs on it.

Three teachers, frustrated by a lack of clear guidelines for dealing with such a sensitive issue, responded in sharply different ways. One talked about the swastika in class. Another spoke to a student about it. And a third withdrew a college recommendation for the student who created the swastika.

In Stoughton, several high school teachers urged administrators to speak out after the swastika incident in late November, according to the Stoughton Teachers Association. A girl, who is Jewish and who witnessed the incident, had asked the boy to remove the swastika. He did, but made an offensive remark.

The teachers asked administrators to send a letter home to parents explaining what happened, similar to the action taken in nearby Milton after several swastikas were discovered in the bathrooms of a middle school in December.

“By not discussing this with the entire community, parents were denied an opportunity to discuss this at the dinner table with their kids,” said John Gunning, Stoughton Teachers Association president.

Frustrated by the inaction, the teachers took matters into their own hands.

The two teachers who spoke about the incident with students received letters of reprimand in their files, and the teacher who rescinded her letter of recommendation for the student who had made the swastika was suspended for 20 days without pay. She began serving that suspension Thursday, according to the union.

On Friday, Stoughton’s superintendent, Marguerite Rizzi, who told the school committee Tuesday that she was unaware of more than one incident involving a swastika in her school, sent a two-page e-mail to parents describing two incidents.

In the second instance, which also occurred in late November, an image of a swastika was prominently displayed in a group chat involving several students on their phones.

The statement said that students involved in both incidents were disciplined but makes no mention of actions taken against teachers.

Rizzi chastised, but did not name, people whom she said were inaccurately portraying the incidents, and said that created a lost opportunity “to teach our children . . . the importance of forgiveness.”


Image

Kveller:

The Stoughton High School teacher, who is also an Army veteran, is one of three teachers at the eastern Massachusetts school disciplined for discussing the swastika a student made from tape put on display in a hallway. Two of the teachers received disciplinary letters, while the third was suspended for 20 days. The Superintendent Marguerite Rizzi wrote in a letter to staff that was later obtained by The Enterprise newspaper in Brockton:

The student believed that he was being targeted, creating a hostile environment for him by members of the faculty because of his actions, despite having already been disciplined by the administration.


The student caught making the swastika out of tape was found by another student as they decorated the halls. Even more chilling, the student responded by making a comment about Adolf Hitler.

Somehow, the police said swastikas didn’t constitute hate crimes, so it was up to the school to find an appropriate punishment for the student. As a result, the teachers asked administrators to send a letter home to parents explaining the situation, but sadly, that didn’t happen. When two teachers brought up the incident in class to explain anti-Semitism, they were sanctioned with disciplinary letters.


There's a glaring hole in the reports: if he'd "already been disciplined by the administration," what did the administration do? Is that covered by some confidentiality clause? Does "the administration" get to talk to the Hitler Youth kid behind closed doors, then tell the world that the matter's been dealt with and they're not allowed to even discuss it any more? That seems ... fucked up, really.

So let's check with the school, eh?

Principal News
SEPAC Meeting Notice »
School Safety Presentation »

Title: Bullying and School Safety WorkshopAudience: Parents and Community Members Presented By: David Guglia and ...
Did they put that up in a hurry and forget the formatting?
School Safety Presentation

Posted on: March 31, 2016 - 10:46am

Title: Bullying and School Safety Workshop

Audience: Parents and Community Members

Presented By: David Guglia and Sheanna Isabel (Stoughton Police Dept)

Date: April 27, 2015

Time: 7:00 p.m.

Location: O'Donnell Middle School

Description: This workshop will review bullying and cyber-bullying. It will highlight who is at risk, prevention, the response to bullying, and how to get help. School safety measures specific to the Stoughton Public Schools will also be discussed.
No. No, they didn't. That was posted almost a year ago. Unless they hacked their own webpage to make it look as if it was posted almost a year ago, they'd already covered the response to bullying and they made an arse of responding to it.

Yeah, that's no surprise. Everybody's got a "zero tolerance to bullying" policy and bullying happens everywhere and some teachers actively encourage it but never on official documents. Yeah.

No notice about the incident on the school's front page. They do have a "policies" link but it goes to a directory of documents.

When the Superintendent or a Principal determines that sufficient cause exists that a professional employee be suspended or dismissed from service in the school system, he or she will:

1. Be certain that each such case is supported by defensible records.

2. Determine if the individual is to be suspended immediately with the understanding that the suspension will be subject to restoration of salary and position if an appeal is decided in favor of the individual.

3. Follow the procedures for dismissal or suspension that are contained in applicable laws as well as those included in the current agreement with the teachers' bargaining unit.

4. Provide the individual involved with a written statement that will:

a. Indicate whether the action the Superintendent is taking is dismissal or suspension.

b. State the reason for the suspension or dismissal.

c. Guarantee that all procedures will be in accordance with due process of law.

d. Inform employees who have a right to request a hearing under appropriate laws that they may be represented at such a hearing by counsel of their choice.
Harassment prohibited by the District includes, but is not limited to, harassment on the basis of race, sex, gender identity, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, religion, marital status or disability. Students whose behavior is found to be in violation of this policy will be subject to disciplinary action up to and including suspension or expulsion.

Harassment means conduct of a verbal or physical nature that is designed to embarrass, distress, agitate, disturb or trouble students when:

· Submission to such conduct is made either explicitly or implicitly a term or condition of a student’s education or of a student’s participation in school programs or activities;

· Submission to or rejection of such conduct by a student is used as the basis for decisions affecting the student, or;

· Such conduct has the purpose or effect of unreasonably interfering with a student’s performance or creating an intimidating or hostile learning environment.

Harassment as described above may include, but is not limited to:

· Verbal, physical or written (including texting, blogging, or other technological methods) harassment or abuse;

· Repeated remarks of a demeaning nature;

· Implied or explicit threats concerning one’s grades, achievements, or other school matter.

· Demeaning jokes, stories, or activities directed at the student.

The District will promptly and reasonably investigate allegations of harassment. The Principal of each building will be responsible for handling all complaints by students alleging harassment.

Retaliation against a student, because a student has filed a harassment complaint or assisted or participated in a harassment investigation or proceeding, is also prohibited. A student who is found to have retaliated against another in violation of this policy will be subject to disciplinary action up to and including suspension and expulsion.
No student shall commit any act that furthers gangs or gang-related activities. A gang is any ongoing organization, association, or group of three or more persons, whether formal or informal, having as one of its primary activities the commission of criminal acts, or the purposeful violation of any policy, and having a common name or common identifying sign, colors or symbols. Conduct prohibited by this policy includes:

A. Wearing, possessing, using, distributing, displaying, or selling any clothing, jewelry, emblems, badges, symbols, signs, visible tattoos and body markings, or other items, or being in possession of literature that shows affiliation with a gang, or is evidence of membership or affiliation in any gang or that promotes gang affiliation;

B. Communicating either verbally or non-verbally (gestures, handshakes, slogans, drawings, etc.), to convey membership affiliation in any gang or that promotes gang affiliation;

C. Tagging, or otherwise defacing school or personal property with gang or gang-related symbols or slogans;
In 2007, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts released a document entitled Direct from the Field: A Guide to Bullying Prevention to serve as a tool to meet the needs of teachers, students and parents in addressing issues related to bullying. The passage below is part of the introduction of this guide and serves to set the framework for understanding the complexity of the issues.

Equipping administrators and teachers to respond more effectively is part of the answer, but the problem is complex and defies simple solutions. The majority of bullying incidents happen outside of the eyes and ears of school personnel - on buses, on sidewalks, on the way home, at sporting events and in bathrooms and locker rooms. Complicity among young people not to share knowledge of incidents of bullying with adults is common, often due to fear of retaliation. Ironically, while targets are disempowered by this code of silence, bullies gain power and prestige from it.

Multiple national studies show it is critical to create an environment of caring and respect in the classroom and school - an environment where children and adults have zero tolerance for acts of disrespect. A culture of caring and respect is fundamental; and to create such a culture, character education and the teaching of pro-social values like tolerance, altruism, empathy and self-assertiveness are essential.


As leaders and educators in the Stoughton Public Schools, we are committed to providing an educational climate that is conducive to student engagement and learning. Our roles and responsibilities as educators will continue to include: (1) providing curriculum and programming that allow students the opportunity to develop social and behavior skills appropriate to a school environment; and (2) when a student disrupts the educational environment for others, employing a wide range of interventions appropriate to the nature of the conduct and age of the student. There is no place for student - to - student harassment and bullying within the Stoughton Public Schools as these attacks on human dignity are antithetical to the healthy educational, social and emotional growth of our students.

There are a lot of things in there that could be used to show that the school fucked up, aren't there?

Here's their actual BULLYING PREVENTION AND INTERVENTION PLAN:
PRIORITY STATEMENT
The Stoughton Public Schools (SPS) expects that all members of the school community will treat each other in a civil manner and demonstrate a respect for diversity.
Their definition of bullying includes "repeated," so painting a swastika on someone's classroom door, hanging a black doll in the toilets and writing "kill all muslims" on the board just once doesn't count? Huh. If one incident does count they've blown it on pretty much every single paragraph.


http://www.stoughton.k12.wi.us/page.cfm?p=508
--- There are no posts ---


Maybe we'll get more info during the week.
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

User avatar
CorruptUser
Posts: 8748
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Re: Anti-Semitism in Boston Suburbs Mishandled

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:31 pm UTC

Sable, any chance you could summarize the point you are trying to make?

jewish_scientist
Posts: 660
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:15 pm UTC

Re: Anti-Semitism in Boston Suburbs Mishandled

Postby jewish_scientist » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:42 am UTC

I just wanted to do a quick follow up on this issue. The superintendent wrote this letter, which calls for the formation of an Advisory Committee on Diversity Appreciation. This committee would only have the ability to make recommendations, so we cannot really tell if this is a serious effort or a token gesture right now. Fortunately, our town's librarian decided to not wait around and formed a committee of her own. They have already started a program called Dances from Around the World.


Return to “News & Articles”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], The Great Hippo and 23 guests