Newly Declassified JFK Assassination Files Released: 10/26/17

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

freezeblade

Newly Declassified JFK Assassination Files Released: 10/26/17

Postby freezeblade » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:06 pm UTC

I'm surprised there's no thread for this yet!

As of 10/26/17 Thousands of pages of newly declassified files got placed in the national archives, open to the public. Some were held back for further redaction or will never be released.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/26/us/p ... files.html

Here's a link to the actual files: https://www.archives.gov/research/jfk/2017-release

Here is the faq page from the national archives showing what is and is not available, as well as some general information: https://www.archives.gov/research/jfk/faqs.html

I figured here is as good of a place as any to talk about interesting things found in these files. I haven't gotten a chance to dive in all the way to them yet, however some interesting revelations so far:

- Confirmation that Oswald was at the Russian Embassy in Mexico city and met with “a case officer in an operation which is evidently sponsored by the KGB’s 13th Department (responsible for sabotage and assassination).”
- There was warnings given to the police by Government agencies about credible threats to kill Oswald, and that proper security should be provided to him. Proper security was obviously not provided. Hoover even mentioned this in one memo: “There are bound to be some [elements] of our society who will holler their heads off that his civil rights were violated — which they were.”
- Hoover also stressed a need (in internal memos) to “convince the public that Oswald is the real assassin.”
- High Level USSR Communist party actors believed that assassination was part of a well-organized conspiracy on the part of the ‘ultraright’ in the United States to effect a ‘coup.’
- Oswald was on the FBI radar about a month previous to the assassination, though a Cuban channel.

Any discussion on this cache of information?
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb

Re: Newly Declassified JFK Assassination Files Released: 10/26/17

Postby ObsessoMom » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:21 pm UTC

I think Trump made such a big deal about releasing these assassination files because they fit right into his "don't believe the official story--the real truth is what I say it is" message.

Chen

Postby Chen » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:30 pm UTC

ObsessoMom wrote:I think Trump made such a big deal about releasing these assassination files because they fit right into his "don't believe the official story--the real truth is what I say it is" message.

I think it's more attempts at distraction. The date of release for the files was fixed. It was just whether or not whoever was President at the time released them. So he made a big news story to distract from the other problematic stories, because people like transparency. Now granted they didn't release all the files which tends to tarnish that whole transparency thing.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:45 pm UTC

Chen wrote:So he made a big news story to distract from the other problematic stories, because people like transparency. Now granted they didn't release all the files which tends to tarnish that whole transparency thing.

I do wonder what kind of information is deemed too sensitive to release. It likely implicates wrongdoing by the government or actors still present within the government.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:52 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:I do wonder what kind of information is deemed too sensitive to release. It likely implicates wrongdoing by the government or actors still present within the government.

Well, Reagan's dead, so's Shirley Temple. Schwarzenegger isn't Governor any more, Eastwood's not been mayor of Carmel for some time, Sony Bono/Jesse Ventura also on the sidelines... So maybe it's either Sheila Kuehl or this guy? ;)

Chen

Postby Chen » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:29 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:I do wonder what kind of information is deemed too sensitive to release. It likely implicates wrongdoing by the government or actors still present within the government.

Could also be a risk of compromising assets who are either still working or at the least still alive.

dg61

Postby dg61 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:11 pm UTC

Or of compromising methods that are still in use-the information is outdated but how we got it would key someone into that we've got a specific design for bugs, eg.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:12 am UTC

dg61 wrote:Or of compromising methods that are still in use-the information is outdated but how we got it would key someone into that we've got a specific design for bugs, eg.

Indeed - whilst modern bugs are smaller, harder to detect or intercept and have longer battery life, discerning agents prefer that warm, valve-y sound of a 1960s listening device. :wink:
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:35 pm UTC

Return to “News & Articles”