Police raid on FLDS compound

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
ekzrated
Posts: 458
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:42 pm UTC
Location: Material plane. Sometimes.
Contact:

Police raid on FLDS compound

Postby ekzrated » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:01 pm UTC

I searched, did not find a thread about this.
Link So, as much as I dislike the idea of children in a dangerous situation, how is removing these kids from their families a good thing? Despite Warren Jeff's current legal situation, are we to assume that all the children in this compound are in the same dangers? Am I the only one who feels this raid was opportunistic?
I'M MY OWN CASE-STUDY!!!!!!

zenten
Posts: 3799
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:42 am UTC
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: Police raid on FLDS compound

Postby zenten » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:08 pm UTC

ekzrated wrote:I searched, did not find a thread about this.
Link So, as much as I dislike the idea of children in a dangerous situation, how is removing these kids from their families a good thing? Despite Warren Jeff's current legal situation, are we to assume that all the children in this compound are in the same dangers? Am I the only one who feels this raid was opportunistic?


I think it's safe to say that just about all the kids were in danger there (or probably have already been subjected to nasty abuse).

I know nothing about the foster care program in Texas though to comment on how much better (or worse) things will be there.

User avatar
ekzrated
Posts: 458
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:42 pm UTC
Location: Material plane. Sometimes.
Contact:

Re: Police raid on FLDS compound

Postby ekzrated » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:20 pm UTC

zenten wrote:I think it's safe to say that just about all the kids were in danger there (or probably have already been subjected to nasty abuse).
I don't agree with you. Again, simply because they followed Warren Jeff's ideology doesn't necessarily mean they were all in danger. I will admit I don't personally know exactly what kinds of conditions these children lived in, but to assume that all those families were inherently causing their kids harm seems very unlikely to me.
I'M MY OWN CASE-STUDY!!!!!!

User avatar
PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature
Posts: 4576
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:37 pm UTC
Location: Sacramento, CA
Contact:

Re: Police raid on FLDS compound

Postby PictureSarah » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:32 pm UTC

From what I've read, I think all the kids probably were in danger. All the girls were in danger of being forced to "marry" men in their early teens and bear children for them, while often being beaten or otherwise abused. Boys were in danger of being kicked off the compound as teenagers (having absolutely NO knowledge of the outside world, other than what they have been told, which is that outsiders are evil) because the older men don't want couplings of young people, they'd rather just keep adding girls onto their harems.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

zenten
Posts: 3799
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:42 am UTC
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: Police raid on FLDS compound

Postby zenten » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:46 pm UTC

ekzrated wrote:
zenten wrote:I think it's safe to say that just about all the kids were in danger there (or probably have already been subjected to nasty abuse).
I don't agree with you. Again, simply because they followed Warren Jeff's ideology doesn't necessarily mean they were all in danger. I will admit I don't personally know exactly what kinds of conditions these children lived in, but to assume that all those families were inherently causing their kids harm seems very unlikely to me.


I would say it is very likely to me.

However, obviously the people actually doing the police raids should know better than either of us before their got their warrant.

User avatar
lorenith
Posts: 1123
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:35 am UTC
Location: Transient
Contact:

Re: Police raid on FLDS compound

Postby lorenith » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:32 pm UTC

You might want to keep in mind they didn't just take the children, they took all the women too from what I've heard.

Edit: Ok, they didn't take all the Women, but a fair number left on their own accord.

Also, some random quotes from an article.

The affidavit unsealed Wednesday mentions a 16-year-old girl who has four children......The search...began last Thursday after a 16-year-old girl called a local family violence shelter to report her 50-year-old husband beat and raped her.


Since then, the state has taken legal custody of 416 children,... Another 139 women voluntarily left the compound.... and were being housed with the children.


Court documents said a number of teen girls at the compound were pregnant, and all the children were removed on the grounds that they were in danger of "emotional, physical, and-or sexual abuse."


Linky to article

psyck0
Posts: 1651
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:58 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Police raid on FLDS compound

Postby psyck0 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:06 pm UTC

They should learn from scientology and sue everyone to hide their illegal practices.

Edit: Apparently, they're not Mormons. Apologies. I'm Canadian, and we don't have either of them up here, at least not in any numbers.
Last edited by psyck0 on Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:44 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Otis
Posts: 72
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:12 am UTC

Re: Police raid on FLDS compound

Postby Otis » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:36 am UTC

psyck0 wrote:Mormons should learn from scientology and sue everyone to hide their illegal practices.


Ok. I expect this sort of ignorance on most interenet forums but I thought the people here were smart enough to do a little research. The Mormon church is in no way affiliated with the FLDS church. I understand it's mainly the fault of ignorant reporters who lumped the two into the same group but they are very different.

Back on topic...

If you have any doubts that women and children are abused in that community let me tell you that it is entirely true. I live about 30 minutes from Colorado City (the city Warren Jeffs used to live in) and there are a lot of very young people that leave into a society that they only know about from magazines. Most of them appear to be pretty normal but after talking to them for a while you can tell there's something a little...off.


Return to “News & Articles”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: elasto, KittenKaboodle and 18 guests