XKCD In the New York Times

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

XKCD In the New York Times

Postby kellsbells » Mon May 26, 2008 4:55 am UTC

XKCD is appreciated by the NYT, it seems.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/26/busin ... technology

I thought it was hilarious to read journalist descriptions of the strips... It's just not quite the same as seeing them for yourself.
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

AlwaysRelated

Re: XKCD In the New York Times

Postby AlwaysRelated » Mon May 26, 2008 5:05 am UTC

That's pretty cool, although they made it sound like they were writing to a "non-geeky" crowd about "geeks". Patronizing, no :( But fairly interesting.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Mon May 26, 2008 6:20 am UTC

We didn't all order sandwiches.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Luthen

Postby Luthen » Mon May 26, 2008 8:47 am UTC

You were busy protecting yourself from raptors.
My fancy new blog Image I am not a vampire! Image PM my location for a prize!*

rnew: ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOAVATAR!
*Terms + conditions changeable

Apolsis

Postby Apolsis » Mon May 26, 2008 9:16 am UTC

It's always cute to see journalists talking about the Internet, if only because they're always tragically two years behind the times.

Since I read Fark regularly, I'm constantly reminded of Ric Romero, a reporter in Los Angeles infamous on the Internet for his news about the obvious, such as this gem about this newfangled blogging, or this surprisingly accurate article on RickRolling. (Note that the link is a foxnews.com URL, and not youtube.com.)
"Indeed, in may respects, she was quite English, and was an excellent example of the fact that we have really everything in common with America nowadays, except, of course, language."
-Oscar Wilde, "The Canterville Ghost"

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Mon May 26, 2008 1:02 pm UTC

I believe Belial's name is Jordan. Yes? No?
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Mon May 26, 2008 2:18 pm UTC

Hey Mr. NYT-man, we're not all programmers here! :)
Although I do generally like these articles where someone from the outside looks in on the goings-on on the Internet, and tries to rationalise and analyse that which can be neither rationalised nor analysed. Reminds me of intermittent cases where BBC Tech News would report on strange goings on in WoW, such as Hakkar's Corrupted Blood or a Gay-friendly guild's legal triumph; sorta entertaining for those who get all the references while others sit and stare blankly while slagging it off.

Pathway
Leon Sumbitches...?

Postby Pathway » Mon May 26, 2008 3:19 pm UTC

It's kind of cute: they're pretending to understand!
SargeZT wrote:Oh dear no, I love penguins. They're my favorite animal ever besides cows.

The reason I would kill penguins would be, no one ever, ever fucking kills penguins.

Wanderingcowboy

Postby Wanderingcowboy » Mon May 26, 2008 6:11 pm UTC

"FOR a certain subset of Internet users, “Sudo make me a sandwich” may as well be “Take my wife ... please.” "
...It's just... amazing how spot on these journalists can be. He peeled away all the complex layers that make-up xkcd and its readership, and found it's inner-juicy core.

Edit: @ Apolsis, reading that blogging article was like... reading some paper a 4th grader wrote on something. How the hell does ABC allow writing of that quality?

"Even celebrities, like Barbra Streisand, have blogs to communicate with their fans."

...how is that a full paragraph? And he starts out 3 paragraphs with "blogging" or "a blog"!
Randall on a skateboard!?
:mrgreen: <= This is my smiley. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My smiley is my best friend. It is my life. Without me, my smiley is useless. Without my smiley I am useless.

Herman

Postby Herman » Mon May 26, 2008 11:01 pm UTC

Makes ya think. If they're this obviously wrongheaded about something I understand, should I be trusting reporting on stuff I don't understand so well? Because it sounds pretty good, but so would the NYT article to a non-geek.

EDIT: Also, I didn't understand the "Sudo" comic when I first read it, because I don't know Unix. But I got the general idea -- sudo must be a powerful computer command that overrides ordinary behavior. So, contrary to the article, xkcd fans aren't characterized by any specific piece of knowlege, but by a general attitude.

Good publicity for Randall anyway.

abehrens

Postby abehrens » Thu May 29, 2008 7:59 pm UTC

According to the Times, after he saw Donald Knuth in the audience while he was giving a speech,
Randall remarked:
It’s comparable to Bill Gates’s being in the front row. I got to have lunch with him.

And I'm sure Katherine Hepburn was pleased when fans told her they liked her as much as Lindsay Lohan.

But hey, she was great in The Parent Trap .

Claan22

Postby Claan22 » Fri May 30, 2008 1:12 am UTC

Reading news articles in the categories of "Technology", "Science", or in this case "Business" make me laugh or cringe from how they act like they're writing to six-year-olds.

And I really didn't like how the writer explained what happened in a couple of the comics, instead of linking them or something.

But still, it probably means more xkcd readers, which is a plus.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Fri May 30, 2008 2:46 am UTC

Claan22 wrote:Reading news articles in the categories of "Technology", "Science", or in this case "Business" make me laugh or cringe from how they act like they're writing to six-year-olds.
The NYT shoots for a 3rd grade reading level, if I remember correctly.

H.E.L.e.N.
Cheesy-tuna-bacon-pickle?

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Fri May 30, 2008 4:09 am UTC

Vaniver wrote:
Claan22 wrote:Reading news articles in the categories of "Technology", "Science", or in this case "Business" make me laugh or cringe from how they act like they're writing to six-year-olds.
The NYT shoots for a 3rd grade reading level, if I remember correctly.

(Sorry if this is blaring sarcasm that I'm missing, but last I heard it was ninth. Other papers shoot for fifth or sixth. Of course, standards probably have gotten dumber since I last remember hearing those numbers, but not six grade levels dumber.)

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Fri May 30, 2008 4:48 am UTC

helen wrote:(Sorry if this is blaring sarcasm that I'm missing, but last I heard it was ninth. Other papers shoot for fifth or sixth. Of course, standards probably have gotten dumber since I last remember hearing those numbers, but not six grade levels dumber.)
Quick research is turning up numbers from 5 to 11. It wouldn't surprise me if standards (both for their publishing and for the reading level) have changed quite a bit over the time these numbers have been calculated, or if most of them are made up / misremembered.

Threechtwo

Postby Threechtwo » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:58 am UTC

Claan22 wrote:And I really didn't like how the writer explained what happened in a couple of the comics, instead of linking them or something.

The Times has a lot of blogs set up, but that article looks like it was printed in the paper first. Hence, the wording instead of linking or reproducing the comic. (Though they did reproduce the one that they were talking about artistically, but still described it.)

ishikiri

Postby ishikiri » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:16 pm UTC

Threechtwo wrote:
Claan22 wrote:And I really didn't like how the writer explained what happened in a couple of the comics, instead of linking them or something.

The Times has a lot of blogs set up, but that article looks like it was printed in the paper first. Hence, the wording instead of linking or reproducing the comic. (Though they did reproduce the one that they were talking about artistically, but still described it.)

They may not have known if they'd been able to use comic before hand/don't know about the licencing Randall uses (I just can't quite remember the name).
clintonius wrote:The "thwak thwak thwak" in this movie makes me think they cranked up a powerpoint slideshow of angry pictures set to the soundtrack of a furious masturbator.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:01 am UTC

ishikiri wrote:They may not have known if they'd been able to use comic before hand/don't know about the licencing Randall uses (I just can't quite remember the name).
Creative Commons, which should prohibit publication in a for-profit newspaper like the NYT without permission from the license-holder.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:09 am UTC

To be more specific, cc-by-nc-2.5. So yeah, to include them in the NYT, they'd need either explicit permission, or fair use (which they could very well have... I'm not sure on the details).

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Chromer

Postby Chromer » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:57 pm UTC

I honestly thought the ending was delightful

ishikiri

Postby ishikiri » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:18 am UTC

Vaniver wrote:
ishikiri wrote:They may not have known if they'd been able to use comic before hand/don't know about the licencing Randall uses (I just can't quite remember the name).
Creative Commons, which should prohibit publication in a for-profit newspaper like the NYT without permission from the license-holder.

Ah. I had it in my head that Creative commons was pretty much bang the creators name on it somewhere visible and you're free to use it. I forgot about the non-profit use part.

clintonius wrote:The "thwak thwak thwak" in this movie makes me think they cranked up a powerpoint slideshow of angry pictures set to the soundtrack of a furious masturbator.

TheCoelacanth

Postby TheCoelacanth » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:59 am UTC

ishikiri wrote:
Vaniver wrote:

Ah. I had it in my head that Creative commons was pretty much bang the creators name on it somewhere visible and you're free to use it. I forgot about the non-profit use part.

That's one of the Creative Commons licenses, Randall uses a different one.

Return to “News & Articles”