Critical Mass fight in Seattle

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Freakish
Posts: 909
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:47 am UTC
Location: Northern Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: Critical Mass fight in Seattle

Postby Freakish » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:26 am UTC

Jorsh! wrote:In Canada, any unmarked road outside of municipal limits carries an assumed limit of 80 km/h. In a country this size, towns and cities are so far apart in many areas that 80 km/h roads and highway cycling are the only option for getting from point A to point B. The good news, of course, is that most of our highways have nice, wide shoulders.

The greatest barrier to bicycle safety is a lack of education. This was never more apparent to me than when I moved from Prince George, B.C. to southern Alberta. Suddenly, instead of intentionally running me off the road, shouting "get back on the sidewalk!", or—and I'm not making this up—throwing Burger King wrappers and beer bottles at me, people just treated me like I belonged on the road (which, legally, I do). I haven't had so much as a near miss since I came here two years ago, and I bike 15 km or more every day. People here realize that cyclists have the right to the road (not to mention the legal obligation to use it instead of the sidewalk), and simply deal with it. As long as you follow both national and local rules, there is no reason at all to butt heads with motorists.

Unfortunately, there are places where drivers and cyclists refuse to live together. These are the places things like Critical Mass happen, and where there is activism there is confrontation. And that's too bad.


Did you just say that you ride your bike on an 80km/h road?
Freakish Inc. We completely understand the public’s concern about futuristic robots feeding on the human population

User avatar
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance
Posts: 30450
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:04 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Critical Mass fight in Seattle

Postby Belial » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:22 pm UTC

Adalwolf: Check your tone or stop posting. You're aware you're out of line.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.


They/them

User avatar
Rusty Piton
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:57 pm UTC

Re: Critical Mass fight in Seattle

Postby Rusty Piton » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:13 pm UTC

Adalwolf wrote:
Rusty Piton wrote:
Adalwolf wrote:In the suburbs it would be next to impossible to bike to run errands. Going to the bank, the grocery store, etc. There simply isn't enough room on a bike, even with a basket, lol, to bring the food back home- and what if you've got milk? It would spoil before you got home, especially in the summer.

And no, I don't commute to work. I work in the suburbs. And yes you can justify a commute even if you are the only one- you've got the money to support the lifestyle, no one from your work lives near you, you have odd hours, etc. Lots of things.

If you live in a city and feel comfortable riding a bike, fine. It just wouldn't work for everything in the suburbs.


Are you like fifteen years old?
I only ask because everything you've spouted in this thread has been incredibly arrogent, immature, and short-sighted.
Biking is a viable form or transport no matter where you live if you're just willing to put in a litle effort.
And as for not being able to carry stuff on a bike, I present to you the xtracycle

Do us all a favor and keep your narrow-minded ass the fuck out of the city.
People like you will be the first to die in the coming apocalypse, made soft and weak from your sedentary, auto-centric lifestyle.


Lmfao...soft and weak my ass. It'll be you fucking city dwellers who die first. And why don't you stay in your shit hole cities and keep the fuck out of the suburbs and the country, kay?

And that bike looks fucking retarded. I think I'd rather just buy a horse and wagon than one of those stupid things.

I don't think those are going to cut the bill.

Again, I'll ride a horse before that piece of shit.


I can't believe you have an Edward Abbey quote as your sig and you're defending driving everywhere and criticizing my viable, clean and utilitarian alternitive to driving all the time. What a joke you are.
But I can't really complain, people like you are what make the internet fun and interesting.
Last edited by Rusty Piton on Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:47 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Decker
Posts: 2071
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:22 pm UTC
Location: Western N.Y.

Re: Critical Mass fight in Seattle

Postby Decker » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:41 pm UTC

Adalwolf wrote:
Rusty Piton wrote:
Adalwolf wrote:In the suburbs it would be next to impossible to bike to run errands. Going to the bank, the grocery store, etc. There simply isn't enough room on a bike, even with a basket, lol, to bring the food back home- and what if you've got milk? It would spoil before you got home, especially in the summer.

And no, I don't commute to work. I work in the suburbs. And yes you can justify a commute even if you are the only one- you've got the money to support the lifestyle, no one from your work lives near you, you have odd hours, etc. Lots of things.

If you live in a city and feel comfortable riding a bike, fine. It just wouldn't work for everything in the suburbs.


Are you like fifteen years old?
I only ask because everything you've spouted in this thread has been incredibly arrogent, immature, and short-sighted.
Biking is a viable form or transport no matter where you live if you're just willing to put in a litle effort.
And as for not being able to carry stuff on a bike, I present to you the xtracycle

Do us all a favor and keep your narrow-minded ass the fuck out of the city.
People like you will be the first to die in the coming apocalypse, made soft and weak from your sedentary, auto-centric lifestyle.


Lmfao...soft and weak my ass. It'll be you fucking city dwellers who die first. And why don't you stay in your shit hole cities and keep the fuck out of the suburbs and the country, kay?

As some who's seen inner cities, and especially POOR inner cities, I conclude you're either just trolling or have absolutely no idea what you're talking about when you talk about city people being "soft."

Edit to include disclaimer: Decker avoids the inner city whenever possible.

Also, while that bike is neat, Is there a good way to keep say, bags an groceries on there? I don't see hooks and straps wouldn't really cut it for me.

Edit: Also, does that have two wheels and just a really long body? Or is there another wheel there?
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

User avatar
william
Not a Raptor. Honest.
Posts: 2418
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:02 pm UTC
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Contact:

Re: Critical Mass fight in Seattle

Postby william » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:59 pm UTC

Looking at its website, it has only two wheels.

Which means I won't be able to use it. I can't ride bikes without training wheels. (And I'm way too big to ride a bike that has one, because they don't put training wheels on bikes designed for people above the age of 10.)

Of course, for the next four years, I'll be at UNC, where they discourage bikes because the number one crime there is bike larceny. (And because walking isn't too painful and they have a really good bus system.)
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Critical Mass fight in Seattle

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:15 pm UTC

The rules for moving through traffic should be to provide as minimal inhibition to moving parties as reasonably possible. I have no problem with jaywalkers working through gaps in traffic, or bikers finding a hole and filling it, so long as they aren't expecting a car to drastically change direction/speed. Conversely, comon, we're all on a road here, if a car/bike/human is flirting in front of you, don't speed up, don't panic, don't throw shit at them.

I can't really even justify Adalwolf's comment with a retort, other then to say the suburbs, in the eyes of a city dweller, are a laughable enclave of sheltered decadence created by the odd whims of an era TWO generations removed from modern thinking, and are actually showing a decline, as people move to cities to escape the... I dunno, lack of anything to do out there? Elitism?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance
Posts: 30450
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:04 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Critical Mass fight in Seattle

Postby Belial » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:17 pm UTC

Nevermind that suburbs and constant car-travel are a result of sprawl, and sprawl is bloody terrible for the environment that he purports to love.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.


They/them

User avatar
william
Not a Raptor. Honest.
Posts: 2418
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:02 pm UTC
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Contact:

Re: Critical Mass fight in Seattle

Postby william » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:26 pm UTC

Belial wrote:Nevermind that suburbs and constant car-travel are a result of sprawl, and sprawl is bloody terrible for the environment that he purports to love.

I suspect he just doesn't like people.
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

User avatar
Decker
Posts: 2071
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:22 pm UTC
Location: Western N.Y.

Re: Critical Mass fight in Seattle

Postby Decker » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:26 pm UTC

I come from the second poorest city in the country (from what I read recently), and all I'm saying is that if you go to one of the bad areas of the city and say "You're soft." and "You'll be the ones to die first." You'll either have to be be very, very lucky or very, very fast to walk out of there again.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

User avatar
Rusty Piton
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:57 pm UTC

Re: Critical Mass fight in Seattle

Postby Rusty Piton » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:37 pm UTC

To the fellow who can't ride a two wheeler:
Image
It's cheap and badass
There's a bike out there for everyone!

To discourage people from riding because the city has a problem with bike theft is ludicrous. That's like saying that since the murder rate is on the rise, people should just start dying of natural causes earlier and more often. What a copout on the part of the city's law enforcement: "Well, we don't feel like dealing with all these bike thieves, lets just stop people from riding bikes. They're dangerous kid's toys anyway."
What a laughable failure.
Last edited by Rusty Piton on Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:41 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Critical Mass fight in Seattle

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:39 pm UTC

Note the front shocks. Once again affirming that toddlers are infinitely cooler then I am.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
Rusty Piton
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:57 pm UTC

Re: Critical Mass fight in Seattle

Postby Rusty Piton » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:42 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Note the front shocks. Once again affirming that toddlers are infinitely cooler then I am.

That thing's for adults, dude!

User avatar
Rusty Piton
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:57 pm UTC

Re: Critical Mass fight in Seattle

Postby Rusty Piton » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:43 pm UTC

I saw this guy the other day!
Image
And was just in awe. What a fucking badass!

User avatar
Rusty Piton
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:57 pm UTC

Re: Critical Mass fight in Seattle

Postby Rusty Piton » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:46 pm UTC

Also, these guys:
Image
are all over chicago and are really really cool.(no pun intended)

User avatar
william
Not a Raptor. Honest.
Posts: 2418
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:02 pm UTC
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Contact:

Re: Critical Mass fight in Seattle

Postby william » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:47 pm UTC

Rusty Piton wrote:To discourage people from riding because the city has a problem with bike theft is ludicrous. That's like saying that since the murder rate is on the rise, people should just start dying of natural causes earlier and more often. What a copout on the part of the city's law enforcement: "Well, we don't feel like dealing with all these bike thieves, lets just stop people from riding bikes. They're dangerous kid's toys anyway."
What a laughable failure.

They aren't stopping them. They're saying "Try to go without for a while and you probably won't need it on the UNC campus anyways."

What's your suggestion? A cop at every bike rack?
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

User avatar
Rusty Piton
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:57 pm UTC

Re: Critical Mass fight in Seattle

Postby Rusty Piton » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:49 pm UTC

"The air and water are really dirty, just try and go without for a little while. If we all ignore the problem, maybe it'll go away."

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Critical Mass fight in Seattle

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:00 pm UTC

So instead of biking your way around a campus, you have to pay for public transit?

What next, no jogging outside, you've gotta pay to sit on a treadmill?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
Jorsh!
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:30 am UTC
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: Critical Mass fight in Seattle

Postby Jorsh! » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:46 pm UTC

Freakish wrote:Did you just say that you ride your bike on an 80km/h road?


Yes, and on highways. Since 80 km/h roads are the norm in rural areas, my options are somewhat limited. It doesn't matter, though; I don't cause problems for drivers, and they don't cause problems for me. It may involve some give and take, but we all get where we're going safely.

I do avoid roads I consider to be unsafe for cyclists and motorists to share, but these roads are few and far between in every city in which I've lived. I take full responsibility for my own safety, so even if I did encounter a bad driver, I would hopefully be ready to keep us both out of trouble.
Eggnog stick!

User avatar
Freakish
Posts: 909
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:47 am UTC
Location: Northern Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: Critical Mass fight in Seattle

Postby Freakish » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:29 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:So instead of biking your way around a campus, you have to pay for public transit?

What next, no jogging outside, you've gotta pay to sit on a treadmill?


Cheaper then spending $200 on a new bike when yours is stolen.
Freakish Inc. We completely understand the public’s concern about futuristic robots feeding on the human population

Princess Marzipan
Posts: 7717
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 5:28 am UTC
Location: neither a road, nor an island

Re: Critical Mass fight in Seattle

Postby Princess Marzipan » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:50 am UTC

Freakish wrote:
Izawwlgood wrote:So instead of biking your way around a campus, you have to pay for public transit?

What next, no jogging outside, you've gotta pay to sit on a treadmill?


Cheaper then spending $200 on a new bike when yours is stolen.


Depends on how often your bike is stolen. And if you don't expect to keep it, you can probably average around $150 per bike.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

darren
Posts: 188
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:37 pm UTC

Re: Critical Mass fight in Seattle

Postby darren » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:19 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:So instead of biking your way around a campus, you have to pay for public transit?

At berkeley, all students were forced to pay for public transit pass every semester.

User avatar
Rusty Piton
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:57 pm UTC

Re: Critical Mass fight in Seattle

Postby Rusty Piton » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:27 pm UTC

darren wrote:
Izawwlgood wrote:So instead of biking your way around a campus, you have to pay for public transit?

At berkeley, all students were forced to pay for public transit pass every semester.

At colombia college in chicago I had the same problem.
We were forced to pay $75 a simester for a CTA pass.

User avatar
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick
Posts: 8933
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:33 pm UTC
Location: One of those hot places

Re: Critical Mass fight in Seattle

Postby Bakemaster » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:05 am UTC

Jahoclave wrote:As for this incident, both sides are pretty much guilty.

One of a traffic violation and the other of attempted vehicular homicide. Clearly, we can't be pointing fingers here. The gallows with the lot of them!
Image
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

darren
Posts: 188
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:37 pm UTC

Re: Critical Mass fight in Seattle

Postby darren » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:41 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:
Jahoclave wrote:As for this incident, both sides are pretty much guilty.

One of a traffic violation and the other of attempted vehicular homicide. Clearly, we can't be pointing fingers here. The gallows with the lot of them!

A mob surrounding your car and threatening you is a "traffic violation"? So if a gang of men corner a young girl in an alley and threaten to rape and kill her, that'd be... what? trespassing? loitering?

Princess Marzipan
Posts: 7717
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 5:28 am UTC
Location: neither a road, nor an island

Re: Critical Mass fight in Seattle

Postby Princess Marzipan » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:34 am UTC

darren wrote:
Bakemaster wrote:
Jahoclave wrote:As for this incident, both sides are pretty much guilty.

One of a traffic violation and the other of attempted vehicular homicide. Clearly, we can't be pointing fingers here. The gallows with the lot of them!

A mob surrounding your car and threatening you is a "traffic violation"? So if a gang of men corner a young girl in an alley and threaten to rape and kill her, that'd be... what? trespassing? loitering?


An actual rape would be a breaking and entering.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

User avatar
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick
Posts: 8933
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:33 pm UTC
Location: One of those hot places

Re: Critical Mass fight in Seattle

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:04 am UTC

darren wrote:A mob surrounding your car and threatening you is a "traffic violation"? So if a gang of men corner a young girl in an alley and threaten to rape and kill her, that'd be... what? trespassing? loitering?

The traffic violation is stopping the car initially. The mob surrounding and disabling the car of a homicidal maniac is self defense. But hey, thanks for jumping straight to rape! Your line of argument totally doesn't make you look like a moron. At all.
Image
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

darren
Posts: 188
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:37 pm UTC

Re: Critical Mass fight in Seattle

Postby darren » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:53 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:
darren wrote:A mob surrounding your car and threatening you is a "traffic violation"? So if a gang of men corner a young girl in an alley and threaten to rape and kill her, that'd be... what? trespassing? loitering?

The mob surrounding and disabling the car of a homicidal maniac is self defense.

(they didn't disable the car they assault the driver).

Then a mob lynching a black man because he allegedly raped a white woman is self defense as well. I can keep coming up with these. (In case you miss my point (again) and think I'm condoning lynching black people, I'm saying that both are mob justice, and they have no place in the civilized world.)

And don't think I'm going to believe that critical mass-ers are just tree hugging pacifists; I've been caught up in a few CM's in San Francisco and they're anything but (I've narrowly hit a few myself trying to get away... but hey, that's a traffic violation). Their aggressiveness, sense of lawlessness and mob mentality are all build-ups to violence and crime. http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/five_stages.html

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Critical Mass fight in Seattle

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:00 pm UTC

I'm under the impression now that SF, Seattle, and every city but NY and Chicago, have pretty crappy Critical Mass populations.

Just to point out though, these happen ONCE a month. If you really object to being slowed from your commute ONCE a month, maybe you ought to reevaluate your busy life? But I think that's sort of the point of Critical Mass. If this guy had just sat in his car calmly for the 30 minutes or so it takes to go by, he would have missed his reservation and not run over some bikers and had his car smashed and gotten bonked and been such a prick.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Princess Marzipan
Posts: 7717
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 5:28 am UTC
Location: neither a road, nor an island

Re: Critical Mass fight in Seattle

Postby Princess Marzipan » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:43 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I'm under the impression now that SF, Seattle, and every city but NY and Chicago, have pretty crappy Critical Mass populations.

Just to point out though, these happen ONCE a month. If you really object to being slowed from your commute ONCE a month, maybe you ought to reevaluate your busy life? But I think that's sort of the point of Critical Mass. If this guy had just sat in his car calmly for the 30 minutes or so it takes to go by, he would have missed his reservation and not run over some bikers and had his car smashed and gotten bonked and been such a prick.


Enh. I was with people last night and someone mentioned a beach party to watch a meteor shower, but getting there is going to be affected by Critical Mass. So it's not JUST commutes, it's other stuff, too. I'm all for a bunch of bikes hitting the streets, but when it gets to where they are actually holding up traffic and doing things that lead to altercations (and some of them tend not to do their best to defuse those situations once they arise) it's kind of a problem for everyone.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Critical Mass fight in Seattle

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:45 pm UTC

Critical Mass occurs the last friday of every month. The point of it IS to hold up traffic, to stop it all together. It's just never been much of a 'problem' where i've seen it.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick
Posts: 8933
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:33 pm UTC
Location: One of those hot places

Re: Critical Mass fight in Seattle

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:24 pm UTC

darren wrote:
Bakemaster wrote:The mob surrounding and disabling the car of a homicidal maniac is self defense.

(they didn't disable the car they assault the driver).

Did you actually read the articles? They slashed his tires and broke his windows as he was driving away with a bicyclist on his roof. Yes, someone apparantly struck him after the fact, but the majority of the cyclists were simply trying to stop the car. They were in a position of vulnerability and their response was basically to restrain him; he was in a position of power and his response was basically to run them over and drive away.

Here's a more recent article with some more information and reactions:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/l ... ss29m.html
Image
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Critical Mass fight in Seattle

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:39 pm UTC

A good point is made that while the cyclists are being charged with assault, the motorist was the one who hit them with a 3k lb car.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Princess Marzipan
Posts: 7717
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 5:28 am UTC
Location: neither a road, nor an island

Re: Critical Mass fight in Seattle

Postby Princess Marzipan » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:43 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:A good point is made that while the cyclists are being charged with assault, the motorist was the one who hit them with a 3k lb car.


I am less inclined to want to blame the motorist if the cyclists hit were directly in front of the car and preventing the driver from getting away from the undeniably intimidating atmosphere of a ton of cyclists surrounding your car.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Critical Mass fight in Seattle

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:39 pm UTC

What if this parade was called Senior Walk, and instead of 2000 cyclists, it was 2000 senior citizens on walkers, and they were surrounding his car and waving canes? (I apologize for this next image)
If the man accelerated through a crowd of senior citizens, would we still find him blameless? What about a "People in Wheelchairs!" parade?

There's a pretty wide hatred of bikers, as evident in this thread. Motorists are more often then not the aggressors, and in this case, the evidence that this guy was merely impatient and started some shit seems to somehow make the cyclists the perpetrators. Yes, he was delayed in getting to dinner. No, that does not merit slamming the accelerator on your car and driving out into crowded bike traffic. If he had just sat down and shutup for 30 minutes, this would have been avoided.

Jesus christ, he RAN OVER a cyclist after hitting MORE THEN ONE! How is that point POSSIBLY being ignored?! Oh right, because cyclists were blocking a motorist.
/sarcasm
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Random832
Posts: 2525
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:38 pm UTC

Re: Critical Mass fight in Seattle

Postby Random832 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:02 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:What if this parade


Not a parade. Parades have permits and preannounced routes. That's the difference between a parade and a mob.

User avatar
Jorsh!
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:30 am UTC
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: Critical Mass fight in Seattle

Postby Jorsh! » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:37 am UTC

Random832 wrote:Not a parade. Parades have permits and preannounced routes. That's the difference between a parade and a mob.

Then substitute "mob" for every instance of "parade". Would it still be OK for the driver to plow forward if it was a crowd of seniors or people in wheelchairs?
Eggnog stick!

User avatar
Freakish
Posts: 909
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:47 am UTC
Location: Northern Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: Critical Mass fight in Seattle

Postby Freakish » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:55 am UTC

30 minutes is not acceptable. People have places to go. Do you honestly think that no one has anything important to do? Maybe they have to pick up there kid, go to the airport, take a fucking piss. It really doesn't matter, the fact that the guy ran them over is a separate issue. What about the all of the other drivers that didn't run them over? Did they deserve to be delayed for 30 MINUTES! You wouldn't find that just a little annoying?

With these pricks around no wonder people hate cyclists.
Freakish Inc. We completely understand the public’s concern about futuristic robots feeding on the human population

User avatar
PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature
Posts: 4576
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:37 pm UTC
Location: Sacramento, CA
Contact:

Re: Critical Mass fight in Seattle

Postby PictureSarah » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:12 am UTC

Yeah, I would find it a little annoying. I would not be (and don't see myself *ever* being) annoyed enough to plough through a group of people with my car. Being annoyed does not justify attempted vehicular homicide.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

User avatar
Freakish
Posts: 909
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:47 am UTC
Location: Northern Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: Critical Mass fight in Seattle

Postby Freakish » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:26 am UTC

PictureSarah wrote:Yeah, I would find it a little annoying. I would not be (and don't see myself *ever* being) annoyed enough to plough through a group of people with my car. Being annoyed does not justify attempted vehicular homicide.


I glad someone did it... Really... Because when you're sitting there in your car, what can you really do? Go around? Can't. Leave your car? Probably not a very good idea. Honk? They're not going to move. You're left with drive over them, or sit there.

I'd probably hit someone. Let atleast one person go home with regrets. I'm not usually a violent person, but cornered with no other options. I have no intentions of taking it like a bitch.


Actually... If I had one, a stink bomb might be a better option.
Freakish Inc. We completely understand the public’s concern about futuristic robots feeding on the human population

User avatar
Hans
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon May 12, 2008 3:11 am UTC
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Critical Mass fight in Seattle

Postby Hans » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:50 am UTC

Freakish wrote:I'd probably hit someone. Let atleast one person go home with regrets. I'm not usually a violent person, but cornered with no other options. I have no intentions of taking it like a bitch.


Maybe we have a misunderstanding; they are only blocking you as long as they are riding in front of your car. It seems like if you did nothing, they would be gone in 30 seconds. If you were really dismayed and upset at this 30 second (or maybe a minute) delay, you could call the police.

If deliberately and unapologetically cuts in front of you in the supermarket queue, do you smack him/her around as well? I would think that would be an overreaction.
Don't look or you'll collapse my wave function!


Return to “News & Articles”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests