Al Gore/IPCC win Nobel Peace Prize

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

miles01110

Al Gore/IPCC win Nobel Peace Prize

Postby miles01110 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:43 pm UTC

I'm not sure I'm with the Nobel committee on this one...

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Re: Al Gore/IPCC win Nobel Peace Prize

Postby ZeroSum » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:06 pm UTC

Oh yes, telling people that we should do something about a potential problem that might cause issues with respect to resource management is worthy of the Nobel Peace Prize. Top notch there. Way to stick it to Mother Teresa, Nelson Mandela, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., et. al. and really show them what it means to promote peace.

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:17 pm UTC

I can has link now please?
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Solt

Postby Solt » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:21 pm UTC

ZeroSum wrote:Oh yes, telling people that we should do something about a potential problem that might cause issues with respect to resource management is worthy of the Nobel Peace Prize. Top notch there. Way to stick it to Mother Teresa, Nelson Mandela, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., et. al. and really show them what it means to promote peace.

Thankfully we only need a Mandela or an MLK once in a decade. They've got a nobel peace prize to hand out every year.
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,
produced a more reliable product. But sailors do
not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a
most annoying habit of splitting in two."
-J.W. Morris

Gunfingers

Postby Gunfingers » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:28 pm UTC

The awarding of the peace prize does seem pretty lame. I mean in 2001 the UN won. I mean really, the UN?

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:48 pm UTC

Yeah. We're all rather perplexed down here, I can tell you.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:25 pm UTC

Gunfingers wrote:The awarding of the peace prize does seem pretty lame. I mean in 2001 the UN won. I mean really, the UN?

I thought that was a great pick...
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Amicitia

Postby Amicitia » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:43 pm UTC

But the UN is useless--I mean, it looks nice on a C.V., but I was referring to their efficacy as a group.
"OMIT NEEDLESS WORDS"
William Strunk, Jr.

Astronaut

Postby Astronaut » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:11 pm UTC

I believe the Nobel Committee made the decision of broadening the definition of "Peace" already when they awarded the prize to Wangari Mathaai back in 2004. Her efforts were also mainly in the field of environmentalism.

Though controversial, I think it's a reasonable choice, and I support the selection of the IPCC and Al Gore. If the threat of climatic changes are as serious as most scientists today believe, it is quite likely that political destabilization will follow. Understanding the problem and taking action to prevent it today could very well be more important for peace tomorrow than we might think.

mosc

Postby mosc » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:12 pm UTC

The UN is not useless. It is not going to singlehandedly bring about world peace but it's far from useless.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

TheStranger

Postby TheStranger » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:45 pm UTC

An interesting break from the usual run of tyrants and mass murderers that usually get picked for the Nobel Peace Prize.
"To bow before the pressure of the ignorant is weakness."
Azalin Rex, Wizard-King of Darkon

Astronaut

Postby Astronaut » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:10 pm UTC

TheStranger wrote:An interesting break from the usual run of tyrants and mass murderers that usually get picked for the Nobel Peace Prize.

Taken our exaggeration pills this morning, have we?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobel_Priz ... es#Peace_2 lists 9 peace prize selections as "controversial". Out of these, five or six can be said to be controversial from a political point of view. Given the political nature of such an award, that's not a lot.

Personally, Henry Kissinger is the only laureate I feel is not worthy of a peace prize, Sadat/Begin and Yasser Arafat are highly questionable. Not too bad a record for 93 peace prizes awarded.

Could you elaborate on who these "usual run of tyrants and mass murderers" are?

RealGrouchy
Nobody Misses Me As Much As Meaux.

Postby RealGrouchy » Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:07 am UTC

I thought I had mentioned this somewhere already...

Al Gore winning the Nobel Peace Prize for his work on Global Warming is like when Jon Stewart won the Emmy for News program---it is a clear sign that the people who should be doing the work that is the subject of the prize (in the former example, peace; in the latter, news) are doing a shit job of it.

That is, there's too much fucking war going on to justify giving out a Nobel Peace Prize. So they just tossed it to whoever happened to be walking by.

- RG>
Jack Saladin wrote:etc., lock'd
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:At least he has the decency to REMOVE THE GAP BETWEEN HIS QUOTES....
Sungura wrote:I don't really miss him. At all. He was pretty grouchy.

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:33 am UTC

Man Norwegians always fuck things up. Oh well, they could have done worse. Atleast Al Gore has done other good things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobel_Priz ... es#Peace_2 lists 9 peace prize selections as "controversial". Out of these, five or six can be said to be controversial from a political point of view. Given the political nature of such an award, that's not a lot.

Personally, Henry Kissinger is the only laureate I feel is not worthy of a peace prize, Sadat/Begin and Yasser Arafat are highly questionable. Not too bad a record for 93 peace prizes awarded.
I completely agree with you :)
Kissinger was(/is?) an asshole
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

Infornographer
Dick-in-a-Casserole

Postby Infornographer » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:40 am UTC

ZeroSum wrote:Oh yes, telling people that we should do something about a potential problem that might cause issues with respect to resource management is worthy of the Nobel Peace Prize. Top notch there. Way to stick it to Mother Teresa, Nelson Mandela, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., et. al. and really show them what it means to promote peace.

I like that Al Gore/the IPCC won. The Nobel Committee awards the prize "to the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between the nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses." Seeing that the IPCC represented the largest collaborative effort of international scientists in a long time (ever?), I think it appropriate. Perhaps they could have found a better candidate, but Gore's work definitely fell within the jurisdiction of the peace prize.

I know they call it the "Nobel Peace Prize," but I encourage you not just take it at name value. Several Laureates awarded the prize had nothing to do with nonviolence, (Yunus/Bank 2006, Ebadi 2003, Borlaug 1970). Resource management has actually won the peace prize quite a few times.
(Formerly Gnophilist)

Khonsu

Postby Khonsu » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:06 am UTC

RealGrouchy wrote:I thought I had mentioned this somewhere already...

Al Gore winning the Nobel Peace Prize for his work on Global Warming is like when Jon Stewart won the Emmy for News program---it is a clear sign that the people who should be doing the work that is the subject of the prize (in the former example, peace; in the latter, news) are doing a shit job of it.

That is, there's too much fucking war going on to justify giving out a Nobel Peace Prize. So they just tossed it to whoever happened to be walking by.

- RG>

I agree wholeheartedly. Why not give it to the companies that make eco-housing? Why GORE? I don't dislike Gore (I don't know him), but he's not exactly living off the grid in a biodegradable house with solar panels, is he? Oh right, because people need a big flashy name to go along with the Prize to say "oh...yeah...that issue is kind of important."

I do like Jon Stewart, but I do wish he'd get more serious.

Gadren

Postby Gadren » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:56 am UTC

At least it's a better choice than what Fox News came up with...

Seriously? General Petraus? :?

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:15 am UTC

Khonsu wrote:I do like Jon Stewart, but I do wish he'd get more serious.

Did you see him destroy Crossfire? He's only not serious when he's on a comedy show.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Iv

Postby Iv » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:39 am UTC

Environmental change is listed as a top strategical concern by many military institutions. Even by the pentagon. Right now, Russia and Canada argue about new northern maritime roads. Russia claims a part of the Arctic ocean for oil exploitation now that the ice sea shrinks. The climate change is likely to create a lot of of similar problems that can only spawn wars.

Add to this that the climate change is a global enemy against which many enemy nations will have to ally, and you will have a picture about why ecology and peace are now linked.

I understand that in US the nomination of Al Gore by the Nobel Prize Comitee seems highly political, but you have to understand that for this European institution, Al Gore is not seen as "Bush's challenger", but as someone who tried to raise awareness about a global issue. He may not be accurate, he may have a political agenda, he may not be the person who made all the research, but he is the cause of a big raise in the climate issue awareness.

It is also important to note that the Nobel Prize Comitee doesn't just give someone a prize. It awards a prize for a specific reason. Concerning Al Gore and IPCC it is "for their efforts to build up and disseminate greater knowledge about man-made climate change, and to lay the foundations for the measures that are needed to counteract such change".

And a last note, a bit bitter maybe : outside of the US, nobody cares for Al Gore as a politician.

Amicitia

Postby Amicitia » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:48 am UTC

Inside the U.S., no one cares about Al Gore as a politician.
"OMIT NEEDLESS WORDS"

William Strunk, Jr.

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:26 pm UTC

Amicitia wrote:Inside the U.S., no one cares about Al Gore as a politician.

Erm.
*raises hand*
I'm in the US and I would vote for Al Gore if he ran probably depending on if we're in wartime still. And of course depending on whether another candidate who is better shows up. But I personally wouldn't rule out Al Gore from the outset in my vote.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

mosc

Postby mosc » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:39 pm UTC

Al Gore is the candidate I'd most like to have seen be president in the past 25 years...

Return to “News & Articles”