Ohio Teen Texts For Help During Burglary

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
PatrickRsGhost
Posts: 2278
Joined: Fri May 04, 2007 5:43 pm UTC
Location: ZZ9PluralZAlpha
Contact:

Ohio Teen Texts For Help During Burglary

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Thu May 01, 2008 5:05 pm UTC

An Ohio teen, at home sick from school, texts her mother while a burglary was occurring in her home.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24403433

I'd say she was very brave to hide under the covers of her bed. What gets me is wouldn't the intruders have noticed a lump under the covers in the shape of a human body? At one point they sat on her bed while she was still in it, discussing what they planned to steal. And they probably would have heard the *tap-tap-tappity-tap* of her punching the keys on the cell phone, and worst of all, the *beep* when she got a new text message, unless she turned off the ringer on the cell phone.
PRG

An important message for you:

010000100110010100100000011100110
111010101110010011001010010000001
110100011011110010000001100101011
000010111010000100000011110010110
111101110101011100100010000001100
010011000010110001101101111011011
1000101110

User avatar
lowbart
Posts: 668
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:00 pm UTC
Location: northeastern USA
Contact:

Re: Ohio Teen Texts For Help During Burglary

Postby lowbart » Thu May 01, 2008 5:19 pm UTC

Wouldn't it make more sense to text the police?
...a fish called the Henamo grunter, named because it makes grunting noises from its swim bladder.
v1nsai wrote:Yes, I'm Linux, how can I help you ma'am?

Green9090
Posts: 516
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:40 pm UTC
Location: California

Re: Ohio Teen Texts For Help During Burglary

Postby Green9090 » Thu May 01, 2008 5:32 pm UTC

Do the police have a number you can text?
Belial wrote:A man with more arms than the entire hindu pantheon and thirty goddamn dicks has no time for logic! He must consume ever more bacon to fuel his incalculable manhood!

Robin S
Posts: 3579
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:02 pm UTC
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: Ohio Teen Texts For Help During Burglary

Postby Robin S » Thu May 01, 2008 6:41 pm UTC

I know that you can in at least some parts of the UK; not sure what the situation is in Ohio.
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

User avatar
Gunfingers
Posts: 2401
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 7:15 pm UTC

Re: Ohio Teen Texts For Help During Burglary

Postby Gunfingers » Thu May 01, 2008 8:28 pm UTC

I grew up in Ohio, and i'd be surprised to find out the police stations can get calls from cell phones at all.

User avatar
22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.
Posts: 6475
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:30 pm UTC
Location: 127.0.0.1

Re: Ohio Teen Texts For Help During Burglary

Postby 22/7 » Fri May 02, 2008 1:52 am UTC

Gunfingers wrote:I grew up in Ohio, and i'd be surprised to find out the police stations can get calls from cell phones at all.

He's kidding.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

User avatar
Gunfingers
Posts: 2401
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 7:15 pm UTC

Re: Ohio Teen Texts For Help During Burglary

Postby Gunfingers » Fri May 02, 2008 1:53 am UTC

Who?

User avatar
Dusty Chalk
Posts: 142
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 9:00 pm UTC

Re: Ohio Teen Texts For Help During Burglary

Postby Dusty Chalk » Fri May 02, 2008 2:13 am UTC

I <3 this story. I heard it on the radio, and the announcer read the text as, "oh em gee, They're in the house. I think we're being robbed". And then the mother drove home, crashed her car into theirs, and then tackled one of the perps just as the police arrived. Smart kid, super mom.
I remain,
:-Peter, aka :-Dusty :-Chalk

User avatar
22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.
Posts: 6475
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:30 pm UTC
Location: 127.0.0.1

Re: Ohio Teen Texts For Help During Burglary

Postby 22/7 » Fri May 02, 2008 2:23 am UTC

Dusty Chalk wrote:I <3 this story. I heard it on the radio, and the announcer read the text as, "oh em gee, They're in the house. I think we're being robbed". And then the mother drove home, crashed her car into theirs, and then tackled one of the perps just as the police arrived. Smart kid, super mom.
That is fucking fantastic! Ridiculous amounts of props (do people still give those out? I'm going to, so I guess the answer is yes) to mom.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Silas
Posts: 1091
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:08 pm UTC

Re: Ohio Teen Texts For Help During Burglary

Postby Silas » Fri May 02, 2008 2:52 am UTC

22/7 wrote:
Gunfingers wrote:I grew up in Ohio, and i'd be surprised to find out the police stations can get calls from cell phones at all.

He's kidding.

Only a little bit. I've been to Ashtabula.

But at least we can all agree on something. Namely, that wrestling burglars to the ground is probably better than shooting them.

(what's really awful is that I couldn't find the particular man-shoots-burglar story I was looking for, among so many)
Felstaff wrote:Serves you goddamned right. I hope you're happy, Cake Ruiner

User avatar
22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.
Posts: 6475
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:30 pm UTC
Location: 127.0.0.1

Re: Ohio Teen Texts For Help During Burglary

Postby 22/7 » Fri May 02, 2008 4:42 pm UTC

Silas wrote:
22/7 wrote:
Gunfingers wrote:I grew up in Ohio, and i'd be surprised to find out the police stations can get calls from cell phones at all.

He's kidding.

Only a little bit. I've been to Ashtabula.

But at least we can all agree on something. Namely, that wrestling burglars to the ground is probably better than shooting them.

(what's really awful is that I couldn't find the particular man-shoots-burglar story I was looking for, among so many)

Uhh... no, I don't think we can all agree on something so controversial as that.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

User avatar
Torvaun
Posts: 2615
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:23 pm UTC
Location: 47°9′S, 126°43′W
Contact:

Re: Ohio Teen Texts For Help During Burglary

Postby Torvaun » Sat May 03, 2008 3:16 am UTC

I can say with the utmost certainty that if my daughter (hypothetical, if you need a real person then I'll go with my friend's little sister) was in a house with an unknown number of burglars, I would not waste time subduing them, I'd go for buckshot from the beginning.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

Otis
Posts: 72
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:12 am UTC

Re: Ohio Teen Texts For Help During Burglary

Postby Otis » Sat May 03, 2008 9:22 pm UTC

That veered straight into a gun control thread in only 10 posts.

I'm impressed.

Lycur
Posts: 470
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:06 pm UTC
Location: Nutopia

Re: Ohio Teen Texts For Help During Burglary

Postby Lycur » Sat May 03, 2008 9:47 pm UTC

Not only that, we're already advocating vigilante justice.

You know who else was a burgler? Hitler. There's Godwin's, what's left?

User avatar
Torvaun
Posts: 2615
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:23 pm UTC
Location: 47°9′S, 126°43′W
Contact:

Re: Ohio Teen Texts For Help During Burglary

Postby Torvaun » Sun May 04, 2008 12:28 am UTC

Is it still vigilante justice if it is defense of your family? Let's say a bunch of guys are assaulting my brother, and I step in, is that vigilante justice too? At this point, all the mom knew was that her daughter was in the house with an unknown number of criminals. It's not vigilante justice to shoot them.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

User avatar
22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.
Posts: 6475
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:30 pm UTC
Location: 127.0.0.1

Re: Ohio Teen Texts For Help During Burglary

Postby 22/7 » Sun May 04, 2008 11:45 pm UTC

Not only that, but it became a gun control issue because Silas asked everyone to be on the same side of a fairly controversial subject.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

masher
Posts: 821
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:07 pm UTC
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Ohio Teen Texts For Help During Burglary

Postby masher » Mon May 05, 2008 12:08 am UTC

Now it's an argument over whether it's an argument over gun control? :?

User avatar
podbaydoor
Posts: 7548
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:16 am UTC
Location: spaceship somewhere out there

Re: Ohio Teen Texts For Help During Burglary

Postby podbaydoor » Mon May 05, 2008 12:10 am UTC

Debate about debate is extremely entertaining, no?
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Silas
Posts: 1091
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:08 pm UTC

Re: Ohio Teen Texts For Help During Burglary

Postby Silas » Mon May 05, 2008 12:11 am UTC

22/7 wrote:Not only that, but it became a gun control issue because Silas asked everyone to be on the same side of a fairly controversial subject.

I thought it was pretty uncontroversial that the Ohio mom gave a unassailable account of herself, while the Texan who keeps shooting people outside his welding-supplies business is... disturbing. It was a quip, not a manifesto.
Last edited by Silas on Mon May 05, 2008 12:37 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Felstaff wrote:Serves you goddamned right. I hope you're happy, Cake Ruiner

User avatar
Delalyra
Posts: 1812
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:39 am UTC
Location: Western Mass
Contact:

Re: Ohio Teen Texts For Help During Burglary

Postby Delalyra » Mon May 05, 2008 12:11 am UTC

Okay, credits for using text messaging, epic mom, etc; but the actual text of the message really made me cringe. So I did this.
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

User avatar
22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.
Posts: 6475
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:30 pm UTC
Location: 127.0.0.1

Re: Ohio Teen Texts For Help During Burglary

Postby 22/7 » Mon May 05, 2008 7:17 am UTC

masher wrote:Now it's an argument over whether it's an argument over gun control? :?

No.
Silas wrote:
22/7 wrote:Not only that, but it became a gun control issue because Silas asked everyone to be on the same side of a fairly controversial subject.

I thought it was pretty uncontroversial that the Ohio mom gave a unassailable account of herself, while the Texan who keeps shooting people outside his welding-supplies business is... disturbing. It was a quip, not a manifesto.
Then saying that might have been helpful. What you actually said was that everyone was on the same side of a fairly controversial issue that, well, not everyone is on the same side of.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Silas
Posts: 1091
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:08 pm UTC

Re: Ohio Teen Texts For Help During Burglary

Postby Silas » Mon May 05, 2008 8:05 am UTC

22/7 wrote:Then saying that might have been helpful. What you actually said was that everyone was on the same side of a fairly controversial issue that, well, not everyone is on the same side of.

I thought then, and still think now, that the OP and the link I included should have sufficed to establish the context of my remark.
Felstaff wrote:Serves you goddamned right. I hope you're happy, Cake Ruiner

User avatar
22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.
Posts: 6475
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:30 pm UTC
Location: 127.0.0.1

Re: Ohio Teen Texts For Help During Burglary

Postby 22/7 » Mon May 05, 2008 5:30 pm UTC

Silas wrote:
22/7 wrote:Then saying that might have been helpful. What you actually said was that everyone was on the same side of a fairly controversial issue that, well, not everyone is on the same side of.

I thought then, and still think now, that the OP and the link I included should have sufficed to establish the context of my remark.

That's fine. I just didn't read it that way, and I maintain my position, that it's not as clear-cut as you're trying to make it. There is no "this guy is obviously better than this guy" between these two cases.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

zenten
Posts: 3799
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:42 am UTC
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: Ohio Teen Texts For Help During Burglary

Postby zenten » Mon May 05, 2008 6:09 pm UTC

Torvaun wrote:Is it still vigilante justice if it is defense of your family? Let's say a bunch of guys are assaulting my brother, and I step in, is that vigilante justice too? At this point, all the mom knew was that her daughter was in the house with an unknown number of criminals. It's not vigilante justice to shoot them.


That would require her to keep a shotgun at work, or in her car.

User avatar
22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.
Posts: 6475
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:30 pm UTC
Location: 127.0.0.1

Re: Ohio Teen Texts For Help During Burglary

Postby 22/7 » Mon May 05, 2008 6:26 pm UTC

zenten wrote:
Torvaun wrote:Is it still vigilante justice if it is defense of your family? Let's say a bunch of guys are assaulting my brother, and I step in, is that vigilante justice too? At this point, all the mom knew was that her daughter was in the house with an unknown number of criminals. It's not vigilante justice to shoot them.


That would require her to keep a shotgun at work, or in her car.

Or in a part of her house that she could get to before she found the burglars/the burglars found her.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

User avatar
Torvaun
Posts: 2615
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:23 pm UTC
Location: 47°9′S, 126°43′W
Contact:

Re: Ohio Teen Texts For Help During Burglary

Postby Torvaun » Mon May 05, 2008 6:42 pm UTC

zenten wrote:
Torvaun wrote:Is it still vigilante justice if it is defense of your family? Let's say a bunch of guys are assaulting my brother, and I step in, is that vigilante justice too? At this point, all the mom knew was that her daughter was in the house with an unknown number of criminals. It's not vigilante justice to shoot them.


That would require her to keep a shotgun at work, or in her car.

Oh, I agree that it's quite possible for there to be tactical issues with laying hands on a shotgun at a time like that, I was making a statement regarding the moral issues involved. Namely, that I don't think there are any, though I realize others feel differently.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

zenten
Posts: 3799
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:42 am UTC
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: Ohio Teen Texts For Help During Burglary

Postby zenten » Mon May 05, 2008 7:19 pm UTC

Torvaun wrote:
zenten wrote:
Torvaun wrote:Is it still vigilante justice if it is defense of your family? Let's say a bunch of guys are assaulting my brother, and I step in, is that vigilante justice too? At this point, all the mom knew was that her daughter was in the house with an unknown number of criminals. It's not vigilante justice to shoot them.


That would require her to keep a shotgun at work, or in her car.

Oh, I agree that it's quite possible for there to be tactical issues with laying hands on a shotgun at a time like that, I was making a statement regarding the moral issues involved. Namely, that I don't think there are any, though I realize others feel differently.


I thought people were bringing up legal issues, which is a whole different kettle of fish.

User avatar
Dusty Chalk
Posts: 142
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 9:00 pm UTC

Re: Ohio Teen Texts For Help During Burglary

Postby Dusty Chalk » Tue May 06, 2008 4:35 am UTC

Delalyra wrote:Okay, credits for using text messaging, epic mom, etc; but the actual text of the message really made me cringe. So I did this.
I saw that page, but I don't think that's the correct text. If you look around, I believe the radio text I quoted is the correct text.
I remain,
:-Peter, aka :-Dusty :-Chalk


Return to “News & Articles”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests