What do you want to know about a comic con?

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

jewish_scientist

What do you want to know about a comic con?

Postby jewish_scientist » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:20 pm UTC

I have the chance to go to Rhode Island's Comic Con and write an article on it for my college's newspaper. The only biggest problem I am facing is that I have no idea what to put in the article. I figured the best way to learn what people want to know about these types of conventions is to ask people interested in these types of conventions. So, what do you guys care about?

LaserGuy

Re: What do you want to know about a comic con?

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:55 pm UTC

jewish_scientist wrote:I have the chance to go to Rhode Island's Comic Con and write an article on it for my college's newspaper. The only biggest problem I am facing is that I have no idea what to put in the article. I figured the best way to learn what people want to know about these types of conventions is to ask people interested in these types of conventions. So, what do you guys care about?

Are you not interested in these types of conventions yourself? It seems strange to me that you would be writing an article about something that you don't really seem to be invested in.

jewish_scientist

Postby jewish_scientist » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:13 pm UTC

I thought that the best way to learn how to write this type of article was to read this type of article. The problem was that I was not interested in what the articles had to say. Like, why would I care if so-and-so was signed autographs or if the art section was poorly organized? I cannot go back in time Citation needed to purchase tickets, so why do I care? I would prefer the articles talking about what so-and-so had to say about recent trends in comic-book art or how vendors predict their sales will be affected by poor planning.

This lead me to question if these convention articles actually appealed to their readers. Then again, I could just be an exception and the readership wants to know these things. I figured that the most direct and easiest way to discover which of these options was the case was to asked readers what they wanted to know.
Last edited by jewish_scientist on Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:23 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

HES

Postby HES » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:22 pm UTC

jewish_scientist wrote:ike, why would I care if so-and-so was signed autographs or if the art section was poorly organized considering that I cannot go back in time to purchase tickets?

Because I might want to purchase tickets for next year's event, but if the organisation is bad or they can't attract the right so-and-so's that will affect my decision.
He/Him/His Image

cphite

Postby cphite » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:26 pm UTC

jewish_scientist wrote:Like, why would I care if so-and-so was signed autographs or if the art section was poorly organized?

The people who go to comic cons are often pretty fanatical about them... they want to meet so-and-so and get autographs, or they want to see an awesome art display. And these events aren't exactly cheap, and often involve travel. People want to know, before they make the plans and spend the money, if the event is going to have what they want to see.

I cannot go back in time to purchase tickets, so why do I care? I would prefer the articles talking about what so-and-so had to say about recent trends in comic-book art or how vendors predict their sales will be affected by poor planning.

But those things are totally not the point when it comes to a comic con... you can find that stuff on Google. What you can't do on Google is dress up like your favorite comic book character, go mingle with a hundred people who are just as fanatical as you are, and meet the writers and actors and directors who are behind the thing you're fanatical about.

It's kinda like... if someone went to Space Camp and instead of getting to check out space vehicles and meet with astronauts, they instead got to sit through a series of technical audits and budget meetings. That might appeal to some people I guess, but chances are it's not going to go over well with the typical person who's gonna sign up for Space Camp.

This lead me to question if these convention articles actually appealed to their readers. Then again, I could just be an exception and the readership wants to know these things. I figured that the most direct and easiest way to discover which of these options was the case was to asked readers what they wanted to know.

Generally speaking, the folks who go to comic con want to geek out for a while with their fellow fans, and meet famous and important people in the industry. The articles should convey that sort of spirit. Articles that talk about trends in comic art probably would interest a lot of fans, actually... sales projections probably less so. That isn't to say you couldn't find an audience for an article on how sales will be affected by planning... but it wouldn't be what most comic fans are seeking.

ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb

Postby ObsessoMom » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:51 pm UTC

Presumably, everyone who is really passionately interested in a comic con or other pop culture festival per se is already there, experiencing it firsthand. So I think I might be better to approach the article as your take on an anthropological phenomenon--of general interest to human beings, for that reason--not as a preaching-to-the-choir critique.

I'm thinking of David Foster Wallace's famous essay on the Maine Lobster Festival, which I found enjoyable and thought-provoking even though, as a vegetarian and homebody, I have zero interest in ever attending the Maine Lobster Festival.

Not that you're going to be allowed that much space to wax philosophical in a student publication. But you get the idea.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:06 pm UTC

There's just one of type of fan-convention that I have regularly attended1, and the attraction (on top of the subject matter) is overwhelmingly the people I know I will meet there. I've even deliberately foregone the star-turn signing queues, that some might quite reasonbly say have been key focal points, though enjoyed joining the ones for certain secondary personalities. I people-watch, to some extent, although that might partially be so that I get more chance of recognising fellow veterans amongst the general masses (not that a random general mass isn't also likely to be ready to talk).

And if (these days) there's a game of Cards Against Humanity being organised in some quiet corner, or in my particular twist of a currently static popular programme event queue, count me in!

So… what I'm saying here is that for me, I'd like to know about the people. Maybe their alternate priorities and prefered participation levels, too. Not just "361 days a year, Bob sells double-glazing/Diane is PA to a hospital manager/Richard turns bespoke wooden table-legs/Sam provides a selection of adult services/Stan is currently studying physiotherapy, but for one long weekend this year they…" sort of thing (nice details, but may now be cliched) but something that can perhaps intrinsically do a bit of your work for you in developing the story.

Still possibly Journlistic Cliche 101, because I'm not trained in the art, but (even if I'd probably be a bad subject) it's got to be worth looking into as an approach. Might find you something interesting if you get the right people and get them to say what they think is interesting, then you're getting something at one or other level of meta-interesting. Is that vaguely doable, within your working remit?

1 I tried, but failed, to attend a Star Trek convention, once, for complex reasons tied to (ironically enough) a sense of social awkwardness overwhelming the useful. I arrived at the venue doors and chickened out.
<…beat…>
I know!

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:37 pm UTC

Why don't you just attend, and see it first hand, and quit trying to understand it vicariously. Either you'll get the point, or you won't. But surely after you go you will have something worth saying about the experience. It doesn't seem that you have experienced anything that geeky.

I remember going to the first showing of the Empire Strikes Back, and seeing people in full costume waiting to see the film. My base personality would have never let me do that. But there was a certain sense of joy in seeing that level of intensity. Have a good time.

jewish_scientist

Postby jewish_scientist » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:56 pm UTC

cphite wrote:People want to know, before they make the plans and spend the money, if the event is going to have what they want to see.

The problem is that these article are written after the event. If they came out before, then I would understand.

What you can't do on Google is dress up like your favorite comic book character, go mingle with a hundred people who are just as fanatical as you are, and meet the writers and actors and directors who are behind the thing you're fanatical about.

Are you saying that you would want to hear about the most impressive cosplays and most popular attractions in this type of article?

morriswalters wrote:It doesn't seem that you have experienced anything that geeky.

I have been to comic book and anime conventions before. What excited me the most was the availability of comic books and manga I could buy. Usually I would burn through all of my money*, then sit down with my back against the wall reading. I could definitely write a piece on how cool it is to read about characters that are walking by and how nice it reals the have my concentration broken by a Pokemon battle. However, I do not know if that is what my audience would like to read about.

* This is actually what I do whenever I buy something from a book store.

Liri
Healthy non-floating pooper reporting for doodie.

Postby Liri » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:16 am UTC

why the h**k is this in N&A
He wondered could you eat the mushrooms, would you die, do you care.

jewish_scientist

Postby jewish_scientist » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:52 am UTC

It is in Rhode Island, the state a little South East of New York.

Liri
Healthy non-floating pooper reporting for doodie.

Postby Liri » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:59 am UTC

He wondered could you eat the mushrooms, would you die, do you care.

HES

Postby HES » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:42 am UTC

jewish_scientist wrote:The problem is that these article are written after the event. If they came out before, then I would understand.

After that event. But many conventions happen multiple times a year, and experiences will be similar. Even the ones that happen once a year, will happen next year. Even the ones that are a one-off will have similarities with other upcoming events in terms of organisers/exhibitors/target audience.
He/Him/His Image

jewish_scientist

Postby jewish_scientist » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:10 pm UTC

Liri, Rhode Island is South East from Albany, which is the capital of New York, and Syracuse, which is located in the center of the state.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:34 pm UTC

The question was not where Rhode Island is, but why is this topic in this forum.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:44 pm UTC

(I chortled, at the misunderstanding.)

Best guess, on my part, is that a question aboout making a news article obviously should be in News & Articles, one might imagine…

((Or, more generally in General. Or in School, or Religious Wars, or… Maybe, later, the result could go in Your Art And Links…?))

cphite

Postby cphite » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:48 pm UTC

jewish_scientist wrote:
cphite wrote:People want to know, before they make the plans and spend the money, if the event is going to have what they want to see.

The problem is that these article are written after the event. If they came out before, then I would understand.

Yeah, but these events are often annual, and they're usually fairly consistent in terms of who is running them.

What you can't do on Google is dress up like your favorite comic book character, go mingle with a hundred people who are just as fanatical as you are, and meet the writers and actors and directors who are behind the thing you're fanatical about.

Are you saying that you would want to hear about the most impressive cosplays and most popular attractions in this type of article?

I personally would be more interested in the thing about trends in comic art; but yeah, most of the folks who frequent these events would enjoy reading about the most impressive costumes, the displays, and so forth. Also, what celebrities were there and what they talked about, etc.

morriswalters wrote:It doesn't seem that you have experienced anything that geeky.

I have been to comic book and anime conventions before. What excited me the most was the availability of comic books and manga I could buy. Usually I would burn through all of my money*, then sit down with my back against the wall reading. I could definitely write a piece on how cool it is to read about characters that are walking by and how nice it reals the have my concentration broken by a Pokemon battle. However, I do not know if that is what my audience would like to read about.

That would actually be a pretty cool article :D

jewish_scientist

Postby jewish_scientist » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:49 pm UTC

Oops. I did not realize what N&A meant, so I had to guess what the post was about given context clues.

I do see the argument that this belongs in the School section. However, I decided that to put this in the News and Articles section, because it is about what the ideal article of a particular topic be. In addition, this question is indirectly related to school by the fact that the paper I am writing for is associated with a school. If this article was being written for an independent blog, there would be no argument that this question belongs in this section.

cphite

Postby cphite » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:51 pm UTC

Liri wrote:why the h**k is this in N&A

Because he's asking about an article?

Most of the discussions in this sub-forum are about articles after they've been written; he's discussing his before it was written. Just a matter of timing.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:01 pm UTC

Rhode Island, the state where the mafia is more popular than either the politicians or the police. Nothing like listening to the story of two dudes, one bat.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:04 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:(I chortled, at the misunderstanding.)
Best guess, on my part, is that a question about making a news article obviously should be in News & Articles, one might imagine…

cphite wrote:
Liri wrote:why the h**k is this in N&A

Because he's asking about an article?

Most of the discussions in this sub-forum are about articles after they've been written; he's discussing his before it was written. Just a matter of timing.

The way I see it, it's not just timing: most discussions in N&A are about the subject of the article, not about the article itself. This is one level more meta than the norm. (Actually it's now two levels more meta, because we're discussing the discussion of the process of writing an article about a thing).
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:50 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:(Actually it's now two levels more meta, because we're discussing the discussion of the process of writing an article about a thing).

I would like to discuss this claim of yours…

;)

Return to “News & Articles”