Cannadian panel may rule if sex practices protected

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

zenten
Posts: 3799
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:42 am UTC
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Cannadian panel may rule if sex practices protected

Postby zenten » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:17 pm UTC

http://www.reuters.com/article/oddlyEno ... EnoughNews

While I'm unsure about the actually legality of this as well, I'm hoping it passes, as I am a firm believer that the only people who have any say on what goes on in the bedroom should be in said bedroom at the time.

psyck0
Posts: 1651
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:58 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Cannadian panel may rule if sex practices protected

Postby psyck0 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:27 pm UTC

So... is he saying that someone refused to give him a permit to be a chauffeur because he likes BDSM? I'm not even sure how that would come up!

zenten
Posts: 3799
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:42 am UTC
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: Cannadian panel may rule if sex practices protected

Postby zenten » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:43 pm UTC

psyck0 wrote:So... is he saying that someone refused to give him a permit to be a chauffeur because he likes BDSM? I'm not even sure how that would come up!


I'm not sure either.

I'm also not sure why this article (or possibly this guy) seems to think being a pagan and being into BDSM has anything to do with each other.

User avatar
Quixotess
No. Cookies.
Posts: 3243
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 7:26 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Cannadian panel may rule if sex practices protected

Postby Quixotess » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:15 pm UTC

*shrug* Because the Christian church discourages "alternative" sexual practices, from homosexuality to BDSM to polyamory.
Raise up the torch and light the way.

Silas
Posts: 1091
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:08 pm UTC

Re: Cannadian panel may rule if sex practices protected

Postby Silas » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:27 pm UTC

zenten wrote:...I am a firm believer that the only people who have any say on what goes on in the bedroom should be in said bedroom at the time.


There's more than one way to make that a reality. Be careful what you wish for.
Felstaff wrote:Serves you goddamned right. I hope you're happy, Cake Ruiner

zenten
Posts: 3799
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:42 am UTC
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: Cannadian panel may rule if sex practices protected

Postby zenten » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:32 pm UTC

Silas wrote:
zenten wrote:...I am a firm believer that the only people who have any say on what goes on in the bedroom should be in said bedroom at the time.


There's more than one way to make that a reality. Be careful what you wish for.


I must be missing more than the one. Could you explain?

User avatar
Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!
Posts: 11265
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 9:16 pm UTC
Location: Prince George In A Can
Contact:

Re: Cannadian panel may rule if sex practices protected

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:38 pm UTC

A chicken in every pot, and a government official in every bedroom.

User avatar
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance
Posts: 30450
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:04 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Cannadian panel may rule if sex practices protected

Postby Belial » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:39 pm UTC

Solution: Fuck in the kitchen instead
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.


They/them


User avatar
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance
Posts: 30450
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:04 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Cannadian panel may rule if sex practices protected

Postby Belial » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:45 pm UTC

Okay, but only if you've got duct tape...
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.


They/them

User avatar
Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.
Posts: 6491
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:16 am UTC
Location: Boston

Re: Cannadian panel may rule if sex practices protected

Postby Azrael » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:56 pm UTC

'Cause damn, does it squirm ... um ... i mean ...

User avatar
22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.
Posts: 6475
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:30 pm UTC
Location: 127.0.0.1

Re: Cannadian panel may rule if sex practices protected

Postby 22/7 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:25 pm UTC

zenten wrote:
psyck0 wrote:So... is he saying that someone refused to give him a permit to be a chauffeur because he likes BDSM? I'm not even sure how that would come up!


I'm not sure either.

I'm also not sure why this article (or possibly this guy) seems to think being a pagan and being into BDSM has anything to do with each other.

It appears that the guy thinks they are related. He may be practicing something that, in his view, includes BDSM.
Quixotess wrote:*shrug* Because the Christian church discourages "alternative" sexual practices, from homosexuality to BDSM to polyamory.
What does this have to do with anything?

I don't get how BDSM could be labeled an orientation any more than any position or oral/anal/vaginal could. I don't honestly see how the guy has a case, which is kind of sad, because how he chooses to get off (assuming it's legal) shouldn't be anyone else's concern/business.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

zenten
Posts: 3799
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:42 am UTC
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: Cannadian panel may rule if sex practices protected

Postby zenten » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:41 pm UTC

22/7 wrote:I don't get how BDSM could be labeled an orientation any more than any position or oral/anal/vaginal could. I don't honestly see how the guy has a case, which is kind of sad, because how he chooses to get off (assuming it's legal) shouldn't be anyone else's concern/business.


He probably doesn't, but he might. Canadian law is funny like that.

User avatar
Ondore
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:38 pm UTC
Location: Chiron Beta Prime

Re: Cannadian panel may rule if sex practices protected

Postby Ondore » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:17 pm UTC

"The state has no place in the bedrooms of the nation."
- Pierre Trudeau, former prime minister of Canada

Oh, the irony.

zenten
Posts: 3799
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:42 am UTC
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: Cannadian panel may rule if sex practices protected

Postby zenten » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:57 pm UTC

Ondore wrote:"The state has no place in the bedrooms of the nation."
- Pierre Trudeau, former prime minister of Canada

Oh, the irony.


Well, he was responsible for the same Charter that is being used in this defense.

User avatar
TheStranger
Posts: 896
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:39 pm UTC
Location: The Void which Binds

Re: Cannadian panel may rule if sex practices protected

Postby TheStranger » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:36 am UTC

There is nowhere near enough information in this article to form an opinion.

Some questions...
How did his 'BDSM' lifestyle and his Pagan beliefs even come up during the application process (did it ask 'do you like to be spanked?' or did he show up in assless chaps & ball gag).
When did BDSM become an 'orientation'? I know Paganism is a broad belief system, but I don't remember BDSM being part of it. I'm wondering if this guy was denied his permit and has pulled this discrimination bit to get it reversed.

I also like the last bit...
Justice Anne Rowles wrote:How can the tribunal determine if BDSM falls within the meaning of 'sexual orientation' if it does not have a full understanding of what BDSM means?
"To bow before the pressure of the ignorant is weakness."
Azalin Rex, Wizard-King of Darkon

zenten
Posts: 3799
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:42 am UTC
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: Cannadian panel may rule if sex practices protected

Postby zenten » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:22 am UTC

TheStranger wrote:T
How did his 'BDSM' lifestyle and his Pagan beliefs even come up during the application process (did it ask 'do you like to be spanked?' or did he show up in assless chaps & ball gag).


I'm blaming Facebook.

Otis
Posts: 72
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:12 am UTC

Re: Cannadian panel may rule if sex practices protected

Postby Otis » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:34 am UTC

I also like the last bit...
Justice Anne Rowles wrote:How can the tribunal determine if BDSM falls within the meaning of 'sexual orientation' if it does not have a full understanding of what BDSM means?
[/quote]

Does that mean they're going to come up with an official government defined list of things that fall into that "orientation."

zenten
Posts: 3799
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:42 am UTC
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: Cannadian panel may rule if sex practices protected

Postby zenten » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:19 pm UTC

Otis wrote:I also like the last bit...
Justice Anne Rowles wrote:How can the tribunal determine if BDSM falls within the meaning of 'sexual orientation' if it does not have a full understanding of what BDSM means?


Does that mean they're going to come up with an official government defined list of things that fall into that "orientation."


Probably not. The Canadian supreme court tends to favour more general statements.

User avatar
Blubb3r3ng3l
Posts: 352
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:41 am UTC

Re: Cannadian panel may rule if sex practices protected

Postby Blubb3r3ng3l » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:13 pm UTC

Belial wrote:Okay, but only if you've got duct tape...

heh, more like DUCK tape!!!!111one AMIRITE?!
Let us a little permit Nature to take her own way; she understands Her own affairs better than we ~ Montaigne
embarrass the hell out of me
The only emotion ducks can feel is hate. -__Kit

User avatar
Solt
Posts: 1912
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:08 am UTC
Location: California

Re: Cannadian panel may rule if sex practices protected

Postby Solt » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:21 pm UTC

zenten wrote:
Silas wrote:
zenten wrote:...I am a firm believer that the only people who have any say on what goes on in the bedroom should be in said bedroom at the time.


There's more than one way to make that a reality. Be careful what you wish for.


I must be missing more than the one. Could you explain?


He's referring to rape maybe?
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,
produced a more reliable product. But sailors do
not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a
most annoying habit of splitting in two."
-J.W. Morris

Rysto
Posts: 1460
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:07 am UTC

Re: Cannadian panel may rule if sex practices protected

Postby Rysto » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:19 am UTC

Solt wrote:
zenten wrote:
Silas wrote:
zenten wrote:...I am a firm believer that the only people who have any say on what goes on in the bedroom should be in said bedroom at the time.


There's more than one way to make that a reality. Be careful what you wish for.


I must be missing more than the one. Could you explain?


He's referring to rape maybe?


No, he meant this:

A chicken in every pot, and a government official in every bedroom.

zenten
Posts: 3799
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:42 am UTC
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: Cannadian panel may rule if sex practices protected

Postby zenten » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:19 am UTC

Rysto wrote:
A chicken in every pot, and a government official in every bedroom.


Well, I am married to one ;)

User avatar
Jjarro
Posts: 204
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:29 am UTC
Location: Arvada Colorado, U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Cannadian panel may rule if sex practices protected

Postby Jjarro » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:23 am UTC

That's a new solution. How much harder is it to resist the government when you're sleeping with it?
Of course, it might just make for better character drama in the inevitable novelization of your struggle for freedom.

User avatar
Ari
Posts: 725
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:09 pm UTC
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Re: Cannadian panel may rule if sex practices protected

Postby Ari » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:31 am UTC

Well, he certainly shouldn't be discriminated against because he likes kinky sex, but BDSM has nothing to do with "sexual orientation". A fetish is likely developmentally caused, while it's quite possible that sexual orientation is caused by hormonal exposure.

Still, I suppose if he has a history of tying people up and then raping them, then it clearly is relevant to whether people should give him a job as a chauffeur. If someone just happened to google his name during his job application and find a ton of information about kinky sex, then they're discriminating.

Makes you wonder if "sexual fetishes" will ever make it into the bill of rights XD
"Hey %*&^er, offensive communication works fine so long as you do it respectfully." :D
"I am so quoting that out of context at a later date."

User avatar
22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.
Posts: 6475
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:30 pm UTC
Location: 127.0.0.1

Re: Cannadian panel may rule if sex practices protected

Postby 22/7 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:02 am UTC

Ari wrote:Well, he certainly shouldn't be discriminated against because he likes kinky sex, but BDSM has nothing to do with "sexual orientation". A fetish is likely developmentally caused, while it's quite possible that sexual orientation is caused by hormonal exposure.

Still, I suppose if he has a history of tying people up and then raping them, then it clearly is relevant to whether people should give him a job as a chauffeur.
Except that those are two very different circumstances. On the one hand you're talking about the contents of a background check (is he a felon? is he a sex-offender?) and on the other you're talking about what he's doing in his own bedroom with another consenting adult.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

User avatar
Ari
Posts: 725
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:09 pm UTC
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Re: Cannadian panel may rule if sex practices protected

Postby Ari » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:12 am UTC

22/7 wrote:Except that those are two very different circumstances. On the one hand you're talking about the contents of a background check (is he a felon? is he a sex-offender?) and on the other you're talking about what he's doing in his own bedroom with another consenting adult.


Yeah, they were supposed to be very different circumstances, but obviously I wasn't paying attention with the second paragraph. I meant to say I was speculating on what would make it okay. Sorry about that.
"Hey %*&^er, offensive communication works fine so long as you do it respectfully." :D
"I am so quoting that out of context at a later date."

User avatar
22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.
Posts: 6475
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:30 pm UTC
Location: 127.0.0.1

Re: Cannadian panel may rule if sex practices protected

Postby 22/7 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:35 pm UTC

I understand what you're getting at. But I still think that it's best to leave it at "he's a felon, we're not hiring him", as discriminating based on sexual preferences is, imo, a very slippery slope.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!


Return to “News & Articles”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests