"w00t" Word of the Year

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

"w00t" Word of the Year

Postby Jack Saladin » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:33 am UTC

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/12/ ... 7745.shtml

Expect cheers among hardcore online game enthusiasts when they learn Merriam-Webster's Word of the Year. Or, more accurately, expect them to "w00t."

"W00t," a hybrid of letters and numbers used by gamers as an exclamation of happiness, topped all other terms in the Springfield dictionary publisher's online poll for the word that best sums up 2007.

Uhhh, w00t?

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Re: "w00t" Word of the Year

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:34 am UTC

There's no way "w00t" is better than "pwncakes".

Leery

Postby Leery » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:44 am UTC

what the hell does the CD9 mean in the picture next to the "woot" article?

Anpheus
I can't get any worse, can I?

Postby Anpheus » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:47 am UTC

SHH! Everyone here who knows what CD9 is, don't tell him!

(The secret society of the CD9 compels you not to.)

Hey, it's not like we can ruin mainstream media's image of "hacker" and "leet gamer" culture any more than promoting the idea that there are secret societies that revolve around it. Hey, if Anonymous gets to be a secret hacker clan, I think we gamers should have one too.
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

/###\_________/###\
  |#################|
  \#################/
   |##┌         ┐##|
   |##  (¯`v´¯)  ##|
   |##  `\ ♥ /´  ##|
   |##   `\¸/´   ##|
   |##└         ┘##|
  /#################\
  |#################|
  \###/¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯\###/

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:55 am UTC

They asked people online to vote for their favourite word. Of course it's going to be w00t.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:10 am UTC

Another link

I think I cried when I read this one.

NineMSN AU wrote:Massachusetts-based Merriam-Webster Inc. said "w00t" — typically spelled with two zeros — reflects a new direction in the American language led by a generation raised on video games and cell phone text-messaging.

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:42 am UTC

Oh Christ. This is how it starts. This is how it friggin' starts, man.

Maurog

Postby Maurog » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:20 am UTC

Hmm, the only explanation on the origins of "woot" that I heard, is that it derived from "wow, loot!" and can be traced back to tabletop RPGs. Never heard the ones in the article...

Linky
Slay the living! Raise the dead! Paint the sky in crimson red!

Zotnix

Postby Zotnix » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:22 pm UTC

Personally I thought w00t was waning if anything. It just doesn't seem as popular now as it did awhile ago. "Truthiness" was sure picked up fast though, which is odd. It was picked the year it was coined.

In anycase, language changes, and we should embrace it. I never quite understood the hoards of "English purists" (Yes, I went there) decrying the "defilement" of their language. Static language sucks.

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:29 pm UTC

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:46 pm UTC

EDIT:@Zotnix, and anyone else who'll listen
You're absolutly right, Static language would be useless, vocabularies shift over time in order to be more appropriate to a civilisation's surroundings and status.

You know how long that takes? HUNDREDS OF FUCKING YEARS. (Which are like normal years, but they go past much faster(That was a joke)

You can pass of 1337-speak as a Natural byproduct of Language evolution. It fucking isn't, Come back to me if people are still saying"w00t" in 200 years, and I might consider it to be a proper word. Until then, 1337-speak is still a a slang subset. This is a perfect example of pop-culture spreading beyond it's chosen medium. Saying that what everyone accepts to be a definition is fine. Go ask someone what w00t means. Now ask someone else, and someone else, and someone else. I'd be very surprised if you got anything more specific than "General excitement or happiness" and even more surprised if this was consistent.
FIRST: Agree on what a (Trainee)word means
SECOND: Give it widespread usage (These steps are interchangable nowadays)
THIRD: Keep that usage consistent over a period of 25-100 years or so, greater or lesser depending on the usage of the word. In this case I'd say about 50
THEN it MIGHT be a word.

I know someone's going to bring up "Computer" or something, so I'll just say that it's meaning is definite, and agreed upon by common opinion, and it's use is probably more widespread.

To sum up everything I've just said:

Fads in common vocabulary are not Evolutionary shifts in language.
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

Zotnix

Postby Zotnix » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:39 pm UTC

Maseiken wrote:You know how long that takes? HUNDREDS OF FUCKING YEARS. (Which are like normal years, but they go past much faster(That was a joke)

You can pass of 1337-speak as a Natural byproduct of Language evolution. It fucking isn't, Come back to me if people are still saying"w00t" in 200 years, and I might consider it to be a proper word.

You are placing an arbitrary requirement for what is a "natural byproduct of language evolution." Why does a word have to be spoken in the future by 200 years in order to be considered proper? Words come and go within decades (tubular anyone?) and are still a natural byproduct of language evolution.

To use a biological example which may be incorrect, but an elephant seal's nose isn't useful. It may even cause the extinction of the species. That doesn't make it unnatural. Usefulness is not a measure of naturalness, even in language.

Maseiken wrote:Until then, 1337-speak is still a a slang subset. This is a perfect example of pop-culture spreading beyond it's chosen medium. Saying that what everyone accepts to be a definition is fine. Go ask someone what w00t means. Now ask someone else, and someone else, and someone else. I'd be very surprised if you got anything more specific than "General excitement or happiness" and even more surprised if this was consistent.

Subsets are valid evolutionary changes. They could be successful or not. I would also question who sets the medium limits of pop-culture? Also, why is consistency required? Words mean different things in different parts of the US, does this make them less valid?

Maseiken wrote:Fads in common vocabulary are not Evolutionary shifts in language.

You don't need an evolutionary *shift* to make a fad part of the evolution of languages. I do recommend reading Dawkins on genes and memes. The idea is even if the memes of leetspeak don't survive, parts of it may. That makes it a valid part of language evolution by virtue of being simply a change.

segmentation fault

Postby segmentation fault » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:46 pm UTC

it stands for "we own the other team", so wouldnt it be an acronym and not a word?
people are like LDL cholesterol for the internet

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:56 pm UTC

No, it doesn't. That's a backronym. It started as an exclamation for positive excitement.

darktalon

Postby darktalon » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:05 pm UTC

I don't know why "w00t" was deemed to "best sum up 2007". Maybe a lot of people have had a good year. I quite like it in its place, and it's better than a lot of internet slang. It's still not a proper word until it's in the OED, though.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:58 am UTC

Zotnix wrote:lots of reasonable points.

I wasn't trying to suggest that words be useful, or even widely used (OK, maybe I suggested that a bit, but I've changed my mind). I'd just like a word to well-defined, and long-lived before it's accepted, maybe I'm disagreeing with a lot of people there, but that seems reasonable to me. So far, "w00t" is neither of these things.

MotorToad
Really Repeatedly Redundantly Redundant

Postby MotorToad » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:30 am UTC

My first thought was to look at the date of this post. "Of what year is this the best word? Is this forum even that old?" W00t came, it was funny at the time, people bought t-shirts, then it went away.
Maseiken wrote:You know how long that takes? HUNDREDS OF FUCKING YEARS. (Which are like normal years, but they go past much faster(That was a joke)

I understand and at least mostly agree with what you're saying, but I'm curious if you think there might be some effect that the frequency that words get exchanged now (hey, look what we're all doing here :)) would have on the time period for a word to come into being or to change definition. I would guess more words go from writer to reader in a day now than did in a decade in the 18th or 19th centuries. I would expect the language to morph at a rate proportional to the rate of its use.

Wouldn't you agree that "bad" has taken on a genuinely new definition in the recent decades? And "bad" reminds me, I'll wager at least half of us use "adjective ass-noun" at least as often if not more than "adjective-ass noun." Does that count?
What did you bring the book I didn't want read out of up for?
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

Ghandi 2

Postby Ghandi 2 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:12 am UTC

This made me cry.

darktalon

Postby darktalon » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:52 am UTC

MotorToad wrote:And "bad" reminds me, I'll wager at least half of us use "adjective ass-noun" at least as often if not more than "adjective-ass noun." Does that count?

Really? I've hardly ever seen that construction and assumed it to be a typo when I did.

MotorToad
Really Repeatedly Redundantly Redundant

Postby MotorToad » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:22 pm UTC

darktalon wrote:
MotorToad wrote:And "bad" reminds me, I'll wager at least half of us use "adjective ass-noun" at least as often if not more than "adjective-ass noun." Does that count?

Really? I've hardly ever seen that construction and assumed it to be a typo when I did.

Really? An older one.
What did you bring the book I didn't want read out of up for?
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

darktalon

Postby darktalon » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:47 pm UTC

MotorToad wrote:
darktalon wrote:

Really? An older one.

One I'd not seen. I must really have an xkcd archive binge one of these days. :)

muteKi
Angry is too weak a term. Try "Fluffy".

Postby muteKi » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:57 am UTC

Heh. I only ever used it because I heard it said by one of the characters in Streets of Rage 3.
So that whole club scene idea is pretty reasonable to me, considering the inspirations of Streets of Rage.

ALSO, I always forgot that Dawkins coined the word meme. I suppose I can't blame him outright for its overuse, though.

thisisdavid

Postby thisisdavid » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:54 pm UTC

heheh a few weeks ago there was a word on the new york times crossword puzzle that was a 4 letter hacker expression of triumph :D
Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. That is to say, it can be done, but the frog tends to die in the process.
-E.B. White

muteKi
Angry is too weak a term. Try "Fluffy".

Postby muteKi » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:44 am UTC

woot: The WORD OF OUR TIME

Benitosimies

Postby Benitosimies » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:48 am UTC

w00t to me is a word that someone uses when they're trying too hard to not be a real person with a daily life.

...which makes sense for everquest nerds.
хлэб и Воля

Euclidomancer

Postby Euclidomancer » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:55 am UTC

I predict that a thousand years from now (given the human race hasn't died out) archeologists will be looking through ancient records of the year 2007 and see that the word chosen to represent our advancing time of new discoveries...was w00t.

Great impression :roll:
Or was I?

Anpheus
I can't get any worse, can I?

Postby Anpheus » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:05 am UTC

You're clearly not interested in etymology, lexicography, linguistics, etc.

I doubt archaeologists, anthropologists, lexicographers, &c. one thousand years will care now that w00t / woot was the word of the year in 2007. They'll be more impressed that we survived without blowing each other all to hell. Woot will be just one of how many hundreds, thousands of new words spawned by this generation? It has no particular significance other than one company says it's word of the year. Keep in mind, they're a dictionary company, and they have a vested interest in keeping their material interesting to people like us, so including fancy new words before they even have established meanings is entirely possible, and why not, it caught your attention, didn't it?
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

/###\_________/###\
  |#################|
  \#################/
   |##┌         ┐##|
   |##  (¯`v´¯)  ##|
   |##  `\ ♥ /´  ##|
   |##   `\¸/´   ##|
   |##└         ┘##|
  /#################\
  |#################|
  \###/¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯\###/

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:57 am UTC

Anpheus wins.

Return to “News & Articles”