RIAA hackers use XKCD comic

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Kartoffelkopf
Posts: 134
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:44 am UTC

RIAA hackers use XKCD comic

Postby Kartoffelkopf » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:52 am UTC

I recieved this link in my email from one of the many About.com mailing lists I subscribed to. I'm not sure whether the usage of the comic is meant to be ironic or just plain funny.

EDIT: ...this would be better off in the News section, wouldn't it? ^_^;

Yes it would.

User avatar
null
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:14 pm UTC

Re: RIAA hackers use XKCD comic

Postby null » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:50 am UTC

Mega-lolz.

I had an interesting discussion about music piracy...I came to the following conclusions:

If people pirate music, the bands that get pirated the most wont bring as much money in to the record company. Jobs must be lost. I suspect the first people to go will be the redundant people in the fat corporations (assuming they know how to Right-Size properly). Advertising expendature will fall. Maybe the band will lose their big fat record label.

But surely, if the band loves making music, they will go to a smaller recording studio and put out albums on iTunes...No real advertising except for their website and fansites/fora and airtime on radio stations...I dont expect gigs to stop, because i have heard all gigs, from 200 people in a youth centre to 60,000 people at a festival makes *profit* for the organisers AND the bands. Making fancy music videos might be a bit difficult on a small budget though...Ah well, screw MTV.

Ofcourse, 'stars' like Shitney Brears may not bring in such big money...but who cares? I hope money-grabbing pop-'stars' go bust ASAP. Clear up the radio stations for decent music.

Now I wonder what demographics pirate the most music - id guess computer literate 15 to 30 year-olds. Id also guess they probably dont listen to pop (mostly indie/rock/metal/dance?). So sadly, if 13 year old girls and the computer illiterate masses keep buying pop music...We might still get plauged with crap stuff. Oh well.

What was my friends conclusion to all this?

'People make music to make money - no money, no music. Piracy is bad.'

I tried to point out that some people make music in their spare time, but she would have none of it....

User avatar
wst
Posts: 2613
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:06 am UTC

Re: RIAA hackers use XKCD comic

Postby wst » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:35 pm UTC

Kartoffelkopf wrote:I recieved this link in my email from one of the many About.com mailing lists I subscribed to. I'm not sure whether the usage of the comic is meant to be ironic or just plain funny.

EDIT: ...this would be better off in the News section, wouldn't it? ^_^;


Awesome. Nothing else needs saying.

Hehe, those RIAA guys have been molested hard by hackers recently.
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

User avatar
hyperion
"I'll show ye...."
Posts: 1569
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:16 pm UTC
Location: Perth

Re: RIAA hackers use XKCD comic

Postby hyperion » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:37 pm UTC

How is it ironic?
Peshmerga wrote:A blow job would probably get you a LOT of cheeseburgers.
But I digress.

User avatar
Quadropus
Posts: 572
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:30 pm UTC

Re: RIAA hackers use XKCD comic

Postby Quadropus » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:05 pm UTC

heh, that made me laugh a bit.
On the subject of piracy, you can find out how much moneys worth of illegal stuff you have on your computer here. I remember mine came to around $4000....
Image

"If I go insane, please don't put your wires in my brain"

User avatar
hyperion
"I'll show ye...."
Posts: 1569
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:16 pm UTC
Location: Perth

Re: RIAA hackers use XKCD comic

Postby hyperion » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:10 pm UTC

Quadropus wrote:you can find out how much moneys worth of illegal stuff you have on your computer here.

$864.26
...
/me goes to download more music
Peshmerga wrote:A blow job would probably get you a LOT of cheeseburgers.
But I digress.

User avatar
stockpot
Posts: 217
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:37 am UTC

Re: RIAA hackers use XKCD comic

Postby stockpot » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:07 pm UTC

Quadropus wrote:find out how much moneys worth of illegal stuff you have on your computer
If Winamp's done the adding correctly, then $35,255 :shock:

User avatar
Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.
Posts: 2926
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:48 am UTC
Location: In ur fora posting in teh threads

Re: RIAA hackers use XKCD comic

Postby Mathmagic » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:17 pm UTC

$1230.75

Thankfully I don't download movies or TV shows... I just watch them on the internet. :D
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26510
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: RIAA hackers use XKCD comic

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:33 pm UTC

See, the calculator has no place for "How many Adobe products have you pirated?" or "How many versions of AutoCAD do you have just for the hell of it?" kind of questions... I mean, the total cost that calculator came up with.. I know I've got more than that in Adobe products alone.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
davef
NomNomNommin' the Rockenclature!
Posts: 1767
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:56 pm UTC
Location: The Ice Pit!
Contact:

Re: RIAA hackers use XKCD comic

Postby davef » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:36 pm UTC

Quadropus wrote:On the subject of piracy, you can find out how much moneys worth of illegal stuff you have on your computer here.

This is bullshit. It assumes that everything on your hard drive is pirated. Mine came out at $24k, but I bought most of my music.

I did enjoy the screenshot of the RIAA wobsite, though!
Ciúnas, bóthar, cailín, bainne.

User avatar
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick
Posts: 8933
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:33 pm UTC
Location: One of those hot places

Re: RIAA hackers use XKCD comic

Postby Bakemaster » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:10 pm UTC

null wrote:'People make music to make money - no money, no music. Piracy is bad.'

Musicians make music to make music. You can't pirate a live show, only a recording. Piracy is primarily bad for non-musicians in the music industry.

Note that I haven't said piracy doesn't hurt the musicians. I end up purchasing more than half of the albums I download.
Image
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

User avatar
TizzyFoe
Posts: 292
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:57 am UTC
Location: Indiana (usa)
Contact:

Re: RIAA hackers use XKCD comic

Postby TizzyFoe » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:19 pm UTC

16,354.74 :shock:

885 hours of music comes to $15,845. That seems like to much to me.

I don't feel bad about piracy. Like i care if millionaires are making a little bit less money. Its not like i had 16 grand to spend anyway. Either i don't have the music and video and they don't get money or i do have the music and video and they don't get money.

I do look forward to seeing how wins the piracy war. I can't imagine it going on forever, either the RIAA is going to find a pretty effective way to stop it or eventually there going to stop spending their money trying.
"My folks were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?"
"But existing is basically all I do!"

Mo0man
Posts: 1258
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:46 am UTC
Location: 2 weeks ago

Re: RIAA hackers use XKCD comic

Postby Mo0man » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:34 pm UTC

885 hours, one album is one hour, more or less
16000/885 = around 18 bucks

Taking into account the massive price gouging, I'd take that to be about correct
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

User avatar
d3adf001
Posts: 1000
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:27 pm UTC
Location: State College, PA
Contact:

Re: RIAA hackers use XKCD comic

Postby d3adf001 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:12 pm UTC

th real question is how much are you cheating the band out of? if it wasnt for downloading i wouldnt listen to 99% of music since i dont like the radio and i cant find the music i listen to in stores around me and its too expensive to ship

User avatar
Shizo
Posts: 736
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:12 am UTC
Location: almost-Canada
Contact:

Re: RIAA hackers use XKCD comic

Postby Shizo » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:15 pm UTC

Heh, apparently having almost every SNES game in ROM form is expensive. $39369.18
Image

User avatar
Eschatokyrios
Posts: 244
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:49 pm UTC

Re: RIAA hackers use XKCD comic

Postby Eschatokyrios » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:34 pm UTC

I have $5924.16 worth of pirated material (not counting music because I can't figure out how to make Amarok display the total time of every song in its collection. Which irks the hell out of me, to be frank, Winamp did this easily). That'd probably be in the 20-30k range if my music were counted.
კაცი ბჭობდა, ღმერთი იცინოდაო
k'atsi bch'obda, ghmerti itsinodao
"Man was discussing, God was laughing"
-Georgian proverb

User avatar
TheTankengine
Our Fora-father
Posts: 3328
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:09 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, KY
Contact:

Re: RIAA hackers use XKCD comic

Postby TheTankengine » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:49 pm UTC

davef wrote:
Quadropus wrote:On the subject of piracy, you can find out how much moneys worth of illegal stuff you have on your computer here.

This is bullshit. It assumes that everything on your hard drive is pirated. Mine came out at $24k, but I bought most of my music.

No, it doesn't. You just can't read.

Notes section wrote:And remember not to count material which you bought legally!


Shizo wrote:Heh, apparently having almost every SNES game in ROM form is expensive. $39369.18

It assumes every video game costs $49.95 so it's pretty useless to count SNES games.

My total from that calculator is $6577.

Also:248579 sins committed :D
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

User avatar
d3adf001
Posts: 1000
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:27 pm UTC
Location: State College, PA
Contact:

Re: RIAA hackers use XKCD comic

Postby d3adf001 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:53 pm UTC

Eschatokyrios wrote:I have $5924.16 worth of pirated material (not counting music because I can't figure out how to make Amarok display the total time of every song in its collection. Which irks the hell out of me, to be frank, Winamp did this easily). That'd probably be in the 20-30k range if my music were counted.


under stats it tells you how many albums you have also you could add the whole collection to the queue and it will tell on the bottom. but mine says 2 weeks and i know its not that on the dot

User avatar
Spoffin
Posts: 509
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:51 am UTC

Re: RIAA hackers use XKCD comic

Postby Spoffin » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:55 pm UTC

TizzyFoe wrote:I don't feel bad about piracy. Like i care if millionaires are making a little bit less money. Its not like i had 16 grand to spend anyway. Either i don't have the music and video and they don't get money or i do have the music and video and they don't get money.

I disagree with this argument, but I don't feel bad about piracy because every advance in technology has made copyright owners freak out about losing money, and yet books and music and movies have still been created, and also because filesharing is good for 90% of musicians when judged by a head count of musicians, and also because the big media companies have a secret agenda of mind control (and Randall agrees with me on this one)
The thing to remember about Spoffin is that he's playing by rules no one else understands

User avatar
davef
NomNomNommin' the Rockenclature!
Posts: 1767
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:56 pm UTC
Location: The Ice Pit!
Contact:

Re: RIAA hackers use XKCD comic

Postby davef » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:00 pm UTC

TheTankengine wrote:
davef wrote:This is bullshit. It assumes that everything on your hard drive is pirated. Mine came out at $24k, but I bought most of my music.
No, it doesn't. You just can't read.
Notes section wrote:And remember not to count material which you bought legally!
Oops.

In my defence, however, the Notes section is, in fact, titled Notes (you can probably skip this part).

There's no way I'm going through 18,000 tunes to establish which were bought and which were pirated, though. I'm going to watch The Right Stuff instead.

(Edit - on second thought, I think Casino instead...)

Incidentally, the site also has a sin calculator. I scored 0ver 380,000!
Ciúnas, bóthar, cailín, bainne.

Govneh
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:40 am UTC

Re: RIAA hackers use XKCD comic

Postby Govneh » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:03 pm UTC

null wrote:
'People make music to make money - no money, no music. Piracy is bad.'


Interestingly enough, too, record companies reap most the benefits of music sales. Sure the artist gets some, but they also get a large sum from concerts. You screw the recording companies more by pirating music then the artist. Just look at what Radiohead did. Don't know the figure, but they made a ton from small, voluntary donations.

User avatar
4=5
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:02 am UTC

Re: RIAA hackers use XKCD comic

Postby 4=5 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:21 pm UTC

davef wrote:Incidentally, the site also has a sin calculator. I scored 0ver 380,000!

I only scored OVER 9000!!!

User avatar
davef
NomNomNommin' the Rockenclature!
Posts: 1767
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:56 pm UTC
Location: The Ice Pit!
Contact:

Re: RIAA hackers use XKCD comic

Postby davef » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:22 am UTC

Govneh wrote:Just look at what Radiohead did. Don't know the figure, but they made a ton from small, voluntary donations.

Here's the other side of that coin. Trent Reznor co-produced the new album by Saul Williams, The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of NiggyTardust. They made the album available online for free, with a superior quality download also available for $5. Over 150,000 people downloaded the free version but only 28,000 opted for the $5 version. This is a record company-free release, with no money spent on distribution or marketing (but a considerable sum spent on recording and production), therefore the $5 goes straight into the artist's pocket. Those who justify their downloading of music as a 'fuck you' to the major labels have nothing to go on here.

I'm not sure what I think of all this yet, or what it says about people's attitudes, or what it means for the music industry in the future, but it's something I'll be paying close attention to.
Ciúnas, bóthar, cailín, bainne.

User avatar
parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time
Posts: 5539
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:17 am UTC
Location: la-la land
Contact:

Re: RIAA hackers use XKCD comic

Postby parkaboy » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:55 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:See, the calculator has no place for "How many Adobe products have you pirated?" or "How many versions of AutoCAD do you have just for the hell of it?" kind of questions... I mean, the total cost that calculator came up with.. I know I've got more than that in Adobe products alone.


haha yeah. "how many versions of photoshop do you have that you HAVENT paid for?"

>_>;;; pass....

4=5 wrote:
davef wrote:Incidentally, the site also has a sin calculator. I scored 0ver 380,000!

I only scored OVER 9000!!!


excellent use of the comic!!

on this i scored just over 228,000 =]
Image

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

User avatar
Master Gunner
Posts: 546
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:40 am UTC
Location: Canada, eh?
Contact:

Re: RIAA hackers use XKCD comic

Postby Master Gunner » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:58 am UTC

I apparently have over $5000 in pirated media, and I've sinned 53828 times.

User avatar
hyperion
"I'll show ye...."
Posts: 1569
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:16 pm UTC
Location: Perth

Re: RIAA hackers use XKCD comic

Postby hyperion » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:24 am UTC

AHAHAHAHAAA
Going by the RIAA's figure of $150k per song downloaded, I could be sued for...
Spoiler:
$90,000,000
That's 90 million dollars :D
Peshmerga wrote:A blow job would probably get you a LOT of cheeseburgers.
But I digress.

User avatar
mazzilliu
Posts: 228
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:44 am UTC
Location: your mom
Contact:

Re: RIAA hackers use XKCD comic

Postby mazzilliu » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:32 am UTC

Defacing other's property is wrong and all but... I can't really bring myself to feel bad for the RIAA

that said my collection rounds out to be just under 2 grand :D
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

User avatar
Malice
Posts: 3894
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:37 am UTC
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

Re: RIAA hackers use XKCD comic

Postby Malice » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:15 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:
null wrote:'People make music to make money - no money, no music. Piracy is bad.'

Musicians make music to make music.


1. Musicians need food to make music.
2. Musicians deserve money for making music.
Image

User avatar
hyperion
"I'll show ye...."
Posts: 1569
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:16 pm UTC
Location: Perth

Re: RIAA hackers use XKCD comic

Postby hyperion » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:18 am UTC

Malice wrote:
Bakemaster wrote:
null wrote:'People make music to make money - no money, no music. Piracy is bad.'

Musicians make music to make music.


1. Musicians need food to make music.
2. Musicians deserve money for making music.

Musicians who only make music for the money don't deserve any money, IMO.
Peshmerga wrote:A blow job would probably get you a LOT of cheeseburgers.
But I digress.

User avatar
Malice
Posts: 3894
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:37 am UTC
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

Re: RIAA hackers use XKCD comic

Postby Malice » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:59 am UTC

HYPERiON wrote:
Malice wrote:
Bakemaster wrote:
null wrote:'People make music to make money - no money, no music. Piracy is bad.'

Musicians make music to make music.


1. Musicians need food to make music.
2. Musicians deserve money for making music.

Musicians who only make music for the money don't deserve any money, IMO.


How, exactly, do you make that distinction?

After all, why do the uber-rich stars keep making music? If they were only in it for the money, they'd probably stop once they had enough to build, you know, a house entirely out of 100 dollar bills. If they do it after that, it's probably because they enjoy making music, right?

Just out of curiosity, what do you do for a living? Would you still do it if they didn't pay you? If so, you're luckier than most.
Image

zenten
Posts: 3799
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:42 am UTC
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: RIAA hackers use XKCD comic

Postby zenten » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:35 pm UTC

davef wrote:
Govneh wrote:Just look at what Radiohead did. Don't know the figure, but they made a ton from small, voluntary donations.

Here's the other side of that coin. Trent Reznor co-produced the new album by Saul Williams, The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of NiggyTardust. They made the album available online for free, with a superior quality download also available for $5. Over 150,000 people downloaded the free version but only 28,000 opted for the $5 version. This is a record company-free release, with no money spent on distribution or marketing (but a considerable sum spent on recording and production), therefore the $5 goes straight into the artist's pocket. Those who justify their downloading of music as a 'fuck you' to the major labels have nothing to go on here.

I'm not sure what I think of all this yet, or what it says about people's attitudes, or what it means for the music industry in the future, but it's something I'll be paying close attention to.


How is it saying "fuck you", since it was given away freely? Maybe it just says most people don't care about high quality sound files, since they're just going to be listening to the music with crappy PC speakers or crappy headphones anyway.

User avatar
Spoffin
Posts: 509
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:51 am UTC

Re: RIAA hackers use XKCD comic

Postby Spoffin » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:54 pm UTC

Malice wrote:After all, why do the uber-rich stars keep making music? If they were only in it for the money, they'd probably stop once they had enough to build, you know, a house entirely out of 100 dollar bills. If they do it after that, it's probably because they enjoy making music, right?

I don't know about this. I don't think that money becomes abstract as soon as you have enough. I know we mere mortals find it hard to see the difference between $100 million and $200 million, but if you're actually thinking about how you can actually spend actual money, I bet you run out of money before you run out of ideas.

The other thing is, you can't just sit back, have strippers feed you grapes and cocaine for 15 years and then release another album and get another 15 years of fake tits clenched round your Pina Coladas. You've got to keep your hand in, keep doing stuff so that people don't forget you're alive. I'm sure there are artists who stay in it for the love of it, but I don't think that that's the only reason to keep cutting records after you can buy the whole street you grew up on.
The thing to remember about Spoffin is that he's playing by rules no one else understands

Rysto
Posts: 1460
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:07 am UTC

Re: RIAA hackers use XKCD comic

Postby Rysto » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:55 am UTC

zenten wrote:How is it saying "fuck you", since it was given away freely? Maybe it just says most people don't care about high quality sound files, since they're just going to be listening to the music with crappy PC speakers or crappy headphones anyway.

That's davef's point. Nobody who went the free download route can justify that as being a "fuck you" to a record company. Therefore they must have been motivated by something else.

User avatar
thedufer
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:11 am UTC
Location: Northern VA (not to be confused with VA)
Contact:

Re: RIAA hackers use XKCD comic

Postby thedufer » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:59 am UTC

davef wrote:Incidentally, the site also has a sin calculator. I scored 0ver 380,000!


Hrmphh. Only 115,000 or so. However, the commentary to the right of each question is hilarious (as are some of the questions).

User avatar
Marvin
Posts: 153
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:03 am UTC
Location: Croatia
Contact:

Re: RIAA hackers use XKCD comic

Postby Marvin » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:46 am UTC

the truth:
i have most my music pirated
if i would not have it pirated, i would listen to radio

so no artist/company lost any money from me, and IIRC there was some study that showed that a lot of people buy music after they download it from intenetz, because they want to hear the whole album and not just this one song before they spend their money. And those like me? You can not force me to buy any music, it's not that i think it's not worth any money, it's just that i think i'll spend my money elsewhere and get the music from free sources (like radio) if it suddenly becomes unavailable online...
42
--
If God intended us to program we would be born with serial I/O ports.

User avatar
Malice
Posts: 3894
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:37 am UTC
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

Re: RIAA hackers use XKCD comic

Postby Malice » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:59 am UTC

Marvin wrote:the truth:
i have most my music pirated
if i would not have it pirated, i would listen to radio

so no artist/company lost any money from me, and IIRC there was some study that showed that a lot of people buy music after they download it from intenetz, because they want to hear the whole album and not just this one song before they spend their money. And those like me? You can not force me to buy any music, it's not that i think it's not worth any money, it's just that i think i'll spend my money elsewhere and get the music from free sources (like radio) if it suddenly becomes unavailable online...


Radio is fine, because musicians receive money from your patronage.

Also: yes, some people download, decide they like something, and then buy it. However, that's still taking money from the artist, because of the time difference. A thousand dollars today is worth more than a thousand dollars tomorrow, due to inflation and interest on investments.
Image

User avatar
hyperion
"I'll show ye...."
Posts: 1569
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:16 pm UTC
Location: Perth

Re: RIAA hackers use XKCD comic

Postby hyperion » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:08 am UTC

Malice wrote:
Marvin wrote:the truth:
i have most my music pirated
if i would not have it pirated, i would listen to radio

so no artist/company lost any money from me, and IIRC there was some study that showed that a lot of people buy music after they download it from intenetz, because they want to hear the whole album and not just this one song before they spend their money. And those like me? You can not force me to buy any music, it's not that i think it's not worth any money, it's just that i think i'll spend my money elsewhere and get the music from free sources (like radio) if it suddenly becomes unavailable online...


Radio is fine, because musicians receive money from your patronage.

Radio stations pay the artists/record companies the same amount regardless of whether I listen or not.
Peshmerga wrote:A blow job would probably get you a LOT of cheeseburgers.
But I digress.

User avatar
Dream
WINNING
Posts: 4338
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:20 pm UTC
Location: The Hollow Scene Epic

Re: RIAA hackers use XKCD comic

Postby Dream » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:22 pm UTC

HYPERiON wrote:
Malice wrote:
Marvin wrote:the truth:
i have most my music pirated
if i would not have it pirated, i would listen to radio

so no artist/company lost any money from me, and IIRC there was some study that showed that a lot of people buy music after they download it from intenetz, because they want to hear the whole album and not just this one song before they spend their money. And those like me? You can not force me to buy any music, it's not that i think it's not worth any money, it's just that i think i'll spend my money elsewhere and get the music from free sources (like radio) if it suddenly becomes unavailable online...


Radio is fine, because musicians receive money from your patronage.

Radio stations pay the artists/record companies the same amount regardless of whether I listen or not.
Think about it in terms of the control you have over the music. You can't play radio on demand, nor can you make it play only what you like, or what you want to hear right now. You just turn it on, and listen. for music in your own collection, you can listen whenever you want, as often as you want, you have complete control over these things. This means you can't use the existence of radio to justify owning a pirated music collection. Radio and music collections are not interchangable, and you get added value and utility by choosing pirated material over broadcast material. You haven't pai for this added value, and you would lose it if you went back to just radio.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

GMontag
Posts: 209
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:47 am UTC
Location: Bellingham, Washington

Re: RIAA hackers use XKCD comic

Postby GMontag » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:14 pm UTC

Malice wrote:
Bakemaster wrote:
null wrote:'People make music to make money - no money, no music. Piracy is bad.'

Musicians make music to make music.


1. Musicians need food to make music.
2. Musicians deserve money for making music.


#2 is ridiculous. Musicians deserve money if they can get people to pay them for making music.

User avatar
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance
Posts: 30450
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:04 am UTC
Contact:

Re: RIAA hackers use XKCD comic

Postby Belial » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:20 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:See, the calculator has no place for "How many Adobe products have you pirated?" or "How many versions of AutoCAD do you have just for the hell of it?" kind of questions... I mean, the total cost that calculator came up with.. I know I've got more than that in Adobe products alone.


To be fair, I've heard convincing arguments that piracy is part of Adobe's business plan, and that home users pirating their stuff is exactly what they want.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.


They/them


Return to “News & Articles”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Leovan, pex and 9 guests