Man declared dead, says he feels 'pretty good'

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Aluminus

Man declared dead, says he feels 'pretty good'

Postby Aluminus » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:53 am UTC

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/03/24/NotDea ... rss_latest

Story Highlights
# Family members were paying last respects when Dunlap moved hand and foot
# He remembers hearing doctors pronounce him dead
# Father says brain scan showed no activity
# Mother says it was a miraculous feeling to discover son still alive

:shock:
fyrenwater wrote:Oh dear God, I just imagined this horrible scenario of a psychotic non-people-person running around, trying to steal the people-person section of people-peoples' brains to implant into their own brain.

Zak

Re: Man declared dead, says he feels 'pretty good'

Postby Zak » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:22 am UTC

Magic?
*waggles eyebrows*

4=5

Postby 4=5 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:56 am UTC

it's a miracle !
commence the scientific studying :D

Dr.Robert

Postby Dr.Robert » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:05 am UTC

Proof of God's existence!!!

(I would hope that our resurrected man is an atheist, for irony's sake).

psyck0

Postby psyck0 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:28 pm UTC

Unsure about the brain scan, but I know that there is a disorder where you periodically become totally paralysed and your vital signs practically disappear (heart slows so much that the pulse isn't noticeable, etc). Could this be that?

Blubb3r3ng3l

Postby Blubb3r3ng3l » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:12 pm UTC

So... should we look at this as a miracle of biblical proportion...

or some really really bad doctors who didn't really bother seeing what his condition was?

Ah well. 4 month coma. 'spose that is pretty neat. Anyways, glad to see his end quote :roll:
Let us a little permit Nature to take her own way; she understands Her own affairs better than we ~ Montaigne
embarrass the hell out of me
The only emotion ducks can feel is hate. -__Kit

Aluminus

Postby Aluminus » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:45 pm UTC

He wasn't in a coma for four months. This news only came out four months after his accident.

And this is no miracle folks, it's happened before. A guy in Russia was on the autopsy table in the morgue and he came back to life. He told reporters that he was frustrated that he couldn't breathe (his lungs had collapsed when the put him in cold storage). When the coroner began to make the chest Y incision, he opened his eyes. The coroner almost had a heart attack. The guy was declared 'dead' after he was hit by a taxi cab.
fyrenwater wrote:Oh dear God, I just imagined this horrible scenario of a psychotic non-people-person running around, trying to steal the people-person section of people-peoples' brains to implant into their own brain.

4=5

Postby 4=5 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:20 pm UTC

but that doesn't mean it's not a miracle

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:04 am UTC

We can declare it a miracle after we check to make sure he has no hunger for the brains or flesh of the living.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

moxmallow

Postby moxmallow » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:45 am UTC

Not sure whether this is a "miracle" or just a half-assed job on the medical side. :?
Kalos wrote:Big O notation, because despite having 26 english letters, 24 greek letters, and the ability to make up symbols, we STILL choose the one letter easiest confused with a zero

Solt

Postby Solt » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:09 am UTC

:shock: Scientific explanation for the resurrection of Christ?
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,
produced a more reliable product. But sailors do
not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a
most annoying habit of splitting in two."
-J.W. Morris

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:10 am UTC

Well, either 4=5 needs to be more specific about what a "miracle" actually is or he's being sarcastic. I do believe it's the latter.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:29 am UTC

Solt wrote::shock: Scientific explanation for the resurrection of Christ?

...that is an excellent observation.

*ponders*
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

4=5

Postby 4=5 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:36 am UTC

I was just saying that it fits the usual definition for a miracle, hopefully we can reproduce it so we know why he showed no brain activity.

zealo

Postby zealo » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:30 am UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:We can declare it a miracle after we check to make sure he has no hunger for the brains or flesh of the living.

that was my response. this is a serious concern! will no one think of the CHILDREN?
ave_matthew wrote:in a perfect system a gallon of body fat is worth one third of the US GDP

Aluminus

Postby Aluminus » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:13 pm UTC

I think some people here are misunderstanding the mechanism of death. In clinical settings, there is usually only one kind of death that matters: brain death. It is (so far) an excellent way of telling whether or not somebody is dead. As far as the doctors could tell, using the techniques available to them they had no reason to suspect that the man might still have been "alive" in any concrete capacity. If the brain ain't talkin' to the doc, it probably ain't talkin' the rest of the body.

What likely happened here, is that the brain activity was below a level deemed "enough" to keep a person alive. "Brain Dead" does not necessarily mean "un-resurrectable". Here, the man's brain was so quiet that it probably was not worth trying to "bring him back to life" using magic Science. There are literally hundreds of cases through history of people being buried before they were dead. That's why that skit in The Search For The Holy Grail is so funny, because it really happened, dozens of times.

Modern medicine can only get better at figuring out if someone is dead or not. Why? Because the human body does not die all at once. The brain goes first, because it takes up 80% of your body's oxygen. Right after that is cardiac tissue. Major organ failure follows soon after. Apoptosis occurs only when cell use up their immediate resources.

If one more person posts something about miracles or Christ, I will be tempted to smack you with Science

zealo

Postby zealo » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:42 pm UTC

however, this case shows the current method of answering the question "is that guy dead?" is clearly lacking, which makes it possible if not likely that other people in exactly the same condition continue to be buried 'alive', or given up on allowed to die when they could still recover.

i find that thought scary.
ave_matthew wrote:in a perfect system a gallon of body fat is worth one third of the US GDP

Aluminus

Postby Aluminus » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:50 pm UTC

zealo wrote:however, this case shows the current method of answering the question "is that guy dead?" is clearly lacking, which makes it possible if not likely that other people in exactly the same condition continue to be buried 'alive', or given up on allowed to die when they could still recover.

i find that thought scary.
Absolutely, I think a lot of people do. Case-in-point:

In the 1700's there was a nasty disease going around that rendered you in a death-ambiguous* state for about 12 hours (details are sketchy, don't take my word for this). When grave robbers tried to dig up one particular woman's grave, they found her face down in her coffin, nails worn off from clawing at the lid. They thought she was a witch, because clearly bringing yourself back from the dead while still underground must have been black magic. In the end the grave robbers were too afraid to steal the stuff that was buried with her, for fear that she had put a hex on all of it. Her skull is in a museum somewhere.

*Thankfully, we now know that not-breathing, heart-stopped, unresponsive does not mean dead. Heck, dead does not mean dead anymore. You can be clinically dead, and then be brought back to life. They do this for crazy-bypass-open-heart-surgery, I believe.

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:07 pm UTC

Aluminus wrote:I think some people here are misunderstanding the mechanism of death. In clinical settings, there is usually only one kind of death that matters: brain death. It is (so far) an excellent way of telling whether or not somebody is dead. As far as the doctors could tell, using the techniques available to them they had no reason to suspect that the man might still have been "alive" in any concrete capacity. If the brain ain't talkin' to the doc, it probably ain't talkin' the rest of the body.

What likely happened here, is that the brain activity was below a level deemed "enough" to keep a person alive. "Brain Dead" does not necessarily mean "un-resurrectable". Here, the man's brain was so quiet that it probably was not worth trying to "bring him back to life" using magic Science. There are literally hundreds of cases through history of people being buried before they were dead. That's why that skit in The Search For The Holy Grail is so funny, because it really happened, dozens of times.

Modern medicine can only get better at figuring out if someone is dead or not. Why? Because the human body does not die all at once. The brain goes first, because it takes up 80% of your body's oxygen. Right after that is cardiac tissue. Major organ failure follows soon after. Apoptosis occurs only when cell use up their immediate resources.

If one more person posts something about miracles or Christ, I will be tempted to smack you with Science

Wait, what???? That skit was not about being buried alive or about people being declared dead when they're not. It's about someone trying to use the plague as a way to get rid of an elderly family member.

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Cooley

Postby Cooley » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:29 pm UTC

I remember hearing that bells used to be attached to headstones with a string leading into the coffin several centuries ago, because some people had the annoying habit of not staying dead once they were in the ground. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safety_coffin

I wonder if the guy from the article will consider investing in one of these after what he's been through... Too bad there's no record of them ever saving anybody.

Ari

Postby Ari » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:11 am UTC

22/7 wrote:Wait, what???? That skit was not about being buried alive or about people being declared dead when they're not. It's about someone trying to use the plague as a way to get rid of an elderly family member.

Which is why it's great that it's so funny- because people actually do appear dead when they're not, so it might get people to think about that :P Art reflecting life, etc...
"Hey %*&^er, offensive communication works fine so long as you do it respectfully." :D
"I am so quoting that out of context at a later date."

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:37 am UTC

Ari wrote:
22/7 wrote:Wait, what???? That skit was not about being buried alive or about people being declared dead when they're not. It's about someone trying to use the plague as a way to get rid of an elderly family member.

Which is why it's great that it's so funny- because people actually do appear dead when they're not, so it might get people to think about that :P Art reflecting life, etc...
I know what you're getting at, but I honestly don't think the skit had anything to do with that. I mean, he tells the old man to shut up and the guy with the cart specifically says he can't take him until he's dead. I know I'm being nit-picky, but c'mon, it's Monty Python.

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Ari

Postby Ari » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:52 am UTC

22/7 wrote:I know what you're getting at, but I honestly don't think the skit had anything to do with that. I mean, he tells the old man to shut up and the guy with the cart specifically says he can't take him until he's dead. I know I'm being nit-picky, but c'mon, it's Monty Python.

I'm not saying that it was intended that way. Just that it happened to turn out that way, which adds another layer to the humour. Yay accidental humour! :)
"Hey %*&^er, offensive communication works fine so long as you do it respectfully." :D
"I am so quoting that out of context at a later date."

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:54 am UTC

Fair enough.

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Aluminus

Postby Aluminus » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:39 am UTC

I think a similar thing can happen if general anesthesia goes wrong. Like you're on the operating table and you can feel them slicing up your insides, but you can't move or open your eyes.

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:55 am UTC

Reading the comments, this reminds me say if something happened on earth and 1000 people are left, I;m sure they would all start believing in god, and that they were saved, and I thought no matter what they'll think this, yeah can't remember where I was going with this... get what I mean? So if you're one of those people you know don't change your religious affiliaiton.

Jules: We should be fuckin' dead now, my friend! We just witnessed a miracle, and I want you to fucking acknowledge it!
Vincent: Okay man, it was a miracle, can we leave now?
=]

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:05 am UTC

Aluminus wrote:There are literally hundreds of cases through history of people being buried before they were dead.
Surely the number is higher than that, if you're counting intentional premature burials? (If not, how did the interrers later find out that the person wasn't dead when buried)?

Either way, that has got to be one of the worst ways to go - at least for anyone who, like me, is claustrophobic. I guess even if you weren't before, you soon would be after having something like that happen to you.
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:30 am UTC

zealo wrote:
aleflamedyud wrote:We can declare it a miracle after we check to make sure he has no hunger for the brains or flesh of the living.

that was my response. this is a serious concern! will no one think of the CHILDREN?

I should hope somebody ordered an armed guard with shotguns.

This is certainly why I could never work in a hospital. First thing after a situation like this. Hello, 911. The dead are coming back. WE NEED SHOTGUNS FOR THIS SHIT!

Return to “News & Articles”