Gamestop Employee Blows Whistle

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Gamestop Employee Blows Whistle

Postby Babam » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:57 am UTC

A Gamestop employee has put toghether a 9 part series that is errily like Zero Punctuation pointing out why you the customer and Employee should hate gamestop for their evil sins.
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Whi ... IFDx-6WQo=
Spoiler:
crucialityfactor wrote:I KNEW he could club bitches!

SecondTalon wrote:Reality - More fucked up than Photoshop.

s/notwittysig/wittysig

Princess Marzipan

Re: Gamestop Employee Blows Whistle

Postby Princess Marzipan » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:47 am UTC

Hm. I just watched ALL of that. And none of it was information I didn't already know. ...wait, no. That bullshit paycard system was new info.

If this news seems like it might be surprising, I highly suggest watching the videos and promptly never shopping at GameStop again. And tell your friends.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

mercurythief

Postby mercurythief » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:59 am UTC

I watched it all, and it was entertaining, but his main arguments were that working at GameStop sucks, and that they try to make as much profit as possible. Not really enough to make me boycott them. . .

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:13 am UTC

A major portion of it was why you shouldn't want to work for GameStop; education about the job itself.

Another major portion was chock-full reasons why you don't need to go there. New game coming out that you want? Any other store will have it. Want to save money on games? Here's how to save EVEN MORE. Want to get something FOR you games? Here are better ways to do it. Want to just beat your game and never see it again? Plenty of rental options.

The store does not need to exist - anybody who appreciates gaming can show their love of it by sidestepping this hulking middleman behemoth.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"

Wolf

Postby Wolf » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:33 am UTC

I just wanted to say thanks for posting that video.

While I knew some parts of it, I hadn't really realized the extent of certain problems, mainly the used game prices. I mean, I knew they were bad, but when they were that bad compared to another retailer (and not just someone selling them on Craiglist/Amazon/Ebay/Etc), it was pretty eye opening.
There's a method to my madness. Somewhere. Don't worry, I'll find it!

I'm learning game design! Watch my progress here: http://www.humming-rain.com

My friend wrote:You played fast and loose with punctuation and suffered the consequences.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:51 am UTC

Yeah, I've gone to GameStop recently for FFIV DS, The World Ends With You, and Smash Bros Brawl. Before that, I had just stopped in at one and decided to pick up Super Paper Mario and found a used copy of Rez for PS2, which was $40. The guy ringing me out was the manager, and kept telling me I could save five bucks on a used copy. I told him "Yeah, but I LIKE having NEW games. That's worth FIVE whole dollars." Then he said "Well you're getting this used," gesturing to Rez. I told him I would buy it new if he had a copy lying around.

I searched on EBay and spent about twenty bucks more for a copy in just as good condition but with the original "trance vibrator" accessory, and returned the copy of
Rez. eff that shiz.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:56 pm UTC

Why shouldn't EB exist? It's a specialty shop like any other in different industries. Yeah, at release you can usually find new games elsewhere, but not always, and older, more obscure titles are often difficult to find. I was at Target last night and their entire PS3 section was maybe 15 total games. Finding used games can be done other ways, and while I rarely shop at EB in general, it has a niche and is good at exploiting it. Unfortunately, independent game shops are few and far between, but they simply don't have the competitive advantage of a large chain.

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:33 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:Why shouldn't EB exist? It's a specialty shop like any other in different industries. Yeah, at release you can usually find new games elsewhere, but not always, and older, more obscure titles are often difficult to find. I was at Target last night and their entire PS3 section was maybe 15 total games. Finding used games can be done other ways, and while I rarely shop at EB in general, it has a niche and is good at exploiting it. Unfortunately, independent game shops are few and far between, but they simply don't have the competitive advantage of a large chain.

Three things. First, this is about Game Stop. Are EB and Game Stop the same now? I may have missed a buyout or something. Second, since when does EB get exclusive games? Third, the competitive advantage that a large company is supposed to have is that they can offer lower prices than the smaller specialty shops. According to the video, that's the exact opposite of what's happening here.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:58 pm UTC

GameStop bought out EB and now all EBs are GameStops. If you see an EB, the visual change just hasn't occurred.

Freakish

Postby Freakish » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:23 pm UTC

I'd still love to get a job at the EB Games in my city. Then again my other choices are fast food places. My dream (part-time) job would be working at FutureShop, but that's unlikely to happen.
Freakish Inc. We completely understand the public’s concern about futuristic robots feeding on the human population

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:52 pm UTC

22/7 wrote:
Endless Mike wrote:Why shouldn't EB exist? It's a specialty shop like any other in different industries. Yeah, at release you can usually find new games elsewhere, but not always, and older, more obscure titles are often difficult to find. I was at Target last night and their entire PS3 section was maybe 15 total games. Finding used games can be done other ways, and while I rarely shop at EB in general, it has a niche and is good at exploiting it. Unfortunately, independent game shops are few and far between, but they simply don't have the competitive advantage of a large chain.

Three things. First, this is about Game Stop. Are EB and Game Stop the same now? I may have missed a buyout or something. Second, since when does EB get exclusive games? Third, the competitive advantage that a large company is supposed to have is that they can offer lower prices than the smaller specialty shops. According to the video, that's the exact opposite of what's happening here.

Yes, there was a buyout. They're the same and I just use EB because I grew up with more EBs around that GameStops. The full corporate change has occurred and other than some signs in places, they're the same company. EB/GS has gotten exclusive games in the past. Chulip is the only one I can think of off the top of my head, but that wasn't my point anyway. My point was more that Big Box Store is less likely to carry a game that will sell one or two copies per store than a specialty shop. Even a large electronics retailer is less likely to carry those sorts of games since they just take up space. They may get a couple copies, but when they're gone, they're gone.

EB/GS presumably get higher discounts than a small independent store, but there's really little advantage to them selling them for less when everyone outside wholesale stores sell a game for the same price (Amazon seems to be the sole exception to this but not across the board), and they certainly have more mindshare than the small places. I admittedly haven't watched the videos because I've talked to and read the comments of plenty of former and current employees, and they all say very similar things. Being a virtual monopoly, their advantage is that they can set their prices as they wish. And seeing (and hearing) how many people buy, sell, and trade their games their, I doubt they'll change anything anyway.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:40 am UTC

The main reason not to shop at GameStop is that it's obsolete. I just ordered two top-selling games online at Amazon for less than $10 apiece including shipping, and they arrived in three days. Good luck finding the special edition of Devil May Cry 3 at GameStop for $6. Their trades are a joke and the corporate model is too.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:02 am UTC

Nougatrocity wrote:GameStop bought out EB and now all EBs are GameStops. If you see an EB, the visual change just hasn't occurred.

I could have sworn the Halo 3 release had them relabeling all the EBs into GameStops for the extra name recognition, but perhaps I'm wrong.

As for the whole Zero Originality thing, the only problem I have with GameStop is that they don't stock enough Windows games. I've yet to have a problem with a used game from them (and I'd rather take my chances at a used game from a physical place I can go to than a mystery digital person who can easily "disappear"). And I don't trade my games in, besides the fact that nobody lets you return a PC game, I almost always come back to one *eventually*.

EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator

Postby EsotericWombat » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:25 pm UTC

That anyone still goes to those fucking upscale pawn shops anymore confuses me to no end.

InstinctSage

Postby InstinctSage » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:42 am UTC

They're all still called EB Games in Australia. I don't think we ever had Gamestop down here, so it most likely doesn't make sense to rename the stores when they have that magical brand recognition thing going on.
nightlina wrote:We get stick insects here.. they're pretty cool and stick-like.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:12 am UTC

InstinctSage wrote:They're all still called EB Games in Australia. I don't think we ever had Gamestop down here, so it most likely doesn't make sense to rename the stores when they have that magical brand recognition thing going on.

Although I remember a time when they were still "Electronics Boutique".
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:58 pm UTC

Still EB in Canada.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:47 pm UTC

That anyone still goes to those fucking upscale pawn shops anymore confuses me to no end.
Gamestop is not there for core gamers. Gamestop exists for parents to ask for a game they heard their kid wants, and get handed the game right away, and then give it to their kids.

Also, you don't have to like every part of Gamestop to take advantage of its existance. I just go there to buy games new if I want a box and I don't feel like waiting a few days for shipping. If I don't like it, I go on Ebay to sell it. Its not amazing, I won't buy ALL of my games there, but the existance of Gamestop is better than no existance of anything.

I realize that everyone wants to alert everyone to not use Gamestop's second-hand-market.. but on these forums you're mostly preaching to the choir. Having that store in malls gets casual gamers interested in what the gaming industry has to offer.

I think the real issue is getting these non-cyber folks more exposed to online distributors/communities like Amazon and eBay, and efficient+cheap digital distributors like Steam and Impulse.

edit:i edit alot

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:09 pm UTC

Jebobek wrote:Its not amazing, I won't buy ALL of my games there, but the existance of Gamestop is better than no existance of anything.
...and drinking one's own urine is better than drinking nothing at all, but I'd still rather drink the water that is available to me. In other words, so?

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:05 pm UTC

Um what?

I'm just saying that to have a video game store that actually exists somewhere I can drive to, or for people to walk past and see in a shopping mall, is better than no physical store at all.

And I think the problem is that people don't know that the water exists, while we all do. So for those people at least they know that piss exists. Basically your analogy is just.. just great.

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:04 pm UTC

The point is that you're making it an all or nothing scenario, saying that it's better to have a shitty chain of gamestores than no gamestores at all. That is, however, not the case. There are other brick and mortar game shops out there, as well as places like Best Buy, Target, Walmart, etc. who sell games, though not exclusively. The situation does not break down to "Gamestops continue to exist or you can only buy games online".

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:52 am UTC

Right, you forgot FYE as well (if you have those in your area). Thats an actual example of another brick+mortar shop in a mall/outlet.

Meh, Im still a fan of reserving game boxes and picking them up on release day to play at home with friends. You can easily avoid the "shitty" by making sure there aren't any cheaper purchases online (usually not for console games), and by avoiding their second-hand market like the plague. By the way can you reserve games in other brick-and-mortars? I'm curious because I might switch places.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:06 am UTC

Best Buy has reserves, I think. Maybe not for all titles, though.

Any game popular enough to require a reservation WILL be available at any Best Buy / Target / Sears / FYE / whatever on release day as well.

Slightly less popular games may require some phonecalls to stores in your area to see who may stock it, but that's in my opinion well worth it to start sending the message to Gamestop that we as consumers are NOT well-served by their current policies, and can get better service elsewhere.

hagger

Postby hagger » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:11 am UTC

Well, I presume it said something interesting. However, the video's been taken down now. I'll try searching for it on other video sites maybe.

EDIT: apparently, a number of them have been taken down, but not all :?:, but the full version is available for download at Megaupload. http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HK0IQL3M

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:47 am UTC

Nougatrocity wrote:Best Buy has reserves, I think. Maybe not for all titles, though.

You can order online, or pre-order for 5 USD. When you order online, you have the option of paying the (much reduced) online price, then picking it up at the closest store. If they already have the game in stock, you get your game in the same amount of time, and potentially save $20.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:25 pm UTC

Ah that sucks to be me then, because its a 1hr drive over the innerstate to the closest Best Buy, while gamestop is 15 mins away in a mall/walmart/lowes where I can do other shopping as well. So even with that discount and reserve, with the fabulous gas prices I'm in the hole two hours and quite a bit in gas money. Note to self: whenever I move I need to be near a Best Buy.

Honestly I'd switch over to FYE in my mall if it wasn't for the fact that they have about the same prices and pester me to buy magazine subscriptions and cards.

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:01 pm UTC

Jebobek wrote:Ah that sucks to be me then, because its a 1hr drive over the innerstate to the closest Best Buy, while gamestop is 15 mins away in a mall/walmart/lowes where I can do other shopping as well. So even with that discount and reserve, with the fabulous gas prices I'm in the hole two hours and quite a bit in gas money. Note to self: whenever I move I need to be near a Best Buy.

If you get a very fuel efficient car and gas prices do not go above $4/gallon, you could break even!

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:23 pm UTC

I was thinking of getting the 2008/9 pontiac G6 GT but I might have to go prius to screw Gamestop over!

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:52 pm UTC

Jebobek wrote:I was thinking of getting the 2008/9 pontiac G6 GT but I might have to go prius to screw Gamestop over!
Dude, get the GTO. You know you want to.

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:17 pm UTC

Jebobek wrote:Honestly I'd switch over to FYE in my mall if it wasn't for the fact that they have about the same prices and pester me to buy magazine subscriptions and cards.

FYE is to entertainment as a whole what Gamestop is to games.

If you have the option, I'd say toss your money to FYE if you're still going to get the games you want.

Nyarlathotep
Not a god. Not even a titan.

Postby Nyarlathotep » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:08 pm UTC

My solution is to buy either from my very small and local game store, Play N Trade (FANTASTIC people, really), or to purchase stuff from, y'know, Target or other hueg chain stores. No, hueg chain stores aren't any better than Gamestop, but what are you gonna do?

Seriously though, if you do have a small game store in your town not affiliated with Gamestop, support them. They're generally friendlier, give better prices, and treat their employees better, and they need the customers.
'Gehȳrst þū, sǣlida, hwæt þis folc segeð?
hī willað ēow tō gafole gāras syllan,
ǣttrynne ord and ealde swurd,
þā heregeatu þe ēow æt hilde ne dēah.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:07 pm UTC

22/7 wrote:
Jebobek wrote:I was thinking of getting the 2008/9 pontiac G6 GT but I might have to go prius to screw Gamestop over!

G6 GT != GTO

Not even close other than marquee. A G8 GT is similar, though.

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:14 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:
22/7 wrote:

G6 GT != GTO

Not even close other than marquee. A G8 GT is similar, though.
...which is why I was trying to push him to get a Pontiac GTO as opposed to the G6.

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:58 pm UTC

Haha I'd go higher up there If the whole point of me in this thread wasn't saving a little money :P As of now, gimmeh the G6 with her 30mpg on highway.

Well if it were GTO vs. G8 I'd probably just go get a G8 while we're still looking at that "employee discount" sale.

Speaking of the thread, I went back and looked at some of the other videos he made. I kinda feel sad now because I feel bad for those that work there and get harassed.

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:06 pm UTC

I wasn't recommending the GTO for it's gas mileage...

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:20 pm UTC

Yea I assumed it was for its awesomeness. And yes I do know that I want one.

dasada122

Postby dasada122 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:50 pm UTC

Huh. It appears that this account has been suspended. Did anyone get a mirror going?

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:50 am UTC

The bigger question is: Does anyone actually shop at EB/Gamestop out of preference anymore anyways? To me EB/Gamestop represents a neccessity. There just aren't other places with the priority on new games that they have in the greater vancouver area. The instant that we get a Microplay back again I'll go there forever but as of this writing I am STILL waiting for Amazon or Bestbuy or anyfuckingwhere else to get Blazblue in.

-_- Saying Gamestop is evil and shouldn't be shopped at is more or less universal, but saying it's unnecissary is really only true if you're in the continental US. Even as short a trip away as it is up to Canada can often mean being out of the loop otherwise. My best wishes go out to you poor souls in australia.
Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, EVER cut a deal with a dragon.
Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris.

dasada122

Postby dasada122 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:01 am UTC

I am blessed that in Waco there are one and a half good game stores. Not chains. Stores. There are exactly one of them, and one of them will gladly talk with you on a slow day if you are reasonably intelligent, and sweep you out the door if one of those evaluates false.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:33 am UTC

InstinctSage wrote:They're all still called EB Games in Australia. I don't think we ever had Gamestop down here, so it most likely doesn't make sense to rename the stores when they have that magical brand recognition thing going on.

That being said, I honestly don't see any problems with EB Australia... I mean they still probably sell their used a bit too high but that's expected of a retailing store. It's definitely not more than new stuff.

And I know some EB employees and they say that working there is great and while the buisness is of course trying to profit that it isn't evil or anything. They always always have stock for me and get new titles on time, etc. I've seen like 5 or so video series from ex-gamestop exployees and little to nothing of it can be applied to my experience with them.

Maybe Australia just has better regulation or something?
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Return to “News & Articles”