Arthur C. Clarke Dies Aged 90

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

The Spherical Cow

Arthur C. Clarke Dies Aged 90

Postby The Spherical Cow » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:07 pm UTC

Arthur C. Clarke has died.

As said here, I think we owe Clarke a lot more than just as an excellent writer and story-teller. He was an inspiration to generations of scientists.

EDIT: Here's his 90th birthday video, only taken 3/4 months ago.
Last edited by The Spherical Cow on Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:34 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

cypherspace

Re: Arthur C. Clarke Dies Aged 90

Postby cypherspace » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:15 pm UTC

No no no no no! Shit!

This man was almost a prophet. An incredible thinker and visionary.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:20 pm UTC

I'm shocked to read of his death too. Though I suppose to have lived to 90 is a very good innings, and he certainly had the time to see his efforts bear fruit in the years after his initial writings. I'd say he's on a par with Asimov, maybe higher, I don't know my ye olde sci-fi too well. He was a true visionary and key component of the growth of the science-fiction genre, and we all owe him a great deal. May he rest in peace.

emo samurai

Postby emo samurai » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:20 pm UTC

I know that in 20,30 minutes, I'll see a news report of some embryonic super-being orbiting earth, gazing down upon our struggles with a beatific indulgence.

I know, I know, I know it.

odayjuarez

Postby odayjuarez » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:22 pm UTC

Arthur C. Clarke wrote:When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.

I have that printed out and stuck above my computer. He inspired multiple generations to take an interest in science.
Donald Knuth wrote:Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it.

traltixx

Postby traltixx » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:40 pm UTC

Couldnt he just wait 3 days? It would be vernal equinox then and his passing would be remembered out there with such dates as new years in various cultures.

semicolon

Postby semicolon » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:45 pm UTC

Man, a week or so ago I looked up Heinlein in Wikipedia to see when he died, and I was like, "oh wow, Arthur C. Clarke's old as hell. He's probably gonna die soon." And then he did! Crazy!

Great guy, though. He'll definitely be missed. What's with all these nerd dieties dying lately? First Gaigax, now this.

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:56 pm UTC

This sucks.
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

Miles Invictus

Postby Miles Invictus » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:57 pm UTC

Dammit! There goes one of the world's greatest science fiction writers. :(

Herman

Postby Herman » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:45 am UTC

Him and Asimov got me through middle school. His stories were... sufficiently advanced.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:04 am UTC

To remember him, I've been reading Wikiquote.

• When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.
  • Every revolutionary idea — in science, politics, art, or whatever — seems to evoke three stages of reaction. They may be summed up by the phrases:
    (1) "It's completely impossible — don't waste my time";
    (2) "It's possible, but it's not worth doing";
    (3) "I said it was a good idea all along."
  • We seldom stop to think that we are still creatures of the sea, able to leave it only because, from birth to death, we wear the water-filled space suits of our skins.
  • If we have learned one thing from the history of invention and discovery, it is that, in the long run — and often in the short one — the most daring prophecies seem laughably conservative.
  • Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

Rey

Postby Rey » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:50 am UTC

http://depletedcranium.com/

In an appropriately poetic twist, Clarke died on the 19th of March 2008 at around 1:30 AM. As of the writing of this post, it is currently only the 18th in the most of the western world. In death as in life, Clarke was one step ahead of most of the world. He died tomorrow just as he lived in tomorrow.
The revolution will be televised in HD,
for the children!

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:28 am UTC

Rey wrote:http://depletedcranium.com/

In an appropriately poetic twist, Clarke died on the 19th of March 2008 at around 1:30 AM. As of the writing of this post, it is currently only the 18th in the most of the western world. In death as in life, Clarke was one step ahead of most of the world. He died tomorrow just as he lived in tomorrow.

Exactly what I said when I first heard he died tomorrow. Such a great man of science fiction that he even managed to die in the future.

I shall definitely put my books at half mast.

Pathway
Leon Sumbitches...?

Postby Pathway » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:57 am UTC

Man, I kind of felt left out when Gygax died because I don't play DnD.

Should've known better. This sucks. Clarke was a master, one of the old greats. The only one I can really compare him to is Asimov, but Asimov died in 1992 so I'm used to Asimov being gone. This is a huge loss.

Now I really have to pick up his collaborations with Stephen Baxter.

Oh, and to celebrate his life, let's all do something that involves satellites in geostationary orbit! I call orbital Pong. You guys can have GPS.
SargeZT wrote:Oh dear no, I love penguins. They're my favorite animal ever besides cows.

The reason I would kill penguins would be, no one ever, ever fucking kills penguins.

Darcey

Postby Darcey » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:30 am UTC

http://decorumcomics.com/comic.php?id=151

My tribute to Mr. Clarke, who, as far as I am concerned, is the best science fiction writer ever.

lowbart

Postby lowbart » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:06 pm UTC

I always liked Clarke better than Asimov. They both had interesting ideas but Clark had a more elegant and natural command of his language.

This is very sad. But, at least he had a good run.
...a fish called the Henamo grunter, named because it makes grunting noises from its swim bladder.
v1nsai wrote:Yes, I'm Linux, how can I help you ma'am?

MalumOpus

Postby MalumOpus » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:24 pm UTC

It is a shame, but I guess he did have a hell of a long life. I'm never that sad when great people die after a good eighty or ninety years - they've already given the world most of what they have to offer in most cases.

When fantastic people die essentially halfway through their lives (Douglas Adams for example), then it does get to me a bit.

Garm

Postby Garm » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:54 pm UTC

I just saw this news elsewhere. Sad times indeed. His books were truely amazing. "Rendezvous with Rama" certainly captured my imagination.

I like these quotes by him.

If we have learned one thing from the history of invention and discovery, it is that, in the long run — and often in the short one — the most daring prophecies seem laughably conservative.

I think this is so true. With the exception of a very few authors (William Gibson being one), most of the predictions of the future have come up quite short. We can call people like Clarke true visionaries because their work continues to inspire our imaginations.

Here he is talking about the civilizations that would arise on a planet orbiting a red dwarf star. A sun that might be stable for a trillion years.

They will have time enough, in those endless aeons, to attempt all things, and to gather all knowledge ... no Gods imagined by our minds have ever possessed the powers they will command ... But for all that, they may envy us, basking in the bright afterglow of Creation; for we knew the Universe when it was young.

R.I.P. Mr. Clarke.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

aneeshm

Postby aneeshm » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:51 pm UTC

A little tribute I've composed to the Big Three, now that they last of them is gone.

A Tribute to the Trinity

Today, on the 19th of March, 2008, the last of the Big Three has passed away, and the beginning of their age has finally come to an end. For they are those that have seen the future, and shaped it. Arthur C. Clarke has gone on to join Heinlein and Asimov in death.

Today, as a tribute to him, I went out and bought a collection of his short stories, along with two of his novels. My chest is leaden knowing that that collection is now complete, and that never shall anything be added to it again.

I remember when, as a child, I read the short stories and Foundation series by Asimov, and the Space Odyssey series by Clarke. It is only in them that I found the cleanness and honesty and innocence of spirit which drew me to the pleasures and rigour of science and engineering, and to where I am now.

It is not known how many young people became interested in the sciences because of these three. Probably, the space program of many a country has them to thank for its existence. They inspired in us the confidence that the world does, contrary to all that we have been told, make sense.

No matter how I felt when cracked open a book by any of them, by the end of a few pages, I was always lost in the sublimely elegant worlds of their creation, and when I finally returned, it was always with a renewed sense of optimism, of joy, of a gayness of the spirit which buoyed me up throughout the most trying of times.

For a time, I could be as a child again, lost in plain wonder at existence and the excitement of discovery, in amazement at the miracle of my humanity, mesmerised by a vision of our boundless potential, by dreams of our expansion into the vastness of space, and by the final vision of our surpassing of ourselves. I still can

It was Clarke who popularised the idea of the satellite and geosynchronous satellite. The reason I can talk with my friends across three oceans is because of this man's vision.

The man who can truly dream is one in a million. He who can show others his dream, and enthral them with his vision, is rarer still. And rarest of all is one who can inspire others to dream their own dreams, and to be an oasis when the world seems to them like a desert.

Thank you, Big Three, for quenching the thirst of millions of lost, wandering, and parched young minds. Thank you for teaching us to dream. Thank you for fuelling our soul when it seemed that its fire would go out. Thank you for giving us the optimism to always push on. And thank you most of all for reminding us always, without hesitation or doubt, that no matter what we set out to do, it's possible.

Wherever you are, Deus of our Skies, may it always be full of stars.

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:14 am UTC

I certainly am saddened by his death. His was the first SF I ever read, capturing my imagination and propelling me to think for the future. "Rendezvous with Rama" was without a doubt some of the best fiction I have read. He lived a good life, and I figure that 90 is a nice long time to be on this planet.
Mr. Clarke, you will be missed. Thank You.

Return to “News & Articles”