Lady News!

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Lady News!

Postby sophyturtle » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:52 pm UTC

I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

Gunfingers

Re: Lady News!

Postby Gunfingers » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:59 pm UTC

I hope i'm not cheating by posting here without having a uturus, but...

Lady videos! Sarah Haskins amuses me to no end.

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:20 pm UTC

Uterus is no prerequisite here, I just wanted a news space for this sort of thing.

Sarah Haskins. She is pretty rad.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

Mountainhawk

Postby Mountainhawk » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:29 pm UTC

These aren't news articles ... they are press releases pushing an agenda.
"It doesn't matter who you vote for, the government always gets in." -- Elizabeth May, Canadian Green Party Leader

sophyturtle

Postby sophyturtle » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:33 pm UTC

All the original articles are linked, and they tie together multiple individual articles to give more insight to the story.
And they have sources from both sides of issues, giving talk time to conservatives and liberals.

But if you don't like it, go somewhere else.

Buttons

Postby Buttons » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:36 pm UTC

I believe the generally accepted term is "Odd News."

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:16 pm UTC

No offense, Sophy, but are you going to post stuff that's not from nationalpartnership.org also? Because we could just go to that site to see the stuff they post, so if you're not taking from a few different sources or commenting specifically on one article or another, it feels kind of redundant.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Artemis Leon

Postby Artemis Leon » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:14 pm UTC

Buttons wrote:I believe the generally accepted term is "Odd News."

Wow. I just read through almost all of those entries, and goddamn am I pissed. What the fuck is wrong with Reuters?
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.
-Socrates

Nath

Postby Nath » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:30 am UTC

Artemis Leon wrote:

Wow. I just read through almost all of those entries, and goddamn am I pissed. What the fuck is wrong with Reuters?

Most of those stories are, in fact, odd. Odd news != light news. I've seen plenty of grim stories in these sections, including gruesome murders and such. The Yahoo odd news page currently includes people practicing medicine without licenses or training, someone being bitten by a shark, someone attacking his neighbors with deadly weapons, a burglary, and other serious stories. That blogger seems to object to stories in the odd section where either a victim or a perpetrator is a woman.

And while I am well aware that the technical definitions of odd and weird and quirky are appropriate, in that this is certainly an unusual story, the problem as always is that the typical fare rounding out these news sections are unserious.

She is apparently upset that there are serious stories in a section that she claims is predominantly light and quirky. Yet the fact that she finds so many grim stories there shows that odd news is not, in fact, entirely unserious. It's a mix of good and bad, like you find in the regular news; the difference is that these stories are odd.

Granted, the odd section tends to contain more trivial stories on average, because trivial, non-odd stories wouldn't be newsworthy. But non-trivial things can end up there too, as long as they are sufficiently odd.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:48 am UTC

I really hope number 2 ends up with a deathmatch between the groups. Of course this now means twice the number of fucking events we have to put up with and protest... Living in Missouri sucks. Creationists with a microphone and speaker on campus are quite annoying.

TheStranger

Postby TheStranger » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:56 am UTC

Gunfingers wrote:I hope i'm not cheating by posting here without having a uturus, but...

Lady videos! Sarah Haskins amuses me to no end.

Is it OK for me to find those videos funny? I don't want to be a sexist SOB!
"To bow before the pressure of the ignorant is weakness."
Azalin Rex, Wizard-King of Darkon

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:29 pm UTC

TheStranger wrote:Is it OK for me to find those videos funny? I don't want to be a sexist SOB!

I just watched the Yogurt video, and it's meant to be hilarious. There's a point in it, too, but they're still funny.

That woman is clearly fucking awesome.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

Indon

Postby Indon » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:23 am UTC

I don't see the feminism aspect to be quite as bad as the bad reporting-aspect of just lumping joke news with clearly non-joke news. Not all of the clearly non-joke news in the joke news section was about women, though I wouldn't be surprised if there was a mild trend in that regard (at the least, in terms of posting the headlines).
So, I like talking. So if you want to talk about something with me, feel free to send me a PM.

My blog, now rarely updated.

sophyturtle

Postby sophyturtle » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:30 pm UTC

FDA Expands Use of HPV Vaccine Gardasil for Vaginal, Vulvar Cancer Prevention:
The idea that one vaccine (even if it takes multiple rounds to administer) can protect from cancer is amazing! Yes, it is still new. And of course people should not be forced to take the vaccine. Still, having had 4-5 close friends have part of their cervix removed in the last 7 years because of HPV, I see this as not only am important life saving innovation but also as a refreshing way to look at medicine. It seems for too long as long as it was something that only women had to face not much was done about it. I guess the idea that you can make preventing cancer profitable was as responsible for the development as the idea that you could save lives.
I think this is an important thing for females to think about. HPV is typically asymptomatic in males, and potentially cancerous in females. Yes, there are still over 100 strains of the virus that this vaccine does not cover but at least it covers the most deadly stains.

McCain Campaign Releases New Ad Touting His Support for Stem Cell Research:
"Bush twice has vetoed bills that would have allowed federal funding for research using stem cells derived from human embryos originally created for fertility treatments and willingly donated by patients" That is the part that bothers me. Fertility clinics discard tons of embryos. It is not like they are making new ones just for research. And if the researchers would use them, how is opposing their use falling under a 'pro-life' umbrella?
McCain in general worries me. The idea that he might be giving false hope to people (saying he would support it but possibly not backing that up once elected) would be devastating to the gaggles of people who could be helped by this.

Avoiding forced sterilization via asylum?:
We all know china does not have the best human rights record. This seems to fall under the idea of supporting bodily autonomy, and I think it is far. The idea that if you do not like how a place is run, you should get to leave makes a lot of sense to me. Especially when how that place is run might force you to undergo surgery.

The proposed Colorado ballot initiative to define a fertilized human egg as a person with all constitutional rights and accompanying opinion piece:
I am happy to see this has not passed yet, but am pretty scared that it could. Currently, I think Roe v. Wade protects the women of Colorado from this. However, if Palin had her way there would be no protect from things like this.
The world is sometimes a scary place.

my goal with this
Spoiler:
I wanted to have a place somewhere on here where people could share the things they see as affecting women. I know I could go through and post each of these individually, but they are not issolated things.
Also, I sometimes stumble upon things that I already know, and that don't affect *me* but might be interesting/important in the life of someone else. I wanted a place to put that too. I had been putting them in the women thread but there is already enough going on there that this made it almost too many things. I am sure some of these things will find their way back there but that thread wants to stay somewhat light heart-ed and these sorts of stories have serious impact. If news is not the right place for this sort of sharing tell me, and I will see if I can have it put in the correct place. But this is news. It might not be a single article that is easy to respond to but they are valid and it is hard for me to see sharing them as redundant.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:04 pm UTC

This content feels more N&A than woman threadish.

I don't think anyone has or should have a particular problem with this thread.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"

sophyturtle

Postby sophyturtle » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:25 pm UTC

What abstinence only sex ed might really be teaching:stereotypical gender roles.
I have always thought abstinence only education was a bad idea, but to hear it has been preaching gender roles to kids sort of pisses me off. Not only are they wasting time with misinformation about sex, but pressing the ideas of how boys and girls should act in relationships? When it comes from government funding, probably unconstitutional.

Surprise! Women's right groups support Obama!
The funny part of this for me is
Palin spokesperson Maria Comella said, "It's extremely disappointing that an organization that purports to be an advocate for all women not only opposes but feels compelled to go out of its way to criticize and make negative comments about the only ticket in the presidential race with a woman on the ticket" (AP/San Francisco Chronicle, 9/16).
Well, why not just go out an say it. Palin is just on the ticket to try to trick women into voting Republican. We all knew it, but to have them say it out loud? wow.

And and another study finding almost 1 in 5 young adult women have experienced forced sexual intercourse.
Not a new finding, and the study uses data collected from 2002 (but published this year). Still, this study shows the break down of the 'force' used in these cases of rape. I think many people have a lot of misconceptions about the force used, and often say things like 'what, was there a gun to your head?' Guns are not needed to force people to do things, or to force them to allow things to happen.
I don't know how much more often this needs to happen before it counts as an epidemic of violence towards women.

psyck0

Postby psyck0 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:41 pm UTC

sophyturtle wrote:What abstinence only sex ed might really be teaching:stereotypical gender roles.
I have always thought abstinence only education was a bad idea, but to hear it has been preaching gender roles to kids sort of pisses me off. Not only are they wasting time with misinformation about sex, but pressing the ideas of how boys and girls should act in relationships? When it comes from government funding, probably unconstitutional.

Surprise! Women's right groups support Obama!
The funny part of this for me is
Palin spokesperson Maria Comella said, "It's extremely disappointing that an organization that purports to be an advocate for all women not only opposes but feels compelled to go out of its way to criticize and make negative comments about the only ticket in the presidential race with a woman on the ticket" (AP/San Francisco Chronicle, 9/16).
Well, why not just go out an say it. Palin is just on the ticket to try to trick women into voting Republican. We all knew it, but to have them say it out loud? wow.

And and another study finding almost 1 in 5 young adult women have experienced forced sexual intercourse.
Not a new finding, and the study uses data collected from 2002 (but published this year). Still, this study shows the break down of the 'force' used in these cases of rape. I think many people have a lot of misconceptions about the force used, and often say things like 'what, was there a gun to your head?' Guns are not needed to force people to do things, or to force them to allow things to happen.
I don't know how much more often this needs to happen before it counts as an epidemic of violence towards women.

Very tricky issue. I wonder how many of the men would consider themselves to have raped those women. I am guessing that many of them would feel they had "seduced" them, and that the (probably emotional) pressure they applied was not even close to as significant as the women perceived it. The other large group I would consider would be the ones who were drunk and incapable of giving legal consent, and view it as coercion after the fact. I wonder how many of the guys even thought of that aspect.

We need more women to talk about their experiences and what they perceive as "rape". How much pressure is OK? Is it absolutely none? I would believe that you are allowed some moderate amount of pleading, although certainly no threats. And how many women regret their drunk sex enough to consider it involuntary? Men need to know more about this. Right now, I would believe it to be permissible to have sex with a drunk woman if she gave verbal consent (even though that verbal consent would not hold in a court of law), although I personally would never do it. That might change.

Excuse my confused ramblings. I had difficulty finding appropriate words.

Lumpy
I can has morbid obesity?

Postby Lumpy » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:35 am UTC

It's extremely disappointing that an organization that purports to be an advocate for all women not only opposes but feels compelled to go out of its way to criticize and make negative comments about the only ticket in the presidential race with a woman on the ticket

Are they calling Cynthia McKinney a man? Oh, wait, they just wanted to say "you shouldn't have done that because she was a woman" in a way that didn't sound as bad.

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:40 am UTC

I don't think they're considering Cynthia McKinney a candidate.

That being said, there are communists outside of one of UNC's libraries now, and one of their signs is about how McKinney and Obama aren't left-wing enough. I lolled.
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:12 am UTC

Trivia question: How many threads on this forum must become discussions of false rape accusation in order to turn Meaux into The Incredible Hulk?

it's more likely a smaller number than you think
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

TiPerihelion

Postby TiPerihelion » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:38 am UTC

Thanks for this thread, Sophy, and thanks also to Gunfingers for the link to the Sarah Haskins videos. I think I'm in love! Why can't all my friends be like Sarah?

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:50 pm UTC

TiPerihelion wrote:Thanks for this thread, Sophy, and thanks also to Gunfingers for the link to the Sarah Haskins videos. I think I'm in love! Why can't all my friends be like Sarah?

Buy them yogurt and cook them delicious frozen meals. They'll see the light.

Do you have spare gray hoodies you can lend them?

TiPerihelion

Postby TiPerihelion » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:15 am UTC

Nougatrocity wrote:Buy them yogurt and cook them delicious frozen meals. They'll see the light.

Do you have spare gray hoodies you can lend them?

No, dammit. Curses, now I see where I went wrong! Of course! No one will love me if I don't cook and buy them yogurt! Yeah - I'll talk to you guys later - I need to get to the grocery, pronto.

I'm gonna have to go clean the shower again just to wind down.... :D

sophyturtle

Postby sophyturtle » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:34 pm UTC

Trouble in South Dakota for women due to another anti-choice initiative. I am amazed by how many people are anti-choice until they face the decision themselves. There are too many times when the case is so specific the government will never protect women while making abortion harder to get.
But then, maybe the USA is like Russia and attempting to increase the population.

A little more on that HSS thing, and why it is very bad. The deadline for public response is Thursday, September 25th. If you don't know about this yet, it would compromise any treatment, medication, or even couseling that the practitioner finds morally objectionable. Including any family planning or safety issues, like condoms for some people. This not only threatens women, but sexual safety in general. If you don't want to use the link in the article, you can go here to speak against this. (And you can go here to see what Planned Parenthood has to say about all this.)

One last thing, UNIFEM reminding us that for some pregnancy is still a terminal condition. I bet the joys of motherhood are much more measurable when you survive the whole pregnancy/childbirth thing.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:17 am UTC

Huh. Josh Breeding of The Megas is the delivery man with the delivery from "mop."

sophyturtle

Postby sophyturtle » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:01 pm UTC

As a person of science I have noticed that women are often under represented so here we have a monthly review of Women's health research. Because information is important. Interesting but not surprising findings like " Investments in Publicly Funded Family Planning Services Reduce Unintended Pregnancies, Yield Substantial Savings " and "Medical Accuracy Needed in Sex Education" are always good to know about.

Other news:
Trouble in Indiana. It worries me when people lie about their intentions. Calling it a protection for women (in case of emergency) when really it is trying to make procedures more difficult to obtain (and therefor put more women in danger of unsafe abortive measures, among other complications) sickens me. Part of what makes this obvious is so far the only places that approve it don't have clinics anyway. I hope the rest of the state does not fall. If would be less insulting if the regulation (even if it was made to help women) was unnecessary to begin with. I cannot think of any hospital with an emergency room that will not allow a woman access when she has internal hemorrhaging.

I am not the only one worried about the safety of reproductive rights. These issues could become a big problem, and endanger the health and freedom of women around the country. It is something worth thinking about.

There is still the question of virginity testing.
"Virginity testing acts as a culturally sanctioned abstinence campaign, they say, preventing disease, unwanted pregnancy and even rape -- the identification of young girls who are not virgins, their theory goes, can detect child abusers in the community."
This I sort of doubt. Do we really thing a female who claims to have been raped, and that is why her hymen is not intact, will be believed? Because people are very happy to say 'hey, you older male respected member of the community!You raped this girl! We of course don't believe you over her because it would be easier to shun her than punish you...' She won't be shunned and called some version of slut? Never mind the women born without hymens.
I admittedly don't know enough the process of virginity testing. Is it somewhat like a OBGYN examine (with you family present, and maybe some other people)? if so this may be the only way some of these women have access to this sort of health care. Of course, I guess once you have sex you forfeit the ability to have any exam at all.
There is of course the worry that this testing would endanger some women and girls, since there are places where it is thought thatAIDS/HIV can be cured by having sex with a virgin.

Gunfingers

Postby Gunfingers » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:39 pm UTC

sophyturtle wrote:...there are places where it is thought thatAIDS/HIV can be cured by having sex with a virgin.

In every version i've read, it's VD in general, not just AIDS/HIV. But i'm sure there are many variations, it's a myth after all.

Amusingly, in The Great Train Robbery a prostitute is hired to pretend to be a virgin. She is then banged by a guy with the clap while someone steals keys out of his discarded trousers.

sophyturtle

Postby sophyturtle » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:27 pm UTC

After all, what good is virginity is you cannot use it to solve someone else's problems? It seems to me proving a girl is a virgin could expose her to the sort of people who believe the myth, and proving she is not a virgin could make her an outcast from her social group. Either way I think putting this much emphasis on a young girl or teenager's sexuality is not appropriate.
Any time there is a single measure used to judge worth, people lose out big time. Of course, since there is no male virginity test (and the virginity of males is no where near as highly valued) only females face this sort of categorization and societal outcomes.

sophyturtle

Postby sophyturtle » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:23 pm UTC

Potential trouble for California's family planning services:
While I understand some people are nervous about the US government paying for services used by illegal immigrants, it seems like this is a horrible way to deal with it. Increasing the operating costs by 40% to make sure they know the exact number of illegal immigrants using it with hurt the amount of people they can help. I know I am all liberal and things, but making sure people get proper family planning and health services is more important to me than making sure non-citizens don't get it.
The timing makes is seem especially politically charged...

Replace second mammogram?
I am not sure about that, but in places that do not currently use 2 doctors to screen mammograms this technology could save lives, or at least a few breasts. And I know we all like breasts.

Gunfingers

Postby Gunfingers » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:43 pm UTC

Well if you durned hippies would just let us take over the world like we want to everyone would be a US citizen! Problem solved!

sophyturtle

Postby sophyturtle » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:08 pm UTC

Turns out that drinking during the end of a pregnancy might not be so bad after all.
Conclusions Children born to mothers who drank up to 1–2 drinks per week or per occasion during pregnancy were not at increased risk of clinically relevant behavioural difficulties or cognitive deficits compared with children of abstinent mothers. Heavy drinking during pregnancy appears to be associated with behavioural problems and cognitive deficits in offspring at age 3 years whereas light drinking does not.

I mean, binge drinking is still out but light drinking in the third trimester? Maybe even helpful. Which would be really strange.

Other lady research. In case you want more.

sophyturtle

Postby sophyturtle » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:27 pm UTC

Some International News:

Looks like banning over the counter EC does not help anyone. One would think the 'pro-life' groups here would see this and think maybe keeping BC and EC around is a good idea.

South Africa could really benefit from a drop in the costs of the HPV vaccine. Actually, I think most of the world would like to see the price drop. It seems like here it could actually do a lot of good though. I wonder who we talk to about this.

Delalyra

Postby Delalyra » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:01 pm UTC

So, that HHS "provider conscience" regulation? The one where anyone can refuse to do virtually anything if they have a religious or moral objection to it? They passed it anyways, a few days ago. :(
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:03 pm UTC

And assuming Obama doesn't betray any more of his core supporters, it will take such administration months to repeal it.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

sophyturtle

Postby sophyturtle » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:05 pm UTC

Looks like Obama will be doing at least one thing right of the bat to help out women.
Equal pay for equal work is long over due.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:19 pm UTC

sophyturtle wrote:As a person of science I have noticed that women are often under represented

This. I looked through my biology texts, and out of 6 books there is only one woman author.

Doesn't sound as bad as when I then tell you that each book has on average four authors.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

sophyturtle

Postby sophyturtle » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:22 pm UTC

No Joke. Women are underrepresented on both sides of the world of scientific literature (authors and subjects).

Oh, you can sign a petition supporting equal pay. And Contact your local rep to vote well here.
You know, if you like ladies ;)

And one more thing here to try and get ride of that HHS crap :(

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:27 pm UTC

I'm unfortunately not a USian, but luckily I have already signed a petition headed to Parliament worded very similarly.

I'll look into contacting my MP though.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

sophyturtle

Postby sophyturtle » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:45 pm UTC

Clinton is back in the news after her press conference on becoming Secretary of State. She says quite a few things, but this is what caught my eye (and would have caught more eyes if it was not the last part of the article.
the article wrote:She also laid out an ambitious agenda for working on women’s health.

“Of particular concern to me,” she said, “is the plight of women and girls, who comprise the majority of the world’s unhealthy, unschooled, unfed and unpaid.”

Mrs. Clinton noted that Mr. Obama’s mother, Ann Dunham, had worked on microfinance in Indonesia and that she had been scheduled to attend a microfinance forum at the women’s conference in Beijing in 1995, in which Mrs. Clinton took part. Ms. Dunham, she said, was too ill to travel.

“We will be honored to carry on Ann Dunham’s work in the months and years ahead,” Mrs. Clinton said.

This will be very important. Women are so often the victims of war, civic unrest, and poverty in general. Having someone who is not going to push the issue to the side is a huge improvement (even if the press is pushing to the back). Awareness is always the first step in ending injustice, and I must say I am very hopeful when it comes to the next round of the US in international affairs.

Return to “News & Articles”