Stephen Colbert for president?

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

If Stephen Colbert *actually did* run for PotUS, would you vote for him? (be honest now)

Yes, I think he'd make a good president.
23%
Yes, but it wouldn't be because I thought he'd be a good president.
21%
Maybe.
10%
No, he wouldn't make a good president.
25%
No, he's too far right wing for me.
3%
Monkey on the LAMB
18%

Total votes: 115

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Stephen Colbert for president?

Postby 22/7 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:10 pm UTC

This link was brought up in the Grand Presidential Debate thread, but I thought it warranted its own thread.

The poll is whether or not you'd vote for him if he actually did run, but the question being raised is, do you think he'll actually go so far as to campaign?

I personally don't take it seriously, I think it's entirely to keep his ratings up. And no, I wouldn't vote for him, mostly because I don't think he'd be any good at it.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Re: Stephen Colbert for president?

Postby Belial » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:13 pm UTC

I honestly don't know enough about him as a person, except what I can extrapolate based on what he sees it fit and necessary to satirize.

Still, he would beat out a great many people in my esteem.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:40 pm UTC

I would vote for him if I wasn't an unamerican commienazi.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

vicente408

Postby vicente408 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:47 pm UTC

There isn't much chance of him getting very far in the race anyway. He's only running in one state, and too many people will probably be alienated by his antics and sarcastic portrayal of the right-wing. But maybe he'll get the young voters off their asses the actually vote, so who knows.

If he actually wants to make a serious run for president, he's going to have to drop his character at least part of the time so people can be exposed to the real Stephen.

Hrtbrkone

Postby Hrtbrkone » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:55 pm UTC

I can't picture him a world leader. His character's far too unstable and the majority definitely will not take it well.
Compared to say, Bill Clinton, or just about any other president for the matter, he just seems like some kid.

The real Stephen Colbert is actually quite a normal guy... he teaches sunday school and all.

Now Stewart on the other hand...

Gadren

Postby Gadren » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:08 pm UTC

I think it would be awesome, if only because it would show how much of a joke our elections are anyway.

Here's a Facebook group if you want to show support. ;)
http://facebook.com/topic.php?uid=7406420086

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:00 pm UTC

No neither Stewart nor Colbert would make a very good President. Colbert because as he himself has said is not particularily politcally savvy, and most of what he says is not written or thought up by he himself but rather writers (ofcourse he is I would think the main writer but none the less, you don't have your crew of writers in a debate) what he does great is deliver those lines aswell as improvise stuff. See he is good at improvising rediculousness. it's alot harder improvising profoundness and such.

Stewart again does not know alot, most of his interviews with controversial people is him being a good host. A good host is usually a loust president.

That said would I vote for him over I think any of the republicans? Yeah probably, ofcourse I don't have a vote so it's irrelevant.
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:17 pm UTC

this is the most appropriate poll to answer otter/duck EVER!
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:10 pm UTC

I would vote for him if I were otherwise going a lesser-of-two-evils route.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:39 pm UTC

mosc wrote:this is the most appropriate poll to answer otter/duck EVER!

Otters?

No Monkeys. Those are on the LAMB
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:44 pm UTC

God the puns, they burn!

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:37 am UTC

Between him and essentially any Republican candidates and maybe a few of the Democrats, too? Yes.

Oh wait, I can't vote.

EDIT: Legally, that is.

ln|mower|+c

Postby ln|mower|+c » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:50 am UTC

fjafjan wrote:No neither Stewart nor Colbert would make a very good President. Colbert because as he himself has said is not particularily politcally savvy, and most of what he says is not written or thought up by he himself but rather writers (ofcourse he is I would think the main writer but none the less, you don't have your crew of writers in a debate) what he does great is deliver those lines aswell as improvise stuff. See he is good at improvising rediculousness. it's alot harder improvising profoundness and such.

Stewart again does not know alot, most of his interviews with controversial people is him being a good host. A good host is usually a loust president.

That said would I vote for him over I think any of the republicans? Yeah probably, ofcourse I don't have a vote so it's irrelevant.

I disagree. I think the real Stewart and Colbert would both make good presidents (especially Stewart). As far as I can tell from many of the things I have read/seen about Stewart off camera, is that he seems to be a really intelligent person ( well-read and pretty knowledgeable). While he doesn't necessarily have the experience as a senator or congressman, I do think he would be a good president because I hope that if he were to ever get elected into office, he would cut out all (or at least a lot) of the bullshit and just make some sensible decisions and represent the people. I guess i just view Stewart and Colbert as sensible and I think they wouldn't play the game of politics so much.
signature

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:20 am UTC

Sorry, but without playing that game, nothing would get done. You seem to be attributing a great deal of power to the executive branch that it simply does not have. Not without at least a majority in both the senate and the house, that is.

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

natraj

Postby natraj » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:35 am UTC

I am a terrible unpatriotic anarchist who isn't voting, but. Ah. I would vote, just to vote for him. It would be for amusement value and nothing else, though.
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:37 am UTC

Wait, you're not voting because you're an anarchist or you're an anarchist for not voting?

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

natraj

Postby natraj » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:38 am UTC

22/7 wrote:Wait, you're not voting because you're an anarchist or you're an anarchist for not voting?

I'm not voting because I'm an anarchist.
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

ln|mower|+c

Postby ln|mower|+c » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:04 am UTC

22/7 wrote:Sorry, but without playing that game, nothing would get done. You seem to be attributing a great deal of power to the executive branch that it simply does not have. Not without at least a majority in both the senate and the house, that is.

I agree with you. I was waiting for someone to say something like that. But, to clarify what i posted earlier, I didn't necessarily mean that he would be a good president in terms of reform. Instead, what I meant was that I hope his strength would be in his honesty and sensibility. I mean, there are so many times you have seen Bush or a member of his administration avoid taking responsibility for something, lie, or just plain bullshit anyone who is listening. I guess my respect for Colbert/Stewart (especially Stewart) is so high that I couldn't seem him doing that or at least to that extent. I am probably naive.
signature

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:15 am UTC

Quite possibly you are, but I don't think it's something that will ever be tested, and so just don't tell anyone that you are and you never will be.

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

ln|mower|+c

Postby ln|mower|+c » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:17 am UTC

22/7 wrote:Quite possibly you are, but I don't think it's something that will ever be tested, and so just don't tell anyone that you are and you never will be.

Heh, agreed. Thanks for the tip.
signature

Malice

Postby Malice » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:49 am UTC

ln|mower|+c wrote:Instead, what I meant was that I hope his strength would be in his honesty and sensibility. I mean, there are so many times you have seen Bush or a member of his administration avoid taking responsibility for something, lie, or just plain bullshit anyone who is listening. I guess my respect for Colbert/Stewart (especially Stewart) is so high that I couldn't seem him doing that or at least to that extent. I am probably naive.

Go watch the movie "The Candidate". It's pretty good and stars Robert Redford. No, go. I'll wait.

Back? Good. Now, remember the part in that movie in which a normal, honest guy gets chewed up and turned into a fake politician just by virtue of the campaign/election process? Stewart/Colbert can afford to be honest because they're just television comedians. If either of them actually wanted to become President, they'd have to put away most of the jokes--and with it, the honesty.

Solt

Postby Solt » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:26 am UTC

Stephen Colbert is NOT FUNNY. Did you see his roast of the president? It was so pathetic, I was embarrassed for him.

Gadren wrote:I think it would be awesome, if only because it would show how much of a joke our elections are anyway.

I would love it if they ran because they would fail miserably, proving what you claim is a lie.

ln|mower|+c wrote:I disagree. I think the real Stewart and Colbert would both make good presidents (especially Stewart). As far as I can tell from many of the things I have read/seen about Stewart off camera, is that he seems to be a really intelligent person ( well-read and pretty knowledgeable). While he doesn't necessarily have the experience as a senator or congressman, I do think he would be a good president because I hope that if he were to ever get elected into office, he would cut out all (or at least a lot) of the bullshit and just make some sensible decisions and represent the people. I guess i just view Stewart and Colbert as sensible and I think they wouldn't play the game of politics so much.

That "bullshit" is necessary to keep our democracy functioning. It's easy when you're on the outside to make generalizations and portray things as much simpler than they are, and it's easy to judge.

Unless they figured out how to be real politicians, both would make terrible presidents and would get chewed up in their campaigns.
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,
produced a more reliable product. But sailors do
not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a
most annoying habit of splitting in two."
-J.W. Morris

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:53 am UTC

ln|mower|+c wrote:
fjafjan wrote:No neither Stewart nor Colbert would make a very good President. Colbert because as he himself has said is not particularily politcally savvy, and most of what he says is not written or thought up by he himself but rather writers (ofcourse he is I would think the main writer but none the less, you don't have your crew of writers in a debate) what he does great is deliver those lines aswell as improvise stuff. See he is good at improvising rediculousness. it's alot harder improvising profoundness and such.

I disagree. I think the real Stewart and Colbert would both make good presidents (especially Stewart). As far as I can tell from many of the things I have read/seen about Stewart off camera, is that he seems to be a really intelligent person ( well-read and pretty knowledgeable). While he doesn't necessarily have the experience as a senator or congressman, I do think he would be a good president because I hope that if he were to ever get elected into office, he would cut out all (or at least a lot) of the bullshit and just make some sensible decisions and represent the people. I guess i just view Stewart and Colbert as sensible and I think they wouldn't play the game of politics so much.

Well I can only speak of what I've heard and while some thing are reasonable he hasn't expressent a coherent opinion on most serious public policies, I mean yeah against Iraq was and critical of Bush, that's good, but what about taxes? He probably doesn't have much of an idea. Again I maintain that he is a good satirist but not much for public policy.

Tractor

Postby Tractor » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:12 pm UTC

Solt wrote:Stephen Colbert is NOT FUNNY. Did you see his roast of the president? It was so pathetic, I was embarrassed for him.

...Really? I cannot find accurate enough words to depict my disappointment in your taste and sense of humor.

Solt wrote:That "bullshit" is necessary to keep our democracy functioning. It's easy when you're on the outside to make generalizations and portray things as much simpler than they are, and it's easy to judge.

Unless they figured out how to be real politicians, both would make terrible presidents and would get chewed up in their campaigns.

Isn't it a sad state of affairs when a level of bullshit is 'necessary' to run things?
9 x 6 = 42

Note: Randall kicks ass.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:29 pm UTC

Tractor wrote:Isn't it a sad state of affairs when a level of bullshit is 'necessary' to run things?

that's a bad way to say it. Think of it this way. If we all were such brash idealists as to never compromise or concede anything to fulfill larger goals, we'd never reach a sufficient majority to do anything meaningful on any issue. Only through the game of "bullshit" does compromise become possible. You can all pat yourselves on the back for holding true to your ideas but that doesn't mean you're a useful politician. Compromise is the art of politics. Course, when compromise is in favor of one side or the other we like to use the dirtier words like manipulation and bullshitting. Still, it's a required concept. Nobody wins every fight in politics. Democracy wouldn't work very well if someone did.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

madaloon

Postby madaloon » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:41 pm UTC

The only contribution I really predict from Colbert is to draw attention away from the second tier candidates.
“Did I leave the gas on? No! I’m – no – I’m a fucking squirrel!”

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:27 pm UTC

Solt wrote:Stephen Colbert is NOT FUNNY. Did you see his roast of the president? It was so pathetic, I was embarrassed for him.

I thought the roast was worse than alot of his other segments(still good), but having cohones of doing it was still great. If nothing else the "better know a district" series is so funny I might die if I watched it all at once.

Solt

Postby Solt » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:08 am UTC

Tractor wrote:

...Really? I cannot find accurate enough words to depict my disappointment in your taste and sense of humor.

If you watch the video, you see that almost NO ONE is laughing. Maybe I have the same poor sense of humor as half the politicians in Washington? Or maybe Stephen Colbert is just unfunny.

Isn't it a sad state of affairs when a level of bullshit is 'necessary' to run things?

@mosc: good way of explaining things.

Politics is a must in a democracy. How else do you ensure that the right decisions are being made, that everyone is being included? If the president just "cut the bullshit" and "made sensible decisions" based on his beliefs, do you think he'd do a good job? No, he would alienate a lot of people for not considering their views. Before long people would be calling for his head.

"Cutting the bullshit" is fine if you are running a dictatorship where everything relies on one person. But in a society like ours, politics, however tiresome it may seem, is necessary to ensure it all works correctly.
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,

produced a more reliable product. But sailors do

not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a

most annoying habit of splitting in two."

-J.W. Morris

Gadren

Postby Gadren » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:13 am UTC

If you watch the video, you see that almost NO ONE is laughing. Maybe I have the same poor sense of humor as half the politicians in Washington? Or maybe Stephen Colbert is just unfunny.

Part of that is that they didn't have all the microphones for the audience's applause like on his show. Also, when it was the actual press and White House that were being roasted, I wouldn't expect them to laugh as easily as average viewers of the show.

Infornographer
Dick-in-a-Casserole

Postby Infornographer » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:29 am UTC

I couldn't vote for Colbert because while I know how he feels about the issues, I have no clue what he actually plans to do about them. If he reveals his plans and I agree with them, I would vote for him.
(Formerly Gnophilist)

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:15 am UTC

Wow, 36 Yes to 35 No. Close game!
fjafjan wrote: If nothing else the "better know a district" series is so funny I might die if I watched it all at once.

The Fightin' Whatevers!

Tractor

Postby Tractor » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:01 pm UTC

Solt wrote:
Tractor wrote:

Would you be laughing if he was calling you out? Half the hilarity was watching them have to sit there and take it.

Solt wrote:

@mosc: good way of explaining things.

Politics is a must in a democracy. How else do you ensure that the right decisions are being made, that everyone is being included? If the president just "cut the bullshit" and "made sensible decisions" based on his beliefs, do you think he'd do a good job? No, he would alienate a lot of people for not considering their views. Before long people would be calling for his head.

"Cutting the bullshit" is fine if you are running a dictatorship where everything relies on one person. But in a society like ours, politics, however tiresome it may seem, is necessary to ensure it all works correctly.

Hasn't Bush been doing that anyway? And then covering it with another layer of bullshit while it's all going wrong? (i.e. 'Mission Accomplished') I will agree that some compromise and such is necessary to run a good democracy. However, the system as of late has gotten too clogged down with politics and bullshit and need to cut way back.
9 x 6 = 42

Note: Randall kicks ass.

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:34 pm UTC

Stephen Colbert for president seems to be a publicity stunt to me. Normally, I'd say he'd make a pretty decent president...except in a time of military "crisis" that we have in Iraq. Possibly. Dunno for sure.

But I don't understand all the negative feelings against Colbert. I get the feeling that the sentiment is: "He's a comedian/media personality. Ergo he cannot be president". But I think the Gipper did pretty well. Then again, perhaps Colbert needs military duty to fit the bill. And a better media career. Heh.

Besides.... if a porn star can get voted into lower Italian Parliament, perhaps it's not so unfeasible that Colbert might have some sort of chance or at least is feasible.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:52 am UTC

Okita wrote:But I think the Gipper did pretty well.

That's likely to be a fairly contentious opinion around here. I know quite a few people who think the only president we've had in a long-ass time who was actually *worse* than Reagan is the current Bush.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

sunami

Postby sunami » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:55 am UTC

Solt wrote:
Tractor wrote:

You have based your opinion of whether or not it was funny on if the audience was laughing. The same people he is making fun of and saying what a terrible job they have been doing for the public (in either case of the politicians or the news media).

Hell, even if you don't find it funny, standing 20 feet away from the President of the United States and mocking him, sarcastically saying "You're doing a heck of a job!" >>while looking directly at him<< scores him about 7 trillion awesome points.
"You heard it here first: all my software is shitty."

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:16 pm UTC

I vote yes because that would be awesome.

madaloon

Postby madaloon » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:29 pm UTC

sunami wrote:
Solt wrote:
Tractor wrote:

You have based your opinion of whether or not it was funny on if the audience was laughing. The same people he is making fun of and saying what a terrible job they have been doing for the public (in either case of the politicians or the news media).

Hell, even if you don't find it funny, standing 20 feet away from the President of the United States and mocking him, sarcastically saying "You're doing a heck of a job!" >>while looking directly at him<< scores him about 7 trillion awesome points.

Truth.
“Did I leave the gas on? No! I’m – no – I’m a fucking squirrel!”

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:07 pm UTC

Solt wrote:Maybe I have the same poor sense of humor as half the politicians in Washington?

I wouldn't brag about that. Those are some humorless bastards.

sunami wrote:You have based your opinion of whether or not it was funny on if the audience was laughing. The same people he is making fun of and saying what a terrible job they have been doing for the public (in either case of the politicians or the news media).

Refusing to laugh and getting all outrage-y is, by the way, the exact *wrong* way to respond to that kind of satire. Satire is a subtle weapon, it tends to do a certain amount of damage no matter how you react to it. Getting outraged tends to drive the knife in deeper, it makes you look even more ridiculous: you're getting angry at a humorist. But if you laugh along with it, it tends to at least earn you a bit of love back.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

zenten

Postby zenten » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:24 pm UTC

Belial wrote:
Refusing to laugh and getting all outrage-y is, by the way, the exact *wrong* way to respond to that kind of satire. Satire is a subtle weapon, it tends to do a certain amount of damage no matter how you react to it. Getting outraged tends to drive the knife in deeper, it makes you look even more ridiculous: you're getting angry at a humorist. But if you laugh along with it, it tends to at least earn you a bit of love back.

That's how comedy shows up here managed to get politicians dressed up in Xena costumes (ok, that was a few years ago).

Ok, I just remembered that we're talking about Bush, I'm going to go burn out my eyes now.

Kudos

Postby Kudos » Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:43 am UTC

This group has 1,062,948 members as of a few seconds ago. It's probably gained another forty in the time it takes me to type this. I like to refresh repeatedly the page and watch the number rise.

Return to “News & Articles”